Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2024

So his car was damaged from the start?

Anyway, clearly the car was not damaged by hitting the zone.

He seems pretty serious about that…

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    So he will only get three championships?
    Itís possible if Lando could steal it this year and then he moves to Mercedes and then never win another one again!

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Max: "Can I have more open diff high-speed?"
    This I find very interesting. Is he asking permission? Do they send that signal to the car from the pit wall (unlikely, I figure this is still not legal)? As a driver I'd think if he wants to change a diff setting he'll just do it, and the change should instantly show up on the engineers' screens in the pits.

What does open diff high-speed even mean?

I'm assuming it's some kind of wing adjustment? Less down force and higher top speed or vice versa? If it's a wing adjustment, then they'll have to do that during a pitstop?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    This I find very interesting. Is he asking permission?

i think so. i believe that for reasons related to unwanted pushing of buttons, drivers can only play with a narrower band of settings than are available from the menu. so, if they want to access a different preset, they need to be coached from the wall.

also, the diff settings have a big effect on management of the rear tires, so, maybe if he deviates from the pre race plan, he needs to check with the strategists.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; May 8th, 2024 at 10:20 AM.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    i think so. i believe that for reasons related to unwanted pushing of buttons, drivers can only play with a narrower band of settings than are available from the menu. so, if they want to access a different preset, they need to be coached from the wall.
    Too bad he doesn't drive for Penske.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    What does open diff high-speed even mean?
    He wants to lessen the locking of the differential (or "open" it up). Generally more lock = more understeer, less lock = more oversteer. A diff will have different amounts of locking on acceleration and deceleration, and a certain amount of preload (which could loosely be defined as "mid" corner). I'm speculating here but since this quote by Max doesn't specify entry or exit, he may be talking about the preload, and it may change with speed which would be fascinating. I'm sure it's possible.

On this wheel you can see the Entry and Mid adjustment wheels at the top of the wheel.

Oh, yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Looking at that wheel, looks like drivers could make those adjustments on the fly while driving without taking their hands off the wheel!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    imma take advantage of the driver talking...

Bryan, i know f1 teams are yuge and it makes sense to have the driver's engineer be the only radio point of contact. but I'm sure that it also means that the engineer, lambiase in this case, keeps with him a couple of cheat sheets to help him hasten his responses to the driver.

so, I'm wondering, what does a driver engineer do during a race in a series with fewer shop hands?
    acket.

The engineer is the main point of contact for anything and everything. Car issues, strategy, setup feedback, calling the green, liaising between driver and series if a message needs to be relayed, and sometimes general encouragement or advice.

Some engineers want to know anytime I make a change, whether in practice or race. "Brake bias rear 2 clicks." They'll put that in their session notes. Others are more in the "just drive the car, it's yours" camp.

Everyone's on the radio, but most just listen. Keeps everyone on the same page with everything that's going on.

Also if there's a long safety car we can get bored and talk about whatever on the radio.