PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

tigeraid
December 20th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Want to watch, but holding back until Tara and I finish The Expanse.

Cam
December 20th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Lori and I just started watching The Expanse. We will not be binging it, so four seasons will take a while. I am sure another season or two will be out by the time we get done the fourth.

JoeW
December 20th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Well I was out of commission today and finished The Witcher...mind blown. They better not wait a year to bring more episodes.

JoeW
December 22nd, 2019, 08:57 PM
Watched For All Mankind. Excellent!

Leon
December 23rd, 2019, 01:13 AM
That turned out better than I had hoped :)

Which reminds me, must go looking to see if there's another episode

tigeraid
December 23rd, 2019, 07:34 AM
Lori and I just started watching The Expanse. We will not be binging it, so four seasons will take a while. I am sure another season or two will be out by the time we get done the fourth.

Stick with it, it's worth it.

JoshInKC
December 23rd, 2019, 07:34 AM
Started Castlerock on hulu after a few recommendations - It's much better than I assumed it would be. I figured it'd be "Hey, look at this stephen king reference! and this one!" But while there is a little of that, it tends to be pretty subtle and not just an adaptation of a story he wrote.

Blerpa
December 23rd, 2019, 08:03 AM
Watchmen - the series. First good work by Lindelof (aside from the first season of Lost), I commend it to him since his career both on tv and cinema has been completely full of garbage. I really liked it.
Few bad or banal things (Lady Trieu, anyone?), but very very good.

The Witcher the series. I'm at third episode. Terrible. Cavill voice tone is good, although he looks in cosplay, his fights are decent. The rest is abysmal. Anonymous photography, seemingly lifted by 90's tv shows like Hercules, but in HD, and without the humour.
Bad acting, mediocre stories, nilfgaardian armours make my eyes drop tears of blood, and Triss Merigold looks like a 47 year old countryside hairdresser.
King Foltest appears as a chunky spineless man, oh dear.
The only interesting character? Yennefer.

Cam
December 23rd, 2019, 01:40 PM
In front of the new Star Wars movie, there was an ad for Prime Video that contained spoilers for The Expanse. :rolleyes: :lol:

speedpimp
December 24th, 2019, 05:07 PM
Saw Uncut Gems today and enjoyed the shit out of it. Sandler is excellent.

The latest adaptation of A Christmas Carol. This one will probably take a few sittings to finish.

JoeW
December 27th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Finally got around to Chernobyl. Powerful.

dodint
December 27th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Good pun, A++. Would read again.

Tom Servo
December 27th, 2019, 09:10 PM
My wife's favorite movie, Xanadu, came out on Blu-Ray and I got it for her for Christmas. Watched it with her folks. She sang along. It was the best.

JoeW
December 28th, 2019, 05:04 AM
Oh I loved me some Xanadu and Olivia back in the day.

sandydandy
December 28th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Watching the series Kevin Hart: Don’t F**k This Up. Halfway through and it’s fantastic so far. I’ve never been a big Kevin Hart fan, just never found him to be particularly funny. He’s always seemed to be more of a showman rather than being able to tell good jokes. I’m more of a Dave Chappelle and Russell Peters kind of guy, but Peters’ work is pure fucking garbage now.

I may give Hart another look after finishing this.

Blerpa
January 10th, 2020, 09:34 AM
The Witcher: terrible series. 4.5 score. Amateurish and mediocre.
The Mandalorian: excellent. Well written, well shot, 100% Star Wars. Great space opera vibe in western guise with japanese iconic narratives mixed in it.
Entourage (the movie): I had fun, Ari Gold character cracks me up all the time.

sandydandy
January 13th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Watched all ten episodes of Messiah. It was so good and exhilarating that I blew through it all in one sitting. Seven hour binge watch. Highly recommended.

JoeW
January 17th, 2020, 01:41 PM
This may be old or shit news or both but I read that Watchmen was dead in the water because the main show runner quit because he told the story he wanted to tell in season 1. And HBO has said they won’t do a season 2 without him involved.

That would be a bummer.

speedpimp
January 17th, 2020, 03:34 PM
And Mindhunter appears to be over due to David Fincher's schedule conflicts. Everyone has bee released from their contracts.

FaultyMario
January 17th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Seriously, that sucks! I was looking forward to season 3. The older detective was ace.

