PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

novicius
November 16th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Thor and his magic patu: notes on a very Māori Marvel movie (https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/31-10-2017/thor-and-his-magic-patu-notes-on-a-very-maori-marvel-movie/) :lol: :up:

novicius
November 16th, 2017, 11:42 AM
The Batman Director Wants Jake Gyllenhaal to Replace Ben Affleck? (https://movieweb.com/the-batman-jake-gyllenhaal-replace-ben-affleck/)

Director and film critic John Campea revealed on his YouTube show, "I'm hesitant to say anything, but I talked to a Hollywood producer yesterday who told me who Matt Reeves wants as Batman." Campea goes on to say that he was taken aback by the news and even called a source close to the project that confirmed what he had heard.

According to Campea, Matt Reeves wants Jake Gyllenhaal to step up and play Bruce Wayne. It's important to note that this is an unconfirmed rumor at this time, but even if Gyllenhaal were to be announced, it wouldn't be until after the Justice League dust has settled.

Jake Gyllenhaal was up for the part of Batman in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, but the part ultimately went to Christian Bale (which is good, since Jake's sister Maggie ended up playing Bruce Wayne's love interest in The Dark Knight Rises). It would be a neat turn of events to see Gyllenhaal get his second chance and give his take on the character.

GreatScawt
November 16th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Stranger Things Season 2 was pretty great. :up:

Freude am Fahren
November 16th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I like Jake Gyllenhaal, think he could make a good batman, though maybe a better villain?

Also, I'm one episode short of finishing Stranger Things 2 tonight.

MR2 Fan
November 16th, 2017, 06:08 PM
they did it, they f-ing did it!

RAMPAGE the movie (based on the 80's video game)....starring The Rock of course

https://youtu.be/SaZNFH4OORg

Cam
November 17th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Started to watch The Punisher. I am half-way through the first episode. I am interested so far.

George
November 17th, 2017, 11:34 AM
they did it, they f-ing did it!

RAMPAGE the movie (based on the 80's video game)....starring The Rock of course

https://youtu.be/SaZNFH4OORg

That looks like every other movie The Rock has appeared in.

MR2 Fan
November 18th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I tried watching a few episodes of Rick and Morty.....I don't get it.

speedpimp
November 18th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Shot Caller aka Jamie Lannister Goes To Prison.

G'day Mate
November 18th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I tried watching a few episodes of Rick and Morty.....I don't get it.

Watch a few more - the first few are a bit ... :erm:

MR2 Fan
November 20th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Finally watched Thor:Rangnarok. I did think it was a bit too silly at times, however I never thought things weren't funny and the audience I was with (practically full theater) seemed to enjoy all of it.

My questions going forward

Did Loki steal the Tesseract?
Isn't there another infinity stone that was supposed to appear soon...maybe its in Black Panther?
Will Thor grow his hair back by Infinity War?

George
November 20th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Picked up John Wick (the first one) on DVD on a whim from the library this weekend. I've watched about half of it so far.

My non-spoiler but rather opinionated review, so far:

Wow, do "action" (meaning violent) movies get any more generic than this? There's barely a plot at all.

Sometimes I find myself thinking that I should watch more newer movies so I know what people are talking about.

Then I see crap like this.

21Kid
November 20th, 2017, 11:51 AM
MR2. I just saw Thor as well.

I think he did (re 1st question)

novicius
November 21st, 2017, 04:32 AM
Justice League actuals: $93,842,239 (https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/932748860035883008)

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2742&stc=1

sandydandy
November 21st, 2017, 08:54 AM
Isn't there another infinity stone that was supposed to appear soon...maybe its in Black Panther?
I think so.
At this point I've lost track of the infinity gem-err, stones.
Hopefully, and I hope he re-forges Mjolnir when he comes back to earth. It's a little odd seeing him without his mighty hammer.

MR2 Fan
November 21st, 2017, 10:23 AM
I think so.
At this point I've lost track of the infinity gem-err, stones.
Hopefully, and I hope he re-forges Mjolnir when he comes back to earth. It's a little odd seeing him without his mighty hammer.

The concept art posted (leaked?) several months ago for Infinity War had Thor holding another kind of weapon

sandydandy
November 21st, 2017, 02:33 PM
The concept art posted (leaked?) several months ago for Infinity War had Thor holding another kind of weapon Just saw it. It looks like an axe. Maybe inspired by Ultimate Thor.

Anyway, this page (http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_Stones) shows the locations of the different infinity stones. Soul is the only one that hasn’t appeared yet. I’m hoping we see it on the forehead of Adam Warlock. Can’t have a Thanos story without him.

speedpimp
November 21st, 2017, 02:37 PM
Justice League actuals: $93,842,239 (https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/932748860035883008)

But it did take in 280+ million worldwide.

Cam
November 25th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Finished The Punisher today. I enjoyed it, for the most part.

The ending was a major stretch of believeability. “Well, Frank, you brutally murdered dozens of people, but they were bad guys, so it’s OK. You can go now.”

novicius
November 29th, 2017, 05:04 AM
I agree, Cam -- that was laughably bad. :down:

Last night I took my lady to see Thor Ragnarok. She's normally skeptical of superhero movies but she did indeed enjoy this one. :up:

JSGeneral
November 29th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Finally watched Thor:Rangnarok. I did think it was a bit too silly at times, however I never thought things weren't funny and the audience I was with (practically full theater) seemed to enjoy all of it.

My questions going forward

All of your questions and more are answered in the newly released Infinity War Trailer!!!

https://youtu.be/6ZfuNTqbHE8

21Kid
November 29th, 2017, 08:07 AM
:eek::up:

JoeW
November 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Boom!

Cam
November 29th, 2017, 12:50 PM
OMG WANT!

sandydandy
November 29th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Can't wait!

DelSolMan
November 29th, 2017, 12:59 PM
You know when you eat a pack of skittles and you start off one by one. When you're close to the end you dump the entire rest of the bag into your mouth and it tastes like rainbows and sunshine. I feel like each Marvel movie thus far is a single candy and we're getting the rest of the bag in Infinity Wars.

Cam
November 29th, 2017, 01:42 PM
:erm:

:lol:

speedpimp
November 29th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Finishing up the final season of Longmire.

21Kid
November 29th, 2017, 02:27 PM
I wonder what is going to happen after these movies. I'm kind of sad that they're coming to an end.

Sure they can roll out new heroes. But, I've grown up with these characters. It's really been an amazing 10 years or so, for me.

DelSolMan
November 29th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Marvel said they had 20 movies planned after Avengers 3 and 4. I feel like they're going to kill of some characters in this arc. With the recent Spider-Man and Thor, team-ups seem to be the new direction. I bet we'll start to see more buddy-cop/superheroes movies rather than big epic teams.

I think confirmed movies are Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp. Guardians 3 will be made for sure. I'm excited for their treatment of Captain Marvel. I think Brie Larson would be really good. They could dive into more magical stuff with Dr. Strange and more space adventures with Guardians.

MR2 Fan
November 29th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Dr. Strange has another movie confirmed also.

Freude am Fahren
November 29th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Ruffalo never got his own movie, did he? Maybe it's too late for that though.

MR2 Fan
November 29th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Ruffalo never got his own movie, did he? Maybe it's too late for that though.

There's a contract tied up with Universal on that.

Also, I loved the Mantis wave at the end of the trailer

sandydandy
November 30th, 2017, 05:24 AM
It’d be cool if Marvel worked out a deal with Fox and got the rights to the Fantastic Four back in time for Avengers 4. They’re sorely missed in these mega end-of-the-world type stories. The MCU needs Doom. It’s a far-fetched dream, I know.

Jason
November 30th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Post Avengers 4 would be a perfect time to bring Fantastic Four into the MCU.

Personally, I think even if Disney gets the rights to X-Men, they should keep that universe separate for now, until they can reboot it properly into the MCU.

DelSolMan
November 30th, 2017, 09:48 AM
I recall a few weeks ago Disney trying to buy Fox. It didn't go through but I have a gut feeling it might still happen one day. Disney would get distribution rights to the original Star Wars trilogy and FF/X-Men. Disney is launching an online service soon so that might be motivation for more content. In that case, I do think they would reboot it into the MCU. The X-Men universe is a mess. It really needs some cleanup.

