PDA

View Full Version : GT86

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Freude am Fahren
October 10th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Just got a check engine light yesterday. Checked it with Torque, it was P0420, which is bad reading from the rear O2. So bad cat or sensor.

I cleared the code with torque app, and drove to lunch without problems. But when I started it back up and drove back to work, I noticed a low/bouncing idle, and a lot of hesitation in the first part of the throttle movement. Only drove it once since the clear, so we'll see after work if it comes back to life more normally.

thesameguy
October 10th, 2016, 01:40 PM
IME, 0420 is virtually always, truly the cat, but it's rarely, occasionally a wiring or MAF/MAP/O2/O2 sensor issue. Seems like no matter what it should be covered by the Federal 8yr/80k warranty, so you should be fine!

Freude am Fahren
October 10th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Yeah, not worried about the code, just the odd behavior since clearing it. I wonder if Toque completely reset the learning the ECU does.

Kchrpm
October 10th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Maybe it was just the one I heard, but I don't think these things are done any favors by loud exhausts.

thesameguy
October 10th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Yeah, not worried about the code, just the odd behavior since clearing it. I wonder if Toque completely reset the learning the ECU does.

Not sure about all the learning, but IME a reset does undo some of it. I was just remarking on that last night as I had to clear the CEL from the Santa Fe and it drives demonstrably different for the first 10-20 miles after doing that. I don't understand why the logic has to be "start over" rather than "start from last known good." I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.

That said, low/bouncing idle and hesitation at tip in is consistent with a mixture problem, or more specifically a mixture problem reported by the O2 sensor. Given the P0420, You might genuinely have an issue.

Godson
October 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM
I've had a bad o2 sensor act exactly like that.

I've also had a bad cat act exactly like that...

Random
October 10th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Maybe it was just the one I heard, but I don't think these things are done any favors by loud exhausts.

They are pretty blatty...kind of a generic 4-cyl sound, thanks to the equal-length headers.

Adding an intake improves things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFEJUbMyw1w

thesameguy
October 10th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Needs more turbo.

My $0.02.

The359
October 10th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Most everyone who doesn't autocross puts unequal headers on for the Subaru rumble. I'd wager the one Keith heard has UELs.

Kchrpm
October 11th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Wait, so he changed the headers specifically to get that sound? :|

The359
October 11th, 2016, 06:56 AM
If you mean the stereotypical Subaru rumble, yes.

Kchrpm
October 11th, 2016, 07:10 AM
It was the sound of him accelerating that sounded bad, the idle was loud enough to notice but I don't remember it sounding "bad" like the acceleration phase.

Freude am Fahren
October 11th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Yeah, a lot of people choose UEL for the sound, but they still get performance gains. Changing the header can open up quite a bit of power. They leave some of that power on the table with UEL.

The359
October 11th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Almost everyone I know in the PA86 Club that has changed their headers, has UELs.

The359
February 17th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Soooo, I did a thing.

https://scontent.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16722501_10101789098933457_8233325863003090365_o.j pg?oh=8c033ccac3e6185cd8bdf4914fe4ccbc&oe=5934FF51

Traded in the '13 BRZ for a '17 BRZ Series.Yellow. Manual transmission this time around, as it's the only way the Series.Yellow comes. The suspension already feels so much better, haven't really tried out the Brembos at all. It's also a much nicer place to be on the inside now, the interior look and materials seem far superior to the old car.

The pictures also do not do the color justice. They wash it out, it is *much* brighter in person.

https://scontent.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16716291_10101789513747167_4690863297802158252_o.j pg?oh=cc7bed8f1b1b63edce321b2670818814&oe=593093B1

https://scontent.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16722664_10101789513772117_7635798689089667494_o.j pg?oh=0af27b644369357c6985405e26dfea1a&oe=594B6F0A

https://scontent.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16797326_10101789513742177_2870453613895828290_o.j pg?oh=7bf11bea84dd9b6945c6d135b11221d8&oe=58FEF88A

thesameguy
February 17th, 2017, 09:09 AM
BANANARZ!

The359
February 17th, 2017, 09:11 AM
"Yellow BRZ" sounds like "Yellow Submarine" ;)

Kchrpm
February 17th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Nicely done, young man :up:

balki
February 17th, 2017, 09:32 AM
what's the readout to the right of the tach?

Leon
February 17th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Tweety bird! Looks good.

The359
February 17th, 2017, 09:53 AM
what's the readout to the right of the tach?

All kinds of stuff.

On the left side of it, inside the center "dial", is a duplicate MPH readout, same as the old car had, and the fuel gauge which is now completely digital. Cruise control lights are also in there.

On the right side is various information screens that you can switch through with the steering wheel buttons.

First set that you can scroll through are instant MPG, average MPG, miles to empty, trip odometer, etc. Also three readouts for battery voltage, oil and water temperature.

