PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Godson
March 9th, 2018, 08:31 PM
The thought process is that significant cardio workouts (long runs, tons of swimming, etc) will hurt weight training simply by wearing out your body too damn much. What was recommended to me by a trainer was, during the weight training period, to either only do relaxed cardio (walking), or to do High Intensity Intervals, like 15 minutes of sprinting/cool-down cycles, so you burn the calories and also promote muscle growth without ruining your joints.

(I do really like running though, so I'd probably end up going back to it anyway.)

Somewhat. If you want to fry calories, swimming and spinning is key. Nothing does more.

Drachen596
March 9th, 2018, 09:07 PM
No, St. Joseph wants to be on Central because "they feel a tie to Chicago". For some damn reason this whole state is obsessed with time zones. For years they couldn't make up their mind until 2006 on whether or not to observe Daylight Savings and now they want to fuck shit up again.

That's fine but the ones who introduced the current bill are all around Indianapolis and not near the state border at all. Plus they're claiming Indiana is somehow losing out because of the 3 hour time difference to the Western Time zone.

Either way there are more important things than that to deal with.

tigeraid
March 10th, 2018, 04:57 AM
Somewhat. If you want to fry calories, swimming and spinning is key. Nothing does more.

Oh I know, that's my whole point. If specifically burning high amounts of calories is your goal, then weight training is never going to cut it. But if you're either wanting to build muscle, or you're wanting to slowly lose a little bit of weight while developing lean muscle, then excessive cardio workouts don't help, and can even potentially hurt, is my understanding.

Godson
March 10th, 2018, 11:45 AM
That's the current idea we have based on what we understand about the human body.

drew
March 10th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I'm going to just use that shit you sprinkle on anything and do no physical activity at all.

That's what the chick with 6-pack abs said in the ad, as she put it on an ice cream cone.

G'day Mate
March 11th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I like my kid, but he sure consumes a lot of time!

Right on cue, 8 hour trip to emergency yesterday. 7.5 hours waiting, then half an hour to be told "nothing's wrong" after they told us to bring him in to be checked out for poo blood (following some minor surgery the other day)

MR2 Fan
March 12th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I live 2 miles away from where I work. I can usually get there in around 10 minutes except this time of year, because of Phillies Spring Training, then everything gets messed up.

These people fly a few hundred miles to get here, fight traffic, nearly get run over walking to a stadium, be bored for 2-3 hours watching a practice game that doesn't count....and that's if it doesn't rain.

Freude am Fahren
March 16th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Working in news is taking it's toll on me.

Maybe it's exacerbated by working in South Florida where shit is (and especially lately has been) crazy, but I basically have lost all hope in humanity.

The best thing that could happen to this world would be a plague of infertility.

mk
March 17th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Banana 4G

MR2 Fan
March 19th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Regarding the Katy Perry kissing controversy....short version if you're unaware, shy 19 year old on American Idol says he's never been kissed before... and in a bid to boost publicity and ratings for a show no one is watching, they basically had him kiss Katy Perry on the cheek and then she kissed him on the lips....he's a super conservative person "waiting for the right person" blah blah bullshit and there's lots of controversy.

One of the things that keep coming up is "if the roles were reversed" and it was a 33 year old popular male singer/actor/whatever and a shy 19 year old girl, it would be criticized much worse....which is true.

The problem I have is that there's always this question "if the roles were reversed", but they aren't. The situation is a woman kissing a man (at least over 18). I don't see why we can't make a distinction that....in general....there's a difference between men and women. It seems there's a certain segment who want equality in so many ways that it prevents people from realizing that a vast majority of women don't act like men and vice versa.

It seems like with the gender identification (which I have no problem with), and other spread of equality (again I have no problem with), there's an overreaction where everything done by a woman has to be put into a spotlight of "what if a man did it?" well it wasn't a man, so can't we just take it at face value?

dodint
March 19th, 2018, 07:49 AM
No, not really. Asking for equality and then carving out gender-based exceptions creates confusion and division.

Celebrating diversity while promoting equality just flatly doesn't work.

George
March 19th, 2018, 10:25 AM
At the "Ford rolls out online shopping" thread (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?1843-Ford-Rolls-out-online-shopping&p=120697#post120697), I saw the remark below. I didn't want to derail that discussion with some unrelated thread-crapping, so I'll bitch and moan in here instead.

(I fixed a minor typo and bolded some text in the quote; hope I didn't change the original poster's intent)

Agreed. I should be able to buy a car online like I buy a pair of shoes or whatever. I purchase online and have it delivered to my door without having to talk to anyone.

Is that what's happening to all the brick and mortar shoe stores? We're down to multiple locations of the same two big-box shoe stores in my area and they both carry the same limited selection of cheap, crappy, rubber-soled, short-lifespan Dockers and Rockports and Clarks and similar craptastic shitkickers that I wouldn't buy at any price.

I want some quality shoes like the ones Jack Reacher kicks doors open with in the books but can't find 'em anymore. Seriously, I've been to several shoe stores in the past month and it's like I've moved to some third-world country or something. I only find shoes for twenty-somethings who don't know how to dress yet, even for "business casual".

I want to try on shoes before I buy them to make sure they fit, are comfortable, and that the leather breaks evenly across the toes. If they don't meet my expectations, I can leave without buying them rather than having to go stand in line at the post office to return them.

And I'd like some that are all black or all brown, instead of having contrasting stitching and/or different sole colors on otherwise conservative/classic designs.

Apparently, I'm asking too much of modern retail.

Kchrpm
March 19th, 2018, 10:49 AM
What you're looking for is now probably considered a specialty store. They often don't have enough demand to pay for the rising real estate costs, and can't compete with online stores who offer the same or similar goods at prices that reflect their lack of a storefront to people who are willing to pay it.

I think Red Wing Boots still has their own stores, and perhaps outdoor and/or military surplus stores would have the Reacher-like footwear that you're looking for.

Kchrpm
March 19th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Related: there's a hat store in downtown Cincinnati that only sells high end name brand hats for hundreds of dollars a piece. I've never seen anyone go in there, or come out, and I only know about the prices because I was told about them by my uncle who went in once, saw the $400+ price tags, and left.

I do not know how they stay open, but I presume it's older gentlemen that have been going there for decades and want an experience like you described.

dodint
March 19th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Ashley and I generally shop at New Balance stores. In WI that meant driving down to the Outlet at the Dells, or here in Pittsburgh we have a local store. But I only do that for running shoes. Everything else I get on Amazon, like the Clarks casual dress shoes I wear to work.

FaultyMario
March 19th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Yeah, like krunch says, I bet specialty products can only compete by foregoing brick and mortar.

MR2 Fan
March 19th, 2018, 11:05 AM
I think a lot of it is also that people have so many things to buy/worry about that they don't do much thinking about quality anymore and just buy what's cheap and looks good.

George
March 19th, 2018, 11:43 AM
I think Red Wing Boots still has their own stores, and perhaps outdoor and/or military surplus stores would have the Reacher-like footwear that you're looking for.

We have a Red Wing store in my neighborhood, but I haven't found anything particularly suitable for my office job that doesn't require a hard-hat or a CDL. I have been in there twice to look around and enjoy the smell of good leather, once before they closed and once after they re-opened a year or two later a couple doors down in the same small strip shopping center. I remember both times I was asked what kind of work I did and felt a little embarrassed, mumbling something about sitting at a desk there in a store that sells shoes to Real Men Who Do Actual Stuff.

I saw some Doc Martens in a store recently (contrasting stitching, I know, but I used to love Docs) that looked great but felt super-flimsy. The soles looked at thick as always but flexed as easily as flip-flops from the dollar store. The tag under the tongue said Made In China. I should have bought some "real" Docs the last time I was on Market Street in San Francisco. There was an actual Doc Martens store there, right next to a Converse store that would made sewn-to-order custom Chuck Taylor sneakers out of a wide variety of colors and patterns. There's nothing like that around here, that I know of.

We have a really good Army-Navy surplus store here that sells everything imaginable but their shoe room is pretty much steel toes, tactical/cop boots, Bates corfams, and camo/hunting stuff. And we have a Cabela's store which had some possibilities on my last visit but the stuff I tried on were labeled in weird European sizes and I didn't find anything I liked that fit me.