MR2 Fan
December 6th, 2017, 06:54 AM
GOTG2 is on Netflix (though I had to basically search and type the full name for it to show up for some reason)...I had seen it in theaters once already, watched it again last night...probably my favorite movie of 2017

Leon
December 7th, 2017, 10:15 PM
The Grand Tour.

Series 2, episode 1.

Literally fell asleep during.

dodint
December 8th, 2017, 05:45 AM
I watched about three episodes of S1 and then never went back. Mostly apathy, nothing against the show but the whole tent thing just didn't work for me.

MR2 Fan
December 8th, 2017, 06:09 AM
watched the Jurassic World 2 trailer and um...worse than I expected in the "let's pick the most trite and useless reason to go back to the park" way

MR2 Fan
December 8th, 2017, 07:36 AM
I watched about three episodes of S1 and then never went back. Mostly apathy, nothing against the show but the whole tent thing just didn't work for me.

So it was "too in tents" for you?

.....in other news, I also am catching up on The Orville episodes....and episode 7...wow, really good analogy to modern connected society

they go to an earth-like planet where the worth of everyone is decided by an upvote/downvote button on a badge, once you reach enough of downvotes, you get reprogrammed

21Kid
December 8th, 2017, 08:12 AM
I was trying to give the new Top Gear a chance to get into a groove. IDK if it'll happen... the forced jokes are horrible.

Leon
December 8th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Top Gear, or Grand Tour?

Top Gear reboot I enjoyed once they ditched the incredibly annoying DJ frontman. Matt Leblanc is actually not a bad dude from what comes across in the show. He's not super spontaneous, but that might come with time.

Grand Tour, not so much. Too stuck in their familiar routine. I enjoy their adventure episodes, and some of their cheap car challenge episodes (generally speaking).

Weirdly, Top Gear USA (not the first season obviously) I actually miss. Nothing but adventure / cheap car challenge episodes, and I found the big dude with the beard to be an adorable car geek.

dodint
December 8th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Rutledge Wood?

New Top Gear UK might as well not exist for me. I'm sure Matt Leblanc is a good guy and all, but get real with that.

JSGeneral
December 8th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Every episode of the old MTV show Liquid Television! (https://archive.org/details/Liquid_Television)

tigeraid
December 8th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Exact opposite for me. Really grew to enjoy the new Top Gear as the season progressed--Chris Harris is awesome and has always been awesome, and Matt LeBlanc is a serious car guy who really seems to care about the job. I certainly don't HATE the Grand Tour, but it feels a bit old hat.

dodint
December 8th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I've had a terrible dislike for Chris Harris for a long time so that's part of it. The show was a non-option from the start for me.

Leon
December 8th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Well yeah, if you hate Chris Harris, it's going to be not for you.

speedpimp
December 8th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Loved the second season of Top Gear. It was a lot better once they got rid of that annoying ass ginger.

tigeraid
December 9th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Oh, I do mean Season 2 onward, yeah. I didn't even bother watching S1 to be honest.

novicius
December 19th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Just a quick note that Marvel's The Punisher has been officially renewed for Season 2 (https://twitter.com/thepunisher/status/940687788072058881?lang=en). :hard: #reload

Cam
December 19th, 2017, 10:57 AM
:cool:

Jason
December 19th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Started watching Mindhunter over the weekend, only 4 episodes in, but I absolutely love the discussions had in it so far.

novicius
December 19th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah, MH is The Business. Can't wait for season 2! :up: :up:

speedpimp
December 20th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Wormwood.

Freude am Fahren
December 20th, 2017, 03:43 PM
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, first episode.

Could be interesting, definitely going to check out more of it.

A couple of incredible guest stars make an appearance towards the end of the first episode :D

sandydandy
December 25th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I saw the ads on Facebook for the tenth anniversary of Breaking Bad, so I spent the last week watching season 5. Wrapped it up last night. It was so great.

MR2 Fan
December 25th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I saw the trailer for "Downsizing"....a very strange looking movie that tells me two things:

1.) Drugs are still popular in Hollywood
2.) Seems a really odd way of promoting the idea of using less resources

Prediction: Flop

speedpimp
December 25th, 2017, 01:44 PM
A couple of recent horror flicks: The Blackcoat's Daughter and Raw. Both are really good.

Blerpa
December 26th, 2017, 09:29 AM
So I got around to watch the first 3 episodes of the new season of The Gran Tour: better than the first season. They dropped the useless bit and went back to what they do best: be idiots around cars.
Actually I'm really looking forward to season specials with long adventures abroad, hopefully.

As I already said in the specific thread I did watch The Last Jedi and enjoyed it.
Also watched the first episode of Dark, the german supernatural obscure new series, with friend of mine that has Netflix... we liked it and will definitely watch for more.

novicius
December 28th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Anybody else get around to watching Bright?

Simplistic and sorely lacking in any lore-building of the world -- but I enjoyed it for what it was. :lol:

Freude am Fahren
December 28th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I kinda wanted more on the world, but I do like that they just throw you into this world, and you find out as you go all of the things that exist in it. I like the Centaur policemen. :lol:

I imagined it as the Lord of The Ring world a few millennia later.

novicius
December 28th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Yeah some cringey dialogue ("Magic Wand"), awkward moments of honesty ala' Suicide Squad, and the simplified monobloc ethnicities ("Humans", "Elves", "Orcs" etc) without distinction are all weak points.

But people are really liking it, hell I like it even as a guy who really wants the deep dive into world-building and lore. :up:

Looking forward to hopefully more lore and fleshing out the world in the now-greenlit sequel.

Leon
December 28th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I watched it last night.

Struck me as a mash up of Lethal Weapon and Underworld.

It was an okay movie. Will Smith isn't exactly pushing out the boat much on his acting chops. Very much Will Smith playing the Will Smith Action Role [tm] and not an iota more than that.

Freude am Fahren
December 28th, 2017, 10:32 AM
What I don't really get it why everyone wanted the magic wand if it seems obvious that it would just blow them up. Like let them all have it until no one's left.

novicius
December 28th, 2017, 11:02 AM
They can still be "handled" (via gloves or bags) by the vast majority of people and then ransomed off to (most likely Elven) Brights.

Freude am Fahren
December 28th, 2017, 08:36 PM
I didn't really think of ransoming. Obviously they can't use them, but Poison talked about walking again. Maybe ransom them off with requests for the bright to use on them? Why on earth (or whatever planet it is) they would think the bright would comply instead of just vaporizing them though...

Maybe it's not widely known that not anyone can use them.

novicius
December 29th, 2017, 04:47 AM
True, true -- the only way Poison would get 100% whole is via a Wish. Maybe he thought that his Altamira homies would back his play on a Bright?

Not that his crew helped Poison out very much in the end against the Inferni coven leader Leilah... ;) #gakk

speedpimp
December 29th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I liked Bright. I expected it to be a bit more unhinged ala Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency or I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore, but it wasn't. A sequel is in the works.

Kchrpm
December 29th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I didn't really think of ransoming. Obviously they can't use them, but Poison talked about walking again. Maybe ransom them off with requests for the bright to use on them? Why on earth (or whatever planet it is) they would think the bright would comply instead of just vaporizing them though...

Maybe it's not widely known that not anyone can use them.

I don't know how spoiler-y it is, but just for safety:

I believe it might be an allegory of things like the lottery, or any of the other ways that people in poverty think they'll be able to jump into the upper class, which is why so many in some demographics vote against their own needs, because they view themselves as one miracle or lucky break from being one of the haves. Will they, or any of their people, be a bright? Probably not. But they're also not going to win the lottery, or make it in the NFL, or etc etc. Just, in this case, they're willing to die (and/or have others die for them) to find out. Makes it very visceral.

The fact that the magic wands don't seem to work just by granting wishes by speaking to them in anything other than Elvish, so even if one of them could wield it, they couldn't use it, is probably just part of not understanding the lore. Maybe magic wands are known to have existed, but are so rare that the stories about them have all been twisted and mistold.

speedpimp
December 29th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Black Mirror season 4.

