PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

speedpimp
February 10th, 2019, 02:05 AM
Went to the movies and saw Cold Pursuit. Wasn’t really that great. Felt like a dark comedy at times rather than an action thriller. Plenty of groans and sighs were heard from the audience throughout.

Seeing it this morning. Looks like it will be Taken In A Plow Truck.

Freude am Fahren
February 10th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Finished the first season of Yellowstone on Paramount (was Spike/TNN). Pretty good show. Definitely a bit over dramatic, but still enjoyable, and beautifully made. And like they just do full on nudity on regular cable now?

sandydandy
February 12th, 2019, 08:44 AM
I watched Abducted In Plain Sight last night. Very fucking grim subject matter and what are possibly the stupidest parents ever. Saw that last night. The parents were unbelievable!

Dicknose
February 12th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Just finishing Russian Doll on netflix. It is very good.
Had read great reviews and was keen to see it...
Watched the first 3 eps and damn it felt like hard work. Was waiting for it to grab me, but I found most of the people annoying - maybe Im too old and not into urban party scene. I just dont care whats going on and man I never want to see that party scene again.
So Ive given up - not for me.

speedpimp
February 12th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Saw that last night. The parents were unbelievable!

Understatement of the century, bruv.

JoshInKC
February 12th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Had read great reviews and was keen to see it...
Watched the first 3 eps and damn it felt like hard work. Was waiting for it to grab me, but I found most of the people annoying - maybe Im too old and not into urban party scene. I just dont care whats going on and man I never want to see that party scene again.
So Ive given up - not for me.

I get it. I found pretty much everybody at the party (with the exception of Natasha Lyonne and the lesbian with the short grey hair) to be really irritating. I was onboard from the beginning, just from NL's performance, but I can totally see why it might not connect with others. It is real weird after all.

Dicknose
February 12th, 2019, 09:38 PM
I also find it odd that she is a programmer but doesnt fall into my spectrum of people I know who program. Not that I have a monopoly over how programmers should be... but she seems so distant from any programmer Ive met.

And while Im happy to watch shows where I dont feel like Id fit in or I can even relate to them, this one just seems to grate that little bit more. I guess its partially the amazing reviews... do reviewers relate to that scene far more than me (probably!) but it feels like such an alien word and I cant connect to any of the people.
Maybe I should give one more ep a try (and add some alcohol...)

sandydandy
February 13th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Finally watched Moneyball yesterday after many years of it sitting in 'My List'. Thought it was thoroughly fantastic from start to finish.

Later in the evening I watched Await Further Instructions, which I thought was meh. Don't know why the critics have rated it so high. Hated the racial undertone and the daughter especially was annoying as fuck. The actor who played Walder Frey from GoT was in it, he was pretty good. Other than that, shit movie.

George
February 21st, 2019, 12:21 PM
I always think saying this makes me sound like a much more important person than I am, but I just don't have time to sit and watch TV without doing anything else at the same time.

So there I was last night after supper in the basement with an hour or so before it was time to get the kids to bed. I was cleaning up some stuff in the basement, trying to get rid of clutter, putting old things in the pile to give away, and that sort of stuff.

Typically I turn the TV on in such situations, not to sit down and give it my full attention, but just to have something else going on while I'm down there. We don't have a cable box in the basement at this time - just a digital antenna and a wifi connection. Broadcast TV was a crappy as usual, so I flipped on Netflix just for something to keep me company. Star Trek, maybe.

I found Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. My wife bought her book a few years back, I've read it myself, and I was actually tidying up right then. Perfect, I thought.

Nope. What a complete waste of time! I watch the first ten to fifteen minutes and saw NO tidying up at all. It was all about a young couple with two kids and a cluttered house. Hey, that sounds familiar (except for the young couple part).

Granted, I didn't see the entire episode, and maybe - just maybe - I'll pick up again where I left off last night, but what I saw of the show was about the couple, not the cleaning! We got a tour of their house and then all kinds of "how do you FEEL about this clutter" interviews with the couple. They guy talked about how he was tired from working all the time, and the lady talked about how she didn't like to do laundry, and so forth. On and on. Yack, yack, yack. Bellyache, bellyache, bellyache. NO TIDYING UP.

Come on. That is crap.

What I want to see is a cluttered house, then the cleanup process and the reasons why things were gotten rid of or organized in certain ways, and then a couple quick shots of the cleaned-up house. Done. On to the next one. I don't need to see the people who live there, much less hear about their feelings on the subject.

If I wanted to watch a soap opera, I'd turn on Days Of Our Lives or General Hospital, not Netflix.

Sheesh. Next time I'll watch cheesy old TV shows on the broadcast channel. Columbo never fails to entertain, especially the older ones. And CHiPs is still fun, in a cheesy and nostalgic way. Just the other night I saw an episode of CHiPs with Bruce Jenner guest-starring as one of the motorcycle officers along with Ponch and Jon. Now that's quality TV.

dodint
February 21st, 2019, 12:23 PM
You did better than me. I made it about 15 seconds into the preview and then went onto the next thing. Ended up watching Bull Durham since neither Ash nor I had ever seen it all the way through.

George
February 21st, 2019, 12:29 PM
Coster wears the Baggiest Pants Ever in that movie. Seriously.

If he'd had those in Waterworld, he wouldn't have needed a sail.

dodint
February 21st, 2019, 12:42 PM
Well, Susan Sarandon did not and I think that's what is really important here.

George
February 21st, 2019, 01:04 PM
:up:

Jason
February 21st, 2019, 02:14 PM
Slowly making my way through Punisher season 2... good stuff so far.

Really hope Disney brings back the various Netflix series and puts them on Hulu or something. Daredevil and Punisher are great, Luke Cage was getting warmed up, Jessica Jones could still be good, and even Iron Fist was improving.

JoshInKC
February 21st, 2019, 04:59 PM
If you want them back in their current forms (same actors, etc) I'm sorry to inform you that you're out of luck. I read an article a while back about how even if disney wanted to, they probably couldn't for a long time (likely 3/5 years from cancellation) without handing netflix entire vaults of cash and getting them to agree, which netflix is unlikely to do.

sandydandy
February 21st, 2019, 08:52 PM
I watched a documentary called Behind The Curve. It’s about the growing Flat Earth movement. Before you roll your eyes and groan I will say it was a very well made documentary, but only because of the actual real scientists and psychologists that were interviewed to counter the claims of the nutty followers of that dreadful organization.

But yeah, it was groan inducing for sure. To say these people are delusional is the mother of all understatements. The filmmakers followed around several members of the movement, interviewing and showing them in their everyday lives, to try to humanize them I guess. It didn’t really make an ounce of difference to me.

A couple of ‘researchers’ did some experiments to try to disprove that the earth was a globe, and that it even had a rotation. They seemed genuine in their intentions to seek the truth, until the results of their experiments proved them wrong. What did they do when that happened? Dismissed the results. One group even spent $20,000 on a gyroscope in a futile attempt at debunking the earth’s rotation.

One psychologist said something interesting. He said these people seem intelligent enough, but are just lacking the ability to think critically. He recommended we don’t just dismiss them out of hand, but rather attempt to see their point of view and try to meet them halfway. I have to reject that notion with extreme prejudice. To meet someone halfway means you have to share at least some common ground them. That’s difficult here because one of the fundamental tenets of the Flat Earth movement is to outright dismiss the millions of photos/videos of the earth taken from space, (which show it to be a globe of course), and insist that they are ALL faked. How do you even begin to reason and rationalize with people like that? It’s impossible. They’re nothing more than a drain on the collective intelligence of society, and should always be treated with hostility and utter contempt.

Or maybe the solution would be for everyone to chip in $1 to send them into space, so they can see the earth for themselves and end this silly movement once and for all.

Personally, I wish we could lock them all up in the Great Sept of Baelor and burn them all!!! :D

Dicknose
February 21st, 2019, 09:36 PM
Saw that this week as well...
I sort of enjoyed it, yes frustrating as hell that they are basically incapable of logic thought, but would be the first to say that they are the only ones who are!
It does show them as human and probably highlights that this is a cultural movement for people who feel disconnected from the rest of society in many ways.
Also showed that as well as unite, it can easily divide them. Their small world still has egos and power struggles!

I dont think we need to worry about meet them half way - not many of them, just ignore them. They dont have any power and its not affecting the rest of us.
Pity we cant say the same about climate change...

Between this show and a bit of a google about flat earth - its amazing how northern-centric it is. Since the centre of their disc world is the north pole, its amazing how distorted the southern hemisphere is... you can fly from Sydney to Johannesburg or Santiago - something not possible on their world map (or would involve flying over the equator). Ive done a flight to South Africa and looked out the window while seeing the mainland of Australia move off to the north..
Also different stars here (cant see the polar star). Lots of stuff that just breaks if you come "down under" and have a look.

tigeraid
February 22nd, 2019, 05:31 AM
I'll have to check it out, I have a mini-obsession with understanding conspiracies and conspiracy theories and what they do to people, having briefly gone down that road when I was younger.

I only worry about Flat Earthers in that, because of youtube, they now have a much bigger scope of influence. And, ALSO because of youtube's algorithms, people who fall down the Flat Earth rabbit hole inevitably end up drowning in conspiracy theories that ARE potentially dangerous, like pizzagate bullshit and Sand Hook truthers. And thus far, youtube hasn't really found a way to cope with it. Of course it's possible they don't, because it all drives clicks and views.

To whit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/technology/youtube-conspiracy-stars.html?fbclid=IwAR0oCFJn7auqSHpkwPpNYLHrAUpxMB PhtqLmzVYFP0nd9LhOel5zrrWPA_s

"Innocent or not, Mr. Dawson’s videos contain precisely the type of viral misinformation that YouTube now says it wants to limit. And its effort raises an uncomfortable question: What if stemming the tide of misinformation on YouTube means punishing some of the platform’s biggest stars?

