Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Market Stuff

Realistically speaking, I think current rate of inflation is greater than 0.02%, so you're money is shrinking in value.

I can understand the headaches involve with managing a rental property, short of a major natural disaster, I still think it's probably one of the safest investments we can make. Monthly rent/real estate value can only rise over the years and usually less volatile compared to stock market. With stocks, you're counting on people in that company able to continue to do stuffs to grow your stock, but with real estate, unless people stop having kids, population will continue to grow... needing more and more places to live. You can not maintain your house and just let it rot and decades later your land can still be worth a lot of money by the natural progression of things. Limited amount of land vs continual population growth...

Anyway, too bad about your gf's mom. Hope things can turn around for her.

You should think about a couple of CDs. Don't chuck all your monies in them, so you're somewhat liquid, but at least you should be earning more than 0.02% on the part that IS invested.
    Take 50% of your cash, allocate it to various length CDs. You've got 50% in the bank, ready when you need it, and the other is easily converted back to cash after a prepayment penalty, if the case needs it.

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    bumping thread...

I pulled out of that penny stock a long time ago, nothing happened with it...it's still floundering in the same place it was before.

Anyway, a co-worker started telling me about FOREX trading (currency exchange) and I feel like trying to get into it...things move much faster than stocks, so it is more of a day-trading deal but I figured I'd throw a bit at it and see what happens.

There's plenty of easy to use practice sites/apps you can use also, to try various strategies.
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Long-term investing seems like to only legal way; ForEx (and any high churn instruments) guys have good intern3ts and algorithms, everything else will just be a gamble

I'm an artist. I know nothing of business or the stock market.

stocks = you buy a very small share of a very large company and hope to sell at a later date for more money
    the catch is someone has to be willing to pay you that 'more money'
    moral of the story, company's actual performance is not directly related to it's price

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    stocks = you buy a very small share of a very large company and hope to sell at a later date for more money
    the catch is someone has to be willing to pay you that 'more money'
    moral of the story, company's actual performance is not directly related to it's price
    Not directly over a short period of time, but over a long period of time, yes... The catch is being able to identify when it is undervalued for that long period.

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Long-term investing seems like to only legal way; ForEx (and any high churn instruments) guys have good intern3ts and algorithms, everything else will just be a gamble
    I consider all stock trading a gamble....aka, never invest more than you can lose, just like in Vegas
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Yeah, there is no guarantee in the stock market.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    bumping thread...

I pulled out of that penny stock a long time ago, nothing happened with it...it's still floundering in the same place it was before.

Anyway, a co-worker started telling me about FOREX trading (currency exchange) and I feel like trying to get into it...things move much faster than stocks, so it is more of a day-trading deal but I figured I'd throw a bit at it and see what happens.

There's plenty of easy to use practice sites/apps you can use also, to try various strategies.
    I've trading the Forex on and off since 2009. A lot of people consider it gambling, but most don't even understand it. It's only gambling if you have a gambling style mentality, and make your trading decisions based on emotion. It takes a certain personality to do well in it, and lots and lots of practice and patience. You need to be disciplined and find a methodology that is consistent, combined with sound risk management rules, and really own it. You won't learn overnight, it could take months. Many months. Things tend to go bad in a hurry when you start deviating from your own rules and start winging it.

Intelligence and education have little to do with it. You could have a PhD in a slick office sitting in front of six screens versus a college dropout in his underwear lying in bed on his laptop, and neither person has a right to anything in the market. It all comes down to discovering a sound methodology which produces consistent results. There are so many methods, but not every method works for every person. You have to find what works for you.

Just so you know, 95% of people who trade Forex fail to make any money. You're talking to one of them. But that stat doesn't deter people, because everyone thinks they'll be in the 5% who succeed. In actuality you could do everything right and still blow up your account.

I'd recommend visiting forexfactory.com where ideas, techniques and economics are discussed, as well as where news reports are released. It's an advanced and very resourceful site with a great community, (I used to live on there). Also babypips.com to learn the absolute basics about the currency market. Both are wonderful sites, and you should visit them on a regular basis.

Absolutely start with a practice account, and once you're ready to go live, then don't go depositing your life savings. You could lose it in the blink of an eye.

OANDA is one of the more reputable brokers to go with.

Good luck.