Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help installing PySAL on win10...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    That much, I understood.

The problem now is getting OSGeo4W to store its toys in QGis' chest so they both can play with them.
    acket.

Administrator
    Yeah - so I think that QGIS will have a batch file to run OSGeo4W in its installation directory. In "File Explorer" (or whatever Windows calls its "show me the filesystem" tool these days), go to C:\Archivos de Programa\QGIS 3.28.4\. When I go there, I see the directories "apps", "bin", "doc", "etc", "lib", "share", "var", and then two files, "OSGeo4W.bat" and "OSGeo4W.ico". If you double click on the .bat one, it should open up a command shell and the prompt should be "C:\Archivos de Programa\QGIS 3.28.4". (might be missing the trailing slash) At that point, run "pip install pysal" and it *should* install to the "site-packages" directory that QGIS is looking for.

It would not surprise me if you accidentally installed a separate OSGeo4W, as that kinda thing tends to happen when following a bunch of random articles on the internet that were written anywhere from 2 to 10 years ago. I do it constantly, and then you get yourself in a state that no article describes and have no idea how to get out of it. I'm *hoping* this will work, and then we can work on cleaning up the dodgy OSGeo4W. The fact that its directory is off your root C:\ directory makes me think that some bit of advice somewhere was less helpful than the author meant it to be.

Administrator
    Otherwise, if that doesn't work, I think I'd recommend installing python3 from python's own website, then trying the "pip install pysal" thing again to see if it'll just install to a global packages directory and then you can just wipe your hands of all of it.

I just wanted to pop in and say that while I can offer no actual help (& certainly not on the the scale that you're getting), I know and feel your pain, Mario. Just reading this thread made my anxiety kick into overdrive - if I could add up all the hours I've spent troubleshooting broken things in QGIS... I don't know what I'd do, but it equals a truly huge amount of time.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    Interpreted languages and versioning has been a massive pain point for at least the past 25 years. It's part of the reason I like go, you just compile the whole thing into a single binary and ship that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It would not surprise me if you accidentally installed a separate OSGeo4W, as that kinda thing tends to happen when following a bunch of random articles on the internet that were written anywhere from 2 to 10 years ago.
    My intuition tells me this all started when I took an online course and us students all had different versions of QGIS, so the instructors went for the lowest common denominator when we had to install packages for the course.
    acket.

This ought to do it...

right?
    acket.

So I followed the instructions to install the PySAL tarball from the command prompt, and this happened:

So I then made sure that that location was added to where QGIS looks for plugins.

Nothing. Happened.
    acket.

I repeated the tarball install but from the OSGeo4W prompt.

:cry:
    acket.

What do I need to do, FFS!
    acket.