Page 235 of 236 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2357

Thread: iRacing

And I still can't get my head around the V8 supercars 😔

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobbo NZ View Post
    And I still can't get my head around the V8 supercars ��
    Brake early, be gentle on throttle, use a tonne of kerb. Almost as fast as a GT3 around Bathurst but for very different reasons.

And the steering is weird. Seems like they have a very fast rack, so use less wheel to turn. It can make it harder to catch slides, so the best bet is to not get it loose to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Brake early, be gentle on throttle, use a tonne of kerb. Almost as fast as a GT3 around Bathurst but for very different reasons.

And the steering is weird. Seems like they have a very fast rack, so use less wheel to turn. It can make it harder to catch slides, so the best bet is to not get it loose to begin with!
    I find I get loose without really trying.
    I turn the rear bar down to reduce overseer and it doesn't really help.
    Locking brakes everywhere and then I feel like I'm getting it only for the car to bite me and I swear a bit and quit.
    Even more demoralising is seeing a sub 1000 rating driver destroy what I felt was a good lap time.

Supercars are beasts to tame, for sure. A setup can help. iRacing's sets are not as good as they could be. Supercars require a delicate throttle foot.

I'm certainly not the fastest out there, but you could check out a few of my Supercars streams to glean some techniques.

Better yet, just watch James Chasty's streams.
    Last edited by Cam; June 21st, 2024 at 06:01 AM.

Seen on iRacing’s forums: “Looks like most series are dead these days.” Blerpa isn’t the only one having trouble finding officials.

Did Le Mans Ultimate pull a lot of people?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    You can see for yourself right here:

https://steamdb.info/app/2399420/charts/#max

Right now LMU has just over 200 people online. The highest player count was on launch day, but it tailed off quite a lot. There was a spike on real-life Le Mans weekend a fortnight ago.

Right now iRacing has over 10,000 people online according to the stat counter on the iRacing main menu.

Yes, it is sometimes difficult to find an official race in your favourite series. Base content races almost always have good participation. There are many casual drivers out there that will never buy content. Tracks included with the base subscription have a better chance of going official. A significant percentage of those 10,000 members are oval racers and never touch a road course. Cars that are easier to drive have better participation. IRacing’s Discord bot can provide participation information that you can use to have a better chance at finding an official race. Broadcasted races normally have higher participation. Speaking of which, I gotta go race L49!
    Last edited by Cam; June 22nd, 2024 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Did Le Mans Ultimate pull a lot of people?
    It's the least played sim on Steam.
    rF2, AMS2, Raceroom are simulators that gather about 300-400 average users PER MONTH on Steam, with peaks of 700-800 - measly numbers.
    LMU in May 2024 on Steam? 262 average drivers and a peak of 701 users.
    Granted the new big update for LMU came in the beginning of June, so we will see the data by the end of the month, but it won't be that much more.

AC has an average amount of 10,000+ users per month, with peaks around 18,000+ users (also 90% of these users do not race: they only do drift or touge runs with japanese cars. AC "racing" market is DEAD).
    The three most played sims together cannot even get close to the numbers of unique drivers on iRacing.
    iRacing numbers?
    It has arrived at 265,000 users just last month, IIRC. Even exaggerating and saying half of those users are "smurf" accounts... well, that leaves you with a roughly 130,000+ users.
    Problem is where these users gravitate around (also Road series in iR beat Oval ones by 60+% to almost 40% in numbers).

A lot of new users in iRacing are GAMERS and not SIM RACERS.
    So they just want to do races, they do not practice, do not know tracks (aside from the most common and casual), do not follow real motorsport, do not care for immersion and the "simulative" part of the... well, simulator.
    So what happens? They want the same tracks over and over in schedules and only for the most popular series.
    Popular series are obviously the ones with most participation, in some, like IMSA: Community Manager of IMSA in iRacing had to step down since he catered to ALWAYS popular tracks because participation had become an obsession and the high iRating guys making up the series circle jerk community are against any drop in partecipation numbers as that would mean less splits and less splits means they would happen to race in splits with low iRating guys which could cause accidents.
    Situation got so surreal that Blake, the IMSA CM, was forced to resign from favouring the sect of high iR guys and next IMSA season schedule will be done by iRacing itself as way too many "average" users complained about the management of IMSA schedule directly to iRacing.

