Page 253 of 305 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 3046

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Talked to my folks today. They're both now two weeks out from their second shots, so they should be as protected as they're going to be.

They went to Balboa Park in San Diego and saw that the Prado restaurant had outside seating open and ate there.

It's the first time since late February of last year that they ate out at a restaurant. That was when we took them out for my dad's 80th birthday in late Feb, 2020 to a place in little Italy, where our server who was from northern Italy told us how bad it'd been back home.

It was hard to keep my composure talking to them.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; March 20th, 2021 at 09:48 PM.

Weíre at the final stretch. Hope weíll get thru this soon...

Australia's vaccine rollout starts in earnest today. So far we've only done one dose per 100,000 (for front line types such as hospital workers or hotel quarantine workers), but now there's more availability and it's opened up to anyone elderly or vulnerable.

Why so slow? We had the luxury of time and used it to do proper vaccine approvals instead of emergency approvals.

Junior Potato
    Meanwhile countries that REALLY need it, like PNG, are getting none because our government is a pack of arseholes.

I'd be happy for our entire stock to be sent to them right now.

Yeah, we're sending only 8,000 doses for over 8 million people

Actually, I did a quick search and one of the challenges there (and other parts of the developing world, no doubt) is a lack of reliable electricity to keep the vaccine cold.

Yeah, the J&J vaccine should be a lot better for that situation, from what I gather it doesn't have nearly the cooling requirements that the two mRNA ones do. I just wish more people understood that the goal here is not to give the vaccine to the "most worthy", it's to try to stop the spread of the vaccine. This needs to be a worldwide thing - as long as there are countries out there that don't have solid access to the vaccine, it'll still be a disease just waiting to come back with some variant that the vaccines do nothing against.

Junior Potato
    Not insurmountable if you have the means and enough willpower.

We have the means, but do we as a nation possess the willpower?

Letís not forget USA doesnít even have the means to vaccinate all Americans yet. We can talk about will later.

Australia has the means to vaccinate every one already?

Iím not going to feed the poor without feeding my family 1st. I think you guys are a bit too harsh on your govt?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 21st, 2021 at 09:22 PM.

I just realized that the main reason AstraZeneca vaccine hasnít been approved in US because the company hasnít applied for use yet?!?!

I thought perhaps big US pharma has somehow blocked it, but it turns out they just donít care to enter the US market I guess. FDA as regulator cannot approve something if they donít apply for use...

So all we can do now is give away these vaccines to our neighbors in Canada and Mexico...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 21st, 2021 at 10:14 PM.