Part of the problem for platforms like YouTube and Facebook — which has also pledged to clean up misinformation that could lead to real-world harm — is that the definition of “harmful” misinformation is circular. There is no inherent reason that a video questioning the official 9/11 narrative is more dangerous than a video asserting the existence of U.F.O.s or Bigfoot. A conspiracy theory is harmful if it results in harm — at which point it’s often too late for platforms to act."

dodint
February 22nd, 2019, 05:41 AM
I've never seen the 'gateway drug' argument applied to Youtube browsing. :lol:

tigeraid
February 22nd, 2019, 07:10 AM
You know damn well it's true though. They design it to make you want to click, and if you're already gullible enough for gateway conspiracies, you'll do it. ;)

sandydandy
February 22nd, 2019, 07:56 AM
I only worry about Flat Earthers in that, because of youtube, they now have a much bigger scope of influence. And, ALSO because of youtube's algorithms, people who fall down the Flat Earth rabbit hole inevitably end up drowning in conspiracy theories that ARE potentially dangerous, like pizzagate bullshit and Sand Hook truthers. And thus far, youtube hasn't really found a way to cope with it. Of course it's possible they don't, because it all drives clicks and views. I definitely agree with the idea that they are potentially dangerous. Their influence over young people is especially troubling. In the film they showed them having their annual conference or whatever, and a 12-year-old kid stood up to ask a question. I was shocked and disturbed by this.

They also talked about their influence in the classroom, where a lot of students have jumped on their bandwagon. They referenced one occurrence where a third of a classroom raised their hands in opposition to the teacher’s lesson. May not seem like a big deal, but I think the dumbing down of society, starting with the youngest of us, is going down a dangerous road. Especially if it leads to violence.

George
February 22nd, 2019, 08:28 AM
I may have to retract SOME (but not all) of my previous rant about Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix. I turned it on for a few minutes last night at around 16 minutes into the first episode. They seemed to finish up with the "how do you feel about this" questions and finally got down to some cleaning. Okay. That's what I came to see! I shall continue as time permits.

dodint
February 22nd, 2019, 08:31 AM
You know damn well it's true though. They design it to make you want to click, and if you're already gullible enough for gateway conspiracies, you'll do it. ;)

It's funny. I actually turned off 'Autoplay' on my account yesterday. Mainly because I got tired of falling asleep watching Youtube and finding all kinds of weird shit in my watch history. I'd fall asleep watching a Delorean video and nine videos later they have me exploring how they refinish Duesenbergs.

tigeraid
February 22nd, 2019, 11:04 AM
I enjoy Joe Rogan. I listen to the podcast regularly. I often avoid his podcasts with ranting right-wingers like Jordan Peterson or David Rubin, though. But sure as shit, I watch one five minute clip of Rogan talking to Coco, and I get a page-worth of fucking thumbnails of "JORDAN PETERSON CALMLY EDUCATES SCREAMING FEMINISTS"

tigeraid
February 24th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I watched a documentary called Behind The Curve. It’s about the growing Flat Earth movement. Before you roll your eyes and groan I will say it was a very well made documentary, but only because of the actual real scientists and psychologists that were interviewed to counter the claims of the nutty followers of that dreadful organization.

But yeah, it was groan inducing for sure. To say these people are delusional is the mother of all understatements. The filmmakers followed around several members of the movement, interviewing and showing them in their everyday lives, to try to humanize them I guess. It didn’t really make an ounce of difference to me.

A couple of ‘researchers’ did some experiments to try to disprove that the earth was a globe, and that it even had a rotation. They seemed genuine in their intentions to seek the truth, until the results of their experiments proved them wrong. What did they do when that happened? Dismissed the results. One group even spent $20,000 on a gyroscope in a futile attempt at debunking the earth’s rotation.

One psychologist said something interesting. He said these people seem intelligent enough, but are just lacking the ability to think critically. He recommended we don’t just dismiss them out of hand, but rather attempt to see their point of view and try to meet them halfway. I have to reject that notion with extreme prejudice. To meet someone halfway means you have to share at least some common ground them. That’s difficult here because one of the fundamental tenets of the Flat Earth movement is to outright dismiss the millions of photos/videos of the earth taken from space, (which show it to be a globe of course), and insist that they are ALL faked. How do you even begin to reason and rationalize with people like that? It’s impossible. They’re nothing more than a drain on the collective intelligence of society, and should always be treated with hostility and utter contempt.

Man oh man was it delicious when their perfectly logical experiments immediately prove themselves wrong, and they just immediately go "WELL I DON'T ACCEPT THAT LET'S KEEP GOING!"

Personally, I wish we could lock them all up in the Great Sept of Baelor and burn them all!!! :D

The doc did a good job of lulling you into this whole "well, they seem like nice people, just a little weird and misguided, not so bad..." And then they drop the hammer by reminding the viewer "and they also fucking teach CHILDREN this shit, so yeah, it kinda IS dangerous."

dodint
February 24th, 2019, 05:44 PM
I watched Abducted In Plain Sight last night. Very fucking grim subject matter and what are possibly the stupidest parents ever.

OMG I watched that too. The whole time my wife and I are thinking this family is so fucked up to let this shit happen. There were so many red flags they ignored that my mind was blown.

All of these people deserved each other. The only sympathetic participant was the FBI agent.

JoeW
February 25th, 2019, 02:30 AM
Just binged Umbrella Academy. Really good.

Yw-slayer
February 25th, 2019, 02:39 AM
Slowly making my way through Punisher season 2... good stuff so far.

It was a bit messy when compared to S1, but it was still awesome.

sandydandy
February 25th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Man oh man was it delicious when their perfectly logical experiments immediately prove themselves wrong, and they just immediately go "WELL I DON'T ACCEPT THAT LET'S KEEP GOING!” Even better than that was the woman, Patricia, saying “we’re winning the argument!” She said it more than once. I was watching with my son and we both looked at each other like WTF?? She must’ve been inspired by Comical Ali. “We’re winning!!!”

Then there was Mark Sargent’s mother. She was a real hoot with her wanting negative proof that the earth isn’t flat. Give me a break look at the millions upon millions of pictures of the earth from space.

“We don’t believe those”.

Okay. :rolleyes:

tigeraid
February 25th, 2019, 11:01 AM
I also found it funny that they mocked the NASA museum for having a bunch of shitty broken things in it.... Proving that NASA's budget is junk and they never have enough money.... Even when one of their grand conspiracies involves ALL THE MONEY NASA has. :lol:

MR2 Fan
February 25th, 2019, 01:01 PM
20 years since the documentary, I mean comedy, Office Space came out. It really is one of my favorite movies and had a cultural impact.

The only things that make it feel dated are the PC's they use and possibly some of the clothing, but really, it's just as relevant now as it was then (ask me how I know, lol)

What's also interesting is just how much they were able to pack in a movie that isn't very long...it's just non-stop stuff, memorable scenes, quotes, and a good, realistic plot to go along with it.

Also, I need this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0B2OtWW0AABOJx.jpg

sandydandy
February 28th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Watched Ouija: Origin of Evil. It was really good. A solid prequel to what was a very shitty first Ouija movie.

Also watched Blair Witch. Not that great. Too much like the original. That's not to say the original was bad...obviously not, it was a classic and genuinely scary movie. This was an unoriginal and unscary copycat.

dodint
March 6th, 2019, 05:55 AM
Losers is a pretty neat little Netflix docuseries. It is a collection of redemption stories about folks that made it to the top of their sport and then lost. The Jean van de Velde episode was just heartbreaking.

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Unsolved on Netflix, a drama series based on the Biggie and Tupac murders. It goes over 2 investigations one in 1997 and one in 2006, and also shows the history of the 2 rappers back when they were friends.

I don't know how accurate it is, but it's really well done. The actors for Biggie and Tupac are also quite believable.

I'm up through episode 4...not sure how many episodes there are total

Spoiler alert: no one was found guilty since those happened, which they note at the end of every episode, lol

FaultyMario
March 6th, 2019, 06:09 AM
Bad Blood. 'twas good and just long enough (both the series and each episode)

FYI the F1 documentary debuts on Netflix on friday.

sandydandy
March 6th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Spoiler alert: no one was found guilty since those happened, which they note at the end of every episode, lol LOL.

In case you haven't seen Notorious, let me spoil it for you...Biggie dies at the end.

Yw-slayer
March 6th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Recently watched while travelling:

- Rise: Ini Kalilah (I don't expect anyone to watch this)

- Bumblebee

- Wreck it Ralph 2

- Hantu Kak Limah (I also don't expect anyone to watch this)

- Pulang (I also don't expect anyone to watch this)

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2019, 07:59 AM
LOL.

In case you haven't seen Notorious, let me spoil it for you...Biggie dies at the end.

yeah and if it was an episodic TV show, they probably wouldn't say that at the end of every episode, even if everyone knows what happened, it's less dramatic that way

Freude am Fahren
March 6th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Finally got around to starting The Expanse's 2nd season over and watching through the end of S3. I had been watching it near-live back when it aired, but fell away, so just restarted as S2E1. I really love that show. Part of the second half of S3 annoyed me, but they wrapped it up pretty nicely. Honestly, it wouldn't have been a bad place for the show to end. I am looking forward to see what Amazon has in-store for it though.

For those that have read the books, has the show covered everything, gone past the books, or is there more written content for S4?

Speaking of which, I just started re-watching GoT form Episode 1, in preparation for the final season.

sandydandy
March 6th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Re-watched Ali G Indahouse the other day. Looked at the cast list and was shocked to see Martin Freeman as Ricky C. He was Everett Ross in Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther. I would've never guessed if I didn't look it up.

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Re-watched Ali G Indahouse the other day. Looked at the cast list and was shocked to see Martin Freeman as Ricky C. He was Everett Ross in Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther. I would've never guessed if I didn't look it up.

He was also Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit trilogy :o (wow, I can't say that without yawning), yes, his career is interesting.

dodint
March 6th, 2019, 11:42 AM
He was also fantastic in Fargo season 2. Just exceptional work.

speedpimp
March 6th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Widow on Prime. Kate Beckinsale is the star but the supporting cast includes River Song and Tyrion Lannister.

