Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2024 Sucks too!

You got a newer car and pocketed some extra money. Man, that really sucked!

Interesting new development in my stolen Acura case.

I just got a letter in the mail from the city about an unpaid parking ticket dated May 9th...the car was reported stolen April 11th. The thief is still using my plate and managed to get ticketed. The craziest part is that it was in front of a house about 1 km away from my house. How fucked up is that? What's even more fucked up is how the officer could put a ticket on a car that's been reported stolen. Even if it's a bylaw officer and not a real cop, you'd think the plate would be flagged and automatically show up in their system as stolen.

So fucking ridiculous.

I called the police non-emergency line and spoke with a nice woman who gave me the badge numbers and emails of the two officers who did the police report back in April. She also said to formally put in a dispute with the city about the ticket, and that it'll 100% be cancelled. I told her we're passing by that house daily now to see if we can get a glimpse of the car. She said to call 911 immediately if we spot it. It's not known if the thief lives there or was just visiting. I emailed the officers and explained the story to them. I'm interested to know if they'll do anything to investigate that address. Either that house or one of the neighboring ones.

Hopefully I hear back soon. Not really interested in the car since it's already been replaced, but more in my valuables, (assuming they're still in the car).

Kinda doubt the car is still in the neighborhood, yet cops couldn't find it...

Whoever wrote the ticket probably won't bother checking if a car is stolen or not? However, it's amazing that after it's in the 'system' and they figured out your address, yet didn't realize it's reported stolen and still managed to track you down and wanted you to pay for it? You guys probably should defund that part of your police! Seriously though, how can this happen when the car is reported stolen? Perhaps the court system isn't tied to the police computer system?

Anyway, my suspicion is that the car is probably in another country somewhere... and the thieves probably sold off the plates so people can evade parking tickets or traffic cameras?

Around here, they just drive with no plates at all, and don't get pulled over.

I don't think I've replied, but I've followed sandy's story. Sad. What a mess.

My neighbor who owns a '69 Firebird and two 1980s BMWs just had his work truck stolen. They took his 3/4-ton 4x4 Dodge Ram with Cummins diesel and a six-speed manual from right in front of his house. This is particularly concerning to me since we now have two cars parked outside. I saw a steering wheel club on a car parked on the street in Denver today and was thinking about getting a couple during the commute this morning. Car theft is much worse in Denver than in our suburb, though.

No visible law enforcement in the city for the last four years really takes its toll on the citizenry. Even the mayor had his car stolen last year.
    Last edited by George; June 17th, 2024 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Around here, they just drive with no plates at all, and don't get pulled over.
    I see a lot of cars with temporary paper tags or even permanent plates inside the (usually tinted) rear glass.

My version of "stolen from the driveway" in my relatively sleepy little townhouse neighborhood:

Last Tuesday, I had an inexpensive (<$30) package delivered from Adorama, a camera store. I got the notification while at home, so I went downstairs to the driveway to look for it. Then to the front door. Then back to the driveway. I couldn't see it anywhere. This had happened before, and it turned out the package had just been left in an odd place, so I checked the app to find the picture of where it was left.

But there was no picture. Instead, there were the words "MET CUSTOMER".

NO YOU DIDN'T!

The time stamp was 5:54 PM, so I checked the camera in the garage that looks into the driveway. It's an imperfect solution, since the garage doors themselves block much of the view, but it's proven useful for seeing when someone arrives or I've left the garage door open. It didn't record anyone around that time going into my driveway, nor did it see a UPS truck arriving. Also, the UPS driver usually knocks on either my garage or front door when dropping off a package, and I didn't hear knocking around that time.

I reported it to UPS and the store, and UPS confirmed that they didn't actually have proof of delivery, since there was no picture nor a signature from whoever the driver "MET". It's a small, unimportant purchase, so I was satisfied with just being refunded or having another sent.

Saturday afternoon, I went out around 5 PM to go to a friend's house for a game night. When I arrived back home at 1 AM, there was a large blue shipping envelope in my driveway. My package had arrived! But who was the deliverer? To the camera history!

I scrolled through the 8 hours of recorded moments, and didn't see a single one with a person walking up my driveway. I have a couple of bright lights above my garage doors that come on every night, so I wonder if the culprit just tossed it there from the shadows so as to not be seen.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Sometimes cameras may just not be reliable? At least I've noticed mine can be unreliable at times... we're using one of our Eufy cameras to monitor our cat litter box and occasionally we can noticed a pee in the litterbox without any recorded footage!

It's usually reliable probably 98% of the time, but sometimes it's just odd that motion detection or their AI algorithm just decided to go to sleep? Or perhaps our cats have figured out how to move stealthily so the camera can't detect them?

However, in your case, something is definitely up with your package deliverer... I'm still baffled why he'd lied about met customer to steal your stuff and then decided to go thru the trouble to give it back and deliver it in the middle of the night anyways? It's one of those unsolved mysteries, but at least you get a happy ending!

Administrator
    I've run into that with USPS a lot, where they'll say something was delivered and it often doesn't show up until days later. I'm almost certain that they've got quotas they have to hit or delivery targets and when they realize they're running behind schedule, they just scan the package as delivered even though it's still on the truck.

USPS sometimes falsely scans packages as being delivered to me at 8-9 PM.

However, for me, the package reliably arrives early the next afternoon. They're still a step up from FedEx for me, since FedEx is more likely to deliver my packages to my neighbors.

Administrator
    Heh, FedEx out here just doesn't bother to show up but claim they did. We've got a doorbell camera and I can't tell you how many times they say they've attempted delivery on something that requires signature and nobody's actually shown up. Or they say that they couldn't get into the complex (we're open air, there's no locking front door or anything). It got so bad that as soon as I saw something was coming FedEx, I'd just immediately route it to my local FedEx/Kinko's and pick it up there.

It was fun when FedEx sent me a survey asking me for my experience with them and I got to tell them that they're so bad I literally don't even give them a chance to screw up anymore.

A lady in HK got out of her Stepwgn and left the engine running while she went to get takeaway. Someone stole it.

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/womans-ca...way-in-jordan/

It's very safe here, but that really wasn't a good idea. I highly doubt that insurance will pay anything.