Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon's car farm

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Bad driving is why i'm not usually at the top of the field in car racing videogames. More fun going sideways.

Vids like these make me want to get one of my Skylines on a track. But the manual one is the tidy one (that i've just got back from the panel beaters after wifey dropped her motorbike on the door ).

NiceRS.jpg

DAMNIT!!!

You have done the right thing for God and Country. Carpe Skyline, man.

Is it just a good photo, or is that Legacy very immaculate?

It is very immaculate.

shiny!

Dayum, good find then. Dad recently bought a 2004 (?) Ford Escape for my step mum, and it almost looks like it has only been off the showroom floor for a year, the red is still red, plastic hasn't faded and so on.
    Some people really do look after their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    It is very immaculate.
    Grats bro.

NiceRS2.jpg
    Made it more shiny.

Now in typical timing, it is now raining.

Oh well ...

Not a lot to update on .... raced lots. I will put up some in car youtube links later

The Altezza V8 gave me some grief a few months back. I'd been running it at a racetrack (such fun, such noises), and about 10km after I left the track on my way home, the temp gauge suddenly spiked.

I cranked up the heater, and wound the windows down (hot day), the temps dropped right back off again. Kept the heater running the whole way home (160km), as whenever I turned the heater down, the temps went back up again.

Got back home okay, didn't appear to have pushed any water out (the overflow tank is in a prick of a position, and is opaque with age).

Add in the variable that the temp gauge in this car is aftermarket, and always reads really high, and that during my last run at the track it fell out of the casing and was swinging from the wires, I'm in the situation where I don't know if the bloody thing is actually hot, or the gauge has gone out to lunch. Mechanic checked it for BHG, negative. Couldn't get it to get hot (but he's famously shit at actually doing sufficient checking on my cars when they are being weird, he figures if the car is okay for five minutes, it is always okay). So I gave the car to an auto sparky friend, who is a pro with Toyota engine conversions (he did the wiring job on my 20 valve conversion Corolla donkey's years ago), for him to get the factory temp gauge working, and also install an alarm.

Fast forward two months (yep, he didn't hurry the job), I get the car back with a working factory temperature gauge,and a working outside thermometer. This involved running a 3SGE ECU (normal engine for this car) solely between the temp output from the engine, and the gauge cluster, and a bunch of extra work to stop the signal going back the other way. For the meantime, he left the aftermarket gauge in, and advised me that it is at all times reading about 20c hotter than is actually happening at the engine.

I take it for a drive, temps are all okay on the flat, get to a big long highway uphill, temps spike on both gauges. Fuck, okay, so the overheat is real.

Get a new Toyota thermostat, and from a friend an aftermarket alloy radiator.

Replace thermostat. Don't replace radiator, as the radiator in the car is from a 2J Altezza, and the aftermarket one is from a 3SGE Altezza, so the radiator in the car is bigger than the aftermarket one anyway.

Been driving the car around a couple of weeks now, and the temps are all behaving ...

All that fear and panic, all for a ****ing dodgy thermostat that wasn't opening right (oh, and driving home with the heater on caused me a massive dose of heat stroke, so I spent all that night throwing up).

Bonus, the car now has all factory features other than traction control running . Which means also, that I can take out the aftermarket temp gauge, and the car will be 100% stock looking with a stealthy V8 install