JoshInKC
March 6th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Finally got around to starting The Expanse's 2nd season over and watching through the end of S3. I had been watching it near-live back when it aired, but fell away, so just restarted as S2E1. I really love that show. Part of the second half of S3 annoyed me, but they wrapped it up pretty nicely. Honestly, it wouldn't have been a bad place for the show to end. I am looking forward to see what Amazon has in-store for it though.

For those that have read the books, has the show covered everything, gone past the books, or is there more written content for S4?

Speaking of which, I just started re-watching GoT form Episode 1, in preparation for the final season.

The Expanse tv show has *A Lot* of ground to cover before they catch up with the books IIRC. I think season 3 ended about where the 3rd book ended, which means there are 4 published (2 unpublished) books remaining, and they get bigger as they go on.

tigeraid
March 7th, 2019, 08:20 AM
I'm hopeful that Amazon will allow the show to flourish just a bit more. It'd be nice to hear Aversarala say "fuck" more than once a season.

And maybe boobs.

JoeW
March 7th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Word.

Freude am Fahren
March 7th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Hell, you don't have to leave basic cable for fucks and boobs anymore!

SyFy, Paramount, AMC, FX, they're all gaining ground on pay cable and streaming in terms of censorship, which I applaud.

Leon
March 7th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Watching The Rookie. Because Nathan Fillion.

Average as TV series, made gooder because of one of my fave actors.

tigeraid
March 8th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Hell, you don't have to leave basic cable for fucks and boobs anymore!

SyFy, Paramount, AMC, FX, they're all gaining ground on pay cable and streaming in terms of censorship, which I applaud.

Oh totally, but you got the sense watching The Expanse on SyFy that they were hedging their bets. Aversarala would get a "fuck" out once or twice a season at best. And boobs were usually just side boobs.

"Shit" is virtually common place now though.

Freude am Fahren
March 8th, 2019, 07:45 AM
I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I watched Yellowstone recently on Paramount's on-demand app. That one had full-on nudity and lots of fucks. I was wondering if they aired everything on cable I was seeing.

Leon
March 8th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Amusingly, free to air broadcast TV in most countries outside the USA has had plenty of fucks and nudity since basically forever :).

It's kind of entertaining that a country mad on free speech, is simultaneously a bunch of total horn dogs, while in many ways pandering to really uptight Christian minority world view!

MR2 Fan
March 8th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Amusingly, free to air broadcast TV in most countries outside the USA has had plenty of fucks and nudity since basically forever :).

It's kind of entertaining that a country mad on free speech, is simultaneously a bunch of total horn dogs, while in many ways pandering to really uptight Christian minority world view!

Driving through the southern states of the U.S. is very...interesting. Lots of crosses, Jesus billboards, and right along nearby, strip clubs, etc.

Freude am Fahren
March 8th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Yeah, they should have named it United States of Hypocrisy.

dodint
March 8th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Weird that a country of 300M people would reflect diverse interests.

Crazed_Insanity
March 8th, 2019, 08:40 PM
Unbelievable indeed.

G'day Mate
March 9th, 2019, 02:58 AM
F1 series on Netflix is good :up:

tigeraid
March 9th, 2019, 05:54 AM
F1 series on Netflix is good :up:

Is it though? I heard something about how Ferrari and McLaren literally don't exist in it (for stupid McLaren and Ferrari reasons, no doubt).... So does it feel realistic at all?

Crazed_Insanity
March 9th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Mercedes. Who cares about Mclaren anymore. :p

JoeW
March 9th, 2019, 08:12 AM
It’s fucking amazing if you ask me. Of course they were given limited access to their pits etc from Merc and Ferrari but there are a ton of conversations that we get to hear unedited from those team drivers. Now the real drama and access is everywhere else anyways.

I am three episodes in and I’ve been laughing at the uncensored conversations and the coverage is fantastic.

speedpimp
March 9th, 2019, 08:29 AM
10 PM to 6 AM was usually defined as a "safe harbor" to air anything without fear of retribution from the FCC.

Freude am Fahren
March 9th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Still true. Between those hours, ABC is no different from HBO in regard to rules (though they obviously hold themselves to different standards, mostly because of advertisers.)

Technically non-over-the-air channels, like TBS, FX, etc., have the same rules as paid subscription based channels, like HBO. Game of Thrones could air unedited on Disney Channel if they wanted to. The only reason they held back was advertising.

Interestingly, I think the first time I heard "shit" on cable was on TBS (or maybe USA, but I think TBS), though it may have been second behind South Park. It was one of their original sitcoms.

Also, at anytime on any channel, they can't air "Obscenity". I think that's how we got soft-core porn. Of course even "Obscenity" isn't really defined by concrete terms, just a vague three level test.

"It must appeal to an average person's prurient interest; depict or describe sexual conduct in a "patently offensive" way; and, taken as a whole, lack serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value."

speedpimp
March 9th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Few years back I was listening to the local Alt Americana station during the day and they aired a song with multiple fucks. Hilarious thing is the station is part of a local Christian college.

Freude am Fahren
March 9th, 2019, 08:50 AM
That would have been a violation. It's the same thing regarding FM vs XM, and why songs are uncensored on XM.

Bit of a funny story, a director I used to work with got overheard on-air saying fuck multiple times. A reporter was doing a hit from a room that has an intercom from the control room that was turned up. Reporter didn't put her mic on herself (but it was turned on, sitting on a shelf), so the intercom was picked up with him yelling profanities. But because it was the 11 p.m. show, the station didn't get in trouble (at least with the FCC), though he did get a week unpaid vacation.

sandydandy
March 9th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Watched Life, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. It wasn’t bad. A bit of a copy of Alien, but with some twists.

Leon
March 9th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Weird that a country of 300M people would reflect diverse interests.

Diametrically diverse is more my point.

speedpimp
March 10th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Saw Captain Marvel and really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Alan P
March 10th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Saw Captain Marvel and really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Me too!

Also watching The Rookie and it's not bad actually. Some US TV can be really predictable and not too serious but this is pretty good.

FaultyMario
March 10th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Is it though? I heard something about how Ferrari and McLaren literally don't exist in it (for stupid McLaren and Ferrari reasons, no doubt).... So does it feel realistic at all?

You say that like it's bad thing.

JoeW
March 11th, 2019, 02:32 AM
They did not give Netflix permission to film them.

But I heard that the reaction to the show was so overwhelmingly positive that they (Merc and Ferrari) have allowed them to film much of the testing and unveiling for this season already.

tigeraid
March 11th, 2019, 06:42 AM
lol, fuck sakes.

Guess I'll give it a shot then.

JoeW
March 11th, 2019, 07:02 AM
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/26183142/an-f1-documentary-lacking-ferrari-mercedes-all-better-it

Blerpa
March 11th, 2019, 10:41 AM
It was great, especially on a big 4K tv (too bad no HDR).
Verstappen looks like a giant arrogant asshole, Gunther Steiner is not that elegant but Horner is his usual conniving self.
Also, a thought... where in the hell were Sirotkin and Hartley? Everyone (aside from Merc and Ferrari... and even then there was a bit of them in the series anyway) was given a moment of fame in the series, aside from the russian and the kiwi. WTF?

FaultyMario
March 11th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Brendon who?

JoeW
March 11th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Yeah the only Williams coverage was of Claire and some vintage footage about its history.

I thought it was funny when they showed Gasly in his ice bath in a big green trash can in the storage area behind a building then they cut to Ericsson in an actual bathtub full of ice. Budget differences apparently ;)

Very nice to hear much of the candid moments with the drivers talking about just regular funny shit. Nice to have a look at their real personalities for a brief moment.

Verstappen didn't seem to appear any more assholeish than usual. It's funny because Magnussen had an even more cocky attitude than Verstappen and yet he did it with a wry smile which just seemed to make it better. If Verstappen could pull off some sort of smile like that then I think he would shed some of that stigma. But right now...not so much.

Blerpa
March 11th, 2019, 01:17 PM
I had similar thoughts about Magnussen and Verstappen and yet I think Kevin was ruvid but honest and straightforward while Max came about as King Joffrey from Game of Thrones.
I think Senna or Piquet in the heydays would have punched him out unconscious at first sight of shenanigans, he is lucky nowadays drivers are more restrained.

JoeW
March 11th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Yeah. On one hand I like that he doesn’t take shit and had the balls (immaturity) to go after another driver but on the other hand he needs to temper his image in the coming years. I want to see more people who will fight for what they want old school style. But he could be more Magnussen about it and less aloof asshole.
Before watching the series I was indifferent to the Stroll family, After watching the series I pretty much dislike them more than anyone on the grid.

Blerpa
March 11th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Before watching the series I was indifferent to the Stroll family, After watching the series I pretty much dislike them more than anyone on the grid.

I find them pretty tasteless and out of place in the whole grid and spectrum of characters that makes up the circus that F1 is.

Crazed_Insanity
March 11th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Just started watching portion of 1st episode...

Wish we could have something like this every season...

You guys need to stop talking about it so you won’t spoil the season for me! :p

Yobbo NZ
March 11th, 2019, 06:28 PM
After watching the whole thing, Magnussen is probably my new favourite driver.
Goes under the radar, solid performer and funny to boot.
Also taken a dislike to Perez after this now too.
Seems he had total disdain for Ocon.
His comment after they crashed, can't remember what race it was, where he said " He did it to me, so he deserved it".
Then took it back by saying he didn't mean he was going to crash into him, but shit happens kinda thing.
Very surprised Grosjean still has a drive also.

JoeW
March 11th, 2019, 07:47 PM
I echo all those remarks.

Dicknose
March 12th, 2019, 03:09 AM
Must watch...

but as a quick comment - the recent aussie F1 drivers have luckily been fairly laid back, Webber and Ricciardo both were generally relaxed as you could be while being butt fcked! Good drivers, nicer guys.
I understand its hard to get to the top in sport without being at least some part arsehole. Does make the real nice people at the top look all that bit better.

Ok Netflix - pause The Crown and jump to F1.

