Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am unhappy with Windows 10

I am unhappy with Windows 10

How on God's green Earth do you change the security settings in File Explorer? I right click, go into Properties >> Security and then click Edit, but all the option boxes are greyed out and unalterable.

AFAIK, there are no security settings for file explorer... it's just explorer with a new name. What are you trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    AFAIK, there are no security settings for file explorer... it's just explorer with a new name. What are you trying to do?
    Perhaps I should have said folder permissions. I'm trying to change them. A very simple process in Windows 7.

Are you talking about file system attributes, or file security? Nothing has changed as far as either of those go in 8 or 10. Perhaps you are trying to change something on a file or folder you don't have access to?

Are you talking about file system attributes, or file security? Nothing has changed as far as either of those go in 8 or 10. Perhaps you are trying to change something on a file or folder you don't have access to?
    Well I'm the only one who uses the computer, so my access should be unlimited. With Windows 7 I could simply right-click a folder, hit properties, select security tab and edit permissions. Now when I do that, all the options are greyed out. And it keeps asking me to provide Admin permission during simply copies.
    Last edited by LHutton; December 15th, 2015 at 11:57 AM.

It doesn't work that way in 8 or 10. The user is discouraged from using administrator accounts for daily operations. This is the proper way to use a computer environment to minimize the potential effects of malware. For system folder/files and certain other areas of the drive you need to supply administrator permissions to perform certain tasks. What specifically are you trying to do?

I was just copying something I moved back into a program folder - a shortcut and it asked for Admin permission.

I can change folder permissions at a lower level, but not at the top C drive level. Another problem is that msconfig, keeps resetting itself to defaults after I've changed the startup.

On the plus side, this sound card is off the chart good.

Moving into the root or into Program Files requires administrator permissions, that is normal and expected. It's not hard to click "Allow."

What permissions are you trying to change at the root, and moreover, why?

Are you running msconfig as admin?

Moving into the root or into Program Files requires administrator permissions, that is normal and expected. It's not hard to click "Allow."

What permissions are you trying to change at the root, and moreover, why?

Are you running msconfig as admin?
    How do you do that?