Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    The Snap-On angering Daytona jack is 104 lbs, the one I bought is 71.7 lbs, which is more than double the 31 lbs of my dying 1.5 ton aluminum jack, but only 17 lbs more than the 3 ton aluminum jack.
    My 2-ton aluminum jack is 49 lbs so yeah, 71.7 pounds is a lot to me.

Makin' progress -

You might be like, "How come you bolted a 4x4 to the rafters and then hung the reel from that?"

I would tell you that my garage was probably assembled by children using Fisher-Price tools, and although it's been standing for 60 years I don't have a great deal of faith in the quality of materials or design. The pair of 2x12s (!!!) that make up the rafters are super iffy, and the idea of putting 5/16" lag bolts into the 2" side made me nervous. A trio of beefy hex bolts through the 12" side gives superior engagement and won't compromise what little structure there already is. Plus, it gave me an extra 3" or so of height so I don't bash my head on the thing. I need to secure the lead-in hose and make some sort of hanger for the outlet, but it's in a good position and, with no air in it, seems to work quite well. I now have enough hose to air up tires pretty much anywhere in the driveway.

Installing the reel this way - direct-connected to the air lines without a quick-disconnect should improve (or, rather, not reduce) air flow, which is always desirable. However, I realized after I installed it that instead of using a 3/4" union the smart thing to do would have been to put in a shut-off valve instead - that way the reel can be disconnected without depressurizing the whole system and give an easy way to depressurize the hose... some reviews suggest it's difficult to retract while pressurized. Also, doing it this way saved me a $25 outlet - so I am going to mount that at the back of the garage and make accommodations for a second filter & regulator (& dryer?) so that - maybe some day - I have an easy place to connect up a HVLP paint gun. I really just need to buy some shitty car I don't care about and try and paint it. Just to see what happens.

Rain appears to be off for the weekend, so I should be able to wrap this up! The back wall is going to be a real PITA - three dimensions worth of bends with some pretty tight lengths. Good news is that placing that outlet at the back means it's only three dimensions and about 15' of hose instead of four dimensions and 50', so this is all win.
    Last edited by thesameguy; March 8th, 2017 at 09:27 AM.

I didn't know where to put this. Today, I helped a buddy install aftermarket headlights on his GTI. He's a scientist, a farmer and a really nice guy!

IMG_0054.jpg

LoL what?! The entire front end has to come off for new headlights??

Yes. There is one screw that you have to remove the bumper to get at it.

In my car, you have to remove the battery just to change the left-front headlight bulb.

Same with my Saabaru... which happens once every 6 months or so. I can't wait to get LED headlights that don't need replacing.

Cam, are you looking for new tools, or are you going to look around for used ones? I imagine filling a woodshop full of tools would cost a bit of coin up front.

I've been stalking the tools section on Craigslist. Big items will be difficult to find used. Some items I will buy new. Yes, we are looking at a large investment to build a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I've been stalking the tools section on Craigslist. Big items will be difficult to find used. Some items I will buy new. Yes, we are looking at a large investment to build a shop.
    Look for estate sales, too.
    Whoomah!

I wonder if any underfunded schools will be clearing out their wood shops?