Freude am Fahren
December 29th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Happy!

So fucked up, and strange, but I love it.

As good as Christopher Meloni was on SVU, he's born for roles like this and Wet, Hot.

I don't really like the female detective character, but it's still early.

Also, apparently SyFy has completely abandoned worrying about language. I thought I was watching HBO or Showtime in the first episode with all the 'fuck's. Not as many since, so it was probably a Pilot shopped to the pay cable stations.

And they are going hardcore on the limited commercials, which I like. Not as innovative as they were on the 12 Monkeys binge season release thing, but I really like the chances they are taking.

novicius
January 2nd, 2018, 05:21 AM
I found a ton of Bright-related lore on the interwebs. I think I'll probably start a specific thread on this show later today.

My wife & I were jonesing for some other psychodrama after completing Mindhunter a month ago. So we gave Unabomber a shot (starring Mr. Jennifer Connolly, Paul Bettany in the titular role and a slimed-down Sam Worthington with special guest appearance by Jane Lynch :up: ). Really well done, we dug it.

I also ground through Wormwood over the break. For a stylish conspiracy theorist drama, it's really well done -- shades of JFK there. :up:

Leon
January 2nd, 2018, 09:33 AM
My wife & I were jonesing for some other psychodrama after completing Mindhunter a month ago.

Have you watched The Fall, with Gillian Anderson (using her actual accent, rather than 'murican)? I would rate this is being one of my fave all time crime series. Has quite a bit of "what is going on in the mind of the killer" stuff in it, and is dark like a mofo. Gillian Anderson is alarmingly good.

novicius
January 2nd, 2018, 11:21 AM
Not yet but it's on the docket. We went through The Killing early last year; wife lost interest but I finished it. :up:

JoshInKC
January 2nd, 2018, 03:51 PM
Have you watched The Fall, with Gillian Anderson (using her actual accent, rather than 'murican)? I would rate this is being one of my fave all time crime series. Has quite a bit of "what is going on in the mind of the killer" stuff in it, and is dark like a mofo. Gillian Anderson is alarmingly good.

Is that her real accent? I've never been sure, since she was raised both here and there, and she slips between them so easily.

Leon
January 2nd, 2018, 05:18 PM
Yup, when she is being interviewed, she has an English accent.

Freude am Fahren
January 2nd, 2018, 05:31 PM
Speaking of her, X-Files is back, and she looks great in the previews.

G'day Mate
January 2nd, 2018, 05:43 PM
Black Mirror season 4.

Just got to the end of this last night. Pretty good :up:

Actually, I quite liked the one that everyone seems to hate, where the lady is being chased by that vengeful toaster contraption. "Metalhead"

sandydandy
January 3rd, 2018, 05:44 AM
Not yet but it's on the docket. We went through The Killing early last year; wife lost interest but I finished it. :up: The Killing was great. Netflix did something funny and removed season 3. They left the first two seasons, and the fourth intact, but removed the third. Can’t explain it.

speedpimp
January 10th, 2018, 04:34 PM
CHIPS. I really liked this. It was way better than I thought it would be.

Leon
January 10th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Better Late Than Never (TV series).

Travel "documentary" with George Foreman, Henry Winkler, Captain Kirk, and Terry Bradshaw in it.

Features high levels of shenanigans. Also, now I think Henry Winkler is possibly the nicest man alive.

novicius
January 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM
He really is! #fonzie

Just finished up both Person of Interest and the 2nd season of Travelers. The wonderful Enrico Colantoni plays a bad guy in both shows. :lol:

JoshInKC
January 11th, 2018, 04:04 AM
The wife and I just rewatched POI, that was such a good show. That S4 finale scene with Welcome to the Machine over it is utterly amazing and heartbreaking.
We've started Fringe again since we finished.

G'day Mate
January 11th, 2018, 04:27 AM
Designated Survivor

dodint
January 11th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Finished The Ranch part 4. It ended up a pretty good cliff hanger, have no idea how they'll write around Danny Masterson's immediate exit. Given none of the claims against him were ever substantiated I'm hoping they go on hiatus and just bring him back once the pendulum of the American public's attention span swings back the other way.

sandydandy
January 11th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I watched All Eyez On Me. I thought it was pretty decent, but would have to agree with critics who say it merely scratched the surface of Tupac's life. I would've liked to have seen more of his childhood experiences and early teenage years, for starters. I think Pac deserved better than this.

On the plus side, Demetrius Shipp Jr's performance was thoroughly outstanding, and don't even get me started on the resemblance. I had to do double takes several times throughout the film. The resemblance is just unreal.

dodint
January 11th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Three Billboards is really great, do watch.

novicius
January 12th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Netflix signs Matt Reeves to a 'first look' deal for any movie his production company wants to make. (http://deadline.com/2018/01/matt-reeves-batman-netflix-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-mutiyear-first-look-deal-1202236198/)

Probably kicks in after 'The Batman' for Warner Bros.

Blerpa
January 12th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Not exactly a good director.
Hopes on the new Batman now hit a new low. At least for me.

novicius
January 12th, 2018, 12:27 PM
You bring up a good point, Ang -- who are some directors you like that are 1.) alive today, and 2.) have filmed a movie where the budget was at least $50 million USD?

21Kid
January 12th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Just started watching Psych. :lol: I know I'm behind the times.

Are you talking about the movie CHiPS, Rich? I skipped it because the reviews were so bad. If it's funny though, I might still check it out.

I too enjoy Travelers... But something always gets messed up with time travel shows. ;)

speedpimp
January 13th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Yes, the movie, Bill. It's a good way to pass the time and it doesn't suck.

balki
January 13th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Just started watching Psych. :lol: I know I'm behind the times...
You're not alone. As long as it's not a big hit that's constantly referenced then getting to watch 100 episodes on your own time is tops (or were you talking about Psych: The Movie that aired just last month)

Blerpa
January 14th, 2018, 12:43 AM
You bring up a good point, Ang -- who are some directors you like that are 1.) alive today, and 2.) have filmed a movie where the budget was at least $50 million USD?

I'd try with Villeneuve, Doug Liman or Kosinski.
Or Del Toro!

speedpimp
January 14th, 2018, 03:13 AM
Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon. Worth a look if you're into sci-fi.

Alan P
January 14th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Three Billboards is really great, do watch.

It really is very, very good, but not for young ears. Or elderly, easily offended ones.

dodint
January 14th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Yeah, it's refreshingly crude.

Dicknose
January 14th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Another Pysch fan.
Also a House fan and just binging on it right now.
Both have the “Sherlock Holmes” factor of someone who can read clues and make amazing deductions, but for different effects.
I poor on that sort of observational skill, especially on people, but really enjoy seeing the brain-in-overdrive style show.

Cam
January 15th, 2018, 02:25 AM
I was saying to novi the other day when a show introduces time travel it has jumped the shark. The latest season of Agents Of Shield starts with the team 70 years in the future. It has been out for a couple of months already, but I only just startied watching.

The last season of Dark Matter used time travel too. Then, it got really wacky. The last scene was super out there and the show was cancelled. :lol:

novicius
January 15th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Time travel is just one of those core dreams of humanity. :D

Re: Travelers on Netflix

In Travelers case, the entire show is about time travelers. I find it interesting in the sense that they're not sending anything material back in time, just data.Travelers is definitely one of those shows where you have to like the ensemble cast & concept. It's kinda tough to proselytize about IMO because it unfolds slowly with actors who aren't necessarily the most "instantly magnetic" group of people to watch. :lol: But Eric McCormack is definitely good here (he of Will & Grace fame) and is certainly playing a different type of guy.

It's basically a Canadian show being made jointly between Netflix & Showcase Originals, which includes shows like Haven, Mr Robot, Runaways and Supergirl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showcase_(Canadian_TV_channel)#Current). So it's not like it doesn't have quality, money and support behind it -- here's hoping we'll see a Season 3 even in the face of the return of Will & Grace.

EDIT: Also the showrunner is Brad Wright of Stargate fame, FWIW.

