Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty/Spicy Snacks aka something for TSG to drool over.

I guess this is the product line:

The purple ones - Fuego - taste like Top Ramen powder and are wretched. It's not the flavor (though it's not great) so much as the salt assault, which is unbearable.

The black ones - Nitro - taste more or less like you'd expect them to. Habanero isn't a good flavor, and fake lime isn't a good flavor, but they aren't the craptastropiece the purple ones are.

I haven't tried the others, but if we know Guac, Nitro, and Fuego aren't worth it, then I'm guessing none of them are.

When I want rolled corn snack, it's gonna be Dinamita.

My Taki image search led me to:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/t...ta-review.html

Which is a page full of lies. The Chile Limon Dinamita is infinitely better than the Fuego Takis - there is a similarity, surely, but the Doritos product isn't disgustingly salty, it's good. I agree that the Takis may have a superior texture, but once it's buried under that horrible flavor it doesn't really matter anymore. I can't see how seven people of rational mind upvoted those Takis flavors, so I think their taste testers are damaged in the cabeza.

So Lays has another customer-submitted taste contest thing going on. I've been totally unsuccessful in finding any of them until tonight, when I found cappuccino-flavored regular Lays. They are pretty good. They taste vaguely like a cappuccino meringue thing a local bakery makes, but are a lot easier to eat. Coffee flavored potato chips don't make any intellectual sense, but the actual product is remarkably tasty.There are also mango salsa, bacon mac & cheese, and wasabi ginger flavors (ostensibly). I think we all know which one I'd like to find.

the Mango Salsa ones while good are way too fruity tasting imo.

Mac & Cheese would benefit from being ridged/ruffles style and are pretty good.

Wasabi Ginger are probably the best imo though need a bit more wasabi flavor instead of just the heat from it.

i havent found the Cappuccino/coffee flavored ones yet but the cute gas station girl said that she thought they were nasty.

Picked up an order of the Doritos nacho triangles from 7-11(4/$1.99). They are fucking exquisite. Just imagine a Dorito filled with warm nacho cheese.

I'm well into the Ostrim and Tanka strips/jerky.

Tried a bag of the mango salsa Lays yesterday. They were pretty good.

I have now tried the entire new Lays test taste, and it's a miserable failure. The mango ones are too fruity, the mac & cheese ones taste too much like spam, the ginger/wasabi ones are way too much ginger and not nearly enough wasabi, and the cappuccino ones are... passable. I am highly disappointed, because at least three of these should have made for an awesome chip, and the best one is the one you probably don't actually want, and it's just ok. This is clearly not a case of bad ideas but rather poor execution. Lays should be ashamed.

Doritos Ranch Dipped Hot Wings are pretty damned good.

I have seen Bacon Pringles but haven't taken the plunge yet.

I picked these up yesterday
    Spoiler:

The burn is slow and real.

Highly recommended

Edit: Aaaand I just realized perhaps these aren't sold in all 50 states. Sorry for the tease.
    Last edited by GreatScawt; September 30th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    Doritos Ranch Dipped Hot Wings are pretty damned good.

I have seen Bacon Pringles but haven't taken the plunge yet.
    Both sound damn tasty. Want.