Quality low-quarter oxford and similar shoes suitable for the office and weekend casual dress that's a level above sneakers or boots are hard to find in the suburban sprawl full of corporate-owned conformity where I've chosen to reside.

The good news is that all my problems are first-world problems. :)

Cam
March 19th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Like George, I prefer to try clothing and shoes on before I buy them. I think it is a hassle to have to ship them back for a different size. My wife does that all the time, however, and seems fine with it. It is next-to-impossible for me to purchase pants (trousers, for the UK folk) that fit me in a brick and mortar store. "Hey, you got 31 waist, 36 leg pants?" I ask. These days, usually the response is, "No, but you can buy them online." Lori HAS to buy pants online. The last time I walked into a women's clothing store with Lori, the salesperson immediately walked up and said, "Thanks for coming in, but we are not going to have clothes to fit you."

Dicknose
March 19th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Re Katy Perry, I think it is important because the argument is often about power. Yes it’s mostly men in power misusing that power. In this case it was her. She is famous and he is doing almost anything to get a break. It doesn’t matter if the incident was sexual.
I do wonder if this was her choice or a decision by the shows producers.

But either way it was wrong.
Is it as bad as “sleep with me if you want the part” - not even close. And it should be used to take attention away from abusers who are male just because a female has made a mistake.
But it is a good example of abuse of power, even if it’s at the lower end of the scale.

balki
March 19th, 2018, 12:54 PM
"Hey, you got 31 waist, 36 leg pants?"
36 leg pants = 36" inseam?
skinny 6'6" guy I know buys from the store, are you 6'8" or something?

JoshInKC
March 19th, 2018, 04:29 PM
We have a Red Wing store in my neighborhood, but I haven't found anything particularly suitable for my office job that doesn't require a hard-hat or a CDL. I have been in there twice to look around and enjoy the smell of good leather, once before they closed and once after they re-opened a year or two later a couple doors down in the same small strip shopping center.

Quality low-quarter oxford and similar shoes suitable for the office and weekend casual dress that's a level above sneakers or boots are hard to find in the suburban sprawl full of corporate-owned conformity where I've chosen to reside.
You might consider giving the red wing store another shot. I know they've got some oxfords available at least on their website.
Also, as far as doc martens go, I would avoid. I think they got bought out sometime in the last 10 or 15 years and their quality dropped off a cliff.

Of course if you want to get really hardcore - look at Wesco (https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/MensCustomBoots.aspx). Like the rest of the other PacNW boot companies they're expensive, but they're custom fit and handmade to be tough as hell. Theoretically rebuildable to the end of time or your feet fall off, whichever comes first.

Cam
March 19th, 2018, 05:23 PM
36 leg pants = 36" inseam?
skinny 6'6" guy I know buys from the store, are you 6'8" or something?
The problem is being slim with long legs. For example, Old Navy has tons of 36 inseam pants, but none with less than a 34 waist.

George
March 20th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Of course if you want to get really hardcore...

I don't, although it's fun to look. I spent a little time at the Red Wing site. They have some good-looking shoes and boots at their site, but at $300 pair, it would be costly to get a few pairs in regular rotation.

I'd just like to find some decent shoes with good leather soles, or good, SOLID rubber soles like the old Doc Martens. The current crop of inexpensive mens shoes I see at DSW, Famous Footwear and stores in the mall (*cringe*) has HOLLOW rubber soles, in many cases. They look okay for a month or three, but then it becomes apparent the bottom of the soles have a thin layer of rubber stretched over an egg crate setup underneath. The thin rubber stretched over the holes in hollow sole wears out pretty quickly. Not only do they then look bad, but those holes let water in and suddenly you've got wet feet if it's raining or if there's melting snow on the sidewalks, etc. And then there's the cheap appearance of the uppers, white stitching and/or soles on black dress shoes, etc.

I used to go into those same shoe stores and find those cheap shoes, sure, but also the next higher level of quality that cost maybe around $100. There was a choice in cost and quality. Now it seems even the cheap shoes are $75 - $90 and there simply aren't any better ones available at these large shoe stores, unless I want to step up to Red Wings or similar at $300+ per pair, apparently.

I found this image on the web that illustrates the current sole problem pretty well.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsc01.alicdn.com%2Fkf%2FHTB1N_qaHFX XXXb3XpXXq6xXFXXXJ%2F221539346%2FHTB1N_qaHFXXXXb3X pXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg&f=1

As always, I have champagne taste on a beer budget.

balki
March 20th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Nor'easter #4 in 4 weeks
can this winter end, please?

mk
March 20th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Rewinded, 6230i.

Leon
March 20th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I end up doing a lot of online buying, because of limited range available in NZ.

I'm on a little Island (well, couple of Islands) in the middle of the Pacific. So our "big" retailers tend to only ship in a limited range of things like shoes, and distribute them among their retail branches. Even super mainstream stuff like Skecher (sorry if spelling is wrong, but I can't reach my feet currently due to a cat installed on my lap), which is what I wear as work shoes. Unless I want the one of the specific two styles of that shoe they brought in that season, and distributed to their three different named shops (all owned by same larger company), I need to import.

Other things, the margin added can be a deal breaker. For example when I wanted to get a wireless car charger for my phone, I could import delivered to my door from the UK for 60% of the price of the same product from Samsung NZ (who were out of stock). Lack of competition in NZ, means some products can be surprisingly priced. Not the good type of surprising either.

Being a small market, at the end of a long transport, means a lot of things here are very expensive compared to larger countries. We hear that a lot from folk visiting or relocating here.

Freude am Fahren
March 21st, 2018, 02:05 PM
I finally figured out how to grab the source image or video from an Instagram post. I guess that was kinda neat.

speedpimp
March 21st, 2018, 03:13 PM
Last Saturday I found myself taking my break at a Bass Pro Shop. Spent half an hour wandering around and walked out with a pair of New Balance sneakers that were marked down from $70 to $40.

Rare White Ape
March 24th, 2018, 05:58 PM
My whip for today.

http://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/29542997_10156015274640792_2846939346575941410_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=a8eb547d5e28b25b2763cc2cfde34fcc&oe=5B3211D6

I’m volunteering as a transport driver for the Commonwealth Games, which starts next week. I’ll spend two weeks driving athletes and officials between venues, training facilities, the Village, airports, etc. Should be fun :up:

Leon
March 24th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Noice.

Cam
March 24th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Cool.

Godson
March 24th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Speaking for a buddy.

"That moment when you get cock blocked very by waiting on your did for too Long."

Feel sorry for the guy.

G'day Mate
March 25th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Nice one RWA

balki
March 25th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Speaking for a buddy.

"That moment when you get cock blocked very by waiting on your did for too Long."

Feel sorry for the guy.
I’m sure that I can relate if I knew wtf those last nine words meant

dodint
March 25th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Yeah.

His phone is drunk again.

Cam
March 25th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Glad it wasn't just me. I was thinking I developed a cognitive disability.

Freude am Fahren
March 25th, 2018, 11:22 AM
:lol: Maybe he was cockblocked by autocorrect?

Or having a stroke?

Godson
March 25th, 2018, 12:07 PM
I was drunk when I typed it. Not going to lie.

We got invited to go party up last night with some very attractive women. We had already ordered food when the invite was sent. Didn't get food for damn near an hour, and by the time we paid our booze bill (food was comped) and got to the bar, the table they were at was being cleaned up.

:/

Drachen596
March 26th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Guy at work claims to be an ASE Certified Mechanic. Says he doesn't do that work because of the slow season.

Is there a slow season for car repairs that leaves mechanics without a lot of work in the year? I have to ask because the only people in my family doing mechanic work right now are in construction and work year round. Uncle does auto paint and he's busy year round it seems too.

Godson
March 26th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Yeah. It will be slow until about mid April or so.

Yw-slayer
March 27th, 2018, 03:27 AM
I was drunk when I typed it. Not going to lie.