Second set is performance screens, a G-Meter (slow), a "Dyno" readout which you see in the picture above (Hey, that power dip is still there...) with a line that moves based on throttle input, and a timer.

Third set is various options, including setting the rev light, startup screen, and reseting the fuel averages. I believe it also allows you to receive text messages although I have not tested this yet.

Odometer and outside temperature are always displayed at the bottom.

IMOA
February 17th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Same concept as the 9X1 series porsche gauge clusters which I really like.

Apart from the cosmetic stuff what comes on these? Brembos and wheels, changes to suspension? Anything in the exhaust or intake?

The359
February 17th, 2017, 03:29 PM
The intake on the manual 2017s is now metal instead of plastic (the Toyota-Subaru D4-S plate is gone), there are a lot of internal changes to the motor but I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head. Automatics keep the 2012-2016 motor.

Exhaust is unchanged however.

Freude am Fahren
February 17th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Oh, I thought they had a new exhaust manifold for the manuals.

The performance package (found on the Series Yellow, but available on the limited models) adds Brembos, 17" wheels, and upgrades Sachs dampers. Not sure if the yellow has anything on top of that.

Only things I don't like about the new model are the wing and the center console. I don't like the HVAC knobs/buttons, nor the gloss black surround. Just doesn't seem to fit. Other than that, it seems like a really nice little facelift.

Yw-slayer
February 17th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Whatever the pros and cons of the facelifted model, he now has a Manual. That in itself is a massive upgrade.

The359
February 17th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Don't knock the automatic, it was good fun too. :P

Yw-slayer
February 17th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Sorry brah, I have driven both and I would have never bought the auto :P unless I were physically unable to drive manual.

Mirage
February 18th, 2017, 03:42 AM
Congrats on the upgrade.

Looked at pretty much that same car yesterday with my friend whose first BRZ was ruined by a deer, hes hoping to get back into one this summer and was quite excited about the changes to the '17 but hes holding out to see if the '18's get a recaro option. That yellow is definitely very bright in person, pictures don't do it any justice.

The359
February 18th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Congrats on the upgrade.

Looked at pretty much that same car yesterday with my friend whose first BRZ was ruined by a deer, hes hoping to get back into one this summer and was quite excited about the changes to the '17 but hes holding out to see if the '18's get a recaro option. That yellow is definitely very bright in person, pictures don't do it any justice.

It's so weird, I was standing there the other night holding my phone up to take a picture, and just looking at the phone and at the car it was amazing how much the picture dulled the color.

The359
February 18th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Oh, I thought they had a new exhaust manifold for the manuals.

Engine changes for 2017:
* Buffed and polished valve stems
* Lower friction finish on the camshaft
* Additional block stiffening
* Aluminium intake manifold replaces the plastic manifold
* Redesigned airbox and intake piping. This also means, annoyingly, the air filter size has changed.
* Exhaust headers are now 2.3mm wider on the branches and 3.6mm wider at the dual pipe
* Final gear ratio is now 4.300 versus 4.100

The performance package (found on the Series Yellow, but available on the limited models) adds Brembos, 17" wheels, and upgrades Sachs dampers. Not sure if the yellow has anything on top of that.

The Performance Pack wheels are 17x7.5, versus the stock wheels being 17x7. The Series.Yellow wheels are black, all other Performance Pack cars have them in gray. And apparently the Brembos are the same units on the current WRX STI, just repainted red.

Only things I don't like about the new model are the wing and the center console. I don't like the HVAC knobs/buttons, nor the gloss black surround. Just doesn't seem to fit. Other than that, it seems like a really nice little facelift.

The wing is a bit of a disappointment, the old one looked so much better, especially with the STI Gurney Flap attached. That said, the near rear wing is aluminium instead of plastic.

I personally love the new HVAC buttons, they look so much better than the cheap plastic on the old model. They match the rest of Subaru's lineup now as well, as everything else they make has metal/chrome HVAC controls. The Stereo/Nav is also the same as all other Subarus with the piano black surround, but the surround on the HVAC is all fake carbon fiber, which again looks better than the cheap plastic from before. It's also repeated around the door buttons.

dodint
February 18th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Nice work. :up:

Mirage
February 18th, 2017, 11:48 AM
It's so weird, I was standing there the other night holding my phone up to take a picture, and just looking at the phone and at the car it was amazing how much the picture dulled the color.

I know your pics make it look like that pale yellow on the bugeye who's when it's really eye popping in person.

Random
February 18th, 2017, 12:46 PM
:up:

The359
February 18th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Found one, annoying, downside. The car no longer comes with a navigation system built in from Subaru. If you want navigation, you have to download Subaru Starlink to your phone (iOS and Android only), and use an app through their to download and subscribe to Magellan Navigation.

