Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 25-year rule

25-year rule

The first R32 GTR was legally imported under the "25-year rule" this week. Separately, a Lancia Delta Integrale also came into the US.

Article at MotoIQ on the 25-year rule: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Old-Rule.aspx

California's "Direct Import" regs: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_15.htm
    Whoomah!

I AM SO EXCITED. Weird that 1989 is, apparently, the magic year for desirable cars to import.

But, uh, what other west coasters wanna go in on a container full of foreign automotive awesomeness?

25 years old means that I can apply for historical plates for my 1988 IROC (technically last year). Perhaps that is the motivation that I require to that thing back on the road.

Nice article about what is now available

Myself, I've still got a few years to wait for my Cossie.

Is it sad or weird I think I'd rather have a Pao than an R32?

I'm a little sad that I always believed by the time this time rolled around I'd have had plans to bring over a mess of late-model Saab 5-doors and Alfa 75 Turbos. I don't, and I can't rightly say they're in the works, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    California's "Direct Import" regs: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_15.htm
    Man, I was hoping there was something new there, but it's every bit as draconian as it's ever been. The only glimmer of hope is:

Contact ARB at (800) 242-4450 or e-mail at helpline@arb.ca.gov, if the vehicle is a 1978 or newer year model motorcycle that does not comply with U.S. emission requirements
    The implication is that it's possible to still import it. Otherwise, they'd say "Go fuck yourself if the vehicle doesn't comply," right? Right?

Hope you enjoyed the wait.
    I think we got them in 1990.

Junior Potato
    He got a nice original looking one as well.

From which country did it come?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    So any estimate on how much it would cost to import an R32/buy one? (to the U.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Man, I was hoping there was something new there, but it's every bit as draconian as it's ever been.
    Start a Kickstarter campaign to pay for the legal fees to lobby for changing the regs?