We got invited to go party up last night with some very attractive women. We had already ordered food when the invite was sent. Didn't get food for damn near an hour, and by the time we paid our booze bill (food was comped) and got to the bar, the table they were at was being cleaned up.

:/

There are many attractive women in this world, but you only have one father, bro.

Godson
March 27th, 2018, 04:08 PM
I'm confused, what's my dad have to do with this?

Cam
March 27th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I think he's saying he's your daddy.

MR2 Fan
March 27th, 2018, 06:10 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/565c4b8d3e0d52968b1937a137adf1a2/tumblr_oucctaZfEm1upvr5ao1_540.gif

SkylineObsession
March 28th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Well this sucks arse.
http://forums.nzgamer.com/

They told us in December it's shutting down, but didn't give a definitive date, then they may have said they are exploring options or something so we all got our hopes up that at least they may save the forums. Nope. Today they have suddenly announced it's all shutting down on the 31st March. So they didn't actually care about the community, all we were to them was a source of income. That's the impression i get anyway. :smh:

Drachen596
March 29th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Works been slightly less shit this week after some new goals from somewhere up high.
Loading late is easier to avoid when picking 12 hours ahead and with Walmart fining for anything not ready on time it pushed managements hand.

Some other dumb stuff happened this week but that was due to the customer pushing out a new process that wasn't tested and checked thoroughly first.

So I guess there is a fireflys worth of light at the other end of the tunnel for now.

balki
March 29th, 2018, 04:56 PM
shit, I forgot how expensive VHS movies were (I always remembered that VCRs stayed around [or above] a grand for a decade);
per Wikipedia RoboCop was released on VHS and LaserDisc in February 1988. It was sold for $89.98 on VHS
I remember some VHSs selling for $119.99

speedpimp
March 30th, 2018, 02:07 PM
When I was working part-time in a video store in late '98/early '99 they had a copy of Deep Impact for sale in the display case. The asking price was $79.99. It never sold during the three months I worked there.

Rare White Ape
April 3rd, 2018, 12:39 AM
A little bit more on my Gold Coast Commonwealth Games adventures.

I've done three shifts so far as a fleet transport driver. It has mostly been pretty quiet because the show doesn't start properly until Thursday, with the opening ceremony tomorrow night (23:20 away for those watching at home - you'd better tune in!). Speaking of which, all volunteers and staff got tickets to the dress rehearsals, and I went to the one last night. I've gotta say I was very impressed, and extremely proud of what my home city will be showing to the world over the next week-and-a-bit. I can say that it got a lil' bit dusty in the air... sniffle...

We were encouraged to take photos while in the audience, but were told to keep it a secret, so this is all that I will share with you all ;)

http://scontent.fsyd3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29790531_10156041099250792_9045645055653725134_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c5804c9642e6f9068aa3824edab40cd2&oe=5B2FE58B

However, if you want a bit of preparation, Migaloo the white humpback whale (http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/9062608-3x2-700x467.jpg) is featured, so you might want to learn a little bit about him.

Despite the view of empty seats in the shot, the stadium ended up being a near-packed house by the 8pm start time. It's a sold-out event for the real deal. Yesterday was also a day off for me, so I took the opportunity to go for a wee trip at lunchtime to see the Queen's Baton Relay make its way through the suburb in which I was born. I got a mini souvenir flag :)

So far I've taken a few passengers of note:

Secretary-General of Malawi
Secretary-General of Zambia
President of C'wealth Games Federation Malawi

All were utterly friendly and awesome passengers. I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow morning!

Yw-slayer
April 3rd, 2018, 06:15 AM
I thought Tyler was blocked by waiting on his dad too long.

Godson
April 3rd, 2018, 06:47 AM
We were waiting on food.

Fogelhund
April 4th, 2018, 03:49 AM
http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/erik-karlsson-blasts-online-troll-for-disgusting-comments

An online troll who Erik Karlsson says has been harassing him for months has now attacked his wife, Melinda, on Instagram after the death of their son, Axel.

An Instagram user known as sandydandy45 posted the following comment:

https://postmediaottawasun.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/comment2.jpg

speedpimp
April 4th, 2018, 04:20 AM
No posts yet on IG from sandydandy45, but there is also a sandydandy_45, who now has all of their posts set to private. It makes you wonder how many people got the two confused.

dodint
April 4th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Erik Karlsson is one of the nicest guys in hockey, too. That's a real shame.

Yw-slayer
April 4th, 2018, 06:40 AM
We were waiting on food.

It said did so I assumed dad. :lol:

Godson
April 4th, 2018, 06:03 PM
I totally got that after I read this the other day.

I must have been pretty tanked.

sandydandy
April 7th, 2018, 04:49 PM
http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/erik-karlsson-blasts-online-troll-for-disgusting-comments

An online troll who Erik Karlsson says has been harassing him for months has now attacked his wife, Melinda, on Instagram after the death of their son, Axel.

An Instagram user known as sandydandy45 posted the following comment:

https://postmediaottawasun.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/comment2.jpg WTF? That’s not me.

FaultyMario
April 7th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Seriously Fogie, srsly?

Rare White Ape
April 11th, 2018, 02:14 AM
Today I drove former Welsh gymnast Frankie Jones to the gymnastics venue.

I nearly died while creaming my pants. She’s gorgeous.

Godson
April 11th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Quick Google search to this statement.

She looks better in street wear than the gymnastics garb

speedpimp
April 11th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Not too shabby. Her medal winning "cry face" is a meme waiting to happen.

Rare White Ape
April 11th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Quick Google search to this statement.

She looks better in street wear than the gymnastics garb

Yeah. 100000x better.

George
April 11th, 2018, 02:52 PM
TTIUWP

FaultyMario
April 11th, 2018, 07:33 PM
"U"?

Rare White Ape
April 15th, 2018, 02:05 AM
This is me with Katrina Johnson-Thompson, gold medalist in the women’s heptathlon.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/879/40754806304_0a3301e162_o_d.jpg

I also had some staff involved with the English netball team about 1/2 an hour after their team won gold by a single point against the best team in the world at their home event. Suffice to say they were pretty chuffed about the whole thing. Straight after that, I drove the president of the Jamaican Olympic Association to the closing ceremony. Been a good day.

Cam
April 15th, 2018, 02:29 AM
:cool:

drew
April 15th, 2018, 07:14 AM
:up:

SkylineObsession
April 15th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I barely watched any of the Commonwealth Games (maybe an hours worth at most) because the TV channel here was putting ads on every 2-3 mins and it was insanely annoying. Even after people en-mass complained about all the ads.

Rare White Ape
April 15th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Yeah. I had the NZ para swim team in the car and they mentioned how poor the broadcast was back home.

By contrast we had two channels on TV plus an app and a website that showed at least 8 and sometimes up to 12 more feeds (some paywalled, most free) every day between 9am and 10:30pm.

sandydandy
April 15th, 2018, 02:07 PM
She's lovely.

FaultyMario
April 15th, 2018, 03:12 PM
I hate handsome Athletes, they make normal people look bloated and ugly.

I'm never getting near one, I'm afraid of how I might look next to one.

Yw-slayer
April 15th, 2018, 04:43 PM
But most normal people ARE bloated and ugly.

FaultyMario
April 15th, 2018, 04:50 PM
:(

Rare White Ape
April 15th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Oi careful with how you word those comments ya fucks

sandydandy
April 23rd, 2018, 07:52 PM
Shocking and sad day today in Toronto with the van attack that killed 10 people. My sister lives almost right exactly there in a high-rise condo. Thankfully she was at work when the incident took place.

Investigation will continue well into the week, I’m sure. A little bit of information on the driver, no info on the victims. Feels so surreal...and sickening.

Drachen596
April 23rd, 2018, 08:06 PM
Thinking of making a big change and quitting my job to move down south.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not though and a lot of things would need to be sorted out first.

21Kid
April 24th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Damn Sandy... That sounds horrible.

One of my friends who is a fan of the 2nd is calling for a ban on assault vehicles. :smh:

Cam
April 24th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I am pretty sure your friend deleted that post. Samurai was bringing the logic, resulting in shut-down. :rolleyes:

sandydandy
April 24th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Damn Sandy... That sounds horrible.

