Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Just realized my setting had somehow been set to like midrange, with the scenery options pretty low. No idea how, as it was setup early on at Ultra. Anyway, it's even better than I had been playing it

Did notice a pretty big dip in frames down to 30-40fps with some real stuttering during loading of scenery. But once it loads it's steady. That' actually at Ultra "plus" as I put it. A couple option on Ultra are still not fully maxed. I just was experimenting though. I think it's Shadow res and some kind of filtering or super sampling.

Other than choppiness the first time I drop into the sim after a fresh start, it's been really solid for me. That said, I'm at the "high" preset, I haven't messed with it at all.

Junior Potato
    I keep getting crashing in some scenarios, which seems to be repeatable:

Two nights ago it crashed multiple times while loading a flight from LAX.

Tonight it crashed again when trying to load Cascavel airport. I only tried it once because I CBF'd going through the pain of loading the game again and again.

Both of those airfields are part of the roster of handmade premium airfields. Coincidence maybe...?

Tomorrow I will try a random different premium airfield, and I will also try flying to one of those troublesome spots.

So far I've only had two crashes, once while "acquiring licenses", and once while flying over Hollywood. I actually haven't done much with LAX as it always feels weird flying a little Cessna in and out of there as opposed to KSMO.

While a lot of the ground objects don't look so hot when you get too close, some of the ones that I'm assuming they modeled by hand actually look pretty good.

(Sorry for the lighting, but it was almost sunset).

Junior Potato
    I tried a different method of trying to load LAX. You can set a manual cache of data that doesn't delete in the rolling cache - for example a regularly visited area like your hometown.

I tested it with my area and it seems to load slightly faster but I can't confirm without getting out the stopwatch.

I then made a cache that includes the area around LAX, about 400MB worth. It loaded to the runway just fine!

But I'm not here to play the game for ages so I hit pause from the tarmac... and that's when it crashed!

Later when I have more time I will try the method I mentioned above; pick a nearby region and fly to LAX.

Junior Potato
    I had a real neat flight earlier this evening - I set up a flight from Heathrow to Goodwood via Dunsfold. While there I taxied a lap of the Top Gear Test Track in my Cessna (the markings for the Crossover and Hammerhead are on the taxiways!) then took off and checked it out from the air.

There's something I want you all to do at Dunsfold: you know in the background there's always this 747 parked on a taxiway looking all spectacular at the rear of the shot? Well it's not there in FS2020. It has been replaced with something else...

Go check it out.

Hah, nice. Would make a lovely museum.

I'm not sure I see what you're talking about.

Maybe I'm too distracted by the Wind Turbine a the end of 25 lol

edit: I see it now, from overhead
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; August 23rd, 2020 at 01:22 PM.

Junior Potato
    I set up a flight from Brussels to Heathrow. I flew for 40 minutes.

On final approach, 4nm from landing, the game crashed.

I'm getting pretty god damn sick of this.