Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Well only one tire brand. All we need to see is a colored stripe for the compound.

I know. Just messing around!

Oh you silly trickster!

But seriously, will they end up with bigger brakes? These cars already have so much braking power...

Also the proposed rim size change... is it due to engineering reasons or just purely aesthetics?

Junior Potato
    They will get bigger brakes. But that is not about braking power, as any braking device can lock up almost any tyre on any car you can think of. It is about heat dissipation.

And I am not sure about the rim size change, but it has been in the wings for over a decade now. I have heard talk about aesthetics, tyre technology being closer to road cars, because other series such as sportscars and IndyCars have larger wheels, you name it.

Is the change for performance or marketing/aesthetics/R&D?
    Always thought low profile tires just added and and harshness in exchange for looks. Will the reduced sidewall flex be enough to makeup for the extra unsprung rotating mass? Guessing the suspension will be beefed up too as it'll be doing nearly twice the work.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Marketing, basically.

Tire manufacturers spend a lot of money without the chance to advertise their high-margin LOW PROFILE!!1! tires. No twenties is one of the reasons why Michelin has stayed away from GP cars and concentrated on providing for sports and rally cars.
    acket.

That's a pretty lame reason.

Now that I remembered years back reading about larger rim size actually slowed a car's acceleration...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...t-performance/

However, if we look at lap times, it's harder to tell...

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...inch-tyres.htm

Objective data suggests larger rims are faster when dry, but performance order would reverse when wet. If this trend holds for F1 cars, we can expect lap times to go down... however, when it rains, expect more cars to fly off track!

Junior Potato
    I see rumours swirling and saying that HAAS is going to sell out to the Mazepins and make a (possibly quite profitable) departure from F1.

It’s probably for the best. I don’t think Gene knew what he was getting into when he entered F1. He hasn’t looked happy in any interview I have seen. It’s like he’s been wondering how the fuck can I get out of this shit show...well now we know