One of my friends who is a fan of the 2nd is calling for a ban on assault vehicles. :smh: Saw a lot of that on FB. Plus people automatically assuming the driver was a muslim guy. Turns out it was a 25-year-old named Alek Minassian, which indicates his ethnic origin is Armenian. Armenians are apparently predominantly Christian, but I doubt this attack was religiously motivated. Someone found a FB post by the guy where he referenced "incel rebellion". Incel meaning involuntary celibate. Basically he was a loner who couldn't get any action, and figured the logical thing to do was to kill as many innocent people as possible because of it. Killed 10 fucking people, still can't wrap my head around it.

My sister had trouble getting home last night, as the cops had set up blockades everywhere, so she had to spend the evening at my parents house. She finally managed to get to her building via a back road. Can't imagine how jumpy she must feel living right in heart of it.

dodint
April 24th, 2018, 10:36 AM
The relevance to 2A is that people say if there were no guns there would be no violence. Yet vehicle borne attacks are on a steep rise as a way to injure many soft targets cheaply and easily, here is a timeline that is somewhat dated but illustrates the sharp rise: https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/world/terrorist-attacks-by-vehicle-fast-facts/index.html
That list is just terrorist attacks, this one breaks them out between terrorists and regular crazy people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-ramming_attack

The UK is currently losing their minds over knives at the moment.

Ill people will do terrible things and generally find a way.

MR2 Fan
April 24th, 2018, 11:47 AM
I find it interesting the reactions about the police officer in Toronto who refused to shoot the suspect in the truck massacre.

I watch TYT on youtube frequently (I don't always agree with them but most of the time I agree with the main host Cenk Ungyr). He was praising the police officer for not shooting the suspect.

Now, it's interesting because it appears on the video someone captured that the suspect kept reaching around but only had a cell phone in his hand (?). Cenk was saying how he thinks if it was in the U.S. he'd be shot 10 times by then.....but in that specific situation, I don't see why that's a bad thing.

YES, police often shoot suspects during VERY questionable circumstances, but this was TOTALLY not one of them. I just think the praise from that and other places is a bit too much.

sandydandy
May 2nd, 2018, 07:45 AM
Somebody ransacked my car overnight. Can't believe I forgot to lock the doors yesterday evening. He emptied out the glove compartment and center console and left a huge mess. Didn't take anything. There was nothing of value in there to take, aside from a pair of Apple Earpods. Don't know why he left that.

Luckily, my neighbor has a security camera whose coverage extends to my half of the driveway, (semi-detached house, shared driveway), so she's going to go through the footage on her computer and give me a copy which I'll take to the police. Believe it or not, the exact same thing happened to her husband last summer. One evening he forgot to lock his car doors and a guy came around at 4am and sat in his car, rifling through his stuff. I saw that video, and think this is probably the same guy. Probably goes driveway to driveway looking for unlocked cars to rob.

Fucking ass. I hope he was disappointed.

balki
May 2nd, 2018, 11:37 AM
If he (or she) just made a mess that's good. They could easily do hundreds in glass damage for a few quarters (or looneys, for you ... quacks)

MR2 Fan
May 2nd, 2018, 12:17 PM
yeah, back in the early 90's my family's house was robbed...in daylight.

They were very meticulous, only took specific things of value...my game consoles, mom's jewelry....left our PC where it was, didn't even bother taking that (Thankfully!) and generally didn't make a mess at all. So it was like they were polite robbers, lol

sandydandy
May 2nd, 2018, 03:56 PM
Our house got robbed on my wedding night in 1999. I was still living with my parents back then.

The thieves knew exactly what to take and where to find it. All of the cash gifts received from the morning ceremony were stolen. I remember how greedy I was acting at lunch. Playing cavalierly with $100 notes and laughing hardy, before stuffing them into my dresser drawer. All gone. Hubris bit me hard in the ass. They even took my wife’s new jewelry, which upset her quite a bit. They also ransacked my parents bedroom and took some cash from suitcases. They were clearly professionals and knew exactly what they were doing.

This all happened in the evening during the reception. We watch the tape of our reception every now and then, and joke about how we were getting robbed while jumping around and having a good time. We’re long over it. At least we still had the evening gifts. I’m thinking it had to be an inside job. Friends of family. We’ll never know.

All of my cousins who got married in the years following paid special attention to the possibility of getting robbed on wedding night, and all took measures to prevent it. We made the mistake of not giving it serious thought. The prudent idea would be to either hire security to watch the house, or take all morning cash gifts and jewelry with you to the reception. These days people are having the ceremony and reception on separate days, so they have time to go to the bank to lock up their goodies.

Alan P
May 2nd, 2018, 04:26 PM
Our house got robbed on my wedding night in 1999. I was still living with my parents back then.

The thieves knew exactly what to take and where to find it. All of the cash gifts received from the morning ceremony were stolen. I remember how greedy I was acting at lunch. Playing cavalierly with $100 notes and laughing hardy, before stuffing them into my dresser drawer. All gone. Hubris bit me hard in the ass. They even took my wife’s new jewelry, which upset her quite a bit. They also ransacked my parents bedroom and took some cash from suitcases. They were clearly professionals and knew exactly what they were doing.

This all happened in the evening during the reception. We watch the tape of our reception every now and then, and joke about how we were getting robbed while jumping around and having a good time. We’re long over it. At least we still had the evening gifts. I’m thinking it had to be an inside job. Friends of family. We’ll never know.

All of my cousins who got married in the years following paid special attention to the possibility of getting robbed on wedding night, and all took measures to prevent it. We made the mistake of not giving it serious thought. The prudent idea would be to either hire security to watch the house, or take all morning cash gifts and jewelry with you to the reception. These days people are having the ceremony and reception on separate days, so they have time to go to the bank to lock up their goodies.

Was it announced locally? It was likely a friend, acquaintance or work colleague of someone who was there. Someone being a bit loud prior and announcing where it would be and that 'everyone would be there'. These things are rarely purely by chance.

sandydandy
May 2nd, 2018, 07:43 PM
No it wasn’t announced locally. I agree it was probably done by somebody close. We had a few ideas back then, but impossible to prove. Haven’t thought about it much since then. It’s been almost two decades.

TheBenior
May 2nd, 2018, 08:05 PM
yeah, back in the early 90's my family's house was robbed...in daylight.

They were very meticulous, only took specific things of value...my game consoles, mom's jewelry....left our PC where it was, didn't even bother taking that (Thankfully!) and generally didn't make a mess at all. So it was like they were polite robbers, lol

That's pretty typical, apart from the lack of mess. Burglars in the US don't want to encounter residents who might call the police. Or shoot said burglars. The most common things taken are small electronics, watches, and jewelry that are easily carried away and later sold.

JoshInKC
May 3rd, 2018, 04:38 PM
My next door neighbors got daylight robbed - Pretty sure it was an inside deal. They pulled a truck up to the back porch on a Sunday afternoon, and apparently went straight for the guitars and guns. I sort of saw them, but didn't think anything of it because it was super brazen.

balki
May 4th, 2018, 06:39 AM
quantities
one of my most favorite words :D

drew
May 4th, 2018, 01:09 PM
quantitties?

21Kid
May 5th, 2018, 11:21 PM
quantitties?

:lol::up:

sandydandy
May 9th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Yesterday was a terrible and bizarre sports day for Toronto. Actually the 24 hours from Monday night to Tuesday night. I was actually going to write this up last night, but fell asleep.

Monday night our beloved Raptors were blown out by LeBron and the Cavaliers, and were eliminated from the NBA playoffs. Third consecutive year of being eliminated by the Cavs, and second consecutive sweep at their hands. Toronto has been renamed LeBronto. Our team was the top seed in the East winning 59 games, but as per usual, choked in the playoffs. It's so sad it's almost funny.

Yesterday morning our All Star closer for the Blue Jays got arrested and charged with assaulting his girlfriend. This is not so funny, it's very serious. Roberto Osuna, I think he's 22 or 23. Has (or had) the potential to become one of the greatest closers in baseball. MLB has stepped in and placed him on administrative leave. His first court appearance is scheduled for June 18th. Who knows what's going to happen then for his career and his life.

