Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: The "I'm Feeling Sad" thread

Nobody asked me, but I agree with you that it's a bad idea. She should be with him (if that's where she is). Most humbly submitted from someone who lost a parent to "surprise cancer" somewhat similar to what you've described. My best wishes to you both.

Happy Birthday! Mine is four days before yours.

Administrator
    Oh, hey, happy birthday!

And yeah, she's with him, has been for almost three weeks now. Basically the second the PET scan results came in back on 24th, she booked her plane tickets out there and has been there ever since. I guess we're a little lucky in that there's a daily flight from LAX to Prescott. I know she'll never forgive herself if something were to happen while she's out here, but her parents are insisting and while I've said that I'll have more birthdays but he might not have more father's days, she's still planning to come out here. I'd offered to go out there for my birthday but at the time she said that she really wanted a couple of days back home.

It's really hard to know what to do.

Well, close proximity and wanting to get home or take a break from the situation certainly makes sense. I just hope she gets to spend as much time with him as she can or wants to. My Mom was in South Carolina and I was in Colorado and I wished I had been able to spend more time with her. I flew out a few times, and then, toward the end, she, my father, and her doctor told me to go home. And I did, and then I got a phone call from my Dad a few days later on a Saturday night.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It's really hard to know what to do.
    My brother in Christ, you know what to do!

she really wanted a couple of days back home.
    I'll leave you with some famous words:

Oh, you fellas better change your ways (Oh yeah)
    Them leavin' this town in a matter of days (Oh yeah)
    Girl is good, you better treat 'em true (Oh yeah)
    Seen fellas runnin' around with someone new (Oh yeah)
    acket.

Oh dear. Prognosis?

Administrator
    Not really sure yet, but I doubt good. Another meeting with oncologist on Monday. Radiologist is talking about targeting either the brain or spinal tumors first. He seems to think the spinal ones will react well, but FIL is pretty concerned about the blindness thing and may want to go brain first.

We'll see.

Hope things will go well. It's always good to have a doctor who's hopeful! Recent advances, such as immunotherapy, can maybe do great things. My father-in-law had a pretty severe stage of liver cancer and he's doing well years later thanks to that experimental immunotherapy... it happened before Covid I think and he's still alive and well now and will be visiting us soon!

Nobody can predict exactly how long we live, so just make each moment together count.

Personally, I did kinda feel bad about moving to Seattle just about when my dad got sick. However, life must go on for my own family too. I do visit my parents whenever I can and tried enjoying our time together...

Anyway, whether it's a sick and aging parent or pet or anyone who you dearly love, it's never ever easy to go thru this... so hang in there! Will keep your family in my prayers.

Not really sure yet, but I doubt good. Another meeting with oncologist on Monday. Radiologist is talking about targeting either the brain or spinal tumors first. He seems to think the spinal ones will react well, but FIL is pretty concerned about the blindness thing and may want to go brain first.

We'll see.
    We can only hope for the best possible outcome in this very difficult situation.

My dad spent half of Father's Day in the hospital. He fell off a ladder in the garage and broke his arm. Really shitty thing to happen to him, but at the same time we're all pissed too. What is he doing on a ladder at his age? He's 80 yet still always working on something. I get he's a been a workaholic all his life and it's all he knows, but you have to recognize your age at some point and start pressing the brakes. He has a cast now and will go back to the fracture clinic next week. Hopefully he won't require surgery, (plates/screws etc).

I missed my annual customary Father's Day greeting to everyone on Facebook for the first time ever. I even missed your birthday, Happy Belated!

Administrator
    This is not really on brand, but Michele did come out for my birthday. She flies back out tomorrow. I think it's been good that we did it this way, I can tell that while she's still super worried and anxious, it's recharged both her and our batteries some.

Somehow, the morning after she flew out, her dad ended up in massive pain in his ribs and ended up going to the ER. Blood clots in his lung, which is apparently one of the ways people normally die from lung cancer, so thank goodness it got caught. He spent last night and is spending this night in the hospital, mostly for observation, but if something like this had to happen when she wasn't there, I'm also glad it wasn't something she could have prevented, like him falling when trying to do something that she would have normally helped with. We also had to take our cat to urgent care, but thankfully that's mostly turning out to be okay, she had huge bloody boogers coming out of one of her nostrils but they're chalking it up to the feline herpes we already knew she had and stress, probably from Michele being away. I get to give the cat antibiotics for the next few days, which she'll absolutely love me for.

Michele flies back out tomorrow, but I can't tell you how much it's meant to both of us to have her home.

In the meantime, especially with covid rising out here, she's talking about wanting to take the Volvo between the two places rather than fly. She's encouraging me to think about replacing the RAV4. I am really leaning WRX since I can get a new car with a manual that I actually want, but I really am going to have to work hard to justify that money.