Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Endurance Season 2020 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Of all the coverage I watched, it was hypercar the entire time. Probably 95%

I'm really happy the Corvette team won. Cadillac seemed to be right there until the rain.

Overall I enjoyed it, but I feel there should be a separate feed for the GT and lmp2s....
    I remembered the last time I tried to watch LeMans on TV, and Speedvision (remember that?) cutting away from a live feed to show a replay of a Nascar race. A fucking replay. Then, a few years ago now, I remember having to map out what channels I had to turn to at what time to get a semblance of a continuous live feed. Fed up with that nonsense, I decided that was it for me.

Fast forward to this year; I live by myself, I have an Android powered tv box that gets channels from all over the world (BuzzTV 4500XRS or something, bought it off Amazon. PM me if you want to get it activated and i'll send you the homies phone number) this is how I watch live rugby games. I'm off on Saturday. My tv box wasn't showing the listings in the guide, it was just blank. So I surfed over to the English channels and it was soccer, soccer, soccer, darts, soccer, soccer soccer, golf, soccer... you get the drift. Yeah, I got no time for this. Switched to the New Zealand sports channels, and the channel I usually watch Kiwi rugby games on had LeMans. So that's where I was watching.

But yes, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much focus on the prototypes.

I did wish for a bit more GT action at times. I think showing the emotions of several team members on the last lap was fine in this case - there wasn't a race for the lead going on anywhere, the only real battle at that point was Iron Dames pushing like mad to make the podium. I sure would have liked to see them up there.

I like the new Hypercars. All of them look amazing. And there are more coming. Great stuff.

I heard on the broadcast GTE-Am is going away next year. Is there a new GT category taking its place or is LM24 going to be all prototypes?

That poor Japanese young driver who made the mistake that cost Toyota a shot at the win. He must feel awful, especially since Hartley warned him about the rear locking in that very corner. Selfishly I was really looking forward to that battle heating up more in the last 90 minutes, but we never got it.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I heard on the broadcast GTE-Am is going away next year. Is there a new GT category taking its place or is LM24 going to be all prototypes?
    LMGT3

https://racer.com/2023/06/09/new-cla...-for-2024-wec/

So HyperCar, LMP2 (even though there will not be LMP2s in the rest of the WEC season), and LMGT3.
    Get that weak shit off my track

GTE are finally dead all over the world.
    GT3 are going to replace them.
    Unfortunately there are still going to be 15 LMP2 at the next 24 Hours of Le Mans.
    ACO seemingly is reconsidering having work teams only in GT3, I'm more optimistic about it now.

Toyota expressely ordered Hirakawa to give it full push and risking it 100% in the last stint. I would not blame him at all.
    Last edited by Blerpa; June 12th, 2023 at 03:21 AM.

Iím just glad they made a 10min race highlight for me!

Tough luck for Toyota, but Iím glad Ferrari won! Hope the good fortune will rub off to their F1 teamÖ

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    I hope they drop the stupid 3 Safety Cars and the idiotic "dropback" and "give way" rules... it is unsufferable to have 1 hour and 20 minutes of SC and also to waste 15-20 minutes to just refield each class by itself before restarts.
    It is called Le Mans and WEC... not IMSA Europe.
    I actually think the 3 car rule works to get the field controlled quicker. But it can ruin a race. So I like the idea of 3 cars + the merge. But the drop backs and pass bys and all that was a stupid nightmare.

3 safety cars, merge then go.

Also, since they have the FCY, safety car is rarely needed anyway.

What ever happened to that Ferrari that went flying off at the Porsche curves?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

I may be ok with that, Freude: 3 safety cars (I liked the closed pit exit to wait the next SC pack), but mix them anyway, do not waste time with those dropbacks and giveways, it looks lame.
    Slow Zones were a good thing, BUT... many accidents were caused by sudden Slow Zones as well.
    They will have to think about it - although there will always be human mistakes in the mix.

The Ferrari flying under the torrential rain was the Richard Mille AF Corse with Lilou Wadoux at the wheel: she managed to bring it back to the pit but eventually they DNF'ed.

Huh, 22year old female racing at Le Mans. That's damned impressive

Junior Potato
    I think the main reason for unifying the 3 SC queues into a single queue was that it unfairly disadvantaged cars in the 2nd or 3rd queue because it would turn a few seconds gap into a 60 second gap if the SC happened to pull out in-between a pair of battling cars. So instead of cars being spread somewhat uniformly around the track it was three big groups of cars. Now with the new setup we have one big train of cars. Cars can be advantaged because it essentially drops the gaps to zero, but on balance I think it's better because we really have no perfect solution.

About as close as they get to perfect in my mind is the full-course and localised slow zones, which do the best job of preserving the gaps as they were before the incident. It works well for long courses like Le Mans and Nurburgring, but they introduce some of their own problems which are mainly caused by drivers still being competitive to the very last nanosecond.

The complaint about 'Americanising' it was due to the wave-bys for anyone in the queue ahead of their class leader, allowing them to get laps back. This adds loads of extra time to the SC periods due to the laps being so long at lower than 10/10ths race pace. I think they should let the cars who get wave-bys have a shorter head start. Pull the queue over to the side after Arnage and let them go in class order with no overtaking allowed until they cross the finish line twice. No more waiting for them to join the back of the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Huh, 22year old female racing at Le Mans. That's damned impressive
    If Wadoux seems impressive I present you... Doriane Pin which was on Prema LMP2 with Mirko Bortolotti and Daniil Kyvat; she's 19 years old, dominated (9 victories out of 14 races, 10 poles) last year Ferrari Challenge Europe and got third at the FC World Finals.
    She won Gold Cup class (in GT3) at the 24 Hours of Spa in 2022 together with Rahel Frey, Sarah Bovy and Michelle Gatting, a.k.a. The Iron Dames.
    She drove in the last three rounds of last season ELMS, scoring a second place in Spa and winning at Portimao, all in a GTE.

Unfortunately Kyvat destroyed the prototype in night's early hours at the 2023 24 Hours of Le Mans.
    Last edited by Blerpa; June 13th, 2023 at 04:11 AM.