JoeW
January 17th, 2020, 09:41 PM
Just saw John Wick 3...I don’t think I can describe the experience accurately :)

Yw-slayer
January 18th, 2020, 08:34 AM
"Intense" is my effort.

speedpimp
January 18th, 2020, 09:19 AM
Steamrolled through Messiah. When I thought they were going to go one way with it they went another way.

JoeW
January 18th, 2020, 11:01 AM
"Intense" is my effort.

I distinctly remember shouting/laughing with surprise and glee when they were doing damage with the armor piercing shotguns.

Cam
January 24th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Started watching The Boys. I am intrigued. It is quite macabre, however.

speedpimp
January 25th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Cam, it is dark but really good. If you like that and have access to HBO then give Watchmen a try. That one is really good.

Cam
January 25th, 2020, 07:55 AM
I did not say I stopped watching. :D

I do not have HBO.

speedpimp
January 25th, 2020, 07:57 AM
You can get it as an add-on channel through Prime. Well worth it if you ask me.

dodint
January 25th, 2020, 08:19 AM
The Outsider is good. It's really sticking to the book which is rare for a King min-series adaptation.

sandydandy
January 25th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Watched the Captive and Mile 22. Both were excellent. Thanks to me bruv for suggesting the latter. I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

JoeW
January 27th, 2020, 04:24 PM
So there is a new series on Netflix called October Faction I’ve started watching. I don’t want to over sell it but I really like the story so far. Kind of a more sophisticated version of Supernatural.

Cam
January 27th, 2020, 07:06 PM
/me eagerly waits for season 2 of The Boys.

speedpimp
January 28th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Me too. Season two of Watchmen as well.

speedpimp
January 29th, 2020, 05:34 PM
So there is a new series on Netflix called October Faction I’ve started watching. I don’t want to over sell it but I really like the story so far. Kind of a more sophisticated version of Supernatural.

This is really good.

Yw-slayer
January 29th, 2020, 06:17 PM
I distinctly remember shouting/laughing with surprise and glee when they were doing damage with the armor piercing shotguns.

“Guns...”

Cam
January 29th, 2020, 07:39 PM
Saw Weathering With You tonight. I was emotionally moved.

JSGeneral
January 30th, 2020, 05:49 AM
Have you all seen the Diecast Rally Racing League? It's quite entertaining!

https://youtu.be/JUEDZmOCqa0

Cam
January 30th, 2020, 06:11 AM
That is so well-done! :)

SportWagon
January 31st, 2020, 01:03 PM
Matchbox did make slot car sets which used a chain(long spring) drive in the track to drag diecast cars around by a pin stuck onto them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchbox_(brand)#Matchbox_Motorways

And apparently later in the brand's history, they did make traditional electric slot car tracks.

Actually I think I was thinking that was XHawkeye in the Miscellaneous thread...

MR2 Fan
January 31st, 2020, 01:54 PM
I had a slot car as a kid, in one of the few places with slot car tracks.

I had a slower class car....the fastest speed ones were just too fast for me to actually see what's going on and I don't know how others do it.

MR2 Fan
February 1st, 2020, 05:11 PM
Watched F8...fate of the furious since F9 is coming out soon....another enjoyable, completely insane romp without anything based in reality....

sandydandy
February 1st, 2020, 09:00 PM
I’m going to pass on Fast 9. I hate John Cena and his character seems stupid. Not to mention, Han being alive is idiotic and makes no sense. Seems like they’re just trying to milk the franchise for every last dime.

Leon
February 1st, 2020, 11:39 PM
I can't even remember the number of the last FF I watched, but it was just so terrible I think I noped out in under ten minutes, deleted it, and swore I'd never waste another minute of my life on the series.

speedpimp
February 2nd, 2020, 09:38 AM
So F9 has no Rock/Statham, but Helen Mirren is present, as are Michael Rooker, Cardi B and Charlize Theron. Still up in the air on this one. If they're going to try and top Hobbs & Shaw they've got their work cut out for them.

JoeW
February 2nd, 2020, 11:32 AM
So I decided to try two new foreign series on Netflix.

Ragnarok is a Norwegian series. (Modern Norse Mythology stuff)

Luna Nera is a Spanish series. (Witch magic stuff)

Both have been pleasant surprises with excellent English dubbing if you don’t speak Norwegian or Spanish.

Blerpa
February 2nd, 2020, 01:03 PM
Luna Nera (Black Moon) is italian.
It has aired yesterday on italian Netflix and it has already been heavily criticized for serious historical inaccuracies and so on.
I've not seen it yet, so I cannot comment on it.