Meaning if you don't have your phone in the car, you can't use navigation.

novicius
February 18th, 2017, 03:02 PM
#yellowtime :up: :up:

Freude am Fahren
February 18th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Found one, annoying, downside. The car no longer comes with a navigation system built in from Subaru. If you want navigation, you have to download Subaru Starlink to your phone (iOS and Android only), and use an app through their to download and subscribe to Magellan Navigation.

Meaning if you don't have your phone in the car, you can't use navigation.

Yeah, I think they got rid of it a year or two ago even. I've used the onboard navigation once in four years, basically because it was the first time, and I didn't know how bad it was. Since then I only use it once in a while when driving in unknown areas to just show a map of the area. It's nice to have a back up though if your phone isn't there/working.

Even the OEM on the Outback with all the bells and whistles isn't very good at directions. The interface is much better though.

The359
February 18th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Yeah, from what I can see in literature, there is a 7.0" screen in most Subarus which includes nav, and the 6.2" screen in the BRZ that doesn't have nav.

I personally never had a problem with the nav, other than its insistence to divert you off the highway any time there is traffic.

IMOA
February 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM
OK, cool, I like it. I think a lot are small changes but the brakes are a pretty big improvement, especially if something like a supercharger is in the future somewhere. We don't get models like this in Aus, it's basically unchanged here (at least I think so anyway) so it's nice to see some proper bits being put on cars in the US.

The359
February 19th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I think this is the first Brembos on a 86 outside of the BRZ tS in Japan. On the flip side, you guys get access to all the STI suspension parts that we don't have over here. The only STI parts I can get from a dealership are the bodykit and the black 15-spoke wheels.

TRD does offer their full range of suspension, intakes, exhausts, and wheel accessories in the US on the new 86, including upgraded pads, but still just the two-piston calipers.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2017, 06:41 PM
yes, I'm really hoping for a super/turbo charger somewhere, but then I don't think Toyota wants to do it if a more powerful 86 competes better with their upcoming Supra? who knows.

samoht
February 22nd, 2017, 01:02 AM
Well, in the good old days they ran the Celica GT4 and MR2 turbos alongside the Supra; I think they would have appealed to different sorts of buyers. Similarly, the relatively lightweight / economy interior of the GT86 should have a distinct appeal to the more GT-like Supra.

The359
March 6th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Off to a good start Planned on buying a bunch of STI stuff for the car to mimic the look of the BRZ tS in Japan, only to realize the STI wheels sold in the US wont clear my fancy schmancy Brembo calipers... :smh: May have to import the wider STI wheels from Japan.

Also imported an STI front grill badge only to find out it wont fit the 2017 grill. :mad:

So 0 for 2 on that front. My STI start button from the old car should work though...

Leon
March 6th, 2017, 10:17 PM
New Top Gear has a GT86 as the celebrity car.

Yw-slayer
March 7th, 2017, 12:54 AM

Best decision EVAR.

In fact, I think I'm going to go drive mine tonight.

Leon
March 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
It will mean considerably more spins :)

IMOA
March 7th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Should see some bigger gaps at the front as well as you driving it well really rewards on the stopwatch.

MR2 Fan
March 9th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Crap, I might even watch an episode!

Yw-slayer
March 9th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Or gaps because people are having too much fun driving it for fun, rather than for Speed!

Waiting for some grinning celeb to say that he prefers it to his Merc and that he is going to buy one.

Yw-slayer
June 13th, 2017, 02:42 PM
http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/06/mca-toyota-86/

thesameguy
June 13th, 2017, 03:23 PM
I really feel like Toyota is missing the boat not releasing something like this. It would be something TRD that actually mattered.

Yw-slayer
June 13th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Although that faux-Lexus grille is horrible.

CudaMan
June 14th, 2017, 08:14 PM
I kinda like that car. Props for doing some unique things. I bet it's fun as hell.

-

I've driven a handful of these cars on the autox course, they're fun but for the most part they haven't wowed me. I drove one a couple weeks ago that wowed me. It seemed like just another STX car from the outside, but it was so well done that it was by far the best handling, most rewarding FRS/BRZ/GT86 I've driven. The funny thing was the young guy who built it claimed to not really know what he was doing, he just threw some parts on. Sometimes you get lucky. I told him I'd come to him for setup advice if these cars ever get cheap enough for me to buy.

Freude am Fahren
June 15th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I like the swap. Hate the body kit. It just looks like the stupid rocket bunny kit that someone screwed up the molds. The grill is ugly too, IMO, but I think it looks bad on Lexuses too.

Godson
June 17th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Odd, I like the grill, it classes it up.

thesameguy
June 18th, 2017, 12:10 PM
x2 I actually think the current Lexus styling is terrible, but oddly think it works really well on this 86.

