Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't be silent on this topic any more

I can't be silent on this topic any more

For a long time I've avoided talking about this. I've simply been too embarrassed to speak of it. Up until now, I've just accepted this as something I cannot change, even though I know it's not right. But now I see that more people are coming forward and speaking out. It's even making it into the news now, so I feel more empowered to have a frank and open discussion about this.

I am of course talking about abandoning or supplementing the use of toilet paper in favor of more technologically advanced methods of self-cleansing.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...ll_change.html

I really want an advanced Japanese toilet seat. Toilet paper is a terrible and ineffective product. Why doesn't anybody in this country understand that? I just don't want to face the ridicule that would undoubtedly come from visitors when they see that I have a computerized toilet seat in my bathroom. And, I need to figure out how I can run power down to my toilet.

We had bidets on our toilets in Switzerland--they are sweet. These weren't anything fancy--you pulled a lever on teh side of the toilet, and the bidet wand deployed beneath you, then the water came out.
    Whoomah!

What amazes me is that 99% of the toilet paper is virgin paper. Why not use recycled paper? I mean look at what you're doing with it. Do you really need new, fresh, unadulterated paper for that?

I'd fully welcome the 3 seashell method!!! Bring on future toilets!!!

You may want to notify guests, at least, before they get a clean up squirt. That could be quite a surprise if they're not ready for it.

I don't think any of the functions are automated aside from cleaning every 8hrs and the automatic seat raising and lowering on the really high end model... Just don't go pushing buttons on the remote.

I've used bidets but have never really formed an impression about them, positive or negative. Just kinda a meh experience. But there is no denying the dumb problems associated with toilet paper and anywhere waste can be cut it should so I say go for it.

#californiaproblems: is the extra water use worse than the paper use? Hmm...

Maybe I can balance out the extra water use by installing a half-flush toilet at the same time.
    Whoomah!

Doesn't it take a lot of water to create the paper in the first place?

Yes.
    Whoomah!

Tough to say where the conservation is best done. Not unlike the "buy a new Prius or run an old pickup" discussion. I wish there was a research group that produced somewhat simplified, bias-free facts about consumption to help people make better decisions. Obviously there is no free lunch anywhere, but I'm sure given any two alternatives that produce essentially the same result, one is probably better for the world than the other. It'd be nice to know that stuff.

Is that something Consumer Reports should attempt? Is that close to their mission statement?

Also: have a bidet'd toilet with toilet paper next to it for the people who aren't comfortable using it.
    Get that weak shit off my track