Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB '15 (Postseason)

MLB '15 (Postseason)

No MLB thread? I thought baseball was America's pastime. Well anyway, I guess I'll start it...the postseason version anyway.

The ALDS starts today and I am stoked! I haven't cared about baseball since the late-90's, but with the sudden success of our Blue Jays, (clinching the AL East for the first time in 22 years), I feel like I'm waking up out of a long coma.

I was a HUGE baseball nut from 1989 to about 1998. I witnessed our competitive years, championship years, then the bitter fallout after 1993. All the big stars we had started leaving/getting traded, and the team was consistently sliding in the standings year after year. What was once a very fun team to watch was anything but that at the time. By the late 90's there was a bit of a buzz with the acquisition of Roger Clemens, but even he couldn't bring us a championship again, and then promptly thumbed his nose at us and went to the Yankees. I'd pretty much quit watching baseball at that time.

Funny enough, I did manage to go to a game or two every couple of years after that. Never really caring about the team, because they just weren't competitive anymore. I just went for the entertainment aspect. I knew who some of the players were, but the whole thing was just background noise for years. Then suddenly this summer there was a lot of buzz in the media, and from my cousins and friends, about some big names the Jays had acquired. Price, Tulowitzki, etc. Plus they started winning. The only player I knew about was Bautista because he'd been here for years, (longest serving current Jay), but then I started watching guys like Donaldson, Encarnacion, Pillar. These guys were phenomenal. What really cemented my interest back into baseball was the August 2nd game against KC, where their douchebag pitcher tried to take Donaldson's head off. The benches cleared, tensions were high. We won that game and it was great, but more importantly I felt magic in the air, something I hadn't felt in 22 years. I've been hooked ever since.

It's been a fun two months getting to know who the players are, and watching this team excel. It's also so exciting that we have the potential AL MVP in our lineup, and the potential Cy Young award winner in our pitching staff.

So the Blue Jays will face Texas today and I'm feeling nervous and excited at the same time.

Who are your picks to advance to the World Series, and win it?

(I know one guy here who loves KC, even though they will get trashed in the ALCS by us!)

Keyword: PASTtime

My Red Sox are out, so I'm rooting for the Mets (I was born on Long Island afterall). I would be happy to see the Cubs finally win though.

It is feeling an awful lot like '85.

All 4 teams that were in the '85 postseason are here now in 2015. I think history is about to repeat itself.

We already know the Cubs are going to win...

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    It is feeling an awful lot like '85.

All 4 teams that were in the '85 postseason are here now in 2015. I think history is about to repeat itself.
    It'd better not.

I hate Fox Sports. Really crappy broadcast of the Jays/Rangers game. I wish they would let local networks cover their own teams.

Same. No love for the home team.

I support whatever keeps me from ever hearing Joe Buck's fucking voice.

That statement rings true for me also.