Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Samoht - 2019 McLaren 570GT

Congrats, great looking car! Your comment about getting used to where the extremities are got me to look up the width (82.5" / 2095mm), I'm surprised it's so wide! Not that I spend a ton of time around McLarens but I've always thought of them as small cars.

Quote Originally Posted by retsmah View Post
    Your comment about getting used to where the extremities are got me to look up the width (82.5" / 2095mm), I'm surprised it's so wide! Not that I spend a ton of time around McLarens but I've always thought of them as small cars.
    Yeah... it's 1920mm or something across the body, the extra ~18cm is the mirrors.

Generally when driving the limiting factor on the inside is at ground level, where the kerb or a grass verge is, and on the outside my mirrors will probably slip underneath most other cars', so the total effective width isn't quite as bad as the mirror-tip-to-mirror-tip measurement suggests. That is the relevant factor when squeezing into and out of the garage, though. Folding the mirrors gets you down to 2045mm I think, they just rotate on the mounts so still stick out a fair bit.

The 570 series is a fairly rounded shape, with quite a lot of plan taper, which makes it look smaller than its actual maximum extent - it's actually the same size or a hair bigger than the 'senior' 650S. It was one of my biggest concerns about going this route rather than another sports car, but so far it's mostly not limiting my enjoyment of driving it.

Junior Potato
    Is now a good time to point out the kiwi bird motif that has been designed into the sides of the car?

Check it out. You’ll see it!

Oh my, can't unsee it now!

That kiwican'tfly, but can certainly go fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Is now a good time to point out the kiwi bird motif that has been designed into the sides of the car?

Check it out. You’ll see it!
    The black section ahead of the air intake is extended like a kiwi's beak ?

I was aware the company continues the legacy of the accomplished Kiwi Bruce McLaren who died far too young, but I hadn't noticed that nod to history - deliberate or not, it's pretty cool!

Junior Potato
    Yes, all the way forward to the front indicator lens.

But not only that: the black panel is the body, and the ridge line underneath represents the feet. Kinda like if you took the old school McLaren kiwi logo and stretched it out to make it look faster.

Okay, the feet part is a bit of a stretch, but still very cool insight.

Always thought McLaren engineers spent thousands of hours wind tunnel testing it to get that special inlet shape..., guess not!

Thanks for continuing to share the experience with us so we can live vicarious McLaren ownership.

I keep forgetting how refreshing it is to just go for a drive in a sports car on a weekend. Whether it's a short run for morning coffee, or wandering in the foothills for an hour, or a full day trip deep into the mountains. I need to get back to that more often.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Thanks for continuing to share the experience with us so we can live vicarious McLaren ownership.

I keep forgetting how refreshing it is to just go for a drive in a sports car on a weekend. Whether it's a short run for morning coffee, or wandering in the foothills for an hour, or a full day trip deep into the mountains. I need to get back to that more often.
    I need to do the same.....

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I need to do the same.....
    Third!