JoeW
March 12th, 2019, 04:24 AM
This is primarily why Ricciardo got the lions share of the coverage. He’s a great example and makes people who may have been on the fence about F1 want to tune in and root for him.

dodint
March 12th, 2019, 07:13 AM
I am only two episodes in. Hoping the "only Fernando, the greatest race driver in the history of four wheels, could have done [this menial task]" chills the fuck out.

speedpimp
March 13th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Last night I watched Heavy Trip, your typical run of the mill subtitled Finnish comedy about Impaled Rektum, a black metal band. Loved it to death. It's on Prime.

speedpimp
March 17th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Love Death + Robots on Netflix. It's an 18 episode animated adult anthology series. Episodes are between 5 and 20 mins. Definitely binge worthy.

sandydandy
March 19th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Saw a bunch of movies over the past week:

Recall - with Wesley Snipes and RJ Mitte (Walt Jr. from Breaking Bad) and bunch of no-names. It was good cheesy fun.

The Girl on the Train - I thought it was very good. Surprised to see it rated so low on Rotten Tomatoes by critics and audience.

Passengers - thought it was alright at best.

As I'm typing this up I really can't remember what else I watched...except for Captain Marvel, of course.

Cap'n Marvel: Thought it was excellent.

I didn't see what 'SJW' stuff the alt-right detractors had their panties in a bunch about. There was nothing. It was all action and story.

The Tesseract was a surprise, and I had trouble at first reconciling in my mind how it fits into continuity. But now I see how it fits seamlessly. Howard Stark fished it out of the ocean, he and SHIELD worked with it, gave it to NASA and USAF for a joint venture (with SHIELD of course) and that's how Mar-Vell got a hold of it. Simple.

The goofy characterization of Nick Fury was something I had to get used to, considering he'd been depicted as a hardened spy with ice-water in his veins since the beginning of the MCU. It got easier as the film went on. Though I wasn't a fan of the way he lost his eye. It was kinda stupid.

Overall the movie was a great prequel.

speedpimp
March 19th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Because she has an innie instead of a virile, erect, throbbing outtie then of course it has to be categorized as SJW bullshit.

Freude am Fahren
March 19th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Don't know if this really the right thread, but AT&T is (SURPRISE!!!) doing exactly the opposite of what they said when they merged with Time Warner.

DirecTV Now, their streaming service (which I use for TV) used to be pretty good. They had 4 packages ranging from $40 to $70 I think, with just about any channel you wanted on the max level. Well, now they are rasing the price, and only offering two options ($50 or $70), and getting rid of tons of channels from their competitors networks.

So more money for less product, and they claim it's what consumers want :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Current subscribers like myself can keep their current line up (for now anyway...) at an additional $10/mo. That puts mine up to over $80/mo with taxes/fees.

I'm heading down to Comcast now to see what it would cost me for similar lineup.

sandydandy
March 19th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Because she has an innie instead of a virile, erect, throbbing outtie then of course it has to be categorized as SJW bullshit. Such horseshit. I'm aware of three female Captain Marvel's in the comics going back to the '80s. I don't think anyone ever made a big stink about it.

(Though I do remember people getting upset when Phyla-Vell became Quasar in 2006. I thought the complaints were rather petty.)

Alan P
March 19th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Saw a bunch of movies over the past week:

Recall - with Wesley Snipes and RJ Mitte (Walt Jr. from Breaking Bad) and bunch of no-names. It was good cheesy fun.

The Girl on the Train - I thought it was very good. Surprised to see it rated so low on Rotten Tomatoes by critics and audience.

Passengers - thought it was alright at best.

As I'm typing this up I really can't remember what else I watched...except for Captain Marvel, of course.

Cap'n Marvel: Thought it was excellent.

I didn't see what 'SJW' stuff the alt-right detractors had their panties in a bunch about. There was nothing. It was all action and story.

The Tesseract was a surprise, and I had trouble at first reconciling in my mind how it fits into continuity. But now I see how it fits seamlessly. Howard Stark fished it out of the ocean, he and SHIELD worked with it, gave it to NASA and USAF for a joint venture (with SHIELD of course) and that's how Mar-Vell got a hold of it. Simple.

The goofy characterization of Nick Fury was something I had to get used to, considering he'd been depicted as a hardened spy with ice-water in his veins since the beginning of the MCU. It got easier as the film went on. Though I wasn't a fan of the way he lost his eye. It was kinda stupid.

Overall the movie was a great prequel.
Agreed about the eye. Was lame.

Dicknose
March 20th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Im doing a Game of Thrones catchup... ok so I did a season in a day (quite day, not working) and now getting ready for the new season.
Which arrives on my birthday and a few hours after I fly back home. Got my day planned!

MR2 Fan
March 20th, 2019, 12:10 AM
I watched Captain Marvel and enjoyed it....didn't see any issues with it (OMG Nick Fury does dishes, THE HORROR!! :rolleyes: )

I also saw on TV Thor: The Dark World and yeah, not great.

Tomb Raider was also on TV, the new one with Alicia Vikander, I thought it was decent.

speedpimp
March 20th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Such horseshit. I'm aware of three female Captain Marvel's in the comics going back to the '80s. I don't think anyone ever made a big stink about it.

(Though I do remember people getting upset when Phyla-Vell became Quasar in 2006. I thought the complaints were rather petty.)

Twitterverse didn't exist back then or just imagine the bloodshed and hurt feelings over Scrappy Doo.

speedpimp
March 24th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Us. Very good movie.

sandydandy
March 24th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Watched an HBO documentary called Risky Drinking. Powerful and disturbing stuff.

Also saw the documentary I am Paul Walker. That was great. He seemed like such a great person. Sad loss for the rest of us.

Alan P
March 25th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Sex and Love and Robots on Netflix. Excellent in the most part.

tigeraid
March 25th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Sex and Love and Robots on Netflix. Excellent in the most part.

Yup. Very nostalgic feelings of watching The Animatrix the first time. That first story is fucking brutal. All of them had merit, though.

Alan P
March 25th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Yup. Very nostalgic feelings of watching The Animatrix the first time. That first story is fucking brutal. All of them had merit, though.

I've heard that they play in different order for some people? Was the first one the futuristic deathmatch one for you?

tigeraid
March 25th, 2019, 05:20 PM
I've heard that they play in different order for some people? Was the first one the futuristic deathmatch one for you?

Yeah, with the girl-on-girl action.

Dicknose
March 26th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Interestingly the deathmatch is listed as the first one - but for me the "top page" shows Beyond the Aquila Rift, so just clicking to start the series started with that ep - then auto-played into ep1

JoeW
March 26th, 2019, 08:47 AM
There were some duds but my favorites were:

Sonnies Edge
Suits
Beyond the Aquila Rift
Good Hunting
Lucky 13
Blindspot
Ice Age
The Secret War

MR2 Fan
March 26th, 2019, 10:25 AM
One month left until Avengers End Game...and the Russos dropped a bombshell on twitter about someone who got snapped that we didn't know about by showing pics in black and white of who got snapped. Avoid twitter if you don't want to know who, because the name is trending.

if you do want to know who:

it's Shuri

OF COURSE it could be them just playing games with us again as they do in the trailers.

tigeraid
March 26th, 2019, 12:19 PM
There were some duds but my favorites were:

Sonnies Edge
Suits
Beyond the Aquila Rift
Good Hunting
Lucky 13
Blindspot
Ice Age
The Secret War

The "real world" scene in Beyond the Aquila Rift was fucking disturbing.

JoeW
March 26th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Agreed.

dodint
March 27th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Popped it on tonight, kind of took Ash by surprise. Mission accomplished.

JoeW
April 1st, 2019, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure how many of you are into semi old school kung fu type shows but I have been watching Into the Badlands on Netflix and it's quite entertaining.

Watched The Order on Netflix also...new series. Entertaining.

speedpimp
April 1st, 2019, 03:52 PM
Trailer Park Boys animated series is up on Netflix.

tigeraid
April 2nd, 2019, 05:36 AM
Yup, and it's fucking hilarious.

MR2 Fan
April 2nd, 2019, 06:01 PM
got my End Game tickets for Thursday night, April 25th...trying to get tickets was crazy. This movie is going to be huge and break some records I think.

Anyway, I found this retrospective for The MCU leading up to End Game and got maybe a LITTLE emotional. It's very well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBMR7veRfw

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2019, 08:16 PM
New season of Santa Clarita Diet is hilarious.

MR2 Fan
April 4th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I finally watched Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse. I thought it was good, not the best thing ever, but good.

speedpimp
April 4th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Caught Shazam! this afternoon. Probably the best non-Batman DC movie I've seen(I know that's not saying much, but still...).

MR2 Fan
April 4th, 2019, 08:31 PM
I watched the first episode of the new Twilight Zone. I hope everything goes well for Jordan Peele as I think he is very talented.

The first episode was ok, but IMO it dragged on and the other issue is that, unlike when the Twilight Zone first aired, many of our TV shows and movies show the types of plot twists and "unexpected" things these days, and it's more difficult to surprise people.

This episode felt like I knew 20 mins in what was going to happen and the rest (55 mins) was just waiting for it to play out.

sandydandy
April 6th, 2019, 08:50 AM
I watched The Student last night. It was pretty bad. Terrible acting, except for Alicia Leigh Willis, who was decent. She is lovely too. In a Naomi Watts way.

Leon
April 6th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Watched the series finale of You're The Worst.

I was kind of iffy about how dark the final season had been, but the final episode just absolutely nailed it. Very pleasing to have a series be finished off properly (rather than cancelled on a cliffhanger), and in such a satisfying way.

speedpimp
April 6th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Watched the series finale of You're The Worst.

I was kind of iffy about how dark the final season had been, but the final episode just absolutely nailed it. Very pleasing to have a series be finished off properly (rather than cancelled on a cliffhanger), and in such a satisfying way.

It couldn't have ended any better.

Half way through the new season of Better Things and it is so damned good.

Caught Pet Sematery this morning and I liked it a lot.