JoeW
February 2nd, 2020, 01:54 PM
Italian makes more sense. I didn’t look for any historical accuracy in a fantasy show about witches though :) I just assume it’s all fiction.

sandydandy
February 2nd, 2020, 05:43 PM
I can't even remember the number of the last FF I watched, but it was just so terrible I think I noped out in under ten minutes, deleted it, and swore I'd never waste another minute of my life on the series. Fast Five is by far the best one. Furious 6 is good too, (except the stupid runway scene). The rest are terrible, for the most part.

Anyway, I watched Mandela Effect last night and it was quite good.

Dicknose
February 3rd, 2020, 01:41 PM
Fast Five is by far the best one. Furious 6 is good too, (except the stupid runway scene). The rest are terrible, for the most part.

So you have to get past the original then...

Also just watched Ragnarok - interesting, moves slowly but feels nicely paced, not rushing everything.

JoeW
February 3rd, 2020, 02:56 PM
I loved the backdrop town location. What a view. Would love to live there.

Saw Alita Battle Angel for the first time. I liked it a lot. I always seem to enjoy poorly reviewed movies. I hope for a sequel to conclude the story.

dodint
February 3rd, 2020, 04:55 PM
So F9 has no Rock/Statham, but Helen Mirren is present, as are Michael Rooker, Cardi B and Charlize Theron. Still up in the air on this one. If they're going to try and top Hobbs & Shaw they've got their work cut out for them.

John Cena, though. :(

And Cardi B is trash. This might be the first one I outright skip.

sandydandy
February 3rd, 2020, 07:03 PM
So you have to get past the original then.... Or you could just read a recap of what happens from 1-4. Then watch F5.

dodint
February 4th, 2020, 08:42 AM
Wasn't Helen Mirren playing Statham's Mom? And his other brother was killed, so...nevermind, I don't care.

speedpimp
February 4th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Yep, Dame Helen was Mrs. Shaw.

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2020, 04:54 PM
Fast5 was definitely the best of the series.

sandydandy
February 7th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Watched Mara the other day. It was alright. Great buildup, so-so ending. It stars Olga Kurylenko which is problematic, not because she’s a bad actress but because she’s so beautiful that her beauty becomes a distraction. A good problem to have, I’m sure.

MR2 Fan
February 8th, 2020, 08:16 PM
I watched Episode 1 of Lego Masters. I know one of the contestants as she also does 3D printing cosplay and goes to 3D printing festivals (twitter: @amiedoubleD)

I enjoyed it, though it has most of the typical reality show tropes....oh and 2 ladies from the Ozarks who annoy me....one said "my hair is big since it's closer to God". Definitely some...unique individuals on this one

JoeW
February 9th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Watching Locke and Key on Netflix. Quite good.

speedpimp
February 9th, 2020, 01:33 PM
Burned through Ragnarok. Really liked it.

Dicknose
February 9th, 2020, 02:49 PM
Burned through Ragnarok. Really liked it.

Its fun.

A decent plot hole did hit me... but didnt stop me enjoying it

But how do the giant kids stay at school and no one notice they arent aging or changing grade?
Forget over 100 year - how have they done just the last say 3 years and not moved grade?

Tom Servo
February 9th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Just caught the last two episodes of The Good Place. I'm bummed that we only get four seasons, but it was the right call to end the show. I can't think of a series finale I've seen in a long time that was that satisfying.

JoshInKC
February 9th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I teared up 3 times watching that.

speedpimp
February 10th, 2020, 01:44 PM
Its fun.

A decent plot hole did hit me... but didnt stop me enjoying it

But how do the giant kids stay at school and no one notice they arent aging or changing grade?
Forget over 100 year - how have they done just the last say 3 years and not moved grade?

Maybe they have a power that makes people forget/not notice things.

speedpimp
February 10th, 2020, 01:46 PM
I've been watching The Outsider. It's really good, but you really need to pay attention.

sandydandy
February 11th, 2020, 06:14 AM
Finished Better Call Saul season 4. It was really great, probably the best season to date.

Initially I thought the killing of Werner was kind of excessive and unnecessary, as I didn't think what he did was bad enough to warrant being executed...he really just wanted to hook up with his wife for a few days. But looking back I see the killing was absolutely crucial to elevate Mike's character, to really harden him and especially cement his loyalty to Gus. In return gain more of his respect and trust, setting the stage for Mike to be Gus' head goon above Victor, Tyrus and the rest of the henchmen. Can't wait for season 5!

