Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy F1 2023

It's gonna cost me more points but the results have been updated following several post-race time penalties.

I would like to see Logan's idea attempted. I've been thinking this for years; put a wide strip of grass at the track limits edge, perhaps at least two car widths, and then go back to asphalt outside of that if you want to avoid mistakes resulting in DNFs. I think the hard part here might be the transition from grass to pavement, you wouldn't want a lip that could launch cars.

I've thought about that grass bit, too, but I was always under the impression that the paved runoff was for all of the other series and amateur track events, to make them more palatable for people to take their expensive cars out and not worry about screwing them up. I don't know what the grass part does for those. As you said, it will get torn up and cause a dip.

What track/race was it recently where the cars were so consistently going off that they dug up all of the grass/dirt at the edge, and made it a serious lip that caused some major issues?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Updated after penalties

Junior Potato
    Don't forget dangerous lips that can injure sliding motorcycle riders too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    What track/race was it recently where the cars were so consistently going off that they dug up all of the grass/dirt at the edge, and made it a serious lip that caused some major issues?
    Was it NASCAR at Indy road course in 2011? The cars had no minimum ride height rules so were launching the bottom of the oil sump off the back stretch chicane. They ended up removing the rumble strip.

Or did you mean Le Mans this year on the exit of Indianapolis?

And this is the first time I've ever heard mention of paved runoff areas being built for lesser series and track days. I'd always heard it was pushed by F1 to increase competition by reducing the amount of cars being retired by getting stuck in gravel traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    And this is the first time I've ever heard mention of paved runoff areas being built for lesser series and track days. I'd always heard it was pushed by F1 to increase competition by reducing the amount of cars being retired by getting stuck in gravel traps.
    I always just assumed, because it combined with really flat or non-existent curbs as well.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    it's mainly for track days and specially for tracks that earn a profit from amateur bikers.
    acket.

Yeah, add some artificial turfs, flush with the curb or the edge of the road… along with sensors! If anyone drove on top of it, triggers lap deletion during qualifying or a drive thru penalty during the race. Dish out the penalties in real time please!

Move the kerbs closer to the line, destroy their floors and front wings, listen to Toto and Christian complain about cost again

Maybe instead of a wide grass strip, which can cause problems with the transitions between surfaces, pave a wide strip of low-grip asphalt instead? The issue with that could be that clever drivers could still take advantage by going wide on certain exits, because I don't think a slippery-enough asphalt might exist in the dry.

There's so much money in F1, just make them dig up some tarmac, put in grass and re-pave it after the race.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)