Tom Servo
April 6th, 2019, 05:40 PM
I was nervous it was going to suck, but two episodes in I am loving the TV adaptation of What We Do In The Shadows on FX here. I really hope it gets good enough ratings to keep going past the first season.

speedpimp
April 6th, 2019, 06:09 PM
Love that show as well, especially the energy vampire and the way they go after LARPers.

Leon
April 6th, 2019, 07:34 PM
I've only seen the first episode, but I was very impressed with it :)

Tom Servo
April 6th, 2019, 09:32 PM
Love that show as well, especially the energy vampire and the way they go after LARPers.

Colin is absolutely killing me. When he started giving the LARPers a lecture about the importance of choosing the right economy car even though they don't licenses, that was a thing of beauty.

I am like 98% certain my dad is an energy vampire.

tigeraid
April 8th, 2019, 05:55 AM
New Twilight Zone is off to a fun start.

FaultyMario
April 8th, 2019, 07:34 AM
I thought it was good, not the best thing ever, but good.

... and ignored.

sandydandy
April 9th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Re-watched the 2003 Hulk the other day. It was still meh. Then re-watched the Incredible Hulk. That was also not that great. Special effects looked so fake and cheesy in the big Harlem (clearly filmed in Toronto) fight toward the end. It looked like a video game.

Ruffalo is clearly the best Hulk.

Thinking of speeding through the MCU films in preparation for Endgame.

Crazed_Insanity
April 9th, 2019, 09:24 AM
http://hboasia.com/OnDemand/en-sg/shows/the-world-between-us/

I'm watching a short TV series from Taiwan called the world between us... probably has english subtitles since it's by HBO...

Anyway, it's really engaging, emotional, yet thought provoking. It's about a mass shooting and the story is told from all sides, both perpetrator and victim's families, from the news media, mental hospital and defense lawyer... discussion about media's responsibilities and death penalty...

The 10 episode series is not over yet, not really sure how they plan on ending this mess, but like I said, it's just so engaging in so many levels. Too bad it's in chinese... HBO really should produce a english version of it to help people deal with or perhaps figure out these kind of life tragedies...

JoeW
April 9th, 2019, 10:48 AM
To me the Ang Lee Hulk was the best representation of the comic book Hulk. The Avengers Hulk is a pussy compared to how powerful he should be.

His power is basically limitless based on how much you piss him off. Which Ang Lee demonstrated perfectly. All the other movies have so many moments where the Hulk was a little bitch when he should have just become exponentially more powerful.

MR2 Fan
April 9th, 2019, 11:44 AM
I haven't seen either Hulk movie yet but the first one seems more like what I think of as the Hulk.

Agreed the MCU Hulk in the Avengers/Thor movies isn't too overpowered but neither are a lot of their characters, Vision, Scarlet Witch...at least yet. Maybe we'll see something different in End Game......just over TWO MORE WEEKS!! Now to just avoid all of these special videos and features/mini-trailers that keep saying the storyline.

tigeraid
April 9th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I kind of hope they do something similar to the comics with Hulk, where he finally "conquers" his other self and joins together, so he's got brains and brawn. And maybe gets stronger. Y'know, the time he had, like, a brown shirt he wore? In my haze of childhood comic memories....

sandydandy
April 9th, 2019, 01:21 PM
I haven't seen either Hulk movie yet but the first one seems more like what I think of as the Hulk.

Agreed the MCU Hulk in the Avengers/Thor movies isn't too overpowered but neither are a lot of their characters, Vision, Scarlet Witch...at least yet. Maybe we'll see something different in End Game......just over TWO MORE WEEKS!! Now to just avoid all of these special videos and features/mini-trailers that keep saying the storyline. I agree that the MCU characters in general are shown to be much less powerful than their comicbook counterparts. They even appear less powerful than the X-Men movie universe characters.

Look at Thanos vs Apocalypse, (a forever popular 'VS Forum' debate for comics), based on what we've seen in the movies Apocalypse appears to be significantly more powerful, and it's his own personal power. Every impressive display we've seen from Thanos has been from of his use of the Infinity Gauntlet. We've heard references made to how powerful he is, but haven't seen it yet. That's kind of annoying.

JSGeneral
April 11th, 2019, 03:25 AM
It's looking weirder and weirder... And yet more and more compelling.

https://youtu.be/198gzllaumo

SportWagon
April 12th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Anybody else think the current Jeopardy! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy!) super-champion James Holzhauer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jeopardy!_contestants#James_Holzhauer) looks like k.d. lang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.d._lang) ?

(But not so much when he makes a toothy smile...) (Then my wife thought he looked like Tom Cruise...)

Can't find a reliable image. The following should be avaliable for a while.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/streaker-updates/james-holzhauers-streak-5-wins

speedpimp
April 12th, 2019, 02:24 PM
He looks like a mashup of Cruise and Lang in the same way that Chas Bono looks like Charlie Weis.

JoeW
April 12th, 2019, 05:06 PM
The emotional vampire is hilarious. And the werewolf conflict was good. The vulva garden kills me.

speedpimp
April 13th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Can't wait for the next new vampire type.

JoeW
April 13th, 2019, 04:59 PM
The first couple of episodes I was curious if Colin was just a regular guy living in the house who didn’t have special powers...but was just one of those really annoying people. Until he and the emotional vampire were suspended in midair during their duel. Classic.

speedpimp
April 14th, 2019, 02:41 PM
At first I thought he was going to be their version of Dead Pool 2's Peter.

Tin Star has been excellent this season.

speedpimp
April 19th, 2019, 01:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=137&v=MYM7Y_mrq9M

Freude am Fahren
April 19th, 2019, 05:31 PM
:lol:

I'll probably rent it...

sandydandy
April 19th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Finally watched Split last night. It was unbelievably great. Gonna watch Glass next.

Alan P
April 20th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Polished off ST Discovery. Really redeemed itself after the average season 1 and the last couple fo episodes were very good and they've really knocked the VFX out of the park.

sandydandy
April 20th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Started watching The Office. I think I have a thing for Jenna Fischer. My latest celebrity crush. She is really cute...(or was back then, not so much these days based on recent photos I’ve seen). She kind of reminds me of a girl I went to college with who had my attention.

The show itself is all kinds of hilarious.

JoeW
April 20th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Yeah one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. Parks and Rec is another.

MR2 Fan
April 20th, 2019, 05:41 PM
They're trying to reboot Frasier....I loved the show before but I don't think it needs a reboot, but....hollywood does what hollywood does

Leon
April 20th, 2019, 07:10 PM
They're trying to reboot Frasier....I loved the show before but I don't think it needs a reboot, but....hollywood does what hollywood does

[rage]

This is kind of hollywood, even for hollywood.

FaultyMario
April 20th, 2019, 07:45 PM
The Tick (2016).

speedpimp
April 21st, 2019, 01:38 AM
Love The Tick. The original 2001 series with Patrick Warburton is also up on Prime.

Tom Servo
April 21st, 2019, 05:12 PM
Yeah one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. Parks and Rec is another.

Parks and Rec is awesome. I was at a garden center wearing a Mouse Rat shirt when a guy stopped me to ask me about it. He said that his daughter loves both mice and rats and that the shirt would be perfect for her, and asked where I got it.

I told him it's a Parks and Rec thing and easily found online, to which he responded "Parks and Rec? My brother's on that show, I should probably know that."

Then my wife informed me that I was talking to Chad Lowe.

JoeW
April 21st, 2019, 07:28 PM
Son of a bitch...small world :)

MR2 Fan
April 24th, 2019, 07:04 AM
watched Ocean's 8....yes, the all female one. I heard it had some 3D printer stuff in it, and I've enjoyed the Ocean's movies so far mostly.

It was....ok. The 3D printing part was completely fictional, there's no way to print zirconia on a 3D printer like that (yet), and definitely not a crappy Makerbot (there's a long, sordid story about that company)

JoeW
April 24th, 2019, 07:55 AM
So you're saying it's not real? Gasp!

MR2 Fan
April 24th, 2019, 07:59 AM
So you're saying it's not real? Gasp!

Well there are other 3D printing references in TV shows and movies lately that have been pretty accurate. Netflix's Lost in Space is a good example. The 3D printer used in that one is basically what can be done now in real life.

sandydandy
April 24th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Watched Glass. Pretty damn good!

speedpimp
April 24th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Really enjoying the ever loving shit out of Letterkenny. It's on Hulu.

sandydandy
April 25th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Saw Avengers: Endgame.

Mind-blown.

JoshInKC
April 26th, 2019, 03:41 AM
I'm very sad that that the deadwood movie will be airing when I'm out in the field and hell and gone from a tv. This is much more distressing than missing the GoT finale.

https://youtu.be/s0WrXmhvXTA

dodint
April 26th, 2019, 05:30 AM
I'm kind of stuck. Been wanting a Deadwood movie for years, but I tried to rewatch the series with Ash and only made it 7 episodes in because life got busy. Not sure if I want to finish rewatching it with her or just watch the movie. Maybe both, I dunno.

MR2 Fan
April 26th, 2019, 08:03 AM
I saw End Game last night

minor spoiler...

I can now say I have a body like THOR

FaultyMario
April 26th, 2019, 08:23 AM
I'm thankful for Twitter's muted words. hashtag avengersendgame.

sandydandy
April 26th, 2019, 08:24 AM
I’ll get into my pros and cons list later. But I have a minor spoiler as well.

It was nice to see:

A cameo by Jim Starlin. I might’ve been the only guy to recognize him. He was the bald support worker.

DelSolMan
April 26th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Saw Endgame.

I thought it was really good. I tried to predict (in my head) what would happen before watching the movie and it was way better than what I thought was going to happen. Many memorable scenes, characters were respected and had great moments and lots of fun banter. I think Marvel perfected their forumla. The fight scenes are important but the fun part is watching all the characters interact. I found that the fight scenes were shorter than normal for an action movie which gave more time for the characters to interact.

sandydandy
April 28th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Okay so Endgame.

My thoughts:

Where to begin?

