Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Continental

Lincoln Continental

Now that's more like it.

Check out the chrome in the interior! Very 60s.

Straight mother-fuckin' gangster. I love it.

The interior is a little too chintzy with that over the top chrome treatment IMO.

More subtle wheels, more conventional looking lights rather than those Acura lookalike abortions, a tidied up grille, regular door handles, and it's a hit in my estimation.

I like it! Let's hope they don't chickin out.

And if they really want to make a splash, make a convertible. The death of the fullsize convertible is just unacceptable.

The really over-the-top stuff may just be because it's a concept, or may be because (according to a related article) this is really a play for them in China, where being large, opulent and ostentatious is very important.
    Get that weak shit off my track

My mother owned two Continentals back to back, switched to a Taurus when they were no longer available new. She saw this new one on TV this morning, and is "in love again."
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    The interior is a little too chintzy with that over the top chrome treatment IMO.

More subtle wheels, more conventional looking lights rather than those Acura lookalike abortions, a tidied up grille, regular door handles, and it's a hit in my estimation.
    Ugh, not everything needs to be a BMW or Merc. A little more variation in style on our luxury cars would be nice for a change!

I agree. I wouldn't have twenty years ago, but every time I drive the Fleetwood I am reminded what luxury cars used to be, and it wasn't bad. I've long thought Lincoln or Cadillac should give a nod to their roots. I'm happy to see it happen.

Edit: And it damned well better not be FWD. i'll settle for transverse AWD as the SHO, but not straight up FWD.

It's pretty cool. I'm not sure about those seats though. Are they trying to be like a cross between a Recaro and a Lay-Z-Boy? Mark "My enthusiasm is totally not an act" Fields has already confirmed that the production version will also be called Continental.

Lincoln seems like it's kind of floundering to me. I mean, it seems like they just finally established the split wing grille across the whole line, and now they spring this on us, as well as saying that this is the new look that will spread across the line. And, they fully committed to the "MK" naming scheme, only to do this. If they're trying to establish an identity, it doesn't seem like they can decide what it should be.

It does have LASER high beams though, so that's cool.

If recent history is any indication, this is very close to what the production car will look like, aside from the interior and the things that simply won't fly on a production car, like the tiny mirrors. See the Lincoln MKZ and MKC concepts from years past.

Staying committed to a plan that isn't working is folly.

As a further riff on the question of taste, I have been seeing an alarming number of Mercs with illuminated three-pointed stars in the grille. I'd hoped that this was some weird local trend, but... nope. It's an official MB accessory. You can see for yourself on their website.