Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Clothes Thread

The Clothes Thread

Since we were talking pants in the car buying thread, I thought why not a thread about clothes?

So yeah, I cannot buy jeans that fit me... anywhere. I recently was shopping for jeans and my size does not exist anymore. Anyone can see that I am a tall, gangly dude that is all arms and legs. I can sometimes wear 34 leg, depending on the brand, but most of the time, 34 leg is too short. I have to try pants on first to see if they fit. I went into a Lucky Brand store a couple of weeks ago. They had exactly one pair of 31x34 in the entire store and no 36 leg at all. I tried them on because the clerk said Luckies run long. They were a stretch fabric and I could pull the waistband out from my waist about two inches. They were too big, even though the leg was OK. I had a couple of Luckies in the past. When I bought them (when I lived in California) you could order up to 40 leg online. Not anymore. The closest size at Old Navy/Gap is 32x34. Levi's has 32x36, but I fear I will be swimming in them. The stores I visited that carry Levi's do not carry 36 leg in the store, so I can't try them on. I found an online tall store that sells jeans, but again, smallest waist in 36 leg was 32. Where do fit/athletic people buy clothes?

Let's talk about tops too! My arms are long compared to my torso. I wear a medium t-shirt. I cannot wear a medium-size, long-sleeve shirt because the arms are way too short. Even large-top sleeves can be too short for my arms. A tall, slender fella can't buy clothes in a store, it seems. It's awesome when I can find a brand that has slim/athletic or tall sizes.

Please add your own anecdotes! I'll write more later, but I'm going to bed now. :yawn:

Administrator
    I am having to fight with every bone in my body not banning this thread for the pun title.

It did take me a few seconds to cotton on.

Can we talk about car buying in here?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

A+.

Have y'all checked at buckle for really long and thin frame jeans?

That's where I usually shop...

Buckle? Huh. Never heard of them before. Thanks for the recommendation.

https://sixstarsociety.com/store If only they made BOXERZ then it would be 4 REAL

When Lori and I lived in Cali, there was a shopping center nearby we would shop at occasionally. We went into a designer store there that had some cool stuff and Euro/slim sizing. We were trying stuff on. The rep was cool could tell I was probably going to spend some dough. "You want a cocktail?" I was not sure I heard him correctly, "Pardon me?" He repeated, "Want a cocktail?" Incredulously, never even conceiving that I could get a cocktail at a clothing store, I said, "You're shitting me." Straight-faced, he replied, "No, we can make you a cocktail." Lori was like, "Sure!" I declined, as I was driving. If I remember correctly, we had a nice time in the store and bought several items. Best shopping experience ever!

In the same mall, at a different time, we walked into a women's clothing store. The rep immediately walked over and said to Lori, "Thanks for coming in, honey, but I know we will not have anything in the store that fits you." Which is sad and funny at the same time. My wife and her sister are both unusually tall ladies and have always had trouble finding clothes that fit. Both of them often make their own clothes.

I just noticed that the Old Navy shorts I am currently wearing are 30 waist. They are a bit snug when I first put them on, but they relax after a little while and fit pretty well. I have four pairs of Gap jeans that are 32x36 (had to order them online,) but I have to wear a belt with three of them. I can slide them off without undoing the fly. The fourth pair are "skinny" fit and the waist is perfect, but the legs are so slim that they cut off my circulation at the knees if I bend my knees past about 90 degrees. If I started cycling regularly, they would become so snug in the thigh, I would not be able to wear them any more.

Lori made many pairs of pants for herself. She made me three pairs of jeans. The first pair did not fit properly. It was her first try. Second try, they fit better in the hip area, but she made them too short. Third pair is pretty good, but still a bit short in the leg. They are close enough that I wear them regularly. She offered to make another pair for me, but has not gotten around to it.