Unlike most recent MCU films, I wasn’t in a rush to analyze it left and right, and excitedly put up my pros and cons. This is different. I’m left with a deflated feeling, and a general sense of uncertainty about the future. Of course it was a great movie, no doubt. A fitting closure to over ten years of magic.

I saw it twice in the theater. Opening night with my son, and Saturday afternoon with my daughter. Two very different experiences in terms of the audience’s energy levels. Thursday was just insane. A lot of cheering and hollering and screaming and crying. Not so much Saturday. It was a bit more subdued with mostly oohs and ahhs. Maybe it was an opening day thing. Everyone lost it when Cap took Mjolnir, myself included. Then when he uttered “Avengers Assemble”, it felt like the roof of the cinema was going to blow! Pure adrenaline, unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I’m guessing that’s how it was for people who saw the original Star Wars. I’ve seen interviews with Alan Ladd Jr. who described seeing SW for the first time, and how we’ll never see anything like it again. Endgame was that for me in terms of movie experience.

The story was executed so masterfully and the whole time travel stuff was done extremely well, though I do see a couple of continuity issues. I really loved the fight sequences. The way Thanos was portrayed made me smile. They showed how much of a badass he truly was, that even without the Infinity Gauntlet he was able to overpower Thor, Cap and Iron Man. Thanos is a pure ass kicker! Scarlet Witch was a surprise in how easily she had him on the ropes, but it’s in line with the source material. Wanda has insane reality warping powers. Even in Infinity War I always thought it was fitting that she was the last person Thanos had to go through to get the final stone. Thanos and Wanda are two of the most notorious reality warpers in the comics in the last quarter century.

My biggest worry going in was that they were going to place too much emphasis on Captain Marvel, and have her save the day. I’m glad that didn’t happen. She was relegated to more or less a supporting role. The feminist march thing was done pretty tastefully.

Tony Stark...we all knew the day would come when he would sacrifice himself. The place went silent, except for the sounds of people weeping, (there was one annoying woman in my row that was bawling. I think she was almost convulsing). It was hard to not get choked up. A fitting end to the guy who started it all, and a nice farewell to RDJ.

Natasha’s death was sad too. Cap coming back to the present as an old man opens up time travel related continuity issues that I wonder if they’ll even address.

So that brings us to the future. What’s it going to look like? I think the big budget over the top MCU films are done. At least until they establish a new nucleus of core characters, and build around them. They need to go small and rebuild. With Disney acquiring Fox, you know X-Men and Fantastic Four are ready to fill the void. But will the audience accept them? Maybe X-Men to a certain degree, but Marvel Studios will have their hands full trying to reestablish the FF, seeing as how they’ve already been butchered on the big screen. Plus if people are as deflated as I am, then maybe everyone’s tastes will shift in the coming years away from the superhero genre. It’s overdone now. They might have a really hard time with the next couple of phases of the MCU.

Who knows. :|

Personally I think it all depends on how they handle one guy:

Doom.

speedpimp
April 28th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Saw Endgame and loved it.

Jason
April 28th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Endgame and Battle of Winterfell on the same weekend is pretty intense viewing. 👍

JSGeneral
April 29th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Saw Endgame as well. Only once so far but will go back for multiple viewings. Such great callouts not only to previous MCU movies, but also to comics and small screen shows as well...

Showing Howard's butler, Jarvis, was a great nod to the excellent Agent Carter TV show. (They used the same actor too.)

Was a bit surprised they couldn't get Vision back in some white/grey skinned version... but considering his direct link to the stones... it makes sense.

"On your left."

During the big battle, did anyone notice that during the "relay" charge to race and get the Gauntlet into the van, after Hawkeye handed it off, every character that carried the Gauntlet was a character who had worn it some time in the comics. Spider-man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel... the only ones really missing was Nebula and Captain America (and Deadpool and Adam Warlock.)

I think Iron Man unintentionally snapped Gamora. (Here me out.) He probably just snapped everyone he didn't know that came across the Quantum Realm in Thanos' ship. That unfortunately includes that Gamora (from 2014). That said, I think 2024 Gamora might still exist. The Guardians (now with THOR!!!) are going to have a third movie. When they were about to fly off, Star Lord was looking at his computer screen and doing a search for Gamora... proving that past-Gamora was no longer there on Earth after the battle (was probably snapped.) If that third GOTG movie includes a search for present Gamora and they find a way to pull 2024 Gamora out of the Soul Stone... then they might also find a way of pulling Black Widow out of there as well. Remember, Thor is now with them and would instantly recognize Natasha as another "friend from work." (This would make it much easier to make the Black Widow movie that the MCU keeps semi-promising. I'd much rather see a BW movie with this current character's experiences and personality, instead of another anticlimactic origin story.)

Was incredibly happy with this movie. Full of great surprises, incredible acting, and also some validations of my crazy theories. I said "I knew it", out loud just before Thor did. :)

MR2 Fan
April 29th, 2019, 06:35 AM
After End-Game, I think for GOTG 3

They'll find Gamora, but since Thor is with them, she'll start falling for Thor instead of Quill and there will be a love triangle of sorts

MR2 Fan
April 29th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Regarding The Snap and aftermath (not End Game related), they didn't really cover the impact much for the average citizen (which is typical of most MCU movies...you'll get one or two regular people affected and hear their story, but not much else)

Anyway, as a thought exercise, trying to even grasp the insane upheaval that would cause in society.

One podcast they were discussing the number of snapped people...let's round it up to 4 billion....plus animals, plants, etc. Now, imagine the amount of suicides...deaths happening by other means due to crashes, etc. you could be looking at several hundred more million gone.....sad to think about for sure, but just trying to wrap your head around such a thing. I never really gave it too much thought after Infinity War.

MR2 Fan
April 29th, 2019, 01:38 PM
End Game made $1.2 Billion worldwide on opening weekend.

The second highest grossing movie worldwide is Titanic at $2.187 billion.

I'm going to say it now.....Titanic is...going down

Cam
April 29th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Lori and I watched Age of Ultron and Infinity War over the week-end in case we decide to see Endgame in the theatre.

George
April 30th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Saw Avengers: Endgame yesterday evening with my son. Wow! Mind blown, indeed, as Sandy said. I'm sure future viewings on smaller screens with less impressive sound systems will reveal some shortcomings, but after a first viewing, I think it was one of the most enjoyable big-screen epics I can remember.

So many questions! Who was that? Why did that happen? HOW did that happen? I had to get on wikipedia when I got home to figure some things out.

I guess I/we have a bunch of prequels to seek out and watch now. I hope they are of similar quality.

A couple comments and questions are below, but I'm not expecting answers from you guys. I'll probably figure it all out soon enough.

Why does Thor wear gloves all the time, even when shirtless and chillin' (and swillin') with his buds at his bachelor pad?

How can Captain America wield Thor's hammer? I thought only Thor could even lift it, much less use it in battle.

I'm amazed at the number of famous actors and actresses in this movie. It would probably have made for shorter credits to list all the people who weren't in the movie than the other way around. A couple of the cameos really surprised me, but they probably shouldn't have given how mainstream superhero movies have become.

I think of all the characters, I was most surprised by how The Hulk was portrayed.

The trash-talking raccoon with the dual six-guns and spaceship stood out as unbelievably absurd in a movie filled with fantasy.

And on a more serious note, I was really touched by all the family references - parents, children, the circle of life, and so forth.

sandydandy
April 30th, 2019, 11:15 AM
How can Captain America wield Thor's hammer? I thought only Thor could even lift it, much less use it in battle. Cap is worthy. Back in the first Thor movie Odin put a spell/enchantment on Mjolnir that whoever is worthy shall receive the power of Thor. That's why he could lift it, throw it and even summon lightning with it.

No such enchantment exists on Stormbreaker, so technically anyone can lift it provided they're physically strong enough. That's why Thanos was able to use it as well when he was trying to drive it through Thor's chest.

George
April 30th, 2019, 11:20 AM
No such enchantment exists on Stormbreaker, so technically anyone can lift it provided they're physically strong enough. That's why Thanos was able to use it as well when he was trying to drive it through Thor's chest.

Ah, that must be the battle axe. Very cool. Thanks!

sandydandy
April 30th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Ah, that must be the battle axe. Very cool. Thanks!

Yeah.

Hammer: Mjolnir
Battle-axe: Your wif--uhh, Stormbreaker

:D

speedpimp
April 30th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Not sure if I am the only person here watching Barry or not, but this past episode was the best one of the season.

Freude am Fahren
April 30th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Just started this week, after putting it off while watching a bunch of other stuff. Loving it so far.

Dicknose
April 30th, 2019, 05:28 PM
After Life

not bad, its typical Gervais - he played an annoying wanker, but he is not a mean prick, just apathetic to the point of not caring about social graces.
Only watched a couple of eps, not sure on the longevity and if the characters can go anywhere.

MR2 Fan
April 30th, 2019, 05:35 PM
finally decided to start watching GOT...up to season 4....oh and I love Natalie Dormer

JoeW
April 30th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Yes her character was fantastic. That whole storyline is great.

sandydandy
April 30th, 2019, 07:03 PM
finally decided to start watching GOT...up to season 4....oh and I love Natalie Dormer Awesome. Here I thought I was the only latecomer to GoT. And yes she is lovely.

Dicknose
May 1st, 2019, 01:59 AM
Awesome. Here I thought I was the only latecomer to GoT. And yes she is lovely.

And takes after her grandmother in terms of being practical... did you want my brother to help, he can get you started?

tigeraid
May 1st, 2019, 03:20 AM
Endgame:

I dunno that I wanna watch any more Marvel movies now. I probably will, but still... I've read Iron Man since I was six, since the mid-fucking 80s... To see him realized so perfectly on the screen, and to have his character arc all wrapped up so perfectly... Right in the feels. A couple of manly tears were shed.

Cap's was also quite good, even though it broke the time travel rules THEY laid out in the movie. I hate inconsistency like that. Ah well. He was the guy who never got that last dance, who spent an entire series of movies not able to get out of the war, not able to let go of the past, and in the end, he had the ability to go back and finish it the way he wanted. And him wielding Mjolnir, while expected, was tremendous.

