Page 2552 of 2554 FirstFirst ... 1552205224522502254225502551255225532554 LastLast
Results 25,511 to 25,520 of 25540

Thread: Politics

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Oh shit it's over. Taylor Swift endorsed Harris officially

Missed the debate because I was at rugby practice. Good news about Taylor Swift though.

So who had:
    Immigrants eating pets
    and
    Post birth abortions

On their "Billi's buddy" list?

A lot of Kamala’s talking points were similar to Biden in the first debate, except he lacked the energy to verbalize it the way he wanted to because of his frailty. No such problem here.

She had Trump on the ropes in the healthcare part of the debate to the point where he was retreating.

Overall Kamala was stronger and Trump didn’t really say anything of substance outside of twatish comments for shock and entertainment value.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    So who had:
    Immigrants eating pets
    and
    Post birth abortions

On their "Billi's buddy" list?
    Immigrants eating pets is a new one. Reminds me of what the far-right is doing in Canada with Indians shitting on beaches. There’s a word for post birth abortion - it’s called murder, which I am certain is illegal in 100% of the country.

He’s a fucking joke.

Administrator
    I'd heard a lot of people saying that all Trump really had to do was control himself and remain composed and he'd do fine.

I think he made it maybe 10 minutes before that was all out the window. One thing that's interesting is I think most of the world is like Leon. People like me who are terminally online and keep an eye on the weirdest fringe parts of the ultra-right already knew about the claims of pet eating and post-birth abortions, that second one they've been repeating for years now. But most of the world isn't like that, and they saw his performance last night and probably are wondering what the fuck is wrong with him. I really think retreating to Truth Social and his echo chamber has just caused him to fall further and further into the fringe because over there, the more bonkers he goes the more they love him.

Also, speaking of the fringe, as much as Billi likes to say he's a liberal he's a pretty reliable source as to what the fringe is claiming. He'll often repeat their claims here as facts (like the recent Tulsi Gabbard thing). I'm guessing partially because the town he's moved to is a lot like where my mother-in-law lives and that sort of fringe Trump supporter is pretty commonplace, so those things become part of normal conversation there. Much like vaccines being deadly or the earth being flat.

And yeah, that thing about Haitians supposedly eating your pets came out a couple of days ago. JD Vance claims that he's gotten reports of this, though the police there say they have zero reports. It feels a little strange that you'd complain to your state senator but not to the cops, but hey, Trump saw people on TV so it must be true. Elon Musk has had a huge part in spreading that racist trope as well. It's a trope that's well over one hundred years old and gets applied to pretty much every non-white immigrant population at some point. Vance seems to be positioning spreading the rumor as returning the couch-fucking favor, only he doesn't get the difference between making fun of a public figure and potentially inciting violence against an entire group of people.

That "we're not racist" mask was never fully on, but it's completely off now.

Junior Potato
    Trump has always shown his cards. And if people thought he'd be able to act 'decently' then they were deluded.

But it won't affect his chances at all. He could say some of the most heinously racist or misogynistic shit about Harris and he will still get the same amount of votes.

Meanwhile, Democrat voters will be sent into a frenzy of condemnation about his decorum and not move the goalposts one bit.

Trump as a New Yorker, do you think he was originally a what?

Musk started out in CA, do you really think he has conservative leanings?

I think it should be clear that for one reason or another, whether pushed or out of their own free will, they both moved from a blue state to another red state.

Also, to me, racism would be about being treated badly simply by the color of your skin. Whether that's during a traffic stop or trying to gain employment, but don't you guys think "everything" is now beginning to look a lot like racism lately as long as it's politically convenient?

Chinese people eating wild animals and buy them from wet markets... if that caused a world wide pandemic, it's not racist to believe that. However, if it's a lab leaked virus... now all of a sudden it becomes racist? Can you really explain why?

These are all political BS IMHO.

Anyway, I think Kamala performed better than I thought during the debate. Trump is just being his usual self... except he really looks older now... and tend to ramble on like old people. On TV, that certainly doesn't look good. He could easily beat Biden on looks, but no anymore...

On a personal level, the debate also didn't quite move the needle for me. I'm still not really more inclined to vote for either. If Kamala wins, of course it'll be continuation of status quo. If Trump wins, I tend to believe he'll actually make the world safer and more peaceful. I think other dictators/terrorists for sure are more afraid of crazy Trump than Kamala/Biden. However, at home, things will likely be more messed up. We'll probably see a lot of angry Kyles shooting up lots of white guys who supports BLM.

White people really need to figure this out amongst themselves.

All I can tell you is that my white MAGA neighbor doesn't not mistreat me in any way... knowing that I'm not white and I'm from LA.

People really need to stop being so angry. Pretty sure it won't be the end of the world if either one is elected. I'm 'okay' with either candidates as president, but I really have no motivation to vote for either. Both kinda suck in their own way.

The weakest Trump part during to debate for me was his defense about getting rid of Obamacare..., but he has no freaking better alternative. Now that's lame. However, both sides are playing the similar game. Just blame the other side for all our problems, but who has the better solution?

I think I just don't trust both candidates. Considering most who's worked closely for Trump typically split up very badly... also considering Kamala's policies could often change depending on whichever way the wind blows... I seriously don't understand why Americans are trying to kill each other over these two...

Kamala should've started every response with "I guess he's not going to answer, because he doesn't have any idea of what to do about (subject.) Well, here is what I intend to do (elaborates.)"

Honestly if we can just get past this ReTrumpican era things will get back to normal. This election will be the last time we have to deal with him. Then we can get back to somewhat respectable humans on both sides who can talk about their platform, policies, plans etc. Like in the old pre Trump days.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Cough-cough.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    An interesting wrinkle with the scenario of Biden stepping down is if the Democrats can prop up a good enough candidate to beat Trump this fall, they won't be subject to term limits in 2028 and would be the incumbent firmly in place to prevent a 2028 MAGA candidate.
    If that is the case, and now that the GOP internal structure has been firmly replaced by MAGAs and, say, that sanity is somewhat restored and reforms like those mentioned by Tom are passed, how do the institutional Republicans get their party back?

I've said elsewhere on this thread, but there are signs that elements in the U.S. electoral system are useless now, so it'll be interesting to see if they can be reformed or if something else comes along and takes its place.
    acket.