Also-also, in case it wasn't clear I do like this cast -- I enjoy this group better than the Agents of Shield crew, actually.

balki
January 15th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Too many "also" (alsoes?) to end that last post or does Also-also = 0 alsoes?

novicius
January 15th, 2018, 05:54 AM
Just easier to keep throwing things into the same post, I find. ;)

...here's hoping we'll see a [Travelers] Season 3 even in the face of the return of Will & Grace.

EricMcCormack[S] 14 points 26 days ago

Honestly, my dream right now is to keep the crazy combo of Travelers and W&G going for a while. Really happy camper. My dream for years was to play Freddie Mercury but, alas...
This is about the most recent declaration I can find so that's good. :up:

Freude am Fahren
January 15th, 2018, 08:27 AM
4 episodes into the latest season of Black Mirror (4). It's a let down so far.

Blerpa
January 15th, 2018, 01:11 PM
I was saying to novi the other day when a show introduces time travel it has jumped the shark. The latest season of Agents Of Shield starts with the team 70 years in the future. It has been out for a couple of months already, but I only just startied watching.

Actually it is pretty contemporary, so much that I'm watching them as they come out.
Anyhow, it is weird... and full of silly and meh moments. Feels like they have gone back to the lacklustre scripts and locations of the first season.
Hopefully they will move forward from this... it really looks pants.

Leon
January 15th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Youtube.

Critical Role, new season.

It's "nerdy ass voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons" by their own description.

With something insane like 140 4 hour episodes in their first story arc (over three years), this is probably weirdly, the media that I am most invested in.

sandydandy
January 15th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Watching Better Call Saul. Just started the second season. I’d lost interest in this series for some reason a couple of years ago and didn’t bother to watch the second season. Had to rewatch the first season, as I had forgotten quite a bit. Pretty good stuff.

Cam
January 15th, 2018, 06:14 PM
I do not often just sit down and watch TV for extended periods, but I watched more stuff today than in the last six months combined. I just felt like doing nothing today.

tigeraid
January 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Watching Better Call Saul. Just started the second season. I’d lost interest in this series for some reason a couple of years ago and didn’t bother to watch the second season. Had to rewatch the first season, as I had forgotten quite a bit. Pretty good stuff.

Super slow burn at times, but goddamn if it's not the show on TV the last little while. Stick with it.

Related: Altered Carbon starts on Netflix soon. Eagerly anticipating that.

Jason
January 16th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Checked out the first episode of:

-American Gods
-Handmaid's Tale
-Ash vs The Evil Dead

All three are going to get a series watch from me :up:

novicius
January 16th, 2018, 09:53 AM
I do not often just sit down and watch TV for extended periods, but I watched more stuff today than in the last six months combined. I just felt like doing nothing today.
So what did you watch? :D

sandydandy
January 16th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Super slow burn at times, but goddamn if it's not the show on TV the last little while. Stick with it. Just wrapped up season 2. Jimmy’s story is progressing at an excruciatingly slow pace, but still enjoyable. Mike’s story is far more interesting. Looking forward to season 3. Sadly not on Netflix yet, so I’ll have to find it elsewhere.

Cam
January 16th, 2018, 04:13 PM
So what did you watch? :D

Oh yeah. :lol: Five or six episodes of Agents of Shield and half-a-dozen episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

dodint
January 17th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Get Out was one of the more entertaining movies I've watched in years. I don't like Jordan Peele but he deserves whatever awards he'll get from this.

Leon
January 17th, 2018, 10:18 PM
The End of the F**king World.

Rather a bleak little show, but good thus far (Episode 5).

Denetti
January 18th, 2018, 05:54 AM
The End of the F**king World.

Rather a bleak little show, but good thus far (Episode 5).

Yeah, I was surprised by that one. Going in I didn't think it was going to be very good, but I wound up liking it.

Leon
January 18th, 2018, 09:49 AM
If you liked the general vibe of that, you might enjoy the Brit series Utopia. It's a few years old now, but was kind of fascinating (and a much bigger story arc).

novicius
January 19th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I'd try with Villeneuve
Well he's working on Dune so that should be amazing. :up:

sandydandy
January 19th, 2018, 07:14 AM
I saw Babadook. It was okay.

speedpimp
January 19th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Starting the second season of Search Party.

Freude am Fahren
January 19th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Well he's working on Dune so that should be amazing. :up:

No shit? That's awesome. I still need to see Blade Runner and Prisoners.

I think Sicario was one of the more underrated films in recent years. I hope the sequel is good too (not being directed by Denis Villeneuve).

Other directors I think are really great, though some that aren't really doing much now, and one that's gone:

Tony Scott (died a few years ago, though some of his movies can float towards Bay territory. He and Denzel were a great combo) And of course Ridley too (looking forward to seeing All The Money in The World).
Michael Mann (he kinda ushered in digital movie making, and most of my favorite directors probably are influenced by his style. He's making an Enzo Ferrari biopic right now! And yes, I liked Miami Vice.)
David Fincher (LOVE his visual style. He's made some of my favorite films, including Seven and Fight Club. I really wish he, Mara, and Craig had continued the english version of Millenium series).
Danny Boyle (he does so much I like, but some stuff I hate, like the super slow shutter speed crap)
Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men is another one of my favorite films. Would love to see more from him)
Kathryn Bigelow (Can you tell I love gritty realist type movies?)
Sofia Coppola (guilty pleasure)

speedpimp
January 19th, 2018, 04:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NMhaeC62U

balki
January 21st, 2018, 07:29 PM
So.... there's this trailer with Dwayne the Rock Johnson in some sort of monster movie where buildings get destroyed and it reminded me of an old game from the 80s
... turns out the movie is called Rampage.
I actually think it'll turn out to be a good guilty pleasure movie

Then there's Ready Player One which looks like it could be terrible, but it's by Steven Spielberg and had a ton of cool character and cars licenced (I know I should be posting the trailers, but I'm on my phone)

21Kid
January 22nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
I'm looking forward to Ready Player One.

Rampage... Seems like they are only looking to cash in on the name recognition. :smh: Looks nothing like the game.

dodint
January 22nd, 2018, 11:02 AM
People are already showing up at my DMC forum with RPO names. :|

novicius
January 22nd, 2018, 11:36 AM
:lol:

I was wondering how you're gonna feel about that.

dodint
January 22nd, 2018, 11:53 AM
I mentioned it somewhere before. The BTTF day in 2015 came and went, and over time the association would've faded. Now it's been renewed for the next 30+ years with RPO references. Oh well, doesn't affect me. I liked the book and I'll go see the movie in theaters, will probably take the D.

Phil_SS
January 22nd, 2018, 12:13 PM
The book was fantastic! But I'm just not sure how well it will translate into a movie. But I have faith in Spielberg.

Sicario was a really underrated film. But that's just me, I like films in that genre. Stuff like Heat or Tears of the Sun or Zero Dark Thirty. Or even TV shows like Homeland.

speedpimp
January 22nd, 2018, 03:32 PM
Give Shot Caller a look if you like prison movies. Great movie that slipped through the cracks. With a cast including Jaime Lannister and Jon Bernthal you can't go wrong.

Brawl In Cell Block 99 is worth a look if you ever wanted to see Vince Vaughn and Don Johnson in the same movie.

Freude am Fahren
January 22nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
Rampage... Seems like they are only looking to cash in on the name recognition. :smh: Looks nothing like the game.

I'm guessing about 90% of that movies audience will have no idea about that game (I didn't either). So I don't really think they're cashing in on name recognition as much as some genius at a studio remembered playing the game, and since Hollywood is devoid of original ideas, they went all in.

sandydandy
January 22nd, 2018, 04:23 PM
I saw The Open House yesterday, which stars Dylan Minnette of 13 Reasons Why. It started out very interesting, and continued that way throughout, but fell flat on its face at the end. Truly a WTF ending.

Such a disappointment.

novicius
January 24th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Netflix on the future of The Defenders (http://deadline.com/2018/01/netflix-reed-hastings-disney-fox-1202266787/):

“As long as they keep making those shows, they continue on Netflix,” said Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “Our Marvel series that Disney produces for us — we own those shows. They run until we cancel them.”

