Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Finally got a chance to sit down and view those. The On Track album is very consistent! I hope that's a compliment for a photographer; it's intended as one.
    Thank you! Basically for every on-track picture in there, there were 5 to 25 that I deleted. I checked each set of bursts and picked the one that was sharpest.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post

Finally got around to that spa day for the Saturn. I'll post a video soon.

The clearcoat is nuked on all the horizontal surfaces, but it was nice to get the pollen grunge off it. I also vacuumed out the interior. It's going to be painted eventually so I'm not even going to bother with any attempt to polish or protect. I just wanted to get it to the point where if the car cover blows off of it the neighbors don't have to deal with looking at a completely trashed car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I'm starting to get into coding my BMWs. First item on the list was to investigate if the battery in the X5 was correctly installed. It was not. It came from the factory with a 92AGM battery but the used dealer I bought it from installed an 80ah wet cell battery. So the BMW charging system was trying to monitor a battery that had the wrong amperage and the wrong composition. I noticed it would drain really quickly and always sounded like it didn't want to start.

I took the battery out last night and bench-charged it to completely full. Then registered it to the car using my Foxwell scanner. Then I took the netbook I bought and configured it with all the BMW Standard scan Tools and actually coded the battery type change. Now the X5 starts a lot smoother. I used my Foxwell to Quick Erase all the DTCs in all of the modules in the car and we'll see which ones come back. The modules which were reading "Battery Exhausted" have not tripped new battery-related DTCs yet.

I think the car was sending the wrong charge rate to the battery and adding just enough to keep it going, but it wasn't able to send electricity back at the rate the modules wanted. All this because some BMW engineers got smart and ditched the physical voltage regulator, handing that duty over to the ECU.
    Fast forward nearly a year and the battery is starting to fail. The charging system has always been a bit quirky but I put the battery on my bench charger and it aborted the charge, saying that it failed to desulfate. Looks like if I'm keeping this X5 for another year I'll have to break down and buy a new AGM battery for it.

Nevermind, evolution happened again.

Traded the X5 on a '17 Chevy Volt:

I love that shade of blue. Most Volts are gray or white, and the red they came in isn't great, but the blue really pops.

It's a 2017 with about 80,000 miles. I expect to keep it 2-3 years so I'm not worried about the mileage. The battery capacity seems to be ~70% from when it was new, but it's also February in PA so I suspect the range of about 40 miles will improve to 45 or so by summer. It was advertised as 53 when it was new. We also have a lot of hills and winding roads to contend with around here so it was never going to achieve optimal battery range. But that's why we bought a PHEV w/ICE range extender because we wanted to be able to do our commutes entirely with EV but still have the freedom to stretch our legs and get over 40mpg when using gas.

I somehow went from being a complete BMW household to owning a Saab, Saturn, and Chevrolet all at the same time. It's gross. I've been a fan of the Volt since I got to ride around in a friends first gen in Wisconsin and it's been in the back of my mind ever since. When I learned that the second-gen was discontinued (in 2019) I figured my window for owning one with a good battery is closing, so I pulled the trigger. We had to decide between trading the Saab or the X5 and that hardly seemed fair to the Saab which has asked for nothing for the last two years, so we traded the problem child X5 away. I ended up really liking the E70 platform but that particular vehicle just had too much going on and I got worn down.

And I got my first check engine light on Day 1 of ownership. Turns out to be a wheel speed sensor issue that Chevy has a TSB for that affects all of their sedans over a 10-year period or so, nothing related to the powertrain.

So, how we're at:

'17 Chevy Volt (shared DD)
    '10 Saab 9-3 (utility DD)
    '08 BMW M6 (brap)
    '02 BMW 330Ci (sprint racecar)
    '96 Saturn SC2 (endurance racecar)
    '04 BMW R1200CLC (motorcycle)

Nice, congrats! When you first started talking about a 2nd-gen Volt I could only picture a single Volt in my head. I was thinking "man I totally forgot what a 1st-gen Volt looks like." Turns out the only Volt I knew was in fact a 1st-gen, and I hadn't noticed the 2nd-gens at all. But yeah, these cars seem to make a lot of sense for propulsion versatility and ease. And you got a great color. The dash display layout looks nice and logical. Hope it's a good one!

I did the same exact thing. I didn't know there was a second-gen Volt until about a week ago. I found out they made the powerplant better and improved the styling (made it more conventional, which makes sense because it's basically a Chevy Cruze) and improved the ergonomics. It was a no-brainer once I looked into it.

This leaves us without a tow vehicle for now but I'm not racing in 2024 so I don't really care. One reason we kept the Saab is because it's a lot easier to put kayaks on top of that than it would've been to put them on top of the X5.

Very nice, Nate.
    What happened to the Van?

Nice. It's hard to find a car that is an actual colour these days. Most are black, white or some grey shade inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Nice. It's hard to find a car that is an actual colour these days. Most are black, white or some grey shade inbetween.
    Not a fan of Pigeon Gray?

The van had a warped head that eventually got bad enough that it couldn't tow anymore. Ford offered to put in a brand new 6.8L V10 for $9500, with a 100k mile warranty, but I had only paid $5k for the van and didn't think it was worth it at the time. In hindsight if I had done that instead of going the X5 route I'd probably have a much more reliable and capable vehicle than the X5 ever was. But we also wanted something a little smaller for utility DD use.

Yeah, the blue is great. If you go to Carmax and look for Volts it's a sea of gray and white cars, they all look the same. I'm always surprised how many are white, it's such a poor color. I assume it's a bunch of Chevy owners cosplaying as Teslas.