Also happy to see Hawkeye have something to do in this finally. That cold open with him losing his family to the snap was cooooooold blooooooooodeeeeeed.

speedpimp
May 1st, 2019, 03:48 AM
Endgame:

Cap's was also quite good, even though it broke the time travel rules THEY laid out in the movie.
Just go with it, that's what I did.

JoshInKC
May 1st, 2019, 03:55 AM
Not sure if I am the only person here watching Barry or not, but this past episode was the best one of the season.

Yeah - it was a weird ep in terms of what the show normally does, but it was damn funny.
"WHAT ARE YOU?!"

sandydandy
May 1st, 2019, 05:41 AM
And takes after her grandmother in terms of being practical... did you want my brother to help, he can get you started? Haha yeah. That was great. Bizarre but great. I like her crooked smile.

Endgame:

I dunno that I wanna watch any more Marvel movies now. I probably will, but still... I've read Iron Man since I was six, since the mid-fucking 80s... To see him realized so perfectly on the screen, and to have his character arc all wrapped up so perfectly... Right in the feels. A couple of manly tears were shed.

Cap's was also quite good, even though it broke the time travel rules THEY laid out in the movie. I hate inconsistency like that. Ah well. He was the guy who never got that last dance, who spent an entire series of movies not able to get out of the war, not able to let go of the past, and in the end, he had the ability to go back and finish it the way he wanted. And him wielding Mjolnir, while expected, was tremendous.

Also happy to see Hawkeye have something to do in this finally. That cold open with him losing his family to the snap was cooooooold blooooooooodeeeeeed. Like Rich said, just go with it. I was overanalyzing at first, but now it’s like whatever.

George
May 1st, 2019, 10:36 AM
Also happy to see Hawkeye have something to do in this finally.

I'm not going to keep posting about how clueless I was during Endgame, but I can't help remarking that he was the guy who, more than any of the others I didn't know or recognize, made me keep wondering to myself, "Who IS that guy?" After the scene in Japan, I was thinking, "Hmm, maybe this guy is a Highlander."

Without a super-suit and not having been called by his super-name (that I noticed), I was clueless until I had to finally whisper to my son, "Who is he?" I was happier once I knew, perhaps two hours into the movie. And yes, he did have a solid role. What's up with that haircut, though? Did all the good barbers get killed in the last movie? :lol:

For what it's worth, the other guy I didn't know but who made me run to the nearest internet-connected device as soon as we got home turned out to be Falcon, who I think I remember from late '70s Captain America comic books.

Non-spoiler: I checked Netflix last night and was pleased to see that Thor: Ragnarok and a couple/few other recent Marvel movies are available now. I hope to make the time to watch at least one over the weekend with the kids.

MR2 Fan
May 1st, 2019, 11:07 AM
I'm trying to imagine the people's reaction who decided to go to End Game only hearing about the box office records and having never watched another MCU film

JSGeneral
May 2nd, 2019, 03:38 AM
Non-spoiler: I checked Netflix last night and was pleased to see that Thor: Ragnarok and a couple/few other recent Marvel movies are available now. I hope to make the time to watch at least one over the weekend with the kids.

George-- Thor: Ragnarok is GREAT. Quite funny and good character development. May I be so bold as to suggest another Marvel movie to put on your short list. Captain America: Winter Soldier. It's a great super-hero movie AND a great spy movie. It is also a great Captain America story, a great Black Widow story, a great Falcon story, and even a great Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson) story all wrapped into one. It sounds too good to be true, but it really is. It also will give you great context and flavor to a certain elevator scene you've just watched.

JoeW
May 2nd, 2019, 04:19 AM
Agreed to the above. Ragnarok was as entertaining as Guardians of the Galaxy. Just good fun.

sandydandy
May 2nd, 2019, 05:37 AM
More Endgame stuff.

Found this video showing crazy audience reactions through key scenes of Endgame. This was from a theater in LA. I swear it was the exact thing I experienced here, (except no Don Cheadle here to introduce the movie. :(). I listed to it with headphones on and the volume up and it gave me shivers. Maniacal cheering through the Cap/Mjolnir scene, different characters coming out of the portals to join the fight and “Avengers Assemble!” People’s reactions are universal. We’re all sheep.

It’s nice to watch (err, listen) to this, because I doubt I’ll ever experience anything like it again.
EDIT - Blast it Disney blocked the video. Disregard this whole post.

George
May 2nd, 2019, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, gents! Looking forward to those, and others.

MR2 Fan
May 7th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Tried watching Jurassic World: Forbidden Kingdom.....couldn't maintain my interest much as it felt just like a "by the numbers" dinosaur film. The only unique part was the volcano.

Cam
May 7th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Saw Avengers: Endgame today. I read a plot synopsis a couple of days ago and thought it may be hokey. I was wrong. It was really great.

Leon
May 7th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Chernobyl. Jebus, grim stuff.

JoeW
May 8th, 2019, 06:58 AM
But was it good? I was thinking of watching it.

tigeraid
May 8th, 2019, 07:48 AM
It has Jared Harris. So I will watch.

(Also: watch The Terror, which also has Jared Harris, if you have not. It's astounding.)

dodint
May 8th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Interesting:

Ford v. Ferrari is an upcoming action biographical drama film directed by James Mangold. It stars Christian Bale and Matt Damon while Caitriona Balfe, Noah Jupe, Remo Girone, Jon Bernthal and Tracy Letts have been signed in supporting roles.[2] The film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby and his British driver, Ken Miles, who are dispatched by Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca with the mission of building from scratch an entirely new automobile with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France.

It is scheduled to be released on November 15, 2019, by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures under the 20th Century Fox banner.

speedpimp
May 8th, 2019, 12:21 PM
It has Jared Harris. So I will watch.

(Also: watch The Terror, which also has Jared Harris, if you have not. It's astounding.)

Bought it on Blu-ray when Target had a big sale. Gotten through the first four episodes so far. Pretty interesting.

Leon
May 8th, 2019, 12:40 PM
But was it good? I was thinking of watching it.

Yup, I enjoyed it, but be concious if you're not in a happy place in your frame of mind, it's fairly disturbing. I find disaster / real stories do get to me quite badly though.

SportWagon
May 8th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Interesting:

Ford v. Ferrari is an upcoming action biographical drama film directed by James Mangold. It stars Christian Bale and Matt Damon while Caitriona Balfe, Noah Jupe, Remo Girone, Jon Bernthal and Tracy Letts have been signed in supporting roles.[2] The film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby and his British driver, Ken Miles, who are dispatched by Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca with the mission of building from scratch an entirely new automobile with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France.

It is scheduled to be released on November 15, 2019, by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures under the 20th Century Fox banner.

Hmm. Apparently David Hobbs was driving a Ferrari that year. (For a private British team, I think) (I.e. if I read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans correctly).

It wasn't until 1968 he drove a Ford GT40. And in 1969 he finished 3rd co-driving one with Mike Hailwood.

Tom Servo
May 9th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Last night's What We Do In The Shadows was brilliant.

JoshInKC
May 10th, 2019, 03:47 AM
"They say I turned a baby into a vampire and left it in the Bronx. I would never do that! Who would do such a thing?"

JoeW
May 10th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Yeah best one so far...all star guest lineup was hilarious.

As they were all down in the hole with Colin over them with the umbrella...He's feeding on us right now!

Tom Servo
May 10th, 2019, 08:22 AM
That gnawing-at-air face Colin has when he's feeding just kills me every single time. Speaking of, down at the ruins at Teotihuacan in Mexico, there was one guy from Sacramento in our group that was just constantly cornering people to talk to them all about how he'd been to Chichen Itza as well, and whatever random topic he could sucker them into a conversation about, and Michele and I are 99.9% sure he was a daywalker. It didn't help that once we saw him walking away and kinda tried to pretend we didn't notice him, then when we looked back he was gone. Big, open area, and we have no idea where the hell he went, he just came wandering up from a different direction a few seconds later. Energy vampires are real.

Was nice to see Jemaine and Taika make an appearance, too.

JoeW
May 10th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Agreed. Peewee, Danny Trejo, Snipes, Evan Rachel Wood...just so funny.

Cam
May 11th, 2019, 03:46 AM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Phenominal.

Alan P
May 11th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Phenominal.

Best Spiderman movie so far? Possibly. It's that good.

speedpimp
May 11th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Agreed. Peewee, Danny Trejo, Snipes, Evan Rachel Wood...just so funny.

Tilda Swinton and Dave Batista as well.

sandydandy
May 11th, 2019, 09:07 PM
Watched Shattered Memories. Thriller/mystery that had a tremendous buildup but ended flat on its face.

Freude am Fahren
May 12th, 2019, 05:01 AM
Finally saw Endgame. Pretty well done. Some plot holes/points annoy me, but they did in Infinity War too.

I guess I should go back and read all the discussion here now.

JoeW
May 16th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Latest Shadows episode is hilarious. It’s just getting better.

Tom Servo
May 16th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Oooh, the wife is out of town tonight so that means I have to wait until tomorrow night, but am very much looking forward to this.

JoshInKC
May 16th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Yeah, Shadows has no right to be as good as it is.
A 1/2 hour adaptation of an amazing semi-obscure movie? Starring none of the original cast?
And its incredible right out of the gate? - Borderline impossible.

Dicknose
May 16th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Ok - Im going to try Shadows!

Just watched Dead to Me - quite enjoyed it. Christina Applegate does the "dont give a shit" style realy well. Interesting to see a black comedy with a new premise that worked.

Leon
May 16th, 2019, 07:05 PM
I like Shadows :) Which is a relief, because I fucking loved the movie, as it is set where I live, so was packed full of Wellingtonisms that made me chuckle.

Excellent adaptation.

Freude am Fahren
May 16th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I just watched from the 3rd episode to current (8 I think) today. It just gets better and better.

Tom Servo
May 16th, 2019, 10:35 PM
Ok - Im going to try Shadows!