Finally, yesterday evening our Blue Jays were no-hit by a Seattle pitcher in a 5-0 loss. Perfect way to cap off the shittiest 24 hours in our sports history. Only silver lining was the pitcher who no-hit us was a Canadian guy from BC. Fans cheered for him based on that.

dodint
May 9th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE1hTMJefCc

sandydandy
May 9th, 2018, 07:09 AM
^ That actually wasn’t a shock. It was expected. Leafs are cursed like the Cubs used to be.

dodint
May 9th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Eh.

They probably would have won the series if Matthews hadn't disappeared. Stupid American probably ate too many Big Macs and got sleepy.

pl8ster
May 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Nothing personal, Nate and Phil, but I was glad to see the Caps able to move on for once. And the Bruins are ahead of schedule, at least that's what everyone is telling themselves after they played one good game against TB.

dodint
May 9th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Pittsburgh fans, for the most part, are taking it well. The team was playing exhausted from having to play over 300 games in the last three seasons. Just no energy left. They did what no team in the salary cap era has done and you can't be anything less than happy for them.

As for the Caps, they'll get pummeled by TB (as would the Pens) so I have that to look forward to.

Godson
May 9th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Yesterday was a terrible and bizarre sports day for Toronto. Actually the 24 hours from Monday night to Tuesday night. I was actually going to write this up last night, but fell asleep.

Monday night our beloved Raptors were blown out by LeBron and the Cavaliers, and were eliminated from the NBA playoffs. Third consecutive year of being eliminated by the Cavs, and second consecutive sweep at their hands. Toronto has been renamed LeBronto. Our team was the top seed in the East winning 59 games, but as per usual, choked in the playoffs. It's so sad it's almost funny.

Yesterday morning our All Star closer for the Blue Jays got arrested and charged with assaulting his girlfriend. This is not so funny, it's very serious. Roberto Osuna, I think he's 22 or 23. Has (or had) the potential to become one of the greatest closers in baseball. MLB has stepped in and placed him on administrative leave. His first court appearance is scheduled for June 18th. Who knows what's going to happen then for his career and his life.

Finally, yesterday evening our Blue Jays were no-hit by a Seattle pitcher in a 5-0 loss. Perfect way to cap off the shittiest 24 hours in our sports history. Only silver lining was the pitcher who no-hit us was a Canadian guy from BC. Fans cheered for him based on that.

At least none of your players murdered his girlfriend, then shot himself at the training facility in front of the HC and GM...

dodint
May 9th, 2018, 05:00 PM
...yet.

MR2 Fan
May 10th, 2018, 10:19 AM
If you literally put the cart before the horse, will it be like rear-wheel drive?

dodint
May 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM
https://www.phrases.org.uk/images/cart-before-the-horse.jpg

MR2 Fan
May 10th, 2018, 10:46 AM

mk
May 13th, 2018, 11:11 AM
5-1 but Adblue is nagging.

FaultyMario
May 13th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I got the plug on Oaxaca.

speedpimp
May 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Apparently I got drunk enough Saturday night to apply for a job and not remember doing so. I was a little surprised when I checked my email Sunday morning and found an email thanking me for my application and resume. Somehow the resume ended up with some service who analyzed it and said it makes me come across as a "doer" and not "an achiever". Apparently everybody but me quit saving their resumes as .rtf years ago. Heh.

Alan P
May 14th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Hmm, Landlord wants to sell the house I'm living in. Not good.

Freude am Fahren
May 14th, 2018, 04:38 PM
That's something I always worry about. Especially living where I do in South Florida, and getting what is, relatively, a pretty good rate.

To get what I have now (garage, good neighborhood, kinda nice water view, close to work, large dog friendly), I should be paying at least $200 more a month.

Leon
May 14th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Hmm, Landlord wants to sell the house I'm living in. Not good.

That's annoying. I had that twice (in the same house). Second time, I got annoyed, and bought the house myself.

SkylineObsession
May 14th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Almost the same as Leon. House got sold out from under us twice, so when the second owners (my cousin) decided to sell, we ended up just buying a house instead (not the one we were in, as it was a bit crappy).

It's happening a LOT in NZ now with the 'housing crisis' (shitty homes full of borer, mould, holes in walls etc are selling for a million dollars plus in Auckland). Everyone's house values have increased (ours has gone up over 100k in only three years).

Alan P
May 15th, 2018, 02:47 PM
That's something I always worry about. Especially living where I do in South Florida, and getting what is, relatively, a pretty good rate.

To get what I have now (garage, good neighborhood, kinda nice water view, close to work, large dog friendly), I should be paying at least $200 more a month.

I kind of knew I was getting a good deal at £520 per month but looking around has just reinforced it. Minimum £100 extra for a house round here.

mk
May 19th, 2018, 11:36 AM
2-3

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2018, 10:08 AM
If you haven't heard among the maker community, the queen of shi**y robots and Tested.com contributor, Simone Giertz is having major surgery today to remove a golf ball sized tumor behind her eye. It's supposed to take around 10-12 hours.

She is an amazingly unique person even among makers, and I love her sense of humor through all of this....here's to hoping for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

People are sending well wishes to her twitter: @SimoneGiertz

Kchrpm
May 30th, 2018, 10:22 AM
The other day at trivia, the halftime question was to make four of the first ten recipients of the Mark Twain American comedy award. Of the several names mentioned, I wrote down Richard Pryor. It was questioned, and I defended it. The questioning continued.

"There's no way I'm taking Richard Pryor off this list." One or two people laughed, I just stared at the people who were questioning it. Slightly awkward silence followed.

The only one we got right was Richard Pryor.

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2018, 08:04 PM
update:

Simone Giertz @SimoneGiertz

Simone is out of surgery and her doctors are very pleased with how everything went. She woke up long enough to make an inappropriate joke... so things are looking good.

Cam
May 31st, 2018, 04:42 AM
The only one we got right was Richard Pryor.

:lol::up:

MR2 Fan
May 31st, 2018, 09:02 AM
Every time I read a certain person's posts here, I imagine this headline:

"Osmium no longer the densest material on earth"

Cam
June 3rd, 2018, 01:45 PM
Me: "I deleted that e-mail."
Wife: "You delete e-mail?"
:lol:

MR2 Fan
June 3rd, 2018, 10:32 PM
sometimes I have fun trying to predict what will happen in the next 10-20 years...recently there's been news about trying to ban plastic forks, straws, bags, etc.

So I'm wondering if we're going to get to a point where we all just carry backpacks around that have a number of re-useable supplies on our own and just wash them in specified places.

So a utility bag or backpack that everyone carries, I wonder what other kind of supplies that would include?

Drachen596
June 4th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Anyone see the Head of GMs product development bin the pace car at the IRL Detroit Gran Pix?

Godson
June 4th, 2018, 06:47 AM
sometimes I have fun trying to predict what will happen in the next 10-20 years...recently there's been news about trying to ban plastic forks, straws, bags, etc.

So I'm wondering if we're going to get to a point where we all just carry backpacks around that have a number of re-useable supplies on our own and just wash them in specified places.

So a utility bag or backpack that everyone carries, I wonder what other kind of supplies that would include?

Yeah, a pip-boy

Drachen596
June 4th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Yeah, a pip-boy

Arm mounted cell phone?

Godson
June 6th, 2018, 07:13 PM
I'm in a really shitty mood and I don't know why

mk
June 7th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Check your butt plug.

Godson
June 7th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Check your butt plug.

2ndMoparMan
June 7th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Just saw the How to Train your Dragon 3 trailer....yes pls.

speedpimp
June 11th, 2018, 04:07 AM
My first time under 200 since the summer of '95. First time wearing 36" waist since that time as well. I could probably get away with wearing a large shirt, but an XL helps cover some things.

balki
June 11th, 2018, 05:21 AM
maybe the lighting is flattering, but you may have a future in foot modeling

Cam
June 11th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Great work, Rich.

speedpimp
June 11th, 2018, 08:12 AM
maybe the lighting is flattering, but you may have a future in foot modeling

It makes them look 10 lbs. thinner.

Thanks Cam.

