Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GTXers do Time Trials and Track Days - 2022

ooh very nice

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    If you need a warm-up event SCCA TTNT is going to VIR the weekend of March 10th-12th.
    My son and I were *really* looking forward to the TTNT schedule, then were crushed when it came out.
    Nothing closer to us than an 8-hour drive. No CMP, no Barber, no Sebring.
    The 9-10 hour drive to events in cars that are our daily drivers just doesn't work. We can't afford trucks and trailers. I have no plans to put a tow hitch on my car.
    We live in Florida, so we're both running 200tw summer tires year round... but daily tires with 20,000 miles on them won't compete. I have track tires on my spare wheels. I'd need a third set of wheels with fresh TT tires.
    There's just too much. Can't swing the long distance ones. My wife is willing to bring our CX-5 to Savannah for our support vehicle (3 hour trip), but that's as far as she'll go.

I think CMP is alternating years.

NCM twice was especially disappointing. Particularly with no Eagles Canyon, Thompson, etc.

Road Atlanta doesn't work for you? I only mention it because I would assume it would be about the same or closer than Barber. Though it is about as far away from Florida as you can get and still be in Georgia.

I am a bit disappointed in no eagles canyon events. But if it's because OIR is happening, I'll take it. Shorter driver for me...

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I happen to have that weekend free and flights are no more (maybe less) than domestic round trip flights to the midwest or east coast here. Dang. Credit card mini vacation in the UK??
    Hopefully next time! Samoht and I had a blast, and figured out what sort of more focused experience we'd like to do on the next occasion.

I should have jumped on it! I forget why I didn't. But we do need a full report from the both of yas you know.

Thanks. We may write one up!

I may also be in Napa in April. In which case, maybe Sonoma Raceway?

Central Florida Region TT / TE Event
    Sebring "Club" Course
    July 22-23

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...raceway-619938

Decided to give the Track Night in America crowd a try yesterday. I know there is a bit of a "reputation" of TNiA for being a bit of an unregulated free-for-all, but with the track being RIGHT HERE, it's tough to pass up. And I know it is intended to get people interested in joining SCCA and is aimed at the novice driver, but they have an Advanced group for a reason, right?
    Overall it was a good time. Most of the poser, EBay modded cars broke in the first sessions, and it became clear that there were a few guys in Advanced that had no business being there. So that made it easier to navigate the remaining 2 sessions. My little MX-5 was definitely the slowest CAR in the sea of Z06s, GT3s, ZL1s, and GT500s, but we were able to get by many of the cars costing 10, 15, or 20 times as much. (I paid $5800 for my car)
    Driving under the lights at Daytona was what I was looking forward to the most, and the feeling dud not disappoint. Very, very different feeling. Spotting the turn-in point for the bus stop was interesting... it's quite dark back there and speeds are high. Unfortunately, an over-boosted WRX STi blew his turbo out and dumped oil all over the track, and the session was cut short.
    In summary, having a track day with mostly non-track people was occasionally frustrating, but since I'm just out there to have a blast (not fighting for lap times), it was worth it. Track days with Central Florida Region SCCA and with Just Track It will remain my main focus.

Last edited by GB; September 23rd, 2023 at 02:09 PM.

If that's the TNiA reputation they're doing it a lot differently in Florida than we do up here.