Just watched Dead to Me - quite enjoyed it. Christina Applegate does the "dont give a shit" style realy well. Interesting to see a black comedy with a new premise that worked.

Dead to Me's been really good so far too. I think we're about halfway through it.

JoeW
May 17th, 2019, 02:32 AM
I watched a couple episodes of Dead to Me...liked it a little but I think I’m done. I think I expected it to be funny more often. There is too much seriousness and not enough funny to be billed as a comedy.

MR2 Fan
May 17th, 2019, 06:16 AM
finally watched Ready Player One...I enjoyed it, especially parts in The Shining. Some of it was silly, like the typical villain, but good overall.

MR2 Fan
May 19th, 2019, 01:30 PM
REA(L)OVE....a Japanese "reality" dating show on Netflix where 10 men and 8 women have a DARK secret that's revealed slowly over 3 days. It's terrible....I binged watched it :)

speedpimp
May 19th, 2019, 01:38 PM
John Wick 3 is so damned awesome.

SportWagon
May 21st, 2019, 02:42 PM
Happened to see Adam West guest-starring as a guy named "Kermit", in some other sitcom.

speedpimp
May 21st, 2019, 03:56 PM
Happened to see Adam West guest-starring as a guy named "Kermit", in some other sitcom.

1964 episode of Bewitched.

Tom Servo
May 24th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Friend recommended a Finnish road-trip/romantic comedy about a black metal band trying to make it big at a Norwegian metal festival to me. Heavy Trip (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JN1KBH1?pf_rd_p=76bd99fd-409f-46a4-9ff6-b66b5703e95b&pf_rd_r=WM7NEX6Y0A1DDMAZVX2N) was definitely a lot better than I expected, but had its hokey moments. Not great, but worth a watch, especially if you are in any way familiar with black metal. Did a good job of laughing at the absurdity of the genre while not being demeaning - kinda like Spinal Tap, good at making fun of its subject while also loving its subject.

And now I see Until the Light Takes Us is on Amazon Prime Streaming as well. Looks like I'm staying up too late.

speedpimp
May 25th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Heavy Trip is fucking awesome.

dodint
May 30th, 2019, 06:19 AM
For the last few weeks I have been watching, on Amazon Prime, an older Canadian sitcom called Corner Gas. It isn't terribly innovative in terms of format, but it was shot on site in Saskatchewan. If you've ever watched any sitcom where the sets were obviously badly done (Friends, etc) and you wondered what it would look like if they shot a sitcom like a drama and just went on location for a lot of it, this is it. It kind of has a The Office vibe but without the fourth wall faux-documentary mechanism. The writing on Corner Gas is very sarcastic and dry, but without being dark. Borderline campy but it doesn't cross the line very often. Just a really well done show that I delight in watching.

This is kind of it in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xI5lOQCSY

Corner Gas on Amazon Prime. Look for the live action show; they did a cartoon spinoff later on that is also on Prime.

Leon
May 30th, 2019, 05:58 PM
Okay, that looks appealing.

I see Terry Pratchett's Good Omens has dropped.

!!!!!!!!

JoeW
May 30th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Don’t let the witches steal your semen :)

JoshInKC
May 30th, 2019, 07:49 PM
"It says I'm 100% white."

The funeral was quite amazing.

Freude am Fahren
May 31st, 2019, 06:31 AM
Pinata farmers.

:lol: can't wait for the next season.

speedpimp
May 31st, 2019, 02:51 PM
If you liked Corner Gas you could give Letterkenny a go.

The twist in WWDITS was funny.

I'll get into Good Omens sometime over the weekend.

Leon
May 31st, 2019, 09:15 PM
Now I'm mid Corner Gas binge ...

Tom Servo
June 1st, 2019, 08:26 PM
Holy shit, Fleabag on Amazon Prime is amazing.

Tom Servo
June 1st, 2019, 09:00 PM
And now we also finally watched the end of WWDITS - goddamn that was great.

JoshInKC
June 2nd, 2019, 05:47 AM
Fleabag is great. The first season was pretty close to perfect, and then the second somehow surpassed it.

I saw the Deadwood movie. I loved it, and it was a great ending to one of the greatest shows of all time. But at the same time the entire experience was bittersweet because now I have to go back to missing it - probably forever.

sandydandy
June 2nd, 2019, 07:59 AM
Saw Ben is Back. Was okay.

speedpimp
June 2nd, 2019, 11:18 AM
Godzilla is amazing.

Phil_SS
June 3rd, 2019, 08:43 AM
I saw the Deadwood movie. I loved it, and it was a great ending to one of the greatest shows of all time. But at the same time the entire experience was bittersweet because now I have to go back to missing it - probably forever.

Totally agree. At least the show got to say goodbye with a proper ending. And a big congratulations to the cast and crew, even after a 12 year hiatus, for providing top notch acting and production. :up: It was like they picked right up where they left off.

Godzilla is amazing.

I loved it as well. Long live the King!

SportWagon
June 3rd, 2019, 01:06 PM
Last night (early this morning) I caught the last half-hour of The Cars That Ate Paris (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cars_That_Ate_Paris).

From that restricted perspective, it seemed like one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Apparently it is a cult film.

Freude am Fahren
June 3rd, 2019, 06:55 PM
Watched Glass. Pretty terrible.

I like M. Night Shyamalan's style of film making, but he can't write worth shit.

balki
June 3rd, 2019, 07:24 PM
Godzilla is amazing.
vs

It received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for the visual effects, musical score, and action sequences but criticism aimed at the underdeveloped human characters and thin storyline
Sorry Rich, I have to side with the critics here; too many visuals, too much action. I want my monster movies to have lots of humans with lots of dialogue.

JoeW
June 3rd, 2019, 07:51 PM
vs

Sorry Rich, I have to side with the critics here; too many visuals, too much action. I want my monster movies to have lots of humans with lots of dialogue.

Lmao

sandydandy
June 4th, 2019, 05:17 AM
Watched Captain Marvel again and loved it. Kids are vehemently refusing to watch it because they don’t like her. I think her rather obnoxious depiction in Endgame is what’s turned them off to her character. I can understand. That notwithstanding, I refuse to watch Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse in protest of their refusal to watch CM.

Tom Servo
June 4th, 2019, 06:51 AM
I guess it was announced about a month ago, but news to me that Shadows has been picked up for a second season on FX. I am very happy about this.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-renewed-season-2-fx-1203207690/

speedpimp
June 4th, 2019, 04:09 PM
vs

You're so right, Al. Every kaiju movie should resemble an Merchant-Ivory production.

tigeraid
June 5th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Chernobyl, if anyone missed it, was absolutely riveting. Watch it.

Jared Harris is one of those guys like Anthony Hopkins, where we only realize he's one of the best actors on the planet when he's in his 50s.

Tom Servo
June 5th, 2019, 12:54 PM
So, I'll put this in a spoiler but:

I am super excited to watch Chernobyl, as is the wife. We figured we'd wait until all five eps were out, then subscribe via Amazon Prime and binge. However, my wife really, really does not do well with scenes showing harm coming to animals and I gather that there's at least one pretty tough to watch scene in that vein. How bad is it?

tigeraid
June 5th, 2019, 01:01 PM
It's a couple of kinda long extended scenes of putting down the radiated pets. It's not graphic in that the animals are shot off screen, focusing on the shooter instead. But it's pretty somber and sad, and you do see the carcasses being disposed of.

You could just fast forward through the scenes, it's Episode 4, and it's pretty much just that one young soldier walking around an industrial area, and then briefly an apartment complex.

Tom Servo
June 5th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the description. That sounds like something that I might have to fast forward for her, but it's on the edge of what she'd be okay with. I follow Craig Mazin on Twitter (ever since he started in on how Ted Cruz was his college roommate and is a total hypocrite) and between a couple of comments and him reassuring people that no animals were actually hurt, I knew that was a potentially dicey one.

It's also fun watching him spar with far-right folk who appear to have missed the point.

dodint
June 5th, 2019, 02:18 PM
I watched the first episode of Chernobyl and liked it a lot. Problem is I've watched all of Deadwood, but Ash hasn't, so we're pushing through 2+ seasons of that so we can watch the movie together this summer. Not sure how to fit Chernobyl back in since both series are kind of heavy.

Tom Servo
June 5th, 2019, 02:21 PM
One thing I've been trying to figure out is how to file shows away for "well, shoot, there's nothing on the Tivo" moments. I haven't found a great way to remind myself about shows I wanted to watch but, for whatever reason, just weren't in the cards at that exact moment.

dodint
June 5th, 2019, 02:30 PM
It's pretty rudimentary but I use Google Keep which is just a note taking app. With our school/work/life schedules I tend to just accidentally cold turkey stuff for years. Boston Legal has been cliffhung since I got back from Iraq in '09. I'm actually watching The Practice all the way through before I rewatch Boston Legal. :lol:

Behind:
Turn (22 eps)
Mr. Robot (11 eps+1 season)
Boston Legal (1 season)
Dexter (2 seasons)
Deadwood (2+ seasons)
House of Cards (2+ seasons)
Fargo (1 season)
Crashing (1 season)
Black Mirror (1 season and movie)

In the queue:
American Gods
Ozark
Goliath
Breaking Bad
Billions (maybe?)

Tom Servo
June 5th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Keep might be a solid option, especially since we're both on Android. I was trying to figure out something that's cross-streaming-platform but also synced between the two of us, the challenge will be to remember to look at the list when it's that or some horrible Gordon Ramsey thing that we have recorded so it shows up in our normal list of "what's available to watch"

It'd be really cool if I could inject shows into the "Now Playing" list on the Tivo...maybe now that they're once again facing serious financial problems, we can convince them to open source things, or at least open up some APIs. Like you, we've started things and then just sorta forgot they were there, we did that with House of Cards, Ozark, and Breaking Bad. Well, it's a combination of both forgetting they're there and the other thing you mentioned - sometimes you can only take so many "heavy" shows/episodes in one go when you're really just trying to unwind after a long day.