IMOA
June 21st, 2017, 11:54 PM
Because I bumped into it here's a video of the MCA 86 doing laps at Lakeside (tight, dangerous, goat track kind of track)

https://youtu.be/fg8HJJgJ3OM

Yw-slayer
June 22nd, 2017, 12:08 AM
That thing shifts.

Freude am Fahren
June 26th, 2017, 07:42 AM
*turbo noises*

:assclown:

Yw-slayer
November 8th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I went for a good 40 min drove last night after finding out that the tyre pressure in my rears was quite different from that in the fronts, and fixing it. What a pleasure!! :up:

Leon
November 8th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Spent a lot of the weekend racing, then motorkhana'ing (slaloms and figure 8s etc), then autocross around a racetrack in the 86.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FnZiJomi0&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xl4LNIkXaQ&t=5s

Did pretty well overall, and won my class (naturally aspirated rear drive) in all three sporting disciplines.

However, as my 86 is the povo spec, with the small brakes, and I've been running Endless front pads in the car so that it stops, I've finally warped the front rotors. So heavy braking was difficult over the weekend.

I've done a few events in the car involving heavy braking (maybe three or four race day sort of things), and I'm murder on brakes. So it isn't too much of a surprise.

Rather than get new front rotors which I will no doubt just cook again, I've picked up a full set of the bigger GT model brakes (different discs and calipers front and rear, but weirdly, same brake pads so I can keep using my hot front pads) to go into the car before my next event in a couple of weeks. So it's still just OE brakes, merely the slightly larger OE brake option available in NZ.

CudaMan
November 8th, 2017, 11:34 PM
So smooooth.

Leon
November 9th, 2017, 09:25 AM
So smooooth.

That coming from you, just made me tingly in my man parts.

;)

I do try to be smooth as possible, as I figure that it is nicer on the machinery (and this car is too expensive to bend or break). Also, I'm used to driving a stock 1600cc Corolla, where momentum is everything.

The cars passing me on the track video are both race cars. The Corolla "FXGT" is running a 7AGTE (1800cc + turbo), and the Starlet is a rocketship 1300cc turbo putting out about 220kw at the wheels, lapping something like 8 seconds faster than me .... the Starlet guy is also building gradually, a twin engined Starlet turbo, because he wants something he can beat Evo's in at hillclimbs on a mode regular basis. He's a bit insane.

CudaMan
November 11th, 2017, 01:39 AM
Isn't that about typical for car guys in your part of the world though? ;)

Leon
November 11th, 2017, 09:56 AM
It isn't mandatory, but is encouraged.

Old rear rotor solid, new one not solid.

Big difference in size between old poverty spec, and new GT spec fronts.

CudaMan
November 11th, 2017, 10:04 AM
They're so cute!

stephenb
December 5th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Parked just down the road from my place of work. I do like the look of these every time I see them, the promo livery on this one didn't hurt either.

MR2 Fan
December 5th, 2017, 11:16 AM
:up:

Snake Plissken
December 26th, 2017, 03:05 PM
That is a really cool livery. I honestly haven't been decisive enough to change much on the exterior of mine yet.

Freude am Fahren
December 29th, 2017, 05:23 PM
So I installed a Turbo kit last week.

Still in the tuning process, but I can tell it's going to be so much more enjoyable, right up until it blows up :D (then comes the LS swap)

Haven't even given it all its got yet, nevermind when I get E85 in it....

Thinking about a Crosstrek to replace it as a daily driver, and keep it as the 'fun' car only.

Leon
December 29th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Get an oil cooler ... a whole bunch of the local conversions have killed engines with added boost :)

Freude am Fahren
December 29th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Yeah, being in Florida, that was a must-have. I drove a bit before installing it, and saw temps around 210f around town, 230 highway, and we had cool temps at the time (high 60's-low 70's). After installing, 170 highway, around town, never above 200, and it's been hot (mid-80's). When summer comes around, if I'm still dailying it, I'll probably be looking into a vented hood as well (it's a front mount tubro).

I had installed it with the turbo, but the sandwich plate required a different filter, so I had to wait to hook it up.

Only issue now is, I'm at the point my tuner asked for a WOT pull in 3rd, but I'm only seeing around 9psi, when I should see 10, so I have to check for a boost leak.

Yw-slayer
December 29th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Nice. But why Crosstrek? Might as well get an Outback.

Freude am Fahren
December 29th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Well for the same options a Crosstrek is like $6k cheaper. Only thing the Outback really has feature wise is the power tailgate and obviously more space. But the Crosstrek is plenty big for me. Still just mulling it over though.

Plus if I got an Outback, I'd be the 4th family member to get one :lol:

I kinda want to wait, since rumors are that there will be a turbo Crosstrek in 2019 or 2020 (WRX engine, or new one?). But who knows, plus the price could put it out of my budget for a 2nd car.

