Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dashcam Thread

Yeah, thatís the annoying thing about products that require apps. If vendor doesnít keep up, eventually itíll become so outdated that you wonít be able to download and use anymore.

If the retailer is fine with getting your money back, Iíd just get it back and install something cheaper. I personally donít see the need to invest $300 in a dashcam. I dunno, maybe Iím just too cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I personally donít see the need to invest $300 in a dashcam. I dunno, maybe Iím just too cheap!
    Nor do I. I think if it were up to me, I'd get a Garmin 67W. However, this is a gift from my wife, so I'm going to try to make it work.

No one has suggested the cameras aren't good, and as Alan's videos show, they're all the same lenses and whatever else inside as any other brand. If the app doesn't work - or even if it does - I could get an Apple lightning camera cable and SD card reader and import the video to my iPhone at the scene, or so it appears from what I think I've learned so far.

I'm a detail person and I tend to obsess over things that aren't all that important. Time to just get on with it and hope for the best.

I have an older 66W dash cam, and it has saved me from over what would have been 12k or so in at fault damages.

That reminds me that I need to get another rear-facing one for my next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I have an older 66W dash cam, and it has saved me from over what would have been 12k or so in at fault damages.
    I remember you saying that in some other thread. It was the first recommendation I ever got. I like Garmin if only because, of all the cameras I've seen for sale, Garmin is the only company I've ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw_slayer
    That reminds me that I need to get another rear-facing one for my next trip.
    I have no idea what they sell in your neck of the woods, but this looks pretty good to this dashcam neophyte: Garmin Dash Camô Mini 2 for USD $110.00.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I have no idea what they sell in your neck of the woods, but this looks pretty good to this dashcam neophyte: Garmin Dash Cam™ Mini 2 for USD $110.00.
    Looks OK, but front-facing only? What I mean is one that has a front and rear lens in the same unit.

^ Ah, now I understand. I was imagining you already had a front cam and wanted to add a rear one. I now know having two cameras doesn't mean having two separate units as I first assumed.

I was expecting suction cups and wires running to power outlets when I starting thinking about dashcams, like my father's radar detectors that he started using in the 1970s. One of them was called a Snooper. It had a metal wire that hung over the rear mirror, so the whole thing (and it they were large back then; about the size of a 12 oz. can) swung back and forth as we drove, and of course there was a cable going down to the lighter too.

I still don't understand why relatively low-tech cameras aren't more available, but then again I get downvoted on r/audiobooks whenever I suggest a standalone mp3 player when people ask how they can listen to audiobooks and podcasts and so forth. *shrug*

Anyway, the shop installed my M6 dashcams on Saturday. The app definitely works, but I can see why some might say it doesn't. A guy at the shop showed me how to use it. If he hadn't, I'd probably be rage-posting about how I got ripped off like a few recent reviewers have done. One guy complained he couldn't change the time zone from Pacific Time. It was one of the first things I tried. "It doesn't save the change," I showed the guy training me. "Click on Apply," he said. Oh.

The trick is you have to be in your car with phone in hand and then press the wi-fi button on the back of the camera on the windshield. Then, and only then, will the phone connect to the camera.

If you're not in or near enough to the car for the phone to connect to the camera's wi-fi, the app will launch on the phone but you can't do anything. And I don't understand the Live Viewer feature. It only works if you're in the car and connected to the camera via wi-fi, so why bother with that feature? I can't sit in my office with my car down in the parking garage and review my drive to work. I can do that while I'm still sitting in the car with the car running, but not once I turn it off and/or walk out of wi-fi range. All this talk of "you can be on safari in Africa and check your car's cameras back home in America" doesn't seem possible with this setup, but I don't go on safari often enough for this to be a problem.

The same shop also tinted my windows the same day. I've been wanting to have done as long as I've owned this car, which is four years in July, but I never felt like I had enough money, time, or trust in others to have it done. I met the tint guy, who said he's been doing it for 25 years. Met the camera installer also. Neither were the "minimum wage high school kid" I figured they'd have working at a retail shop at a mall. I left quite impressed with Car Toys and the professionals who work there.

Finally, I'm now tossing an old towel on my windshield when I park my car in our garage so it won't keep filming me and others as we move around in there. I quickly realized every time someone walks in front of or behind the car, such as in the grocery store parking lot yesterday and then me mowing the lawn with the garage door open, it saves a short film clip of the "incident". I then have to go in and delete them all. That's not a problem, but this is all new to me and it's kind of fun.

Thanks again for all the advice.
    Last edited by George; June 26th, 2023 at 10:07 AM.

Glad you had a positive experience.

Did you get ceramic tint?

Yes, I did. They installed Xpel brand XR Plus. So far, so good.

I started doing ceramic when I did the Delorean and I'll never go back. It really does block nearly all of the heat. Nice job.