Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I'm Feeling Sad" thread

Sorry to hear, man. Maybe he never really got past his son's suicide and it festered inside him over the years and he finally snapped. Who knows. I don't remember the Facebook post you mentioned but I might look it up.

Perhaps there's a genetic component of depression/suicide. When such thing runs in the family, along with environmental factors that triggers these problem... end result is multiple suicides...

Clearly something is not quite right with their psychological state. There can be multiple reasons why someone would sabotage his own life... sometimes they don't think they deserve it or perhaps triggered by other things which resulted in them making poor choices in life.

Theologically, this is a fallen world. God or Jesus probably has a reason why He wants to save us... I don't have suicidal thoughts or depression, but I certainly have other issues that I need to work on and often feel helpless about. If we're all honest about it, surely we all have areas in our lives that needs some work.

If somebody really thinks he's got it perfectly together. Good for him I guess. But I think it's likely BS.

Anyway, feel so bad for the entire family mentioned. Of course even Almighty God can't stop suicides. I suppose God just won't stop such act of freewill. Even one of Jesus' disciples committed suicide. When we screw up and when we get too emotional, we often can end up making stupid choices. One possible solution is to just try to not decide on doing anything at all while you're too emotional or under whatever influences... sigh...

I owe my eagle scout to him, and some of the pride I have in my workmanship, but honestly I wasn't close

He was a very rightwing guy, former Army grunt, martial arts trained, cared about the small guy but in a different way. It's hard to explain.

So, I don't honestly know if this is a grief thing, or if I'm just underplaying it...

*Shrug*

It obviously impacted you enough to post about it.

Whatever it is your feeling, only you can explore and find out. We are not professional psychologists and can't really help you much in this regard, but this forum is here... feel free to let it out if you think there's something inside being suppressed? Or if there's really nothing else to let out, that's fine too.

You know, I was never really that close to Ayrton Senna. In fact, I have never even met him and don't really know him at all, yet, his death still torn me apart!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Perhaps there's a genetic component of depression/suicide. When such thing runs in the family, along with environmental factors that triggers these problem... end result is multiple suicides...
    Off topic, but this is a nature vs. nurture argument I guess. There certainly could be something inherited genetically that causes people to produce more or less happy hormones in their brain.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    there's defo congenital markers for brain chemistry activity, which in turns regulates mood processes.

However, in my case at least, my condition (dysthymia), i developed it during puberty. how or why, it is beyond me.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    there's defo congenital markers for brain chemistry activity, which in turns regulates mood processes.

However, in my case at least, my condition (dysthymia), i developed it during puberty. how or why, it is beyond me.
    Same! There are indications of a genetic component to both your normal flavors of depression and dysthymia, but nothing that you'd call a strong correlation which you could test for very well. I'm personally pretty certain that dysthymia at least is to some extent directly heritable, given a lifetime of observing my father and paternal grandfather (both undiagnosed).
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Off topic, but this is a nature vs. nurture argument I guess. There certainly could be something inherited genetically that causes people to produce more or less happy hormones in their brain.
    I think often times people tend to either pick this or that. Black vs white. 1 or 0. Nature vs Nurture..., but I kinda doubt it's always one or the other kinda of thing. It's usually BOTH! Even computers require the usage of both 0 and 1 to function! Yeah, I love both side things because I believe our world can often be this paradoxical.

Bottom line is that we still have a choice. Regardless of whether its naturally born or influenced later on, we still have the ability to choose to overcome if we want. Alcoholics can still choose to not drink. It'll just be hulluva lot harder than people without the genes that made you prone to be alcoholics. Also when shit hits the fan in your life, it'll also make you a lot likely to pickup drink after drink. Basically life is full of choices... so we need to be real careful about the choices we make... which eventually lead us to different places.

If you know you have certain bad genes in you, will you take that as a precaution and pay closer attention to avoid making the wrong choices? Or would you just blame God or nature and then just use that as an excuse that your life sucks? Anyway, there's no right and wrong here. It's your life that's gifted to you whether by God or by mother nature. You choose how you want to live it or end it. Everyone has their own unique set of problems to deal with. Everyone's life ends on earth sooner or later. How to enjoy the gift while you have it or if you wish to just waste it away? Nature or nurture can definitely influence it, but ultimately the choice is ours.

[edit]Just wish to add that whether it's good, bad or the smilies... my life is my life and I am ultimately responsible for myself. As for other people's lives, particularly the ones who committed suicide, please don't blame yourself for that. How other people choose to live or end their lives, it's not your fault. I know quite often that those who were left behind after a suicide, lots of people end up feeling guilty about it. It's okay to be sad for sure, but don't blame yourself.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 16th, 2024 at 11:50 AM.

Administrator
    We're still waiting for a PET scan and a biopsy, but all signs point to my father in law having lung cancer. My wife and I are fortunate enough to have gone this far without losing a parent, but I'm worried that that's about to change.