I blame iRacing in this: it should have structured it better since the get go (like same kind of discord communities, same form, modules and protocols obligatory for any community) and should have given way less power and freedom to CM and community members in their voting.
    So now we are in this conundrum that less people are buying new tracks... and so less and less new tracks are put into schedules as people won't show up driving or even buying them.

I would even drastically suggest to rise the minimum requirements for the seasonal bonus credits (you get bonus credits if you race 8 weeks out of the 12 of a series during a season), even rise to almost have people race 90% of the weeks to gain the bonus.
    Also there's a poisonous fracture in iRacing structure: the goddamn fixed series.
    Fixed series are "ARCADE" crap that do not belong in a simulator since almost no real motorsport series uses fixed setups, but created by iRacing (and unfortunately slowly creeping into other sims recently) as people whine that expert drivers do create their own setups to be faster or even worse they buy setups to be faster, so accusing it to be "pay per win".
    I would always love to break in people minds that this is motorsport: often more budget makes the difference, even in spec series.

But since a lot of people whine about "fairness of competition" (*facepalm*) iRacing has always offered fixed series that mirrors open setup series.
    And often those fixed series are more popular than the open setup equivalent. So instead of having IMSA Series in License A Sports car you have IMSA Series (45 minute races) and IMSA Fixed Series (35 minute races).
    So the most popular series are divided in two parts (Indycar is split in 4 series!!! Open, Fixed, Oval and Iracing Series that mimicks real Indycar schedule, not the usual 12 weeks one) and that means less splits available, since manbabies have to have fixed series to feel good about their incapacity of creating a setup or willingness of buying a setup one (mind, iRacing offers a lot of default setups that people can use for cars, without needing to ask friends or buying any).

Fixed obsessed drivers are oblivious at the matter that either with a fixed setup, a default iRacing open one or a paid one... their lack of talent would show up anyway.
    But whining for fixed is a good excuse to believe in an artificially even-out field. Yeah, dream on. A person that puts the time to develop a setup of its own, or buy one and then practice a lot DESERVES ALWAYS to beat the guys that jump in a car and drive out of the pitlane.
    But don't say that to fixed drivers, or at least prepare to hand out some tissues, poor things.

EDIT: so, I would rise up minimum reqs for seasonal bonus credits and also I would put new tracks in schedule for two season in a row and you will get bonus credits - and even championship victory certificates - ONLY if you race at least one race in the new tracks during the schedule.
    You don't? Cry me a fucking river.

Ideally I would eliminate also all the Fixed series: you want to race and do not want to do a setup by yourself or buy it? Well, go to the open series and use one of the default setups freely available to everyone.
    You do lose to faster guys with better setups? Well, you deserve to lose to them.

(Not that a "better", paid or created, setup is always faster. You have to know how to maximize that setup to be quick, anyway).

Numbers? Right now 139 drivers are registered to the Fanatec GT3 Challenge timeslot of 7.15pm Central European Summer Time.
    With three-four timeslots of a single series iRacing makes in half an afternoon the numbers that rFactor 2 makes at whole in a MONTH.
    Just for perspective.
    Last edited by Blerpa; June 22nd, 2024 at 09:42 AM.

I forgot to reply to Cuda about GT3s.
    They feel cumbersome to me. Slow to turn, more or less understeery, lacking character.
    Last two seasons in iRacing I've been driving the HPD old lmp2, the Super Formula Lights and I'm in a Indycar private league with the Dallara IR-18.

In AMS2 I've done mini leagues with Mini Coopers, Ginetta G40 Cup (light cars with not much power but easy to turn on a dime) and now I'm preparing to a brasilian P3 league (nothing to do with the Ligier P3 in iRacing: these are 290-360hp truly nimble barchettas).

So either light small cars, prototypes and open wheelers.
    I must be so used to them that GT cars do not make it for me anymore (my last ACC league was on a KTM GT2. UNDERSTEER BOREDOM. Thankfully it ended 2 months or so ago).