Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GTXers do Time Trials and Track Days - 2022

I'll be dipping my toes into time trial type stuff the first week of May. If any of you are nearby come out and say Hi and see some sweet rides; though as Cam alludes to each track may have its own rules for entry (normally around here in CA you just pay the $10-20 gate fee if there is one).

Here's the schedule of tracks mostly around the middle-ish of the US: https://www.onelapofamerica.com/curr....do?eventId=42

We are Team Kaos, driving a German Supra.

You are going to be at CMP? I will certainly attempt to come say hi then.

Wait, you're going to be at CMP and Lanier in the same day? That won't leave you much time to say hi. I think it's at least a five-hour drive between them.

Edit: Four hours by freeway.
    Last edited by Cam; March 16th, 2022 at 10:01 AM.

Lanier is the tiny oval at Road Atlanta, right?

Yes.

The schedule has an event at CMP ending at 3:30pm and the event at Lanier starting at 5:00pm. It is not possible to get between those two places in 1.5 hours.

You have to understand One Lap, though. It takes several hours for the field to get their runs in. On the first day, they establish a running order based on speed (and Brocks whim, if need be) and the fastest cars go first at every event. Once the fastest car finishes its second run, they leave and head to the next location. So CMP 'ends' at 3:30pm, but the first car is already at Lanier waiting for the gate to open. The last car leaves CMP at 3:30pm and does their run at Lanier at 7:30pm.

Given that Lanier is the short oval it is easy to run it as a second event for one day because that will be a relatively short event.

Then everyone drives to Barber to do their runs the next morning.

That's why it REALLY pays to be quick early. You get so much more sleep and a lot less standing around. When Tyler and I were looking at doing this we considered that as part of car selection, we *could* go in the MINI or FR-S but we'd be the tail end of every event and the last to the hotel each night.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't have time to go anywhere for lunch or coffee or anything, the whole week is pretty much hang out at the track, do some laps, get on the road, sleep some, repeat. Sounds pretty fun, but doesn't leave a lot of social time outside of the OneLap family or guests joining us at the track.

CHANGE OF PLANS

I can't make it to Roebling Road next week. I had to cancel. Sorry Cam.

But in lieu of RRR, my son and I have entered the Time Trials event at Sebring the following week, the first weekend in April.

https://timetrials.scca.com/events/2000375-2022-tire-rack-scca-time-trials-national-tour-at-sebring-raceway-powered-by-hagerty

Was looking forward to the JTI event, as the Savannah area is usually really nice this time of year. Just didn't work out, timing-wise.

Bummer. Good luck at Sebring, then!

You get to do Sebring. I'm so excited for you.

I need to get this garage done so I can start the work on the car