Yw-slayer
December 29th, 2017, 06:16 PM
If you wait till then, you can get a used Crosstrek or Outback for less!

Godson
December 29th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Buy a truck to tow the 86 to the track.

Yw-slayer
May 18th, 2018, 12:52 AM
https://www.facebook.com/enjoyyourcar/videos/2031331557107107/

I doubt anyone apart from vkeks and I understand this, which is basically an Ode to the 86, but in summary the highlights of the lyrics are:

I only have 200hp
Everyone (Golf R, GTi) is faster than I am including going up hill
But they worry about losing control and overturning
I turn off air-conditioning, hit 7300rpm
The tail gets loose
No fear of dying

So, pretty much why I love this car.

Freude am Fahren
May 18th, 2018, 04:08 PM
That air conditioning line hits deep.

Godson
May 18th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Yw-slayer
May 21st, 2018, 11:31 PM
I listened to it in more detail (and read the subtitles in more detail) then realised the air-conditioning line was inaccurate.

On the plus side, I found the full interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaAKwUelAyA&feature=youtu.be

To summarise, the guy is a pilot and lives in Guangzhou. 5 years ago he had a heavily modded 86. He swapped it for a 1M which he owned for a few years. Then he realised that his "first girlfriend", unmodified, was the best for him so went back to a stock 86 because of {why everyone says why it's great and because it's not expensive to run, maintain, people don't charge you more money just because it's a BMW etc.}. He said the only cars he has ever preferred to date are the Elise and Exige. And because not everyone can drive one or wants to drive one, he wanted to sing a song about driving one so that everyone could enjoy it anyway.

Also the last bit is "7300 砌佢老味" which means "7300 stepping [Accelerating] past your mother".

The359
September 18th, 2018, 10:21 PM
So, I did a thing, finally convinced by a friend. SCCA Track Night in America at Pocono. In the rain the entire time. For my first time ever on a track. :|

2:07 was my fastest lap in a later session (I'm still editing video), my friend's FR-S is turbocharged with some suspension and brake upgrades but doesn't know racing lines very well and was on worn Super Sports, she did a 2:03.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIeGRzHBDOg

samoht
September 19th, 2018, 04:50 AM
Nice one! In some ways I like wet trackdays, the speeds are lower and you can 'play' with the balance a bit more easily.

dodint
September 19th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Very cool that you got out, sorry about the rain. I've been wanting to do one of the Pocono nights for two years but taking two days off work for it has been an issue. Hopefully next season.

What did you think of the overall program experience? Would you do it again?

dodint
September 19th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Nice one! In some ways I like wet trackdays, the speeds are lower and you can 'play' with the balance a bit more easily.

Keeps the high hp cars off your ass. Had a really wet TNiA last year in the Mustang. All the big hp cars were on slicks, was carving right around them on street tires until a dry line formed. One of my best memories from running these.

The359
September 19th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Very cool that you got out, sorry about the rain. I've been wanting to do one of the Pocono nights for two years but taking two days off work for it has been an issue. Hopefully next season.

What did you think of the overall program experience? Would you do it again?

I thought the program was good. I'd say my only complaint was that the beginner group was the largest group of all, so you had no choice but to be stacked up behind other people on track, especially since Pocono only has three passing zones and I have no power. So going into a lot of the heavy braking zones I had no choice but to coast in and take it easy. The girl I was with in the intermediate group, I rode along with on one of her rides and she could be much more aggressive on braking and acceleration because there were not a lot of cars around, but at the same time I thought she was being too aggressive with it in some places and she could have been faster if she finessed it better.

But other than that the guy in charge and the rest of the SCCA guys were very informative and helpful. The only downside to Pocono is that there is no concessions at the track and of course you're out in the middle of nowhere, so we had to bring food and drink along with us. But I'd definitely do it again, hopefully in the intermediate group so I can try and be more aggressive with the car. I checked the G meter in the car and all my steering was maxed out, but my acceration and deceleration were not even 0.5G.

dodint
September 19th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Bummer, and good to know. PIRC has a food truck that comes out.

The guy in charge is a guy named Jon. I didn't realize until recently that he's in charge of all of it; he attends every single TNiA. I always thought it was ran by local clubs and a guy from national comes out to spot check, but no, they travel around and the same people run every event to ensure consistency. Very cool. Tom O'Gorman was the Novice coach two weeks ago at PIRC; not sure how many events he does personally. He's the PWC TCA champ this year, and as Russ says, was probably wearing blue sunglasses if he was there.

If you're ready I would definitely do Intermediate next time. It's not really about times or flat out skill, just whether or not your point-bys are good and your aware enough to read flags. I think you'd be fine. The SCCA mandate is 25 cars per mile or less, but the TNiA folks try to keep the density lower than that. But it still happens, the Intermediate group at PIRC was unusually slow last time; even with going through the pits multiple times I kept catching the back of a long train.