So while Disney owns the underlying intellectual property for Jessica Jones, Daredevil or Luke Cage, the Netflix shows based on these comic-book characters remain the streaming service’s property. “We get to use them for a very long time,” said Hastings.
:up: :up:

...and I just ordered a metric shit-ton of Daredevil trades last night. :D

Leon
January 24th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Darkest Hour.

As a history junkie, I enjoyed hell out of this movie. Gary Oldman did an excellent job.

speedpimp
January 24th, 2018, 04:15 PM
The new season of Baskets.

Rare White Ape
January 24th, 2018, 05:44 PM
I watched Chris Nolan’s Dunkirk last night. It was good but didn’t quite live up to the hype it had in response to its critical reception.

Although the wonderful aerial combat footage is some of the best I’ve ever seen. That’s a genuine Spitfire landing on Dunkirk beach there at the end. Fantastic!

Leon
January 24th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I also wasn't blown away by Dunkirk.

It was pretty good, but wasn't mind blowing.

speedpimp
January 28th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Finally got around to seeing The Last Jedi. I liked it a hell of a lot better than I thought I would. It feels like it is 45 minutes too long.

novicius
January 30th, 2018, 12:38 PM
My Thursday night ticket to BLACK PANTHER has been bought. :hard: #nerding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWaljXUiCaE

mk
February 2nd, 2018, 04:20 PM

sandydandy
February 4th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Finished up season 6 of Suits. Pretty good. I think I’m the only one here watching that show.

Alan P
February 4th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Ep 1 of Altered Carbon. Has potential.

JoshInKC
February 4th, 2018, 04:29 PM
The book(s) Altered Carbon is based on is pretty good, I'll probably start the show sometime this week.

novicius
February 4th, 2018, 05:07 PM
It's been slow for me so far. Too clean, even the gritty is clean. :lol:

novicius
February 4th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Anyone else watching The Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix? Revealed during the Super Bowl and looks damn high-quality! :up:

sandydandy
February 5th, 2018, 05:15 AM
I can barely remember the first Cloverfield. I might have it on DVD. Gotta do some digging. Then I’ll check this new one out.

dodint
February 5th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Cloverfield Lane was great up until the last three minutes when it became a completely different movie.

novicius
February 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Well...

...I found the movie to fizzle.

I like the cast (Zhang Ziyi!), I like the sets, I like the premise -- but man did they not push things far enough.

It was setting itself up to be an Event Horizon simulacrum with bits of both Michael Crichton's Sphere and John Carpenter's The Thing thrown in for good measure. What a combo! What shoes to fill! :up: :up:

Which ultimately The Cloverfield Paradox didn't do. Just didn't push the body horror far enough and didn't push the existential/dimensional horror far enough. Too bad, could have really set a new bar for space horror with this one.

Also Chris O'Dowd is still a treasure. :lol: #mancrush

dodint
February 5th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I love him. Wish he did more projects I care about.

sandydandy
February 6th, 2018, 06:25 AM
I can barely remember the first Cloverfield. I might have it on DVD. Gotta do some digging. Then I’ll check this new one out. Don’t have to dig after all, it’s already on Netflix. Didn’t know that Cloverfield Lane was part of the series too. I watched Cloverfield and about 15 minutes of Cloverfield Lane, then paused it and started playing the New York Times Crossword app. Then passed out.

Back at it tonight.

speedpimp
February 6th, 2018, 10:37 AM
A fourth movie is on it's way.

JSGeneral
February 6th, 2018, 12:30 PM
We're living in a future where 1950's science fiction promises are coming to life....

https://youtu.be/QxyXLF9AE90

Freude am Fahren
February 6th, 2018, 01:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M&ab_channel=SpaceX

MR2 Fan
February 6th, 2018, 01:09 PM
:hard:

Freude am Fahren
February 7th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Altered Carbon. Up to episode 8

I really don't like the crazy incestuous sister thing. Maybe it just because they don't give her character enough development or motivation for it. Maybe it's because I think the actress is really hot. Seems too forced. Anyone read the book and have a comparison?

Drachen596
February 7th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Altered Carbon. Up to episode 8

I really don't like the crazy incestuous sister thing. Maybe it just because they don't give her character enough development or motivation for it. Maybe it's because I think the actress is really hot. Seems too forced. Anyone read the book and have a comparison?

Finished all of the episodes. Spoiler below is related only to FaFs above Spoiler

Yeah, that had me wondering exactly who the woman was in the first episode in the hotel was. Especially after they showed the sister had multiple sleeves she used.

sandydandy
February 8th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Watched all three Cloverfield movies.

All three were great, but...
...the disconnect between them was sort of bothersome. It's clear the sequels are not really about the monster(s) at all, as zero light is shed on who or what they are. Individually these movies are great, but as a series not so much.

novicius
February 8th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Kaiju.:snap:

sandydandy
February 11th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon. I wasn't too crazy about it, even though I really like the lead actor, Joel Kinnaman, who was great in The Killing. Trying to decide if I should continue on with the next episode.

In the meantime, I watched The Whole Truth with Keanu Reeves. It had a pretty good buildup, but with a pretty shitty payoff.

Leon
February 11th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I'd suggest you keep watching. It just seems to build momentum nicely - or at least, it does up to Episode 8, which is where I've watched to.

novicius
February 16th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Saw Black Panther last night...

...and is it really my place to say anything? :lol:

First off, it's beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I'm going to take their designs as culturally accurate and valid, seeing as there was a Disney Culture Team listed in the movie credits. Kudos to my theater for absolute nobody cracking a laugh over lip plates, ear plugs, neck rings, etc. :up:

It's also stoic. Not gonna say overly serious (tho' far more serious than Thor: Ragnarok) but definitely a return to the serious Comic Book Movie. The main plot isn't hard to follow but there is a lot of noise from the other sub-plots, so much so that can they really be called sub-plots? Co-plots it feels like, that blend together to make one fully integrated plot resolution at the end.

I tend to agree with the folks that say the CGI wasn't great. Think the fight between Neo & Agent Smith in Matrix: Revolutions. Rubbery at times. Integration of the anti-grav ships seemed a touch off with the environments as well.

But my #1 source of discomfort was really just the pacing/editing/tempo of the movie. With no rhythm it just became a long-ass movie. So ultimately Black Panther slips in my sights to a touch disappointing 8 (a disappointing 8?? :lol: #expectations) out 10.

sandydandy
February 16th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Saw Black Panther last night...

...and is it really my place to say anything? :lol:

First off, it's beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I'm going to take their designs as culturally accurate and valid, seeing as there was a Disney Culture Team listed in the movie credits. Kudos to my theater for absolute nobody cracking a laugh over lip plates, ear plugs, neck rings, etc. :up:

It's also stoic. Not gonna say overly serious (tho' far more serious than Thor: Ragnarok) but definitely a return to the serious Comic Book Movie. The main plot isn't hard to follow but there is a lot of noise from the other sub-plots, so much so that can they really be called sub-plots? Co-plots it feels like, that blend together to make one fully integrated plot resolution at the end.

I tend to agree with the folks that say the CGI wasn't great. Think the fight between Neo & Agent Smith in Matrix: Revolutions. Rubbery at times. Integration of the anti-grav ships seemed a touch off with the environments as well.

But my #1 source of discomfort was really just the pacing/editing/tempo of the movie. With no rhythm it just became a long-ass movie. So ultimately Black Panther slips in my sights to a touch disappointing 8 (a disappointing 8?? :lol: #expectations) out 10. Trying not to read the spoiler when quoting you. I hope I get a chance to watch it this weekend, but unlikely. :mad:

novicius
February 17th, 2018, 03:25 PM
BP is blowing up the BO... :popcorn:

Alan P
February 17th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Enjoyed Altered Carbon but the whole sleeving thing did cause some confusion at times. Loved the Latino Cop, Joel Kinnaman was a little bit wooden, the Asian real person in the training and first episode was better IMO.

BP I found decent but not great. A little bit safe and 'by the numbers' with nothing very different at all. I don't know if this was because all the better writers were working on Avengers 3 & 4 or what. Similar to GOTG2 it all felt a little bit 'filler' for the main events.

