Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: GT86

Just got a check engine light yesterday. Checked it with Torque, it was P0420, which is bad reading from the rear O2. So bad cat or sensor.

I cleared the code with torque app, and drove to lunch without problems. But when I started it back up and drove back to work, I noticed a low/bouncing idle, and a lot of hesitation in the first part of the throttle movement. Only drove it once since the clear, so we'll see after work if it comes back to life more normally.

IME, 0420 is virtually always, truly the cat, but it's rarely, occasionally a wiring or MAF/MAP/O2/O2 sensor issue. Seems like no matter what it should be covered by the Federal 8yr/80k warranty, so you should be fine!

Yeah, not worried about the code, just the odd behavior since clearing it. I wonder if Toque completely reset the learning the ECU does.

Maybe it was just the one I heard, but I don't think these things are done any favors by loud exhausts.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Yeah, not worried about the code, just the odd behavior since clearing it. I wonder if Toque completely reset the learning the ECU does.
    Not sure about all the learning, but IME a reset does undo some of it. I was just remarking on that last night as I had to clear the CEL from the Santa Fe and it drives demonstrably different for the first 10-20 miles after doing that. I don't understand why the logic has to be "start over" rather than "start from last known good." I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.

That said, low/bouncing idle and hesitation at tip in is consistent with a mixture problem, or more specifically a mixture problem reported by the O2 sensor. Given the P0420, You might genuinely have an issue.

I've had a bad o2 sensor act exactly like that.

I've also had a bad cat act exactly like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Maybe it was just the one I heard, but I don't think these things are done any favors by loud exhausts.
    They are pretty blatty...kind of a generic 4-cyl sound, thanks to the equal-length headers.

Adding an intake improves things:
    Whoomah!

Needs more turbo.

My $0.02.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Most everyone who doesn't autocross puts unequal headers on for the Subaru rumble. I'd wager the one Keith heard has UELs.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Wait, so he changed the headers specifically to get that sound?
    Get that weak shit off my track