Page 54 of 78 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

I think that mid to late 90s IndyCars are better than every F1 car ever, and think most modern F1 cars look a bit silly. The old ones look, well, old, and recognize that they are very often death traps, so I don't think of them too fondly.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    I have to say, it was playing Grand Prix Legends that got me into the older F1 cars, before that I was probably more in Billi's camp.

Now I'm fully on board with the idea that 1967 was 'peak F1', with three-litre engines of a variety of configurations, and lightweight pre-aero cars on crossply tyres, slid around true road courses by heroic drivers. But it was the way the game immersed me into that world, and confronted me with the intense throttle-sensitivity of the cars, that converted me.

Improvements have been from all areas, not solely composites. I think aerodynamic downforce was the biggest single factor in changing the nature of F1, leading to significantly increased cornering speeds as well as changing the interaction between following cars. After that maybe tyres, then the escalation in engine power from 400hp at the start of the three litre formula to 1000hp today.
    Interesting, will have to find the opportunity to play me some GP Legends then... Maybe I'll be converted.

For now I think I'm in pretty good agreement with Kchrpm. I really liked the 90's indycars too. I began to like them more than F-1 during that similar period as F-1 cars began to look weird and ugly... and the IRL totally screwed it over...

Anyway, yeah, I mostly dislike the older racing cars precisely because they are freaking death traps! If you don't get killed instantly, you get burned to death... and if you don't die, you end up looking like Niki Lauda. The dude was already ugly enough without getting burned like that!

Junior Potato
    I would challenge all of your assertions.

But I also love IndyCars too.

I love/hate that car! Even after decades, itís still a good looking car!

I loved it when Mansell was driving it.

I got bored with it when Prost got hold of it. Shown in pic.

I hated it when it killed my most beloved driver...

Frank Williams was crazy to keep on swapping drivers by firing or killing defending champs like that...

But I suppose things were way more interesting with such shuffles. Kinda wish Ferrari and Mercedes had done likewise.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 28th, 2021 at 08:30 PM.

Junior Potato
    That's Damon Hill in the car.

Oh yeah, forgot the #2 driver got the number 0 and the #1 driver got the number 2...

This is the kind of driving I like to see...499982BA-67C7-4F1B-BC8A-5505EF3D80DB.jpeg

Junior Potato
    Slip angle <3

USGP tickets on sale. Got mine in turn 19. I think that may be a new set of grandstands? I don't remember them being there last time. I think it used to be hospitality.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    This is the kind of driving I like to see...499982BA-67C7-4F1B-BC8A-5505EF3D80DB.jpeg
    I donít really mind that kind of driving or any kind of driving as long as itís the kind that win you races.

However, those cars just look wrong, donít you agree? Tiny front wheels and jumbo rears? Are they racing dragsters or something?

I suppose itís cool that they were just experimenting around thatís why f1 cars have changed so much during the old days... or perhaps they just had more relaxed rules? Anyways...

But I think that engineering sweet spot has probably been hit right around the 80s, thatís why f-1 cars really havenít changed itís overall shape all that much since then...

Until the next revolutionary tech comes around...