MR2 Fan
February 17th, 2018, 11:05 PM
I saw BP last night, the only time I was slightly disappointed was:

When they went to the other tribe to ask for their army to help and they said "haha, NO", it was soooo obvious that was just a "they said no until they come at the last minute to save the day" moment

I didn't mind any of the CGI, it all looked good to me. I found a few of the plot points a little bit hard to follow, maybe the accents at some points were too much for me to understand what they were saying?

Anyway, I agree 8/10

Edit: nearly forgot
I got some major James Bond vibes between his sister playing Q to the casino scene looking a LOT like the one in Skyfall

FaultyMario
February 18th, 2018, 10:36 AM
I'll come back to this thread next week, hopefully.

G'day Mate
February 18th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon. I wasn't too crazy about it, even though I really like the lead actor, Joel Kinnaman, who was great in The Killing.

Holder? Cool! Looking forward to watching this one myself

sandydandy
February 19th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Yup.

Yw-slayer
February 20th, 2018, 06:03 AM
The Punisher.

SportWagon
February 20th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Saw an ad (for Fidelity Insurance) featuring a shot of Fireball XL5 and then Steve Zodiac.

novicius
February 20th, 2018, 02:58 PM
BP I found decent but not great. A little bit safe and 'by the numbers' with nothing very different at all. I don't know if this was because all the better writers were working on Avengers 3 & 4 or what. Similar to GOTG2 it all felt a little bit 'filler' for the main events.
I would hazard a guess that a few themes probably didn't hit their mark with you.

'Black Panther' Delivers Fifth Largest Opening of All-Time, Heading Toward $235M+ 4-Day Debut (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4371&p=.htm)

dodint
February 20th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Watched the first two episodes of Everything Sucks. It's very good.

Alan P
February 21st, 2018, 05:29 PM
I would hazard a guess that a few themes probably didn't hit their mark with you.

'Black Panther' Delivers Fifth Largest Opening of All-Time, Heading Toward $235M+ 4-Day Debut (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4371&p=.htm)

Surely you know Novi that success != a good film?! As said above for many across the world it's a cultural phenomenon with many people going to the cinema that wouldn't really do so and multiple re-watches by many who wouldn't go to the cinema once, never mind twice or three times. Sure, I enjoyed it but to my mind it's still not a great film.

Kchrpm
February 22nd, 2018, 05:31 AM
MR2 -
That was definitely very Bond-y, but I'm ok with that. It was an efficient way to introduce the info and elements they needed to get across, including showing why there was a second suit ready for Killmonger to wear.

Alan -
I think Carlo was more insinuating that the cultural phenomenon part was due to deeper things that perhaps don't resonate with people that aren't familiar with elements of the culture. There are things said that are heavier and deeper to certain people than others, which makes the story feel more risky and successful because of it. I wouldn't say that means your, or anyone elses, opinion is wrong or coming from a place of ignorance, just that the strongest positive opinions are not just based on simple representation like some might think and have said.

novicius
February 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM
Kch. :up: :up:

::

Re-watching the LotR trilogy for whatever reason and honestly "The Two Towers" such a steaming pile of shit. The utterly unnecessary fanfic re-writes of scenes is easily on par with the worst that "The Hobbit" had to offer. :smh: :down:

Alan P
February 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM
Oh I absolutely get the popularity. It's one of those 'landmark' moments in blockbuster cinema.

Alan P
February 22nd, 2018, 06:42 PM
Kch. :up: :up:

::

Re-watching the LotR trilogy for whatever reason and honestly "The Two Towers" such a steaming pile of shit. The utterly unnecessary fanfic re-writes of scenes is easily on par with the worst that "The Hobbit" had to offer. :smh: :down:

The thing I find about Return of the King is that I get hyped for the battle sequences, then it cuts to Frodo, Sam and Gollum and feels a bit flat. Then back to the battle to get you excited, then back to Frodo and party and you come down again. In fact I'd go as far to say that most of the scenes with Frodo and Sam and Gollum in them are a bit dreary and dull.

MR2 Fan
February 23rd, 2018, 06:20 AM
The thing I find about Return of the King is that I get hyped for the battle sequences, then it cuts to Frodo, Sam and Gollum and feels a bit flat. Then back to the battle to get you excited, then back to Frodo and party and you come down again. In fact I'd go as far to say that most of the scenes with Frodo and Sam and Gollum in them are a bit dreary and dull.

Honestly I think Peter Jackson also knew that. During the commentaries, he discussed how to keep the tension up between the movies, as it's difficult to keep filming the 3 on a journey without making it really boring. They added extra things that weren't in the books, such as Frodo turning Sam away.

The Two Towers gets let down by (IMO) the whole Treebeard sequence. It's extremely dull, though I understand it was part of the original books and needed the payoff at the end, it just drags on.

I really enjoy the LOTR commentaries as it shows that a lot of the flaws they knew about and went over, but had to make certain decisions. It's also interesting to me how many times they re-did things, it wasn't all perfect, and it makes me feel much better when I had to re-do things on my own project.

MR2 Fan
February 23rd, 2018, 06:30 AM
This is going to lead to some controversy....I stumbled on a youtube video of some guy ranking the 18 MCU movies and I completely disagreed with his list.

So I made my own (Note 3 films I haven't watched yet):

my MCU Ranking

1. Captain America The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Iron Man
5. Thor Ragnarok
6. Black Panther
7. Iron Man 2 (Yes, I really liked this one)
8. Avengers
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. Doctor Strange
11. Ant Man
12. Captain America The First Avenger
13. Avengers Age of Ultron
14. Iron Man 3
15. Thor

Haven't Watched:

Thor the Dark World
Incredible Hulk
Spiderman Homecoming

sandydandy
February 23rd, 2018, 07:25 AM
This is going to lead to some controversy....I stumbled on a youtube video of some guy ranking the 18 MCU movies and I completely disagreed with his list.

So I made my own (Note 3 films I haven't watched yet):

my MCU Ranking

1. Captain America The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Iron Man
5. Thor Ragnarok
6. Black Panther
7. Iron Man 2 (Yes, I really liked this one)
8. Avengers
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. Doctor Strange
11. Ant Man
12. Captain America The First Avenger
13. Avengers Age of Ultron
14. Iron Man 3
15. Thor

Haven't Watched:

Thor the Dark World
Incredible Hulk
Spiderman Homecoming That’s a fun Friday game.

Here’s my ranking:

1. Avengers
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America
5. Thor
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier
7. Doctor Strange
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Iron Man 2
10. Thor: Ragnarok
11. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Ant Man
14. Incredible Hulk
15. Iron Man 3
16. Spider-man: Homecoming
17. Thor: Dark World

TBD - Black Panther (I suspect it will be in the top 10).

sandydandy
February 25th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Finally watched 50 Shades of Grey. It was unbelievably stupid and boring. Don’t understand what the hype was all about.

speedpimp
February 25th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Game Night. I really liked it.

shakes
February 26th, 2018, 07:53 AM
That’s a fun Friday game.

Here’s my ranking:

1. Avengers
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America
5. Thor
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier
7. Doctor Strange
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Iron Man 2
10. Thor: Ragnarok
11. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Ant Man
14. Incredible Hulk
15. Iron Man 3
16. Spider-man: Homecoming
17. Thor: Dark World

TBD - Black Panther (I suspect it will be in the top 10).

The problem with trying to rank the MCU movies is that the order in which you watch them can drastically change your subjective rating. For example I really thought the second Guardians movie was fantastic (top 3) but if you didn't watch the first one first it wouldn't have made much sense.

Leon
February 26th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Top Gear is back again :)

Reasonably amusing episode. I'm appreciating Matt Le Blanc more as time goes on. Though I keep getting Top Gear Matt and Matt from "Episodes" muddled up in my head!

GreatScawt
March 1st, 2018, 07:57 AM
Rented IT last night... Great movie, we really enjoyed it. Just creepy enough while telling an interesting story along the way.

