Page 116 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1200

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Get Win11. At some point you'll have to upgrade to it anyway, and it's genuinely actually pretty good now. Possibly even better than Win10 at its best.

Win 11 works poorly on AM4 and just ok on AM5.
    Pretty useless OS, especially for gaming.
    Win 11 is recommended only in case you use Intel 12, 13 and 14th Gen, basically the CPUs Microsoft was "optimizing" (read: Intel paid to be optimized) the new OS for.
    Last edited by Blerpa; January 11th, 2024 at 09:19 AM.

Junior Potato
    Iíll try both then. Itís free to try and a key is $10.

The wife has Windows 11, & hate that I couldn't customize the start menu.

Does it? My secondhand 5800X and 3070 seem to work fine with Win11. It's slower than my main 13700 but that's to be expected given their release dates.

Junior Potato
    Step 1: Install CPU into socket.
    Step 2: Apply thermal paste to chip
    Step 3: Mount CPU cooler onto the mother board
    Step 4: Wonder if you removed the protective film off the bottom of the CPU cooler
    Step 5: Unscrew CPU cooler and peel off protective film...

So anyway got it all done yesterday and spent the day fucking about to get it set up to my preferences. Changing to a new PC is hard...

And I'm on Windows 11 for now. It's fine. It doesn't interfere with performance so I'd say it has the green light there.

However it does interfere with the user experience in some amazingly annoying ways and has some breathtakingly fucking stupid requirements that I wish weren't being forced upon us. You HAVE to sign in to your MS account on setup. All of the contents of the My Documents, Pictures, Desktop folders default to OneDrive. Right now it feels like I am fighting to be in control of what happens on my own PC. This battle will continue for some time, until I am comfortable or give up.

But it's fine. I can always revert to Win 10 if I want to.

Moving on: pics!

Old vs new main boards. That's a huge heatsink over the VRMs, and the M.2 slot has its own cooling fan.

Here it is half-assembled. SFF PC enjoyers don't like to make things easy for themselves.

And all finished. Please disregard the multicoloured fan cables and that big honkin molex plug

As for performance, unsurprisingly it is a great improvement. Surprisingly the cooler keeps things hovering arouns 65-70C when playing MSFS.

MSFS is much smoother, with frames going from 60-80 up to over 100 fps. So maybe a 20-30% increase. Critically, data streaming is much improved. Flying over a busy airport would lead to huge stutters on the old CPU (I've always set my game to contain ultra airport density and aircraft variety because I am a monster) but now it's smooth and enjoyable.

If I switch to the drone camera and fly it at full speed close to the ground (faster than you'd realistically be able to in any aircraft to test out world data streaming) the frame rate will stay around 80 fps. It'll then drop to about 35 fps when CPU temps hit 85C as the little cooler can't keep up, but this is an extreme case. Wait a few seconds and the temps drop back into the 70s and frame rates pick up. It's neat to watch the graphs in MSI Afterburner when this happens!

iRacing has given me a 100% increase! I saw 200 fps at one point and I think I'll be regularly seeing framerates above 150 quite a lot now. I haven't yet tested it behind a full field of 35 or more AI driven opponents though. On the old rig that would be a 40 fps experience.

Junior Potato
    Also I got all black components completely by accident and it looks cool as fuck

The onedrive link thing is somewhat irritating, but can also be convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    The onedrive link thing is somewhat irritating, but can also be convenient.
    I'm sure it's a ruse to constantly bug you with notifications that your one drive is nearly full and you should upgrade to their monthly subscription offering.

A small shame you didn't wait for the new Super cards released this month but the new machine looks clean AF!

I have upgraded onedrive already anyway, so I get both convenience AND no bugging notifications! Heh.