Page 137 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1420

Thread: What are you listening to?

Administrator
    Went to see Cake at the Greek here in LA. I honestly wasn't expecting a lot other than just sorta easy music to listen to, but they put on a great show. Sounded great, nice and chill under the stars in Griffith Park. Hard to imagine a more enjoyable time.

They supposedly had no setlist, and it seemed like they were legit negotiating what songs they wanted to play at times. The Distance and I Will Survive were givens at their spots (end of first real set, end of encore), but otherwise was a good set of their songs. Was sad that I didn't hear two of my favorites, Friend is a Four Letter Word and Nugget, but you get what you get, I suppose.

Felt a little sad to think it was the first time at a show at that venue without a mountain lion prowling around in the brush nearby, but again, you get what you get.

I was and still am a big Cake fan. I bet that is a pretty good show.

We went to see The Smashing Pumpkins last year and it was a similar experience. It wasn't over the top and was just a really enjoyable time.

Administrator
    They just started their tour out here, I think they're on maybe their third or fourth date. If they're coming near you, highly recommend it.

*checks*

Fucking Cleveland, again.

We just went up there to watch a podcast. Different venue though.

It seems like we go around agreeing with each other at this forum perhaps more often than anything else, at least if one avoids the Politics thread. At the risk of being a bandwagon jumper yet again, I've loved Cake since "Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle" and "The Distance" were on the radio. My wife and I used to listen to a lot of music while cooking dinner and whatever else before we had kids. A lot of it was (and still is) the typical classic rock stuff, but we both enjoyed Cake's albums. I've always hoped to see them live, but it looks like they're not even coming to our time zone on this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    They supposedly had no setlist, and it seemed like they were legit negotiating what songs they wanted to play at times. The Distance and I Will Survive were givens at their spots (end of first real set, end of encore), but otherwise was a good set of their songs. Was sad that I didn't hear two of my favorites, Friend is a Four Letter Word and Nugget, but you get what you get, I suppose.
    "Nugget" is THE Cake song! If someone said, "Hey, what does this band sound like?", I'd play them that song. Not surprised they don't play it live, however. I've long thought they would have had many more big hits if their songs didn't have so many lyrics that mainstream radio wouldn't play, back when radio still mattered. Don't get me wrong; I love radio, but young people don't listen to it these days. Nor do I, really, except to get traffic reports on days I have to go to the office or if the Rockies are playing when I'm driving home from work.

I played some Cake songs on my mighty six-CD-changer in the car for my daughter one day this winter coming down the mountain after skiing. She is a musician, among other talents, and I thought she was being honest when she said she really liked them. She said they reminded her of the band Rare Americans. From the few snippets of Rare Americans songs I've heard on YouTube, I kind of agree. I have RA on my list of bands to look for the next time I go to a record/CD shop.

Administrator
    If it means anything, they did like a 10-minute sing-a-long of "Satan is my motor", so they didn't seem too worried about if it was radio friendly. He kept telling us "It's cathartic, you're embracing your dark side, now do it louder and with more confidence" as we all sang the line. He also told the short version of being confronted by Rick James over "Meanwhile, Rick James..."

It's funny, when I first heard "The Distance", I hated it. Hated hated hated it. I still don't know why I did, though it's far from my favorite song of theirs. But man, I really hated them when they first came around.

Probably something I should bring up with my therapist.

One cool thing about them and I don't think I mentioned it here - they didn't do much in the way of pedalboards or any sort of effects. All the instruments were basically the one Cake tone and that's it. I'm so used to bands doing all sorts of different sounds, and they were just like "Nope, we're happy with this tone and it'll do." Felt a little like when you go have something by a chef that feels strongly about using just a few ingredients but making them all shine. There's something to be said for both styles, but it struck me watching them play.

Cake hit me right in the mid-teens so I'll own it forever. Ashley and I used to listen to it together when we were dating. We played "World of Two" a lot and apparently didn't listen to the words.

I think we are going to go to the Cleveland show. The venue looks pretty neat, an open-air amphitheater down by the river. Hope it doesn't rain. We'll need to buy tickets soon, though.

Administrator
    That seems to be the vibe they're going for the venues. The Greek here is a big open air amphitheater, down in San Diego it was at the new outdoor concert venue for the San Diego Symphony, and in Chicago it's this new one right on the river. Pretty nice venues.

Well, the river is the Cuyahoga. Which is best known for its propensity to catch fire. So we'll see.

This one just came up and always makes me laugh. Jerry Garcia played pedal steel guitar on this track, I believe. It's about a pot run to Mexico.