Page 267 of 290 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2899

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

  1. #2661
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I’m pretty sure the US-Canada border is still closed. I could try to swim across Lake Erie, but I’d probably have an easier time with the Detroit river. Apparently Michigan has a large surplus of doses. They probably wouldn’t sell them to us out of spite. Payback for us sending them our garbage for years.

    Toronto’s garbage gets shipped to Michigan, and they don’t like it one bit. Area wise Ontario is four times the size of Michigan, yet we don’t soil our own land and send it to them instead. It stopped for a little while I think after an uproar by MI residents, but from what I understand started again. It’s funny I bug my cousin (who was) from Michigan about it all the time.
    Well, these doses are going to be garbage so it'll be revenge.

    I just saw that Collin County, here where I live, has 3000 appointments (vaccines) available.

    All the adults in our house have been vaccinated. My brother in law is waiting for his second Pfizer. My sister and her mum both got Johnson and Johnson. I had my second officer last week.

    I wonder if the sixteen year old wants to be jabbed ...

  2. #2662
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,400
    The good news is that there is a forcing function to make nations like the US share vaccines when we can't get people to take them here. As long as other countries aren't also getting to herd immunity, we're fucked. It's in every nation's best interests to make sure that every other nation gets it as well. There's obviously still countries prioritizing themselves and that's not exactly shocking, but I just keep trying to remind myself that back in January they were saying we were on pace to vaccinate everyone in 10 years, now we're at over 40% here and it's only been a few months, so we're way ahead of schedule, and the sooner the nations that are hoarding the vaccine get through their people, the sooner it'll start making it out to everyone else.

    I do like that this was almost like a preview for Americans of what a real health care system would look like. Maybe not the friendliest experience, but quick and no bill afterwards.

  3. #2663
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    You know, this is really making me wonder why in the world that nations with excellent national healthcare systems, which took good care of their patients during the pandemic, are unable to come up with vaccines of their own?

    Is it because we still need capitalistic money to entice people/researchers to develop these things?

    If Bernie Sanders successfully achieved Medicare for all and we end up having a wonderful socialistic healthcare system, would we all of a sudden lose the capability to rapidly develop the needed vaccine like Canada?
    Australia developed its own vaccine, but it had the side effect of having a chance of giving a false positive on a HIV test. Thats not an issue to most people, but its enough to stop it being a good option across a population.
    I think some of these developments deliberately went down different paths, rather than everyone doing the same thing. Last thing you want is 5 programs all working the same route, to then find a blocker.

    So it does seem that it the vaccine development is not tied to your style of health system. The US is just the biggest place for these sorts of development, based mostly on size of economy.

  4. #2664
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I do like that this was almost like a preview for Americans of what a real health care system would look like. Maybe not the friendliest experience, but quick and no bill afterwards.
    If only more people thought like this, rather than like Billi who only reads the fist-pumping articles coming out saying that the US has "COME FROM BEHIND TO WIN THIS RACE UNLIKE EVIL DICTATORSHIP!!!!!" lolllll

  5. #2665
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The good news is that there is a forcing function to make nations like the US share vaccines when we can't get people to take them here. As long as other countries aren't also getting to herd immunity, we're fucked. It's in every nation's best interests to make sure that every other nation gets it as well. There's obviously still countries prioritizing themselves and that's not exactly shocking, but I just keep trying to remind myself that back in January they were saying we were on pace to vaccinate everyone in 10 years, now we're at over 40% here and it's only been a few months, so we're way ahead of schedule, and the sooner the nations that are hoarding the vaccine get through their people, the sooner it'll start making it out to everyone else.

    I do like that this was almost like a preview for Americans of what a real health care system would look like. Maybe not the friendliest experience, but quick and no bill afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    If only more people thought like this, rather than like Billi who only reads the fist-pumping articles coming out saying that the US has "COME FROM BEHIND TO WIN THIS RACE UNLIKE EVIL DICTATORSHIP!!!!!" lolllll
    Indeed. What an insightful takeaway.

    I'll be touting the rewards/ results of national healthcare as being similar. And LOUDLY reminding anyone who'll listen how the Democrats have been trying to fix and expand healthcare while the GQP has been trying to "replace and repeal."

  6. #2666
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,669
    The thing is, as much as I love Bernie Sanders and affordable healthcare for all, it is kinda discouraging to not find a more socialistic nation that came up with more vaccines.

    Socialism is obviously better on the way down... in the beginning of the pandemic, you’d definitely feel safer in those more progressive/socialistic nations. However, I think we still need capitalism to dig ourselves out of trouble? Social safety net is a must as we’re falling down, but capitalism apparently is a better ladder to get us out of the hole? So depending on the situation, a government needs to be more adaptable and not just stick to a single -ism I think...

  7. #2667
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,400
    I don't think I posted this here, it's the story of the woman who essentially pioneered mRNA vaccines. She toiled away for years, often losing funding when she couldn't get grants. Honestly, the fact that we have these vaccines is *despite* the capitalist system which attempted many times to kill her research.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/h...na-kariko.html

  8. #2668
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,669
    Won’t let me read it..., but I remember reading something similar way back... might be about the same researcher? The thing is, why she didn’t go do her research else where and so we can spot light another more deserving nation other than the stupid US?

    Anyway, US system has certainly done something right to be leading the world with its vaccines, but I wish these big US pharmas would be willing to freely share their recipes to the world...

    These vaccine patents would become useless soon as we have more variants anyway. They’ve already got billions from the govt... really no need to be so greedy... the drawbacks of capitalism...

    Anyway, I really want to see a progressive/socialistic nation do well from beginning to end of this pandemic, but I guess only China can do so very well from beginning to end and we ought to praise Chinese commies for their amazing effort!

    Happy YW?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 19th, 2021 at 11:01 PM.

  9. #2669
    反重力 Rikadyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,431
    You refuse to learn what socialism is and continue to use it as the same boogeyman that the right does.

  10. #2670
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Won’t let me read it...
    Incognito/Private tab. Loads just fine in Chrome for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •