Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Yes, I was married. Long story short:
    Ok. Sorry man, wasn't at all caught up on that one.

Don't worry about it, it was over a year ago and I didn't really post much about it. Got an excellent date tonight - living in the LA metro area has its perks.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Swinging back to history instead of fiction as I often do, I'm ready to start "Between Man And Beast: An Unlikley Explorer, The Evolution Debates, And The African Adventure That Took The Victorian World By Storm" by Monte Reel. Was the best bet this morning at the library.
    Finished the gorilla book. Pretty good. Dropped it off at the library today at lunch and came away with another history audiobook, although this one goes a little farther back than the 19th and early 20th century reading I've been doing lately: "Cro-Magnon: How The Ice Age Gave Birth To The First Modern Humans" by Brian Fagan.

I guess I still have fantasies about being a college history professor. Oh well, he goes nothin'...

*puts on headphones and settles down to some boring production work*

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Tried to finish "I Thought My Father Was God", but I couldn't concentrate in this darn heat/humidity.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    "Cro-Magnon: How The Ice Age Gave Birth To The First Modern Humans" by Brian Fagan.
    Turns out the Cro-Magnon CDs won't read in my car. I've burned them all to my HD at work so I'll get through the book that way, but I really like having an audiobook I can listen to in the car also.

On my way home from work yesterday I pulled into the library to return Cro-Magnon and got another audio book by another guy named Fagan...almost.

"Eminent Hipsters" by Donald Fagen. It's only 4 CDs long so I'll probably burn through it pretty fast. The audio book is read by the author, which I always prefer.

He reads as if he's reading, which is okay, and that got me thinking about two other rock and roll cats who read all or part of their own autobiographies:

1. Pete Townshend's "Who I Am". Pete read this emotionally and realistically. It was like having Pete sitting in the car talking about his life. It didn't seem like he was reading at all - just talking/yelling/laughing, which sounded spontaneous and was very fun, even if the subject matter was a little odd at times.

2. Keith Richards' "Life". Now that I think about it, Richards did this one in his own personal style - he read some at the beginning and at the end, and he introduced as his friend Johnny Depp, who read a good bit of the first part of the book, and then they had a third reader, a professional reader/actor guy I'm sure, to do the rest. It's as if he and Johnny had something better to do so they hired a guy to do most of the grunt work. Cool.

While at the library, I also got a book - yes, a real book instead of CDs - "Krakatoa" by Simon Winchester. I don't know if I'll have time to read it at home but it really interests me. Wish I could find it on audio at the libraray.

Edited because I can't spell Donald FagEn.
    Last edited by George; May 15th, 2014 at 08:27 AM.

Just flew through the final book in Elizabeth Moon's most recent Paksenarrion series--good stuff. Gotta re-read it a few more times before it's due back at the Library of Mom.
    Whoomah!

Reading Monuments Men, it is the factual account. The movie is only loosely based on this, Clooney says about 80%, but the movie characters have been changed. I can't wait to see the movie after I'm done with the book, which is taking forever.

Also just read;
    Duma Key - Stephen King
    Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - Ben Fountain
    Cell - Stephen King

Just finished The King in the North: The Life and Times of Oswald of Northumbria. A really well written and researched book on Northern England in the 7th century. - Highly recommended.

Have also been reading the Lovejoy books by Jonathon Gash - Fun little crime/mystery novels revolving around antiques (which I know sounds ridiculous). Recommended, assuming you like amusing mystery books. They were made into a BBC tv series in the late 80s/early 90s starring Ian McShane, which is both half-decent and pretty hilariously dated at the same time.

And finally, I've been reading/editing/making recommendations to a few books my friends are writing/have written. One of them is really very, very good and the other 2 are at this point, okay. Its interesting doing this kind of editing/reading on a kindle rather than paper - My previous technique involved getting kinda nuts with highlighters and red pens in the margins - as it turns out, that comes off as a lot more hostile than electronic highlighting and typed notes. I think the writers appreciate the new technique, apparently they do not feel nearly as "Attacked."
    -Formerly Stabulator

Books I'm not too proud to admit to reading: pretty much anything in the WH40K Black Library.

Just finished "The Killing Ground" by Graham McNeill. He may be Scottish but it sounds like Benedict Cumberbatch is narrating in my head.

I started reading my first Nelson DeMille book, The Panther. Some online reviews said this is one of his most boring books, if that's true, I'm encouraged because 35% of the way in to it I love his writing style. I'm learning about life in Yemen while being fed a steady stream of sarcasm and witty wisecracks. Paul Brenner, the main character of The General's Daughter, is in this book working with the main character of this book, John Corey. I will likely read The General's Daughter soon after this book. I am glad to have another author I like with a bunch of books ready for me to read.

One of my friends suggested Donald Westlake, so I downloaded a sample of Watch Your Back.

Two nonfiction books I have downloaded to my Kindle and are ready to read are The Crimean War by Orlando Figes and Russians by Gregory Feifer.
    Last edited by lostnight; July 4th, 2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: for the fuck of it