Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam: 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness

Thank yew! I'll be here all week.

I remember seeing a post from some guy who said he traded his Honda Passport (must have been a new one, not the rebadged Izusu Rodeo) in on a Ridgeline and was all pissed off that one of the features of his Passport wasn't available in a Ridgeline.

And, yeah, right away I'm judging this guy in my mind as being someone with more money than brains if he's making that deal, but okay, maybe he needed an open truck bed. Whatever.

Anyway, this guy was griping that his newest ride doesn't have rain-sensing wipers that turn on automatically.

Is anyone really that lazy?

My Dad owned a 1948 Jeep CJ-2 back in the '70s. The Jeep had an aftermarket metal half cab, like a pickup truck with the shortest bed ever, and it had windshield wipers, but only the driver's side had a powered wiper. The passenger wiper had a little metal handle coming out of the wiper motor box for the passenger to manually turn the blade back and forth. That was my job when I was a kid.

Maybe the guy with the new Ridgeline grew up where it rains all the time and his parents only had an old Jeep. Maybe he has wrist and elbow problems from all that wiper blade turning over the years. Maybe he swore one day he'd make it big and never turn a wiper blade again.

I guess that's why manufacturers put all that useless luxury crap in cars. It's all that guy's fault!

Sorry for the thread hijack. We now return to you to your regularly scheduled Subaru thread, already in progress.

The M6 has decent rain-sensing wipers. The only issue with them is that you have to turn them on first, every time. I mean, I have to move my index finger a tiny bit to turn on the feature. That's hardly a feature at all.

Looks good, Cam. Enjoy!

I've had rain sensing wipers on my last two daily drivers.

I enjoy them, and they work decent. I do wish I had I adaptive cruise, though.

Lori and I went camping overnight in the mountains to break in the new-to-us car. We didn't really plan anything. We just went toward northeast Georgia/western North Carolina. We took the GPS that we bought for the bikes though, which had the Smokey Mountain 500 loaded. Lori was looking at the GPS at one point and said, "The Smokey Mountain 500 intersects here." I said, "Let's take it!"

We turned on to a road that eventually got narrow, then turned to gravel/dirt. We got to a steep, narrow section and we saw a few jeeps and 4x4s around. The road turned into basically this gnarly, narrow 4x4 track. We came around a corner and there was a water crossing. I figure lots of vehicles have passed through here and it didn't seem that deep, so I went for it. I am pretty sure the water was nearly up to the door sills. We made it just fine though. Alas, it was two-way traffic, so it was challenging to pass by other vehicles. A couple of times, other vehicles backed up to a wider section of the track so we could pass. At one point, I pulled out of the way to let another vehicle pass and got a branch stuck under the car. I had to stop and clear it. There were two more water crossings along this section. We found out later the track was called Charlie's Creek. Look up "Charlie's Creek Georgia" if you are interested in seeing more info, photos or vids. I thought was fun, but it triggered Lori's anxiety. All these guys in 4x4 jeeps and trucks were probably WTFing at us in our Outback.

A few times, I was sure there were only three tires on the ground, including at this wash-out in a different area later on; putting X-mode through it's paces. At this point, Lori was driving when we came up on this. I made her stop and let me out so I could take a vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHb7EbJNWUU

The rest of the trip was much more sedate. Although, we drove many miles on single-lane, dirt/gravel roads. I think we've confirmed that Raven lives up to its Wilderness title.

IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0178.jpg IMG_4187.jpg
    Last edited by Cam; October 9th, 2022 at 01:29 PM.

Also, we joked that we felt like we were in a Subaru ad, doing outdoor adventure stuff in our new car.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    :rad:
    acket.

Awesome, but probably a bit too ‘wild’ for me and my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Also, we joked that we felt like we were in a Subaru ad, doing outdoor adventure stuff in our new car.
    I was going to say, I thought no one did all the things those commercials show in their sedan/wagon-based crossovers, but I'm proven wrong!
    Get that weak shit off my track

After a week-end away in the car, I have a few things to add to my experience driving it.

Navigation System: Sluggish to respond to inputs. I found it not intuitive to use. I could not figure out how to get directions to a town. As far as I can tell, you have to have a very specific address in that town in order for the system to work. Couldn't just tell it to go to, say, Columbia, SC. You would have to tell it to go to something like City Hall, Columbia, SC. I found that odd. Minor roads were nearly the same colour as the background, making it very difficult to see them. Browsing around the map is a frustrating endeavour. I have the same issue with the motorcycle GPS unit. If you already know where you want to go, it's great. If you want to figure stuff out as you go, it's not great. Basically, I wish it worked like Google Maps. (I understand that it can't work like Google Maps because of satellite vs cell data.)

Seats: Power adjustable in many directions, so you can find the perfect position. They are supportive and I never got fatigued over hours of driving. However, they are made from waterproof synthetic material. While that makes them easy to clean and they resist liquids, they don't breathe at all. They are very effective at trapping sweat. Lori really likes the heated seats. This morning it was about 5C (40F) when we got in the car. I turned the seat heater on low for 5 minutes, which is enough to make the seat not cold. That is as much as I can stand. My butt feels like it's on fire otherwise. Did I mention the sweat-trapping material?

Climate Control: Yesterday morning after driving for a bit, it started to get warm in the car. We turned on the climate control to 72-73F maybe. After a few minutes, I realized it was blowing hot air, despite the fact that the AC was on. I'm like, "It's 85 (F) in the car. Why is the heat on?" We had to turn it down to 65F to get cool air. It seemed to be a one-time thing, as the climate control seemed to work as expected the rest of the week-end.

I'll probably have more to add later.