Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2024

Read a few things from Button who is more in the other camp. So it’s a very polarizing subject.

Junior Potato
    Everyone here's got an opinion heavily aligned with who their favourite driver is haven't they?

Administrator
    I mean, neither of them are my favorite driver. I just think if you move over on top of a car next to you and don't give them a car width, *especially* at a not exactly complicated corner entry, ending both your races, you fucked up.

Neither are my least favorite driver. I do think that Verstappen's race craft has improved since I originally thought he was a hotlapper at best in his first season or so, but I also think he's had such a dominant car that he might be the least practiced driver out there at dealing with defending and it showed.

JoeW, lemme see if I can find Button's stuff about that, but in case you have a link handy....

EDIT: Okay, just found Button's comments. I don't think they're necessarily incompatible. He said that Verstappen may have accidentally moved left under braking, especially if he was looking to the right looking at the apex, and that that sort of thing happens. In addition, he said that Lando could have done more to avoid the collision. I still think that a) if that sort of thing happens, then Max should have known to leave more room and b) yeah, Lando could have gone up on to the curbing ruining his corner entry, but he shouldn't have had to.

This reminds me of a lot of the conversations where someone asks for drivers on the road to pay more attention and be safer, and you get a lot of "well, if you're a pedestrian or a cyclist you have to realize that even if you're right, you're going to lose." I think that's a bullshit argument to begin with and that the responsibility should lie with the person driving the big heavy death machine that also legally has to take a test to prove they know how to do that. Similarly, these are supposed to be *the best* drivers in the world. Max should have known better, and you can't expect Lando to just compromise every single pass attempt because he has no idea where Max's car is going to careen next, especially when up to that point the stewards didn't seem to be doing much to try to rein in his antics. Heck, especially with how Palmer showed that Lando went off on a failed divebomb and then gave the spot back pretty graciously (pulled off the racing line and backed out of the throttle early to let Max past on the racing line), but then Max purposely put the power down early to retain his position, knowing it would drive him off track, but then tried to blame Lando for it and showed no signs of giving the spot back. Max wanted to play bumper cars - he fucked around and found out. It's just too bad he ruined someone else's race in the process.

Yeah, Lando could have avoided it. He also shouldn't have had to. In fairness, I probably would be judging less harshly if it hadn't been preceded by the antics of Max who later talked about how frustrated he was with the car's performance. Any time Lando got on the inside, Max would move under braking, enough so that I think part of the reason Lando went off on a pass attempt was because he was aiming for a really early apex expecting Max to do it again. Lando gets on the outside and Max tries to force him onto the kerbs. There's hard racing and there's blocking, and I think Max was doing that, tried to pull some "driving off the track to save position" nonsense, and then the collision. It was the end of a bunch of bad behavior that could have been avoided. Like Palmer points out as well - Norris had a 5 second penalty. Max probably would have won anyway, even if Lando had passed.

Polarizing indeed

Both could have avoided the contact. Don’t listen to Senna. Don’t go for that gap, don’t t try to win, then everyone should be able to safely finish the race… well, unless if your car breaks down.

I think I can understand why neither side think they did anything wrong. Let’s assume they both share fault at exactly 50/50… should similar incident happens next time, how will they react to this game of chicken?

The person who yields 1st next will likely win less championships. I think it’s clear Max won’t yield. I hope Lando won’t either.

Then Russell becomes the new champion!

Wow! What a qualifying session!

I would love to experience that turn into copse at full bore in a F1 car. God damn those things just snap into the corner like a slot car.

Get that weak shit off my track

I’d like to see Tom Cruise as Checo and with the movie ending with Checo winning the Monaco race…

What’s the point of seeing Brad Pit driving for a fictitious team?