I will say Advanced is tough without a bunch of horsepower. It shouldn't be that way but with self-classing that's how it works out. You'll get fantastically good at point-bys, though.

Pocono must have been so much fun. I haven't been there since about 1995 so to me it's still just a giant NASCAR complex; really looking forward to getting out there eventually.

The359
September 19th, 2018, 09:18 AM
The novice coach I had was named Paul, young looking guy. There was an SCCA guy doing photography that we talked to off and on but I don't recall his name. And yeah, Paul wasn't local, he took us out on paced laps in a rental car.

The infield was surprisingly good, very smooth and there were concrete curbs on every corner. The only thing I noticed, while riding in the other car, is there must be a bump in the middle of the first corner because her car always lost traction going in there, but on my car I had no problem, and looking at the video we were both doing roughly the same speed, so I don't know what the problem was there. I thought the second section of corners from the back to front stretch were more interesting, you could open the car up and all the corners were different, while the first section was all cookie cutter 3rd gear corners with a slow hairpin at the end.

The tricky part was the transition from infield to oval, there was a concrete patch running across the track where the infield wall would normally be attached to the ground, so it was always bumpy and the grip levels were iffy so I never wanted to push coming off the front and back stretches. I'm sure in the dry it'd all be perfectly fine though.

Here's her final run in a turbocharged FR-S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoWuSTagYE

And my final run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtNieVp2VM

Leon
September 19th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Great that you've had the opportunity to use the car on the track.

They're surprisingly competent even in 100% stock form, well, other than the brake pads, which I found to be made out of cheese and defeat.

The359
September 19th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Great that you've had the opportunity to use the car on the track.

They're surprisingly competent even in 100% stock form, well, other than the brake pads, which I found to be made out of cheese and defeat.

I have the Brembos, so I really want to have an opportunity to really push hard on the brakes.

Leon
September 19th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Ah right, I had the baby brakes, and had to upgrade the front pads to Endless, after I could cook the OE pads into fade within a 90 second street sprint (type of race meeting).

Leon
February 13th, 2019, 06:34 PM
So whose 86 is subject to the valve spring recall?

There are a bunch of horror stories going around in the local club of all the f**k ups having happened due to the dealers "fixing" the cars under recall. Check engine lights, cars randomly stalling, and then yesterday a car dropping its breakfast immediately after the recall (while still at the dealer, not even back to the owner from what I've heard).

I wish I'd heard this prior to dropping my car in for the valve springs to be replaced (engine out, but not heads off) on Wednesday.

Freude am Fahren
February 13th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Mine is. But with the turbo kit, I'm not really sure what to do. I've heard that places will do it, but charge $500+ to uninstall/reinstall it. No thanks, plus I wouldn't trust them to do it right. Alternatively, I could uninstall it myself. Wouldn't be too hard, but I'd have to look into the ability/safety of driving the car on the turbo tune without the turbo. I would think it wouldn't be so bad, unlike the other way around.

Plus side, they could do the plugs and check/replace the DI seals while they're in there.

And I might just not do it. I mean for it to pop up this late, it can't be that likely a failure on lower mileage cars. I have about 55k I think at this point. Plus, I'm thinking about selling it anyway.

Godson
February 13th, 2019, 07:03 PM
I didn't realize yours was boosted

The359
February 13th, 2019, 07:17 PM
My old one would have qualified, but my new car is fine.

That being said I too have heard several local cars blowing motors, typically two weeks after their recall is completed. Many seem to think it is because of Toyota techs working on Subaru engines.

Leon
February 13th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Same diagnosis here too .... unfamiliarity with the product.

Yobbo NZ
February 14th, 2019, 12:48 AM
The recall doesn't look too hard.
The trickiest part looks to be getting the sealant on the front cover correctly.
We've got one coming in on the 25th, luckily I run the workshop now and can sit back and watch how it goes.

MR2 Fan
February 14th, 2019, 05:43 AM
looks like mine is clear since it's a 2014 model.

I might be trading mine soon for something much more useful, storage wise....IF PEOPLE STOP HITTING MY CAR WHILE IT'S PARKED AND LEAVING!!! 3 Times it's been hit while parked and no one leaves a note or anything.

Freude am Fahren
February 14th, 2019, 06:00 PM
From consumer reports: "The company estimates that about 0.1 percent of the recalled models will experience the problem."

I think I'll skip it.

Yw-slayer
February 14th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Mine, but it’s going to Subaru so I assume it’ll be ok.

Phil_SS
February 15th, 2019, 07:49 AM
My Impreza had it. I took it in to the Subaru dealer a few weeks ago and had it fixed. {shrug}

Leon
April 17th, 2019, 10:35 PM

Running the Subaru H6

The359
April 18th, 2019, 07:11 AM
How much power?

