Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Windows 10

Thanks RWA! I'll check it out when I get home from work this afternoon.

I can always rip those CDs again, but now I'm curious and want to find it. I mean, I saw where the folder was created and I watched each of the four CDs appear in the folder, one by one, as I ripped them. That's the only part of all this that doesn't make sense to me.

Is CDex still a thing? It was really good at ripping CDs to mp3 and handling track names. But it's been about 15 years since I regularly ripped audiobooks. I used to be an endurance runner and listened to several books a year while running, but then I discovered podcasts and that killed my audio book interest instantly.

I had the same experience with old-time radio shows at archive.org. There are more episodes of good radio dramas from the 1940s through the early 1960s than I could probably listen to in the rest of my life. I discovered them after getting bored with AM & FM radio at work and trying to find something else to take my mind off the boring drudgery of the data entry part of my job(s) back in the 2000s decade.

Once I discovered audio books on CD at a library within easy walking distance of my office, they pretty much killed my interest in OTR. I still listen to some "greatest hits" occasionally, but my discovery era is done.

Tons of OTR at archive.org for free: https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

I tend to split my time between history podcasts and audio books. I just finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind and just started Storyteller by Dave Grohl during my commute this morning.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Is CDex still a thing? It was really good at ripping CDs to mp3 and handling track names. But it's been about 15 years since I regularly ripped audiobooks. I used to be an endurance runner and listened to several books a year while running, but then I discovered podcasts and that killed my audio book interest instantly.
    CDex got taken over by somebody and now it's basically just a malware vector, unfortunately. At least the last time I tried to use it, it was riddled with all sorts of garbage and most reputable sites had stopped carrying it.

George, one of the things that Windows also does is it "helpfully" creates virtual directories for things like "Music" and "Pictures" that actually can map to multiple places on the system. Mine used to map to my lone spinning disk drive where I keep all my music. Now that I look, I see it's reset itself to C:\Users\me\Music again, where I have almost nothing stored. I guess I also need to fix that.

Huh, it also made my actual Music folder read-only. Thanks, Windows.

Interesting. But shouldn't searching the C: drive for all or part of the artist's name still turn up the folders and files I ripped?

And I don't know if mentioned this, but I actually ripped three audio books that day. Two are right where they're supposed to be. Only the third and final one seems to have disappeared.

This is hardly a big problem or an unsolvable one, but it's just weird.

Administrator
    It should, though I do find that windows search kinda sucks. Do you only have a C: drive? (I only ask because I think I have C:, D:, E:, F:, G:, H:, and I:, my music is all on F.

I think you can still use versions of cdex. Or else try Aduacity.