Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: MotoGP 2022

OMG that Phillip Island final lap!

Yeah that was a stunner.
    Feel sorry for Jorge, up by 4 secs at one point, to come so close.

Junior Potato
    I watched it from here.

My mate who lives on Philip Island went to some European rounds last year and met some Czechia blokes who were massive Jack Miller fans. They hit it off and got invited to come to Australia. Of course, they also support Filip Salač in Moto2, so they have renamed Philip Island in his honour.

That track is so beautiful.

I feel sorry for the rest of the field when Marquez switches to Ducati next season.

This race being an anomaly, I have to say MotoGP hasn’t been the close racing lately that it has been known for. Anyone tuning in after several years hiatus will wonder what happened to Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha? And what the hell is Ducati, Aprilia and KTM doing dominating the sport?

I also feel like, and this is not based in fact…just my feelings based on nostalgia, the current overall talent level is much lower than back in 500GP days. These guys are riding super tame, electronically controlled bikes (in comparison to those of yesteryear) and yet they are still throwing them on the ground left and right at what seems like a much higher rate than those old guys.

But like I said…it may be me misremembering.

Junior Potato
    I canít speak for the rate of crashing, but when they do crash itís a much higher speed. The level of grip and the electronics mask how hard they are to ride.

Up until even the late 2000s they worked really well with loose, sloppy riding. All of the stars back then were brought up on dirt, so slidey dirt riding styles are what the bikes were designed around. Then they had to be ridden ultra smooth and ultra precisely. Jorge Lorenzo was a pioneer of that style and thatís what Yamaha built for him. Thatís the way Honda seemed to have went too. Now they canít build a bike for him.

Meanwhile Ducati and KTM have happened across a configuration that favours a wider range of riding styles. The Japanese have bikes that canít be ridden to match the engineering, while the Europeans have bikes that can be ridden by a bunch of the best guys.

However, among all of the bikes, the way they are ridden now is almost a different language to what they had 5 years ago. The difference I mention is only a few percentage points. I donít think Casey Stoner or Lorenzo would have a good time on them unless they were able to rapidly adapt to the way the electronics and aerodynamics work these days.

Yeah not sure if the talent is different. We have had weak periods, I think when both Rossi and Doohan dominated the depth wasn't there.

As for the crashes, I think at least in Marquez case its that the knows he should be at the front but isn't and is taking risks and pushing to and past the limit to keep up. When he had a competitive bike he made much fewer mistakes.

It just seems like the top guys throw it away in a silly low side for no reason sometimes. Last week Jorge had it in the bag and just threw it down. Bagnaia has done it several times over the years. These guys have premium grip, downforce, traction control, mapping, communication with the pit…I don’t know, just seems like they should be less crashy.

Marquez is going to crush these guys next year on a Ducati if they can set it up for him.

Silly aside…not sure if you guys get the same broadcast as we do but I really hate that the track position monitor on the left side of the screen doesn’t update live like F1. There is such a huge delay and it pisses me off that they can’t fix that.

Also love when Simon Crafar calls it perfectly…he perfectly predicted Martin’s struggles by choosing the soft tire. On like the first couple of laps he said it I’ll be damned if he wasn’t right on the money…to the exact lap when his lap times would start to fall off a cliff. I remember him from the old days…good dude.
    Last edited by JoeW; October 24th, 2023 at 04:17 AM.

I meant to ask what was up with Marquez, was he still in recovery or what, but overriding inferior machinery seems like a reasonable explanation for what I've seen in the highlights packages.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Jeezus what a race in Thailand. Fucking ballsy pass attempt by (insert name here) on the penultimate lap. Then the penalty on (insert name here) was such a gift for (insert name here).