SportWagon
June 11th, 2018, 03:26 PM
A series of primarily textual articles, inherently not connected with one another but made to appear so through the magic of some underlying integrated database. A thread, if you will, just like so many others created, not only here, but all around the world. You know it should have no real value, purpose or significance--just a pseudo-location where generally like-minded participants toss together off-the cuff, sometimes even somewhat random, thoughts and observations.

And yet this particular series of inherently unconnected primarily textual observations seems to convey something of overwhelming personal significance.

I wrote this respectfully, intending to post it in a particular recently-created thread, but decided I could not quite pull off the appropriate level of respect and relevance...

Ashie
June 11th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Congrats Rich!

speedpimp
June 12th, 2018, 04:33 AM
Thanks Ashie.

Freude am Fahren
June 12th, 2018, 05:56 PM
So I didn't think to check if my suits fit before a wedding I'm going to next week.

I've put on like 25-30lb since last wearing one.

Not even close.

Fuck.

sandydandy
June 13th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I had an incident with a stripper today. Came on my face. It burned. :(

sandydandy
June 13th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I should clarify I’m talking about paint stripper. Splashed a little on my face and almost into my eye when I was opening the gallon. Burned like a motherfucker, had to furiously wash the shit off my face.

Heavy duty industrial grade stuff. Was sizzling when I poured a little bit into a metal tray.

dodint
June 13th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Either way you'll want to keep those fluids out of your tear ducts and mucus membranes.

speedpimp
June 13th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I had an incident with a stripper today. Came on my face. It burned. :(

Had the same thing happen in Sept '97 while high AF and a 4'10" lady used my glasses to clean her bush(or maybe it was the other way around).

sandydandy
June 13th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Sounds exciting, me bruv!

speedpimp
June 13th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Sorry but '97 is a year that is just now figuring its shit out.

FaultyMario
June 16th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Cooking Gas in Mexico is bought via refillable cylinders that are delivered to your home by a truck.

We ran out of gas. I haven't taken a shower since yesterday morning. It's almost 3pm local time. We're still waiting for our cylinder.

Cam
June 16th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Wait, your water heater is gas-powered?

Freude am Fahren
June 16th, 2018, 03:37 PM
That's not too unusual, is it?

Alan P
June 16th, 2018, 03:48 PM
That's not too unusual, is it?

No. Our boiler is a condensing one with 'on demand' hot water and central heating. We have mains gas though. We do have a Hot Water Tank with electric immersion heater but we never use it. Our Shower is an electric one that heats the water itself rather than using already heated water though.

FaultyMario
June 16th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Wait, your water heater is gas-powered?

Yup, Liquified Propane petroleum gas. That's par for the course down here.

Will go Solar As Soon As Budget Allows.

Cam
June 17th, 2018, 04:02 AM
It is not unexpected. I was just clarifying, as Mario said, “Cooking gas...”

MR2 Fan
June 18th, 2018, 03:34 PM
so some rapper I never heard called XXXatencion or something was shot and killed and it's all over twitter....and i'm now the old guy who wonders how this guy is important if I've never heard of him.

Dicknose
June 18th, 2018, 05:03 PM
I havent heard of him - but then again Id never seen anything by Anthony Bourdain. Id seen the name, but couldnt tell you a thing about him prior to his death.
Ah fame.

sandydandy
June 29th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Oh man I had a rough day yesterday. Actually this whole week has been a rough one.

I came down with a 'summer cold' on Monday, and have been dragging my feet at work all week. Tuesday was bad, like really bad. I could barely move. Had aches and pains and a fever with chills which lasted into the evening. I was consulting Dr. Google and thought I had the symptoms of pneumonia, but by Wednesday things started looking better. Then yesterday I had a scare. I did diarrhea in the morning, which I dismissed as an annoyance due to the amount of Tylenol I was taking. Then through the morning I felt strange at work. I drank my morning coffee, and was slowly sipping on a water bottle. Then suddenly I felt like a thump in the middle of my chest. It would happen every 20-30 seconds. Wasn't overly painful, but enough to get my attention that something was not right.

Some of you know I work in powder coating, which is just brutal in the summertime because of the extreme heat. Yesterday was a very hot day, and after this weird thumping thing started I realized that maybe I was getting dehydrated, because I noticed it would get less intense after I took a few sips of water. The heat, combined with being sick already, plus the diarrhea...it was definitely a formula for something bad. Checked online for confirmatory evidence, and yup. I think I was having heart palpitations because it was being overworked, as my body was getting low on electrolytes. I guess the next step would've been a heat stroke. :eek:

So I started drinking water like a madman. Went to the gas station to get a couple of bottles of Gatorade and practically inhaled the first one. The second one I sipped slowly through the course of the day. Had lunch with water as my drink instead of Coke. By mid-day my fluids appeared to stabilize, as I didn't experience any more thumping. But man it was scary.

Today is still hot as fuck, but I'm keeping myself hydrated as I go. Water and Gatorade. I have a blazing headache but am avoiding Tylenol. Don't need another bout with diarrhea. I'll just wait for the virus or whatever to run its course. I do feel much better, just dealing with a stuffy nose and phlegm and all that bullshit.

dodint
June 29th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Ash and I both got a summer fever in the last week. It sucks.

Cam
June 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Bummer. I hope you feel better soon.

George
June 29th, 2018, 12:56 PM
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ec0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Feb%2F9d%2Ff9%2Feb9df9 acf369f8dcebe61833bed1461d.jpg&f=1

sandydandy
July 3rd, 2018, 03:29 PM
Feeling much better this week. Just at the tail end of my sickness. I expect to have it completely licked in a couple of days. Phlegm is still annoying as shit.

so some rapper I never heard called XXXatencion or something was shot and killed and it's all over twitter....and i'm now the old guy who wonders how this guy is important if I've never heard of him. I heard about this rapper’s death. Never knew of him before, nor did I hear any of his songs. My son, 16, is quite devastated by it. He’s been playing his music in the car quite a bit recently, trying to get me into it too. I don’t have the heart to tell him that I simply don’t care. I tried listening to the song “Sad!”, and it’s alright at best. Might check out a couple of more songs, but I’m unenthusiastic about it, to be honest.

I’m sure he was a talented artist and everything, but it’s just not my cup of tea. Somehow I doubt that the music of a 20-year-old, who had next to no real life experience and probably no hair on his balls either, would relate well with a forty something like me. But you never know.

My son rationalizes his sadness as what I would’ve experienced back when Biggie, Tupac and Kurt Cobain died. And well, he may have a point there. :|

Cam
July 4th, 2018, 09:27 AM
I never heard of XXXTentacion until he died. I could not figure out why it was newsworthy. I looked him up on Wikipedia. It appears he was a career criminal. :rolleyes: The next day, I saw a comment on an art-related YT video, "rip xxxtentacion." :erm: Seriously? The video had nothing to do with music, rap, XXXTentacion, nor did it have any rap or hip-hop music in it. :erm:

Then again, I do not understand the allure of, or interest in, celebrities. :shrug:

Leon
July 5th, 2018, 09:38 PM
So, the fireworks display that was due to happen, has been delayed, because there has been a whale cruising around and popping wheelies in the harbour (to be clear, the harbour is a massive area, not just a wee splash of water) for the last few days.

FaultyMario
July 7th, 2018, 07:55 PM
How could a petrolhead not love FM's "The chain"'s bassline?

dodint
July 9th, 2018, 11:43 AM
It's the only song of theirs I like.

Kchrpm
July 9th, 2018, 12:39 PM
What does the bassline have to do with petrolheads? I like the song (did it at karaoke last night), but I don't see the connection.

Freude am Fahren
July 9th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I think it;s because the BBC used it for F1 coverage?

FaultyMario
July 9th, 2018, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXMzN9H4OM

Because the BBC has used it as its intro theme for their F1 broadcast since forever.

dodint
July 10th, 2018, 05:53 AM
I've always preferred the 2010 iteration, where the CGI car forms around the driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDfLI10EyKY

That's an extended version, the proper part starts at :50.

Jason
July 11th, 2018, 07:24 AM
I keep forgetting to check in here, or even participate. It's nice catching up on people's day to days.