Yw-slayer
April 18th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Over 9,000?

dodint
April 18th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Nice.

Leon
April 18th, 2019, 03:47 PM
How much power?

Something around the 250kw at the wheels I think.

It's a built motor, but still naturally aspirated.

The359
April 19th, 2019, 07:08 AM
I have spoken to some people who have suggested the thought of putting the flat did in the car, but had never seen any actually done. I figured in stock for the power output would be disappointing, but if its built then it's probably much better than a built NA FA20.

Leon
April 19th, 2019, 04:16 PM
He has dropped a fairly decent amount of coin into the engine, but he also does endurance rallying in it, so it's going to need to last, rather than being a max output beast.

One of my car club guys has put the 2GRFE (V6 3500 vvti etc) into his one, and it has more grunt than the H6 one does, but it took him about three years to get it all to work. The H6 went in a lot easier by all accounts.

The rally I went to that I took the above photo at, had I think three GC chassis WRX's with the H6 transplanted into it. They sounded AWESOME, and now I really want one, because it's the 2.0 turbo Subaru 4 pot that I really hate, and think is nothing but trouble. Having had three of them, I've just grown to dislike, and mistrust them. Two of them had probable headgasket issues, and the third had a persistent misfire, and occasional check engine light.

Yw-slayer
April 19th, 2019, 05:07 PM
I love the 2.0 turbo four.

DelSolMan
April 20th, 2019, 02:30 AM
https://www.motoring.com.au/new-toyota-86-and-subaru-brz-could-switch-to-toyota-platform-118087/

New Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ could switch to Toyota platform

Freude am Fahren
April 21st, 2019, 08:27 AM
The twins are dead!

Only Subaru will continue with the BRZ!

Toyota will have a second gen 86, but they may split from Subaru!

There will be a second gen but based on Toyota!

Every month there seems to be a new rumor that goes against the previous one.

Yw-slayer
September 27th, 2019, 08:11 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2019-09-27/toyota-and-subaru-agree-on-new-business-and-capital-alliance

Rumours are dead. Truth is here. BRZ 4 EVAH

samoht
September 28th, 2019, 04:01 AM
:thumbs:

I like the announcement. While it's sad that Subaru are decreasingly independent, I think the tie-up with Toyota, especially under Akio Toyoda, is about as good an outcome as can be hoped for - they're working together to tackle the challenges of (a) new technology leading to autonomous cars and (b) preserving the joy of driving into the future.

And a new GT86/BRZ is great news - now we can start speculating about the powertrain !!!

Yw-slayer
September 28th, 2019, 04:07 AM
Hopefully a FA20DIT derivative. And RWD of course.

Freude am Fahren
September 28th, 2019, 07:40 AM
I've seen speculation of a tuned down version of the FA24 from the Ascent (and new Legacy/Outback) with about 225hp. I'm sure that based on entirely 0 actual facts though. In those applications it makes 260hp, so I don't know why they've tune it down???

I would think that engine tuned UP with about 300hp would be perfect for a new 86/BRZ, and keep it below the Supra in terms of straight line performance. They say they want it to be better than the Supra in handling though, so maybe no Prius tires this time?

The359
September 28th, 2019, 03:27 PM
The FA24 is turbocharged, so you're going to lose numbers when you lose the turbo. However a lot of the adjustment is for the fact that the FA24 is more of a torquey motor since it goes in Subaru's SUV, they want another high-revving engine like the 86 currently has.. It'll likely be similar to the 86's FA20D and the WRX FA20F, neither of which share any components other than basic architectural design.

CudaMan
September 28th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I just hope they give it more character this time around. The Twins have about the dullest way of getting through the quarter mile as quickly as they do. :)

Yw-slayer
September 29th, 2019, 06:16 AM
I live my life one touge at a time, not one quarter mile at a time! :hard:

Leon
September 29th, 2019, 03:13 PM
I'm basically never driving mine these days. It just lives in the garage under a dust cover.

That's the advantage / disadvantage of having one garage, narrow driveway, and too much fricken car juggling required to get to the 86.

Contemplating if after 5 years of ownership, it is time to move the car on.

Freude am Fahren
September 29th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Oh, I didn't realize it would be without turbo, but that makes sense.

Speaking of, I've actually been kinda enjoying mine again. It was a relatively cool evening the other day, and it was just a great drive, even if the roads here are boring.

Yw-slayer
September 29th, 2019, 10:51 PM
It's still an enjoyable car to drive, except when pootling around in stop-start urban traffic. Then again, I can't really think of any cars which are enjoyable to drive when pootling around in stop-start urban traffic.

The359
September 30th, 2019, 06:20 AM
I went for a nice drive through the middle of nowhere in central PA this weekend and the car was just a joy to drive for the entire 5-6 hours or so.

