Page 690 of 693 FirstFirst ... 190590640680688689690691692 ... LastLast
Results 6,891 to 6,900 of 6922

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Taylor Swift is coming to Toronto in November and doing six shows. My daughter (17) is a huge “Swiftie” and has been since she was 8 or so. She mentioned last fall that she wanted to go, and I knew tickets would be pricey, but she had my blessing. I think tickets went on sale in the spring and as expected they sold out fast.

A few weeks ago we went to dinner and I asked her about tickets and she brushed it off saying it was too expensive. I said well how much and she said she was talking to a girl selling them for $500 each. I did a long pause and thought about it and said okay, if you can find a friend whose parents are willing to pay that much then I’ll buy your ticket. She then said she wanted me to take her, and that warmed my heart. So that would be $1,000 for the two of us. She has a job and said she’ll pay for her ticket. I figured it’s worth it. She said she’d contact that girl again.

A couple of days ago I asked her again and she said those tickets were gone. I figured okay prices have probably gone up a bit since but let’s just see how much. I go on StubHub, and I shit you not, the cheapest tickets available are $3,100 each. So $6,200 for two tickets. Has the world lost its fucking mind? I thought $500 was steep, but I was still considering it because figured it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the hottest singer on the planet. But $3,100…no thanks. That’s so insanely out of this world, not even Drake tickets would go for that much on the secondary market.

My daughter is taking it well. She knows how ridiculous the price has gotten and fully understands. I’m a bit sad for her, but there will always be concerts.
    Same thing happened for us last year. My Daughter really wanted to go but she understood that was a crazy price for tickets. So because TSwift was playing in a big outdoor stadium, Heinz Field, we went up to the hill that overlooks the stadium along with about 500 people, lol. Wasn't bad up there at all.

The next night she went with a friends mother and a bunch of girls an went to the park right in front of the stadium and listened to the show from there. She said they had a great time. Not sure if you have that opportunity.

But your story is exactly why people have bought tickets to a show in Europe and flown to the show and spent a few days in that city for the cost of tickets in there own city.

I think they're doing something like that here too but indoor, (it'll be in November). Calling it a "Taylgate" party. I'll mention it to her, she might enjoy that.

Damn. I think $80 is too much to see a band.

Someone was saying another big part of the Taylor Swift concert, in addition to it being a huge artist that they love, is that it's a huge event where women can go and feel totally safe, comfortable and accepted. Doesn't justify spending thousands and thousands of dollars if that's not a low-stakes amount to you, but I do get why so many would consider it such a special event.
    Get that weak shit off my track

No disrespect to Ms. Swift intended, as I understand she actually plays guitar and writes her own songs and isn't just the auto-tuned pop singer of the week, but I couldn't name one Taylor Swift song. I've probably heard some, but I don't know any.

I guess this is what getting old is like.

Eh? What ya say, sonny? You'll have to speak louder!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Same thing happened for us last year. My Daughter really wanted to go but she understood that was a crazy price for tickets. So because TSwift was playing in a big outdoor stadium, Heinz Field, we went up to the hill that overlooks the stadium along with about 500 people, lol. Wasn't bad up there at all.

The next night she went with a friends mother and a bunch of girls an went to the park right in front of the stadium and listened to the show from there. She said they had a great time. Not sure if you have that opportunity.

But your story is exactly why people have bought tickets to a show in Europe and flown to the show and spent a few days in that city for the cost of tickets in there own city.
    My parents adopted daughters got to go for free. The people that sell the merchandise in the trailers outside are largely unpaid, they reach out to schools and churches looking for volunteers to sell the merchandise in exchange for access to the venue. So my Mom and Dad sold sweatshirts in the parking lot while their daughters got to walk around Heinz* filed during the show, both nights.

*Acrisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Someone was saying another big part of the Taylor Swift concert, in addition to it being a huge artist that they love, is that it's a huge event where women can go and feel totally safe, comfortable and accepted. Doesn't justify spending thousands and thousands of dollars if that's not a low-stakes amount to you, but I do get why so many would consider it such a special event.
    We had a similar experience at the Pink show a few years ago. So many mother daughter groups. And grandmas with pink hair. LOL.

Re: expensive tickets. We spent $1000 for the 4 of us to go to Elton John's fairwell tour. I didn't want to pay that much. But it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift will be touring for a while.

I can’t afford those kind of ticket prices for sure! Wife and I spent $40/person for an intimate jazz dinner. John Pizzarelli trio was great! Of course food and drinks are extra, but $40 tickets sounds about right to me!

My daughter can watch all the Taylor swift she wants on YouTube!

I haven't literally slammed a door on a door-to-door salesman in so long I can't remember. Maybe never. I try to be tolerant and just say no, thank you and shut the door in a normal manner on the rare occasions I encounter one at home or at work.

Someone just rang the doorbell at my office. Being the only one here today, I naturally answered it, thinking it was a delivery or something. We don't get many peddlers here, thankfully.

There was a woman wearing a shirt with a big American Express logo on it. I should say I know how this company spends its money and I know we do not have an account with American Express. It was obviously a sales cold call.

"Hi, I'm Veronica with American Express."

Then she pointed to a smart-phone she was holding in her other hand along with a folder or brochures or whatever else she was carrying.

"I'm recording this conversation for quality control and training purposes."

I shook my head and shut the door on her with a satisfying thunk, without having ever uttered a word for her to record. Too bad the door closer thing at the top of the door didn't let me slam it hard enough to rattle people's coffee cups on the floors below and above.

You probably made Veronica cry!

However, it should be good training for her. She’ll learn to brush it off because you had low IL and she’ll just keep at it until she finds somebody with high IL for AE or for her… without you, she would never become top sales person of the year… or quit to do something else! Thanks for training her George, in a way that doesn’t waste anybody’s time!