I've been sharing less and less of my personal life with people for some reason, not really sure why. I've been dating someone for about 8 months now, and we're getting to a point where her lease is up, and has to make a decision on moving or not, which means we need to have a discussion about moving in together. The concept terrifies me, since I like having my own space, and I've historically not done well with living with others. But at the same time, it's wasteful to have two homes when spending so much time together.

Job is going strong, 9 years this last April... but the company is currently in the midst of an ownership change (whole thing got purchased by one company, but my "team" is going to be sold off to another company). Currently unsure of what's going to happen with that... we're a profitable group, so I assume we'll be fine, but still always feels a bit unstable when changing companies.

I've been traveling very little as of late, since the usual folks I used to travel with are unavailable, and the people are available to me now (including gf) would likely need me to pay their way, and I can't really afford that. It's starting to eat at me, because I really "need" it. Thankfully I still have my other "need", basketball, but man is it really starting to take it's toll. Aging sucks.

Overall life is good, but for whatever reason, I'm incredibly bored and kinda "meh". I need some sort of excitement... I guess that's the mid-life crisis creeping up :lol:

dodint
July 11th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Our experiences are pretty different but I feel very similar to you. I always feel like I'm waiting for something and never really getting there. I'm going places, figuratively, but never really arriving at the destination it seems.

Godson
July 11th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Jason, if you ever want to get out. You have a place to cash in KC. I could show you around to some of our art scene, food, and just the general layout of everything.

The offer goes to everyone here too

Jason
July 11th, 2018, 08:54 AM

Thanks Tyler

FaultyMario
July 11th, 2018, 10:43 AM
The offer goes to everyone here too

If I can get past the wall, I'll be there homes!

Joking, obvs.

FaultyMario
July 13th, 2018, 08:55 PM
I keep forgetting to check in here, or even participate. It's nice catching up on people's day to days.

Here's a blog with experiences of people like you, who've managed to make relationships work (http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh-0pJZXUAIge0f.jpg)

Jason
July 14th, 2018, 05:29 AM
What the fuck is that?! 😂

FaultyMario
July 14th, 2018, 05:39 AM
The face of an ant. Seen with an electron microscope.

MR2 Fan
July 19th, 2018, 04:08 PM
people are talking about how future generations will start eating insects to solve our global food crises and I'm glad....future generations can do that, because there's no way I'm doing that.

FaultyMario
July 19th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Bitch, please.

Drachen596
July 19th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Bored and looking at planes for sale. There's a PBY Catalina, cruise speed 125 mph but that things got 2500 miles of range! Fly from home to see my dad in Florida then Sister in Wisconsin all without refueling!

assuming you have a pilots license, multi engine, complex and probably sea plane ratings to go with the 250k to buy it plus cost to repair it to 100% flyable.

Leon
July 19th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Bored and looking at planes for sale. There's a PBY Catalina, cruise speed 125 mph but that things got 2500 miles of range! Fly from home to see my dad in Florida then Sister in Wisconsin all without refueling!

assuming you have a pilots license, multi engine, complex and probably sea plane ratings to go with the 250k to buy it plus cost to repair it to 100% flyable.

Man, when I get bored, I start looking at $5000 cars.

MR2 Fan
July 19th, 2018, 10:00 PM
I look for "No Reserve" cars on ebay

Godson
July 20th, 2018, 02:40 AM
I used to look for cheap ass Corvettes and beat up ass Jeep's.

Now I own both :/

dodint
July 20th, 2018, 05:20 AM

I was looking at a local flying club and determining if next year is the year I'm getting my PPL. Probably not since I'll still be in school. A plane purchase, I think, is still 10-15 years away for me.

tigeraid
July 20th, 2018, 10:06 AM
people are talking about how future generations will start eating insects to solve our global food crises and I'm glad....future generations can do that, because there's no way I'm doing that.

I've had ground up crickets in a shake. It's fine. Very mild taste. If it doesn't look/feel like insects, you'd eat 'em just fine. It's when you're picking legs and wings out of your teeth that the illusion fails. :popcorn:

George
July 20th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Man, when I get bored, I start looking at $5000 cars.

Me too, except I'm looking for my next daily driver. :D

George
July 20th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I've had ground up crickets in a shake.

Apparently fried chile-lime grasshoppers are all the rage at Seattle Mariners baseball games.

One of many links about the topic: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/get-your-fried-grasshoppers-here-the-big-hit-at-mariners-home-games/

Cam
July 20th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I just recently found out that a friend's (USC photo prof) husband, who was a fit 40 years old or so, dropped dead at the gym a couple of weeks ago. Leaves a young son behind too. Reminds me of a former member of our board. :(

Today, Lori told me that a work colleague has a few months to live because of inoperable cancer. :(

Be good to each other, my friends.

Dicknose
July 21st, 2018, 02:16 AM
Sorry to hear that.
Appreciate what you have, help those that need it, smile whenever you can.

SportWagon
July 23rd, 2018, 12:41 PM
The face of an ant. Seen with an electron microscope.Looks surprisingly human, in some way. Or even like one of those goofy costumes from early Doctor Who. But actually even more human.

And condolences, Cam. I actually forgot this was the same thread...

sandydandy
July 24th, 2018, 03:30 AM
Sorry to hear, Cam. :(

George
July 24th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Wow. Interesting new look for the forum. I like it. Looks less like surfing the web at work and more like just another window of work.

Phil_SS
July 24th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Wow. Interesting new look for the forum. I like it. Looks less like surfing the web at work and more like just another window of work.

Que?

Jason
July 24th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Little did we know, George has been browsing GTXF through AOL this whole time.

George
July 24th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Little did we know, George has been browsing GTXF through AOL this whole time.

Not quite, but I do still use the AOL email address I got back when you could only have ten digits in your AOL user name. :D

Here's how the forum has been looking on my Chrome browser at work the last few days.

dodint
July 24th, 2018, 09:14 AM
I think you're posting from another dimension.

Phil_SS
July 24th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Yeah wtf?

FaultyMario
July 24th, 2018, 11:03 AM
FF detects a problem with the forum's certificate. It then lists it as insecure and you have to make an exception to make George's 90s look go away.

Crazed_Insanity
July 24th, 2018, 12:35 PM

SportWagon
July 24th, 2018, 02:24 PM
The problem with the forum's certificate being that it has no certificate? (Only offers http: and not https: )

SkylineObsession
July 24th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Errrm, it does have a certificate, and has done for quite a while...

https://s26.postimg.cc/6khiv5vwp/gtxfcert.jpg

SportWagon
July 24th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Er. 1992?

Ashie
July 24th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Errrm, it does have a certificate, and has done for quite a while...

https://s26.postimg.cc/6khiv5vwp/gtxfcert.jpg

Lol

George
July 25th, 2018, 08:57 AM
FF detects a problem with the forum's certificate. It then lists it as insecure and you have to make an exception to make George's 90s look go away.

Thanks. How can I fix this? I deleted all my history, cookies, and whatever else but I'm still stuck in the '90s.

While I wait, I think I'll log into CompuServe for the latest on the Clinton impeachment proceedings.

FaultyMario
July 25th, 2018, 09:19 AM
First, let go of your Blackflys and that stupid 2-tone bowling shirt.

Drachen596
July 26th, 2018, 04:31 AM
Not sure here anyone follows it at all but Airventure is this week in Wisconsin. This image is how the area looked with planes trying to get in Sunday due to rain storms blocking everything on Saturday.

There was a guy from Appleton, Wisconsin that took off, went there circled with the rest of them to try and land but eventually had to return home to refuel and go back. 5 hours and 10 minutes flight time before the refueling.

The whole process is visual and at some point the following line was said. "Low wing, High wing, Square wing, bi-wing, doesn't matter, everybody turn left... If you've got a wing turn left." There is archived audio of the whole days ATC to planes communications as well.

dodint
July 26th, 2018, 06:17 AM
I know for a fact someone here follows it. ;) Russ posted the flight path of the Appleton guy to chat a bit ago.