Leon
September 30th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Maybe I need to roadtrip in mine again to remind me why I own it. I do have a weekend away planned in a few weeks, so maybe I take that car, even if it's maybe going to be a bit sketchy to park as I will be going down to road ends on gravel roads to take photos of rally cars zooming past.

Godson
September 30th, 2019, 02:58 PM
I need to convince someone to let me track one.

Yw-slayer
October 1st, 2019, 08:34 AM
Yes, the roads here were quite clear of traffic tonight (although there was a lot of rubbish on them) for, uh, various reasons. So I just drove around town and enjoyed myself in it. Such a great car.

dodint
October 7th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Throughout the year at Time Trials National Tour I've been gridded near twins and have a healthy respect for them. They're classed two classes down (S6) but consistently run faster than the S4 class. Cool cars with a devoted following.

The359
October 7th, 2019, 07:52 AM
I almost wonder if this will turn out like the S2000, where the newer motor will have better torque, but people will still prefer the first generation's revs.

MR2 Fan
October 18th, 2019, 09:51 AM
So the stock window tint doesn't survive well in Florida heat. The drivers side window has delaminated and I've removed part of it, but haven't finished peeling the remaining adhesive yet...back window also peeling badly so I started removing that...and man is that a PITA to get to. I still don't know why they didn't make this a hatchback, it would have made the car SO much more usable

Freude am Fahren
October 18th, 2019, 03:43 PM
There's stock window film? Must be a dealer option or something. Pretty sure mine doesn't have that.

I thought all OEM tint was baked in.

MR2 Fan
October 18th, 2019, 04:15 PM
There's stock window film? Must be a dealer option or something. Pretty sure mine doesn't have that.

I thought all OEM tint was baked in.

I guess it could have been put on at the dealer or later, since I'm not the original owner....all I know is that it's crap

Godson
October 18th, 2019, 06:54 PM
OEM bakes theirs in because of that exact issue.

Yours is most likely a cheap aftermarket

Yw-slayer
October 18th, 2019, 07:21 PM
I have no window tint. Just get yours removed.

samoht
October 19th, 2019, 03:00 AM
I still don't know why they didn't make this a hatchback, it would have made the car SO much more usable

AIUI it's basically a trade-off between body rigidity and capacity. The more you rigidly brace across between the two suspension turrets, the stiffer the bodyshell is (for a given weight), but the smaller items you can carry.

For example the FD3S and Z33 are both 'hatchbacks', but both have fixed braces joining the tops of the rear suspension turrets. Neither is very useable in terms of boot space. Yesterday I just managed to squeeze my wife's smaller bicycle with front wheel removed into the 350Z, so I could drop it at the dealer for a service, but it wasn't easy to get it in, and the bike was also a bit small for me to ride to work ;-) The 180SX had no such brace and was pretty good for carrying bicycles, but was less rigid.

In some ways if you're going to brace it anyway you may as well just have a separate boot with a ski hatch, I guess, as on the GT86.

Yobbo NZ
October 19th, 2019, 03:22 AM
For the record, you could fit an adult mountain bike in the boot of an S14. Removed both wheels, fold the back seat down, and poke the forks through the small hole designed for... no idea, skis maybe? The boot closed, only just.

Freude am Fahren
October 19th, 2019, 09:11 AM
I've done the same with a 58cm roadbike in the BRZ, only removing one wheel.

Leon
October 19th, 2019, 06:38 PM

Took the 86 out of the garage. Might have been first start in 8 weeks or so?

Did a lot of a drive.

Washed all the things.

Put it back in the garage under a cover.

The359
March 7th, 2020, 07:26 PM
https://youtu.be/VOld0knpmxo

Posting this up because it's something some friends of mine and fellow members of our Philadelphia 86 club did. Drove from Pennsylvania to California, did a track day at Laguna Seca, then back to Pennsylvania over two weeks in their 86s.

Yw-slayer
March 8th, 2020, 03:09 AM
COOL.

XHawkeye
March 10th, 2020, 05:21 AM
Nice video, who ever planned the trip did great job. Keeping that many cars/people headed in the same direction for 17 days is a lotta work.

Yw-slayer
March 10th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Amusingly enough, I believe I have yet to break 19,000km on my car.

The359
March 10th, 2020, 07:12 AM
The whole trip was my friend Kirsten's idea, she planned the whole thing out. It was something she always wanted to do and just invited whomever to come along. Had about a 20 page itenerary with every stop pretty well planned. Some people only did parts of the trip for various reasons, so the people changed over the 17 days.

Leon
March 10th, 2020, 11:44 AM
I've not been an 86 owner for a couple of months now.

It was a good 5.5 years though :)

XHawkeye
December 18th, 2020, 10:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75aNI3L3NI