Page 84 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla!!!1 (Was: Tesla Sales banned in NJ.)

https://youtu.be/b8U2M9IddeQ?si=dMXIQChEg4r1JPN0 Several examples of why we call them Tesluns

TH is great when I have the chance to watch. I would normally skip a long format Cybertruck video but these guys are very entertaining without being ridiculous, and they were driving through my neck of the woods on this one (catch the subtle but brutal dig at my hometown ). They would have driven by about 2 miles from my house at one point.

Not much of a review of it as a truck, as you say Servo. I was left wondering why we need the future of automobiles to be heavier, wider, taller, and supercar speed, all with our painfully easy driver licensing requirements.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    TH is great when I have the chance to watch. I would normally skip a long format Cybertruck video but these guys are very entertaining without being ridiculous, and they were driving through my neck of the woods on this one (catch the subtle but brutal dig at my hometown ). They would have driven by about 2 miles from my house at one point.

Not much of a review of it as a truck, as you say Servo. I was left wondering why we need the future of automobiles to be heavier, wider, taller, and supercar speed, all with our painfully easy driver licensing requirements.
    Well, I go by what tech youtuber MKBHD thinks (and I tend to agree) that Cybertruck's target market is Lamborghini owners

As for the last sentence, yeah, at least in the U.S. we really are backwards. Things need to be smaller, lighter, more efficient and then a lot of other benefits come along with that

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know they said others have done it, but I do think it's notable that nothing about that review (other than showing that the rear is "roomy") had much to do with it being a pickup truck.
    To be fair, probably 75-90% of them won't be used as a pickup truck anyway.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Top selling 4 wheel things in America are trucks. Do we really all need trucks? I kinda doubt most truck owners are all really farmers or construction workers or whoever else that may really need trucks.

Americans like HP and speed and to sit high up above other folks... So cybertruck might fulfill such 'need'?

From a personal perspective, my rides have grown bigger over the years. From Civic, S2000 to SUVs...

My reasons are primarily for family's safety though. Higher and heavier is safer... when colliding with something else that's lower and smaller and lighter...

Anyway, whatever the reasons why Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche began to build SUVs, we might as well have those type of cars as EVs so that they'll pollute less.

I think under normal cirsumstances cybertruck should be a hit, but considering how Elon has damaged his reputation with his 'normal' and bluer customer base and the reder trucker loving crowd may not buy into the ideas of EVs... it'll be hard to predict how successful cybertruck will be. I suppose Elon could just add a range extender on the truck bed so that it'll be able to tow longer distances when necessary?

The fact that it cannot tow things very far and can't do what a truck is supposed to do, I do have concerns about its future.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 2nd, 2024 at 01:38 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    My reasons are primarily for family's safety though. Higher and heavier is safer... when colliding with something else that's lower and smaller and lighter...
    That depends on a lot of factors though.

When I drive small sports cars my thought process was the best way to survive an accident is not to get in one to begin with. THEORETICALLY easier in a small lightweight, nimble vehicle than a large heavy one, but again it all is up to circumstances (i.e. if I'm parked or at a stoplight there's not much I can do)

I won't post the early 2000's Mini Cooper vs F-150 crash test photo yet again as it's pretty outdated nowadays but still brings up a point.

There are other things you can't control. Such as whether a drunk asshole in a huge car decides to run a red light.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I was left wondering why we need the future of automobiles to be heavier, wider, taller, and supercar speed, all with our painfully easy driver licensing requirements.
    Preach. We're making cars harder to drive, to the point where we need driver aids to handle it (not going to lie, without the 360 camera I'd be thoroughly irritated with the XC90) but we seem to make it incredibly easy to both get and keep a license. I haven't been tested in maybe two decades?

Also, last time I went through Fresno on the way to Murphys it was quite nice.

Administrator
    Y'all got me to click on Billi's post. The Cybertruck is heavy and tall, but it's got basically zero crumple zones. Not only will you not survive the crash with another vehicle, you'll be salsa in the cockpit while also killing everyone else around you.

I think this already got mentioned in this thread, but there's been at least one crash with a Cybertruck. Corolla was at fault and hit it head on. The only injury was in the Cybertruck. Corolla looked mangled but that's because the car's body took the brunt of the hit, the Cybertruck just transmitted it all into the driver.

Also...

I think under normal cirsumstances cybertruck should be a hit
    Ahh, yes. A $100K truck with < 300 mile range that takes hours to charge and looks like a child's drawing should be a hit. I feel like this sentence is more an insight into what you consider "normal cirsumstances[sic]" than it is the Cybertruck.

I weighed my new Jeep at a recycling center recently and when empty with me in it, it showed 5700 lbs!!!

Even the Honda Clarity EV, which was a sedan, I leased a while back weighed 4000 lbs!

Even my little s2000 is nearly 3000 lbs!

The little Fiat 500 can weigh about 2500 lbs!

With modern day safety features, cars are all on the heavy side!

Of course ideally we donít want any actual crashes, but given this trend, not really set by Musk, I think car sizes and weights are likely to keep going upÖ