Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5

Picked up the Quake 2 remaster a couple days ago. It's pretty cool for a tenner.

Junior Potato
    I played it on PC through Game Pass for a bit. I’d go so far as to say it’s fucking awesome.

Yeah it's great. I really have no interest in modern first-person shooter stuff at all. But I love the older ones...and I also think there's something to be said for visuals that don't actually look like reality at all. The stylized world in Quake 2 looks amazing.

PS5 slim coming this month.
    Slightly less massive and a full 1TB.
    Same price for the disc version in the US, digital is $50 more.
    Roughly the same design, just cheaper looking.

Kind of telling that nobody here bothered to mention the PS5 Pro reveal.

I've been waiting for the PS5 Pro all year while still enjoying my PS4 Pro. I was given a bonus in June and I carved out $600 of it and set it aside specifically to buy myself a PS5 Pro for my birthday this December. I've already purchased 10 PS5 disc games.

The reveal yesterday seems to have unanimously pissed off everyone, myself included. I don't care about the cost. I understand why that's upsetting to some folks but it's just not a factor for me as I've already set aside $600, so kicking in $100 extra is no big deal.

But, selling a Pro console and making it digital only is a huge, stupid oversight by Sony. Pro consoles are, in large part, for completionists and people who enjoy physical media. I know I can by an add-on disc drive but the principle of it is disgusting; it's a PS5 Pro that's given the same treatment as a Sega CD. I can't tell you how repelled I am by that wart of a peripheral just bulging from the side of a Pro console.

So they've pissed off the price-sensitive gamer, and also the collector gamer. Fantastic work, Sony. And that's not even getting into the fact their technical reveal was done with PS4 games and PS5 games that have been out for over a year. Just a huge misstep all around.

I'm legit unsure what to do with my $600 now. I don't need a PS5 Pro and now I don't want one.

And you have it not bad at 699 dollars.
    In Europe is going to be 799.99 (VAT already included) - adding the disc reader (people playing console here still rely a lot on physical disks to sell them used and recoup some money to buy new games) and the stand, since both accessories are NOT included, will rise the price to 950 euro.
    And adding to that the price of Playstation Plus to play online... we are almost on the 1000 euro mark.
    Still 4K (NON native, only upscaled) 60, it cannot even do 4K 120.

That is quite a lot to ask for a console with a meger amount of games, and roughly 80% of them being remastered versions of old ones.
    After more than two years in the market PS5 has a "stellar" amount of 21 exclusive games published. Twentyone.

Not even throwing in the debate what you could do PC-wise not spending much more (let's remember, an upscaled 4k 60 with medium details and a sprinkle of basic ray tracing).
    Last edited by Blerpa; September 11th, 2024 at 05:24 AM.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Not even throwing in the debate what you could do PC-wise not spending much more (let's remember, an upscaled 4k 60 with medium details and a sprinkle of basic ray tracing).
    I'll chime in here

My PC rebuild cost me $2300 a year ago, but if I was more budget minded I could have shaved a few hundred off. It has an RTX 4070 and a top-of-the-tree Ryzen 7. Realistically it could be bought for $1800, even less if you factor in price drops for the GPU after the Supers came out. Plus I've had it for 10 months and been able to enjoy it for that long already.

PS5 Pro here will cost $1200.
    Disc drive $160.
    Vertical stand $50.
    PS Plus $100 (basic) or $200 (premium)
    Total: over $1500.

And it doesn't do native 4K/60 and it doesn't do thicc ray tracing, but it also doesn't do spreadsheets and job applications and stupid meme creations.

Nate, you should sell those game discs and spend your $600 on a new PC or some flight sim peripherals.

I have a gaming PC. I don't see that as a binary choice.

But yeah, spending the $600 on some kind of flight training does sound appealing.

Junior Potato
    Another thing to mention is the PS5 Pro was announced a day after the new iPhone range.

I know it’s not apples-to-apples (ha ha funny), but it’s entering the market right around phone upgrade time for a lot of people and they will be choosing to spend large discretionary sums of money for luxury tech items elsewhere.

On top of this, Nvidia is expected to announce the 5000 series GPUs soon too. A theoretical RTX 5070 could be worth about the same as a PS5 Pro and would absolutely wipe the floor with it (of course not taking into account anything to do with the additional costs of GPU ownership, like a PC to shove it in).

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    PS5 has been out for 5 years? And they want a slightly better one to be $280+ MORE with the same specs?

They should have dropped the original PS5 price by $150 and made the Pro $549 by now due to how old the console is, and really how many exclusives are coming out?