Got it in UHD, looked pretty good, but probably not a big deal to grab in regular HD. Google has been throwing $1 movie rentals at me lately, so I'm going to try and grab Bladerunner 2049 next. That'll probably be a bit more noticeable in UHD.

sandydandy
March 1st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Saw a couple of really low rated films and actually thought they were pretty decent. The Rift: Dark Side of the Moon and The Pyramid. Both supernatural/horror type flicks.

I've decided to stop checking a film's RT score before watching, as it sets a bias or expectation in advance. Rift was 7%, and The Pyramid was 13%.

The acting in Rift was quite shitty, but I didn't mind the storyline. Plus I enjoyed the brief shot of Katarina Cas' sweet ass in the shower. That's how these B-movies suck you in.

Leon
March 1st, 2018, 02:00 PM
"Counterpart"

Parallel universe cross over mystery / thriller scenario.

It starts out with a level of compelling that I fear no punchline can live up to. (I'm up to episode 8).

Extremely good show thus far.

Blerpa
March 3rd, 2018, 02:20 PM
More of Agents of Shield. It's getting terribly silly and mediocre again.
Last season? No words about it yet, but the actual storyline does suck donkey's arse.

speedpimp
March 3rd, 2018, 02:46 PM
Gliding very easily into Endeavour, a prequel to Inspector Morse featuring Morse as a young detective in 1960s Oxford, England.

21Kid
March 4th, 2018, 12:39 AM
Everything Sucks! - Netflix show - based on 90s highschool kids. Good acting and nostalgia. Man I feel old.

sandydandy
March 4th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Finally watched Black Panther and it was wonderful. CGI was a bit much, but the story was solid, and action was over the top. Can’t believe I didn’t recognize Michael B Jordan. I kept thinking Killmonger looked familiar.

Kinda disappointed that......no appearance by the Soul Gem/Stone in this movie, but I got the sense that those scenes where T’Challa and Killmonger were visiting their respective fathers was in the Soul World, which is linked to the Soul Gem. Anyone familiar with the comics will remember this, especially when Adam Warlock had the Soul Gem. Plus at the beginning they made reference to the Wakandan ancestors receiving visions and stuff, learning how to build technology out of Vibranium.

I think Wakanda is hiding the Soul Gem, and in Infinity War the final battle will culminate in that country, where Thanos will successfully capture it and complete the Infinity Gauntlet, and win.

That’s why we know absolutely nothing about the next Avengers movie. It’s entirely under lock and key.

dodint
March 4th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Everything Sucks! - Netflix show - based on 90s highschool kids. Good acting and nostalgia. Man I feel old.

Yeah, mentioned it earlier on this page. We finished it a few days ago. It wasn't perfect but it was damn good, particularly the music.

Will add "The Mortified Guide" as a similar recommendation, though it's not a drama. It's very crude so watch it with the wife, not the kids.

GreatScawt
March 5th, 2018, 06:37 AM
End of the F*cking World, on Netflix. So good.

shakes
March 5th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Started watching American Gods on Amazon. Good directing, excellent script and some top-notch acting. Also working my way through season four of Peaky Blinders. It's a good show too, but not nearly as enjoyable as American Gods.

MR2 Fan
March 5th, 2018, 11:31 AM
slightly off-topic, got an email from my local cable/internet provider Spectrum....special offer for certain customers, get 10 channels of my choice (plus local) for $21 a month.

I'm not saying it's a great deal (though for sports fans it did show the ESPN channels as some of the choices), but it's a push in the right direction.

balki
March 6th, 2018, 04:30 AM
10 for $21 is an absolute deal
Even if you exclude the premiums (HBO, Shotime, ...) I'd do 3 for $21

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2018, 06:51 AM
I don't know because some services have a lot more channels for like $30 a month.

balki
March 6th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I'll take 3 for $21 over a thousand random ones for $100
One specific stick and ball channel and one specific automotive channel is all I'm looking for (the local sports channel and ESPN for F1 in this case).

I'm taking about coax delivered TV channels here, not a streaming service that requires an internet connection.

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I'll take 3 for $21 over a thousand random ones for $100
One specific stick and ball channel and one specific automotive channel is all I'm looking for (the local sports channel and ESPN for F1 in this case).

I'm taking about coax delivered TV channels here, not a streaming service that requires an internet connection.

That's the other thing, this was for streaming "all devices, no cable box" type of deal, forgot to mention that

balki
March 6th, 2018, 02:04 PM
oh, that's a deal-breaker

Thor : Ragnarok
One of the most enjoyable MCU movies. I have to say, as a whole, the MCU movies have been great (Ultron is possibly the worst one and it's still decent).
Strangest part is that they've essentially done it w/o Marvels top guns (Spidey and Wolverine/X-Men). If Wonder Woman wasn't so good it would be unimaginable for DC to have any success w/o Batman and Superman. It's like DC has dropped to the same level as the Fantastic Four

G'day Mate
March 7th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Just finished Green Wing

Season 1 was a lot of fun, then season 2 came along and everything got really, really, SUPER dark!!

JoshInKC
March 7th, 2018, 04:14 AM
Green Wing is so good.

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Not sure how to feels right now:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-bullitt-345x500.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-riskybusiness-343x500.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-backtothefuture-343x500.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-matrix-343x500.jpg

Others: http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-ready-player-one-posters/

I actually like the Bullitt one, and the Risky Business poster.

MR2 Fan
March 7th, 2018, 07:43 AM
in the trailer and those photos, the CG face looks very "late 90's" quality, not sure if that's intentional

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 07:46 AM
That character is in a VR simulated world so it's not going to look photo realistic. It's meant to be portrayed as a render, it's basically a video game character.

MR2 Fan
March 7th, 2018, 08:10 AM
That character is in a VR simulated world so it's not going to look photo realistic. It's meant to be portrayed as a render, it's basically a video game character.

I know that, just thinking it could look a bit better, but it could be that's not the look they're going for

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Ah, okay. Cool.

Posted this elsewhere and someone said it looked like fan art. I think it's just a social media ad campaign so they probably didn't put much work into it.

balki
March 7th, 2018, 12:28 PM
saw another trailer of RPO, definitely have to say that it looks like it may have been executed well.
2018 is looking like a winner for good movies that are enjoyable (or more like enjoyable movies that are also good).

speedpimp
March 7th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I loved the hell out of Thor: Fraggle Rock.

21Kid
March 7th, 2018, 06:30 PM
That's the other thing, this was for streaming "all devices, no cable box" type of deal, forgot to mention that

We got a pretty good deal on our cable that is streaming online. It has live cable as well, but no cable box. I like it.

Cam
March 8th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Just watched Icarus. Excellent film, but depressing.

tigeraid
March 9th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Finally sat down and watched all of Sidney Lumet's Network. That film resonates so much fucking harder now than it must have even in the 70s.

mk
March 9th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Maigret by Atkinson.

sandydandy
March 9th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Watched LA 92, a documentary about the LA riots. Seriously insane shit...and sad that nothing has changed in America since then, in terms of police brutality.

Also watched A Sense of an Ending, which was pretty decent.

neanderthal
March 9th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Jessica Jones II

Blerpa
March 11th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Finally sat down and watched all of Sidney Lumet's Network. That film resonates so much fucking harder now than it must have even in the 70s.

It's a splendid underrated movie, I say.
Pretty creepy to watch it now.

sandydandy
March 16th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I watched Wonder with the family. Nice feel good movie.

GreatScawt
March 20th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Shape of the Water. Loved it.
In-process: Jessica Jones Season 2

Cam
March 20th, 2018, 12:48 PM
The latest season of Agents of Shield. Weak. :(

Blerpa
March 20th, 2018, 01:42 PM
The latest season of Agents of Shield. Weak. :(

Yeah, really lame, let's get on with it... the female general is terrible, her 90s Gen 13-like suped up daugher too, get Coulson dead and let's move on. Abysmal plot and does not look like it will get any better soon

I'm watching the latest season of Shetland, liking it as usual, pretty cosy, it just works, without much flash or bang.

Freude am Fahren
March 20th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Been trying to watch the second to last episode of Last Man on Earth, but Fox's player is complete shit. All the networks are complete shit. And it has nothing to do with the ads.

