Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1420

Thread: What are you listening to?

I'll take Norman Lear to block.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    This was a great way to spend 51 minutes. (Up until 2022 at least).

This was interesting, thanks for sharing.

As someone born in '82 it's a fun watch. From '80-'87 I'm hearing stuff that I know I discovered through my Dad or from being played on the radio at the time. Then around '87-'88 I began to hear stuff I know for a fact I experienced as first impression contemporary listening. Really cool.

ERB delivers again.

Administrator
    This is always a fun song to attempt to play on guitar.

EDIT: Fuckin' Youtube. It's Mastodon.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    This was interesting, thanks for sharing.

As someone born in '82 it's a fun watch. From '80-'87 I'm hearing stuff that I know I discovered through my Dad or from being played on the radio at the time. Then around '87-'88 I began to hear stuff I know for a fact I experienced as first impression contemporary listening. Really cool.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I found it wonderful as I was able to hear some old songs and recognize others that I always knew of, but never knew their names. If you'll remember, information wasn't exactly at our fingertips at the time. There was no Shazam and we were lucky if the DJ on the radio would announce the names of the songs. I always hated when they didn't.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I do not subscribe to Spotify mainly because i think its compression sucks. But I know that it is very popular with The Kids These Days.

So I'm wondering, is there anything resembling a Columbia House Membership in the streaming era or Spotify is the new CHM?
    Last edited by FaultyMario; January 25th, 2024 at 06:43 PM.
    acket.

Administrator
    I know there's Amazon Music and Youtube Music out there. I had the former for a little bit but not in a way where I could really judge the audio quality. I'm with you that Spotify's compression is just awful.

I can say that YouTube Music sounds really good when it comes to songs I've uploaded myself, but I have no idea how it fares when it comes to the subscription.

What's Columbia House Membership? Is that the thing where you could select a certain number of albums each month and they'd send them to you?

How deep down this rabbit hole do you want to go for sound quality? What's your equipment? I'm kind of a sound quality nerd and I'll say that for listening in the car or in the garage, YouTube Music is perfectly fine for me. But if I want to listen at home I'll fire up Tidal. Yeah I have 2 subs, mainly because YT Music gives me ad-free YT. Tidal has a lossless Redbook CD quality tier that is comparably priced to other streaming services out there, or you can step up to the HiFi Plus tier which will play higher-bitrate and bit-depth lossless files whenever they're available. [Some artists release music that's only Redbook CD, though honestly that's still pretty solid when played losslessly]

Note that most streaming music services seem to default to lower quality, more highly compressed settings when you sign up. Go change that for a better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    What's Columbia House Membership? Is that the thing where you could select a certain number of albums each month and they'd send them to you?
    Yup. Tape a penny to their flyer in the Sunday newspaper or a card from just about any magazine and mail it to them with your address. They'd send you about a dozen albums of your choice from their list in the ad for a penny. Then they'd mail you a monthly catalog forever more, from which you were supposed to purchase something like eight or ten more albums at regular price over the next year or two to fulfill your end of the deal.

I was a member. It was a good deal, as long as you didn't keep buying albums at regular price from them. And I'm not saying they overcharged, but it was easier to buy music at any number of local record stores, especially before the internet. The only negative thing I remember is they followed me for a decade or two with the catalogs. Every time I'd move, the very first thing I'd get in my mailbox at my new address was a Columbia House catalog. They didn't give up easily. Clearly, they had spies working in the US Postal Service.