Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: George's Garage

So, now, in my boring suburban life, I'm driving the BWM home, rolling down the windows to enjoy the nice weather, and then wondering if these Cold War era power windows will ever go up again. As I approached a big suburban intersection where I was to turn right past the shopping center, I saw a bright yellow 1966 or '67 Dodge Charger turn left in front of me. Then, my jaw dropped open as I realized a veritable parade of cars of note followed - either old, cool, new, high-performance, or some combination of thereof.

Naturally, I put on my turn signal - being careful not to snap the lever in two, since this car is so fragile - and followed the procession into the parking lot.

I try to avoid this parking lot due to the heavy traffic, but this was something else. Gridlock!

Naturally, I pulled my phone from my back pocket and started taking pictures.

I should stop here and post the following.

This was a sad occasion, but frankly I didn't know anyone involved and sort of felt like a trespasser.

I texted my son that I had stumbled into a cruise event or something, and he sent me this, from Instagram. I don't know Instagram from Facebook or Compuserve or TikTok or HAL-9000, but apparently everyone in town except me knew about this:

Umm, maybe not. It's in my phone as picture in a text message, but I can't seem to save it to Photos in my phone to get online. Hang on...

Okay, here it is.

As a father, this crushes me.

However, I was just a guy driving by and didn't know anyone, or the occasion, so I hope y'all will forgive me as I get back to this unexpected car meet.

What is that - a Maserati? Thought at first maybe it was a Buick with the portholes. And, obviously, a Ferrari in front.

Meanwhile, everyone going the other way was probably seething on their way to the grocery store and wondering what the holdup was. I didn't yet know myself.

Dodge Chargers. There were more Chargers there today than I've ever seen in one place, probably.

More to follow...
    Last edited by George; January 27th, 2024 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George
    Dodge Chargers. There were more Chargers there today than I've ever seen in one place, probably.
    Sorry. Obviously those are Challengers. But there were plenty of them.

The yellow '66/'67 Charger with redline tires stole the show for me, however. Nothing else came close.

A Lexus SC430 probably wouldn't excite most car enthusiasts, but I dig 'em. I wonder if they made any with manual transmissions...

Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_SC
    The 2010 model was the last automobile from any major manufacturer in the United States to ship with a cassette tape deck.

Did I mention there were a lot of Challengers?

Well, it was clear everyone was leaving, so I got in line too.

A line of cool cars drove a ways past the shopping center, made a u-turn at a median, and then went to a nearby church parking lot. I followed everyone in and parked at distance, since I still didn't know what was going on. I have been to car shows in this church parking lot before, but this didn't have people sitting on lawn chairs near their cars, the table and tent and burgers on the grill, a live band, and the guy on the microphone announcing winners in various categories and so forth. It was a sort of quick in and out. I left before most to but this was a fun thing to stumble into.

We still have the Walter White hubcap problem. I want to buy one from eBay (and they ain't cheap!), but my son says to save my money and buy a set of four reproductions that a local company sells. Those have to be painted, however, and that leads to taking these wheels to a wheel restoration shop, and so forth. I should just get a used one from eBay in the meantime.

I probably should have parked near these guys.

Did I mention there were a lot of Challengers?

Spoilers, too.

This Mercedes wagon looked fast sitting still. The sun being so low in the sky this time of year doesn't make for the easiest photography, at least for this most amateur of amateur photographers..

My wife's first car was a 1977 Monte Carlo. I showed her this and she guessed it was a '76.

The ix is at least as rare as a bunch of those cars, FWIW.
    Whoomah!

I was about to say if it can be found at the rental counter, it's not so special.

Then again, they do rent some nice stuff these days.