Eventually resorting to finding some sketchy probably illegal source.

balki
March 23rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Started off fairly good, but didn't get the hype ...
... then the second half came with Pac-Man, David Hasselhoff, pretty much anything Drax said and :

Quill: [to Yondu, floating in the air, hanging on his arrow] You look like Mary Poppins!
Yondu: Was he cool?
Quill: [grinning] Hell, yeah. He's cool.
Jumanji, also entertaining

speedpimp
March 23rd, 2018, 11:07 AM
I loved the shit out of Thor: Ragnarok.

George
March 23rd, 2018, 01:12 PM
Jumanji, also entertaining

I took my kids to see that a few weeks ago and thought it was great fun. Was it one of Hollywood's greatest works ever, to be discussed by film students and historians for decades to come? Nah.

But, it was much more entertaining than I expected. It's a fun, Indiana Jones-style adventure/quest movie with lots of laughs and excitement.

Phil_SS
March 24th, 2018, 05:10 AM
Wind River: Really really really good movie with Jeremy Renner being a reluctant badass.

speedpimp
March 24th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Damn, I was hoping it was really really really really really good. Guess I'll have to pass then.

dodint
March 25th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I have been trying to watch it on Kodi for months, was happy to see it pop up on Netflix.

balki
March 25th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Damn, I was hoping it was really really really really really good. Guess I'll have to pass then.
It's not, but the DVD version has the deleted gasoline fight scene.

sandydandy
March 31st, 2018, 01:59 PM
Watched Backcountry, based on a true story. A couple goes hiking in the woods and is being stalked by a bear. It was exciting and terrifying.

Cam
March 31st, 2018, 04:08 PM
Sorry to ruin the illustion, but bears do not stalk humans and they are easy to scare away.

sandydandy
March 31st, 2018, 06:34 PM
Sorry Cam, but hungry and aggressive bears will stalk their prey and don’t scare away easily. I looked it up. This movie is based on a true story.

dodint
March 31st, 2018, 08:10 PM
Ready Player One was fun. Take it for what it is.

Don't let the SJWs use it as a platform to spout their rhetoric and ruin it for you.

Cam
April 1st, 2018, 03:56 AM
I have scared away a few bears on backpacking trips. :shrug:

Edit: Curious, I looked it up too. I see what you are talking about now.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/black-bear-kills-woman-camper-north-of-chapleau-ont-1.556281

George
April 2nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
I finally finished the sixth and final Longmire season on Netflix. I enjoyed the series very much and am sorry to see it end.

Blerpa
April 2nd, 2018, 10:52 AM
Ready Player One. A load of nostalgic fun! A more moderate review? An overrated tech/nerd plagiarism of Willy Wonka story with the villain from the first original Robocop. And a lame finale.

dodint
April 2nd, 2018, 10:58 AM
Yeah, the Willy Wonka theme is pretty heavy there. But that's kind of the point.

I wouldn't call the end lame, but they dragged it out a bit longer than it needed to be.

Blerpa
April 2nd, 2018, 01:07 PM
I think Tron, Scott Pilgrim (although the comic is way better) and the various japanese anime have treated the theme in a better and more interesting way.
Plot outside of Oasis was bad. Really bad. And that could be down to the original material by Cline.

dodint
April 2nd, 2018, 01:34 PM
hahaha

You're not wrong, but you took that opinion from Moist which makes your plagiarism complaints humorous. :lol:

shakes
April 2nd, 2018, 01:39 PM
Anyone else try watching 'Ozark' on Netflix? I'm 2 episodes in and I'm not ready to say that I'm hooked but it looks like it could be interesting.

dodint
April 2nd, 2018, 02:26 PM
I have heard Ozark is good, it's on my list of future things to watch.

sandydandy
April 2nd, 2018, 03:38 PM
‘My List’ is populated with movies I really have no intention of watching. :|

Blerpa
April 3rd, 2018, 05:21 AM
hahaha

You're not wrong, but you took that opinion from Moist which makes your plagiarism complaints humorous. :lol:

What? I happen to agree with a movie review that I duly shared on FB... duh, sounds pretty obvious to me! And I actually don't agree totally with Moist: I didn't find the Oasis alluring almost at all. Beautiful, colourful, incredible, but I didn't care much about the idea of experiencing that for real.

dodint
April 3rd, 2018, 05:38 AM
:up:

tigeraid
April 3rd, 2018, 07:32 AM
Kinda random, but I love Supereyepatchwolf's little mini-docs on youtube, and he just released this one on Pro Wrestling, both American and Puroreso. For those of you who don't "get" or enjoy Pro Wrestling, this is made for you, and I highly recommend watching, it's informative and entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQCPj-bGYro

tigeraid
April 12th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Whether you've read the book or not, I cannot recommend AMC's The Terror mini-series enough. The historical accuracy is authentic, and the atmosphere and the dread, the WRONGNESS of the whole thing just feels fantastic. Horror done right.

Plus Jared Harris and Ciarán Hinds are fucking awesome.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--6T_8bzuD--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/yiilky0bzw9vptgmcjap.jpg

JoshInKC
April 12th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Yeah, the wife and I have watched the first four or so episodes. Enjoying it a lot so far.
I basically had to watch it given that it stars a murderer's row of my favorite UK character actors.
I'd watch Jared Harris read a phonebook, or ayn rand.

George
April 16th, 2018, 07:59 AM
I don't have a great deal of free time to watch TV and see movies these days, so I tend to like everything I see lately. That reminds me of when I used to see Siskel & Ebert review movies on TV. They'd always point out the bad things about movies and a much younger me thought, "How can you not like this? It's a movie, and movies are fun!"

Ready Player One was no exception. I saw it this weekend with my son and I've continued to think about it long after I've left the theatre. A co-worker who opinions I've come to trust told me about the book a couple years ago and on his recommendation (and my son's urging, since he had seen a trailer or five), I was really looking forward to it.

I've never seen the Willy Wonka movies (tried the original on TV once or twice but it was too darn weird for me) as mentioned previously in this thread, so I didn't think it was particularly derivative of anything else. Sure, it was a bit predictable at times, but on the whole I thought it was a good story. It was an enjoyable escape from real life for a couple hours. Despite all the fancy graphics, at times it reminded me of other classic sci-fi movies set in a dark future - Rollerball, Logan's Run, Escape From New York, Running Man, etc.

Two minor gripes about the movie (and one of these is a spoiler; the other a mere opinion) follow.

1. The '80s songs. The background score was fine, but all except maybe one of the '80s tunes they used were cheesy pop crap, especially the final song as the credits ran. What a horrible choice for an ending song! There was some good music in the '80s, but you'd never know it from this movie.

2. The credits. If any movie warranted an "Easter egg" during or at the end of the credits, it was this one. They could have done something.
Next week I'm taking my daughter to see a different movie. She had no interest in Ready Player One but is stoked to see Rampage.

dodint
April 16th, 2018, 08:04 AM
I've bought the RPO Score and the RPO "Music from" Soundtrack and both were unremarkable, particularly the tracks the chosen for the 'music from' album.

Loved the movie though. Fell asleep rewatching it again in my hotel room last night.

sandydandy
April 16th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I watched Ice Guardians, a documentary about enforcers in hockey and the need to keep them in the game, to keep it clean. I'm not sure I buy 100% of what they're saying, but they do make a compelling case.

balki
April 16th, 2018, 10:17 AM
never heard of it, but it seems enforcers have been phased out after the '04-05 lockout* and have all but disappeared recently
with the rulebook being enforced, replays and the department of player safety I don't see the need for them in today's NHL

*can't believe I have to specify which lockout, fucking 1994 and 2012 lockouts! thank Bettman

dodint
April 16th, 2018, 10:30 AM
They've been subtly legislated out, which was a good way of doing it.

Not being allowed to take your helmet off during a fight, coupled with the visor mandate, has gotten rid of a lot of the full on fights.

Getting rid of the two line pass and moving the blue lines closer to center really made those slow, less skilled guys become a liability. I think the modern game of hockey is too fast, and a consequence of that is you can't give a roster spot to a slug.