MR2 Fan
July 27th, 2018, 07:31 AM
hate people who can't figure out how to blow their nose without sounding like a horn. Co-worker is very sick, but is at work, training someone right near me and every 5 mins....disgusting horn sound

Godson
July 27th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Some of those people have restrictive sinus problems. That horn sound sometimes can't be addressed without surgery.

dodint
July 27th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Bugger off, T.

Godson
July 28th, 2018, 06:03 AM
#alternativefacts

mk
July 28th, 2018, 10:24 PM
State of mind my ass.
(lower back is hurting)

Cam
July 31st, 2018, 10:42 AM
Today, Lori told me that a work colleague has a few months to live because of inoperable cancer. :(

After I heard that he was given 4-6 months to live, he lasted a week. Needless to say, Lori is pretty upset today. I am sad too. I did not know him well, but I met him and his wife numerous times at USC functions. We even hosted them for dinner at our home once. He was a good man. :(

Ashie
July 31st, 2018, 02:32 PM
Sorry Cam. :(

Crazed_Insanity
July 31st, 2018, 05:20 PM
Life is indeed too short to be mean to each other...

I love that William Wallace quote, but to paraphrase, Whether good man or bad, we all die. However not every man truly lives.

Don't just live long, but live full! Hope your friend lived a lovely full life...

FaultyMario
July 31st, 2018, 07:32 PM
Sorry, dude.

Godson
August 4th, 2018, 11:58 PM

21Kid
August 9th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I don't remember if it was in this thread that we were talking about suicide a while back. But, I had mentioned how high the rate was for physicians...

... Earlier this week, one of the 1st year residents at Shannon's hospital took her life.

She leaves behind a husband, who is also a 1st year resident, and a 2 yr old daughter.

Leon
August 9th, 2018, 08:13 PM
It's okay to be not okay.

If any of you fockers is feeling down and wants an ear to just vent about shit, hit me up on Facebook messenger.

Godson
August 9th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Same.

I try damned hard to be available at all times.

mk
August 10th, 2018, 12:20 AM
We have 16 free aerial TV channels.

Primetime yesterday two had minimally acceptable programs, House and Simpsons.

dodint
August 10th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Is it 2007 where you are?

FaultyMario
August 10th, 2018, 05:30 AM
We have free TV

Ah, ya fakking commies!

mk
August 10th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Channel 4, tonight, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Ashie
August 10th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Man 2 year old daughter. :(

FaultyMario
August 10th, 2018, 06:20 PM
...and, the mom. I tried not to think about that.

But yeah, mental health, people. Bill's suicide (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?1633-Overpowered&) really dawned on me that we ought to be aware of ourselves. So, yeah, I'm all ears, for whomever, you guys are family.
Expect me to knock on your virtual doors whenever shit's not making sense for me, I have that much trust in you lot.

Drachen596
August 13th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Boss lady let it slip that she had to be on some big important call today(Sunday) which is super uncommon. With all the crap the customer has been throwing at us lately and the ridiculous requirements I'm wondering if they're doing their best to give reasons to not renew the contract with the 3rd party I work for.

Given the way the last year has gone with our new idiots in charge I can't say I blame them. We were supposedly one of the best but have been really really bad this year because of poor decision making.

Freude am Fahren
August 13th, 2018, 02:56 PM
In yet another small victory against internet companies making things more difficult, I figured out how to call up the source .gif on gihpy. Used to be you could just right click and save or copy link. Then it would always redirect to a main giphy page, but there was an option to download. Now you have to change the subdomain (i think usually media0) to "i".

Drachen596
August 14th, 2018, 01:56 AM
Do you think it would be possible to take an existing aircraft, laser scan the whole thing into a computer and have molds for composite/carbon fiber made using like a CNC machine?

You could make a composite bodied P-51 or something.

mk
August 15th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Tonight at channel 5

21:00 The Lost World: Jurassic Park
23:40 Jurassic Park

Alan P
August 15th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Tonight at channel 5

21:00 The Lost World: Jurassic Park
23:40 Jurassic Park
Why would they do that?

MR2 Fan
August 15th, 2018, 07:31 PM
save the best for last?

Godson
August 15th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Los originales is the only one worth watching.

mk
August 17th, 2018, 12:07 AM
Why would they do that?

21:00 later
14. I
15. II I
16. III II
17. III

mk
August 18th, 2018, 06:26 AM
There seems to be a pattern.

Rambo
21:00 later
20. I
21. II I
22. III II
23. III

Godson
August 18th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Interesting.

Yw-slayer
August 18th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Interesting.

No. THE ILLUMINATI! and LIZARDSD!!!s11!!!

Drachen596
August 19th, 2018, 09:16 PM
At work tonight I check my phone on break and my sister texted me.

She took my mother to the ER and she swas then being sent to the bigger hospitals SNTICU with bleeding in her brain.

Still dont know much though.

Cam
August 20th, 2018, 03:21 AM

speedpimp
August 20th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Sorry Joe.

Drachen596
August 20th, 2018, 11:41 AM
They're saying no surgery needed but she's on a blood thinner since her bp was like 250 something over i think something in the 90s or low 100s.

She'll remain in the icu until she doesnt need the blood thinner.

dodint
August 20th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Glad that it seems they're figuring it out. :up:

George
August 20th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Best wishes for your Mom, Drach.

FaultyMario
August 20th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Yeah, Drachen what they've said. That was a worrysome morning message. Glad she's in good hands.

Crazed_Insanity
August 20th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Wow! Will pray for your mom...

Godson
August 20th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Very sorry to hear Joe.

If you have any medical questions, feel free to fire them my way.

sandydandy
August 21st, 2018, 04:29 AM
That’s rough, man. Sorry to hear. :(

Drachen596
August 21st, 2018, 09:57 PM
BPs down and shes off the extra medication. Shes being allowed to eat and seems to be improving.

She'll have to go to a rehab place once they release her.

So things are thankfully looking better.

Phil_SS
August 22nd, 2018, 04:57 AM
Great to hear. :up:

Hopefully your BP is getting a break now also. :)

Crazed_Insanity
August 22nd, 2018, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear she's getting better! Whew!

I had an uncle who also experienced bleeding in the brain somehow and became unconscious... Docs only managed to keep him alive in a vegetated state, for years, until he finally passed away...

You may also have your fast thinking and acting sister to thank!

MR2 Fan
August 24th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Robin Leach from the 80's TV show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" has died at age 76.

I had been thinking about that show lately. I know there's a show called Cribs which is like a much more young celebrity focused show that came out later....but I think the Lifestyles show was definitely a product of its era and wouldn't be popular today due to the distrust of rich people/income inequality.

speedpimp
August 24th, 2018, 02:10 PM
I thought he was a lot older than that.

balki
August 24th, 2018, 05:24 PM
ditto, wouldn't have guessed he was in his 40's when that show was big

Great voice, though

JoshInKC
August 24th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at how relatively young he was when that show was on as well.

Freude am Fahren
August 25th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I just saw him do an episode of Most Expensivest or something like that on Vice. Him and 2Chains(?). Was kinda hilarious.

Drachen596
August 30th, 2018, 04:36 AM
So shes out of ICU and the hospital they had her in. She's been transferred to the rehab wing at the hospital where she went to the ER at.

They're saying it was a stroke now. She was having difficulty with time frames last i saw her. Not remembering or at least not being sure of the day of the week or anything she'd been told recently. I had to correct her a couple times on when a friend of the family was going to go visit her.

This all sucks. I honestly hate hospitals and having to repeat things two or three times is frustrating as well. I'm just hoping she's home soon.

Alan P
August 30th, 2018, 06:33 AM
So shes out of ICU and the hospital they had her in. She's been transferred to the rehab wing at the hospital where she went to the ER at.

They're saying it was a stroke now. She was having difficulty with time frames last i saw her. Not remembering or at least not being sure of the day of the week or anything she'd been told recently. I had to correct her a couple times on when a friend of the family was going to go visit her.

This all sucks. I honestly hate hospitals and having to repeat things two or three times is frustrating as well. I'm just hoping she's home soon.

Might be an ideas to get her a diary so she can write it down (or have it written down for her)? I'm sure it's very frustrating for her too.