Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Max’s car is so indestructible! It’s rare to ever see him not finish a race even after a major incident like that…

Regarding McLaren’s team order, why?

Likes of Senna or Vettel would never obey.

Imagine if Lando end up losing the championship by just that amount of points later…
    If the WDC was closer than it is currently, or was before the race then I'm sure they'd have let Lando win. As it is Lando is currently 76 points behind. It would take a monumental collapse from Red Bull for Max to lose this, and at least 2-3 DNF's or finishes outside the points which isn't likely. However, in the Constructors, which the teams care more about for the prize money, McLaren are only 51 points behind. A few more Perez masterclasses and Verstappen meltdowns and they will overtake them.

If they thought Lando wouldn’t have been a team player they would have pit Piastri first and problem solved. A team like that doesn’t undercut themselves in order to swap drivers.

They knew (99.9%) that Lando would ensure Lewis stayed behind and give Oscar a safe window to pit while giving the place back later.

I just think McLaren screwed up. I know Lando is a long shot, but he is sitting currently at 2nd place! Why give away points to Piastri at much lower position?

Given that Newey and Honda are gone and RB in a political in fighting… their dominance is likely over and McLaren has proven to be fast…

Further this team order pisses Lando off and soured Piastri’a 1st win. They screwed up .

What a crappy way to get your first win

I liked the 2009 German Grand Prix better

Junior Potato
    Yeah winning a race that way would feel a little flat.

In May this year I won a race at Indianapolis in the IndyCar on iRacing when someone bounced off my rear wheel and into the wall due to netcode, and the field took the checkered flag behind the safety car. It was good, I mean I WON an IndyCar race at Indianapolis against a strong field, but it wasn't as good as racing it out to the end.

The paycheque is much bigger in a real life F1 race though. I'll illustrate what that feels like when I finally win my first real life F1 race.

Administrator
    I'm definitely a little torn on this one. It sounds to me like Piastri was basically driving the race his team was asking him to drive, and part of that was having Norris undercut to protect against Lewis with the understanding that if the undercut got him in front of Piastri, he'd give that up. It's even hard to say if Norris was *that* much faster than Piastri at the end because it's clear the team were trying to get them to conserve their tires and it's possible Piastri was doing that more than Norris was because he expected to get the position back. We don't really know that Norris was that much faster at the end because we don't know if Piastri was pushing as hard as he could instead of just managing the race against the other teams. They may have even told Piastri not to push and potentially throw away a team one-two and that they would handle Norris. So I'm not totally convinced that what we saw speed-wise between them at the end of the race there is truly indicative of anything.

Exactly. You can tell Lando was just trying to create as large a gap as possible and burning his tires out so the team wouldn’t ask him to switch. Lando was making that his audition sprint race to the end…but bruh…you only got in front because the team made it happen.

Lando topped the practices and won the pole. That must be indicative of something?

If an undercut can work that well, maybe it shouldn’t be used?

McLaren is currently at a good place to be able to do this BS and still finish 1 and 2. Just imagine if a rival car got in the mix…

Lando is too nice. I’m a bit worried about his prospect of becoming a mult-ichamp!

I'm kinda surprised Lando didn't let Piastri by early when the gap was smaller, then try to convince the team to let them race that way. That's more Sainz level intelligence though. Lando ain't the sharpest marble in the shed.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Administrator
    Yeah, exactly. Let him by early, then do the "I'm faster than him, either let us race or let me past." Hanging around to the end while his team is literally telling him to stop acting like a twit didn't win him any favors.