Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: George's Garage

E28s rock.
    Whoomah!

I hear they're fabulous endurance racers.

George, your neighbor gets "it"

Holy cow, the BMW runs again! The boy put it all back together and it fired right up. The new water pump gasket is not leaking, either.

Today's after school project is completing the radiator clean/flush and refill.

I deleted the picture of my friend's car above because he said he's active on car forums and I didn't want him to see his car somewhere else if he did a Google image searches that you can just click on a photo to do without even leaving the page. I'm finding those will bring up pictures of similar things as well as the very same image posted elsewhere.

Here's another visiting neighbor's car I won't rush to delete, as the owner is in her seventies and probably not a car forum junkie. I love old cars like this one that have low mileage and have been garaged. Do they still call cars like this cream puffs? I'm scared to Google that on a work computer, but it used to mean a car like this:

Ah, the proverbial little old lady.

Man, congrats on getting what looks like a clean E30 for your boy.

My niece (17) wants one.

Thanks. It's a lot of fun, especially since he has done 90% of the work so far.

He's still flushing the radiator. What's draining out is getting more and more clear, so we think he's making progress.

My only experience with radiator flushing before this is my buddy parking his Chevy truck over a storm drain, sticking a hose in the radiator, and letting it run for a while with the heat on full. This was a long time ago, needless to say. My old VWs never needed any radiator work, so I'm not much help when he starts asking about heater cores and thermostats, other than what little I remember from Auto Mechanics class back in high school.

They're getting a buck-fifty for a gallon of distilled water these days. I told my son I used to buy gas for less than that.

There goes his college fund!

We're not sure if the heat works in this car. We've been running it with the heater and fan on High, but it doesn't seem to blow warm air yet. Maybe we need to get it out on the road for a while rather than expecting it to heat up while idling on jackstands for ten or fifteen minutes at a time before the water starts boiling and we shut it off, wait for it to cool, and then drain it again.

It sure seems like a car-crazy time of life right now. My wife is shopping for one. I'm thinking it's too early to switch put the snow tires on mine, despite this weekend's forecast for a few inches on Sunday. Even more fun is some of my son's friends are getting their first cars now. One has a used Prius to share with his older sister, but a car is a car, right? Another has a ratty old Jeep Cherokee and one has a newer Jeep that I've heard about.

And here's a funny story. A couple afternoons ago, my son got a text while we were in the garage. "Dad, [Friend] just got a new car! I'm going to go see it!" His friend lives a couple streets away, so he lit out on foot while it was still daylight outside.

A couple hours later, I called him to tell him it was time to come home. I hear all this screaming and laughing in the background and a few guys' voices saying things like, "There's another one!" and "I got it!" and "Oh no, it got away!"

Son says, "Dad, this car is full of mice! We're trying to get them out!"

When I hung up, my wife asked if he was on his way home. I just laughed and said, "No, not yet. I think he might be a little longer."

That friend was over yesterday after school and I asked him about his car. Turns out it's a 2004 Volkswagen Touareg that his father bought at an auction. Apparently it has some kind of air suspension (that needs work, of course) and the brakes are bad. When they started cleaning out the interior, they found mice living inside. They think they've trapped and removed the adult mice but there are still baby mice in the car. My son said they were just an inch or two long. So, yesterday, I asked the kid if he realized the babies would probably die in the car without their mothers and start smelling awful.

He said not to worry, they're planning to take apart the interior this weekend and he thinks they'll find them all then. I just have to laugh at all this.

It's just like the stuff my friends and I used to do and my Dad and his buddies, too. He used to tell me about guys taking fenders off their jalopies and installing tube radios in glove compartments. Dad said one of his friend's mothers called him "the boy with the red wheels", since my father painted the wheels of his '35 Ford red back around 1950, I suppose (Dad was class of '51). And I still have Dad's ukelele that one of his buddies sat on in the back seat when they were in high school and cracked some of the wood on the back. Imagine my surprise, as a guitar nerd, when my Dad gave it to me a few years ago, and I found "C.F. Martin & Co, Nazareth PA" stamped into the back of the headstock. I did a little research when I first got it and learned the uke is about as old as his Ford was.

I guess the moral of the story is nothing really changes with boys and cars, except the technology.

That was fun to read.

Those airbags probably are not too bad, nor too expensive. Good luck to your son's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    My old VWs never needed any radiator work,

I see what you did there.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Yep, I'm totally confident that a troublesome VW Toe-Rag will be easy fix and reliable.

[screaming with sarcastic laughter]