Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I think it's got to do with the battery deployment, the Mercedes and the Ferrari PUs look like they can store more energy.
    acket.

Really? I thought things such as battery storage would be the same for all teams, but I guess rules only specified a weight limit? So it's possible for teams to pack as high of energy density battery as they want? Plus, if you are producing more power, your turbo is probably blowing harder and charging the batteries more too?

Anyway, if there's still really such a significant power deficit with Honda engines, RB is really doing a great job to finish 2nd and 4th.

I think I phrased my previous answer incorrectly.

It is not the amount of energy that the PUs can store, it's how much they can harvest and divert to the batteries plus the energy that can be used from the MGUK and MGUH on-the-fly.

FWIU, the banned 'party mode' of (mostly) Mercedes cranked up the ICE in such a way that the extra energy didn't have to pass thru the batteries for later use, but was instead made available to the crankshaft instantaneously. That's why that advantage was exacerbated in tracks with no heavy braking zones, like Austria, as there were not enough recharging zones for the more 'normal' ER systems.

I don't quite understand the rules, in the part that says that power from the batteries to the driving axle is limited to 2 MJ for up to 33 seconds per lap but -I've seen this somewhere- somehow the Mercedes PU was capable of delivering 4 MJ... I think that's why the party mode was banned, because they had found a way to bypass the Energy Store System... And because there is no unlearning, some of that extra recovered energy must be making its way back to the rear wheels more efficiently for Mercedes than for Honda, because Verstappen and Perez were clearly running out of juice, both during qualifying and during the race. Remember how Perez wasn't able to attempt FLs back to back, meanwhile Bottas strung 2 or 3 laps in succession?

In their recent debriefing of their new ICE, Honda was candid in saying that the redesign of the block head and cylinder sleeves put them back in their ERS performance and had to make modifications to the turbo:

Quote Originally Posted by Racefans.com
    Once validated, the more robust cylinders allowed the team to seek greater performance from its engine. This was done by reshaping the combustion chamber to increase compression, by reducing the angle at which the valves are positioned. This proved to be a win-win development: the camshafts were moved closer together, producing a more compact engine, which is easier to package within an F1 chassis.

These gains came with a downside, however. As the unit performed more efficiently, less energy was lost through the exhaust system, which deprived the MGU-H of power. To solve this, the blades of the turbine were reshaped, enabling it to perform more effectively despite the reduced exhaust energy.

Further reductions in the size of the engine, and lowering of its centre of gravity, were obtained by introducing new construction materials. These allowed Honda to reduce the engine’s bore pitch (the gap between the centres of adjacent cylinders).
    So that means that they were back to 2020 levels of energy recovery, which was still down from what Mercedes had on hand.
    acket.

Very interesting... Didn't realize Honda's improvements made on on their ICE may have caused further power deficit to their electric part of their PU... Thanks for the explanations!

I guess RB will continue to have issues on power circuits. Best strategy for Max is to simply ride behind Mercedes' coat tails for most of the race and then pass for the lead on the last lap?

Think about this video the next time Paul DiResta criticizes Hamilton (or anybody else) for their "mind games". There's a saying in Spanish: "It's not the same to watch the bullfights from the barriers".
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Definitely. Every lap that Max was catching Bottas saw him open up DRS about .7 seconds back and he'd claw his way up to .4 seconds back by the end of the straight. DRS or no, he just had nothing on the Merc's straight line speed.
    Discussion here of the discrepency in passing power between the Mercs and the Red Bulls - https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-...pen-so-easily/ - sounds like the Merc has less drag (and/or is running less downforce)

Thanks, sam.
    acket.

Very interesting. Thanks samoht!

I think that makes sense, Mercedes’ low rake concept itself probably disturb the air less compared to RB’s high rake concept.

RB probably will be no match to Mercedes in power circuits with long straights…

So nice of Mercedes to do this for grojean…

Anyway, I thought he already had the best closure any driver could ask for… he went out with a bang and walked out of a ball of fire! Who could top that?!?!?