JoeW
February 11th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Watched Uppity...Willy T Ribbs racing story. Pretty good. I can’t help thinking that he could have really been something special if he weren’t such an asshole.

Overcoming the barriers that he did took tremendous talent and effort. But I think he could have gotten a lot more support early on with a more humble and respectful approach rather than the fuck you approach.

Even in the current interviews he just has that “fuck those motherfuckers for not seeing my godlike talent and rewarding my bad attitude with a shower of sponsorships”. I don’t think he sees that he could have done anything better.

Jason
February 11th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Watched season two of Lost in Space, even better than season one. Does a good job of feel good family stuff + sci-fi drama.

Yobbo NZ
February 11th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Season 2 of Titans was pretty good.
It was setting up for a Batman and Superman appearance the whole time.
Bruce Wayne was a well picked character too, it actually suited that actor.

MR2 Fan
February 17th, 2020, 07:47 AM
I predict "Call of the Wild" is going to flop hard. A really old Harrison Ford and a CG dog in a random adventure doesn't seem to be that appealing

dodint
February 17th, 2020, 08:00 AM
The CG isn't very good, either.

speedpimp
February 17th, 2020, 03:02 PM
Caught Parasite yesterday. Very interesting movie.

sandydandy
February 19th, 2020, 05:34 AM
Watched Horse Girl last night. It was pure rubbish.

tigeraid
February 19th, 2020, 08:00 AM
Caught up on some movies. LOVED Parasite, totally worth the Best Picture nod. The Lighthouse was... brilliant, something I should probably watch again to pick up the little things but have NO desire to watch again.

And Color Out of Space, which I think is now firmly the best Lovecraft movie adaptation. Loved it. Despite the low budget.

Tom Servo
February 22nd, 2020, 08:42 AM
What We Do In The Shadows season 1 is on sale for $4.99 in HD on vudu.com. No idea how long-term-stable vudu.com is, but I figure at worst I'm out $4.99.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/What-We-Do-in-the-Shadows-Season-1/1085145

speedpimp
February 23rd, 2020, 08:41 AM
The Hunters on Prime. Al Pacino hunting Nastys? Really good.

sandydandy
February 24th, 2020, 10:11 PM
Watched Red Sparrow. I quite enjoyed it.

sandydandy
February 27th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Started on The Stranger. Only one episode in but I’m hooked. Several angles are set up, and I’m eager to see how they play out. Something tells me I’m going to enjoy this.

speedpimp
February 27th, 2020, 03:18 PM
On ep. 5 of The Stranger. It definitely holds your interest.
Burned through the entire season of I'm Not Okay With This yesterday. Another really good Netflix show.

Leon
February 27th, 2020, 11:23 PM
Oh damn, that reminds me, I never watched the last season of Stranger Things.

FaultyMario
February 28th, 2020, 05:12 AM
Season 2 of F1 Drive To Survive drops today.

sandydandy
February 29th, 2020, 09:58 AM
Finished The Stranger. It was excellent!

speedpimp
February 29th, 2020, 04:27 PM
Yes it was. Lots of twists and turns.

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2020, 08:32 AM
Watched several movies on my trip to Asia on ANA...quick rundown:

Joker - Honestly it went the way I expected...well acted, well done, but have no desire to watch it again

Bad Times at the El Royale - Really enjoyed this one...not sure how to compare it to others. Felt a little bit Tarantino (but honestly I'm not a huge fan of his). Jeff Bridges is awesome as Father Flynn (hoping they used Flynn as a nod to TRON), and really impressed by Cynthia Ervio's character (the black singer)...she really nails it and sings amazing.

Knives Out - No, I won't boycott Rian Johnson's other movies after TLJ...this one is good, but 30 mins too long...hey, just like TLJ. Daniel Craig is great in it. It's a bit like Clue meets Greedy for 80's-90's film fans

Bohemian Rhapsody - Well done and Rami Malek really throws himself into the performance. I didn't know much about Queen, though I have a friend who's a huge fan of theirs and it was interesting to see how they started

Ford vs Ferrari - Very good movie, I've been interested to see how historically accurate it is as I didn't know much about Ken Miles specifically

JoeW
March 6th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Watch “Shelby American” and “The 24 Hour War” on Netflix. Fantastic documentaries.

Yw-slayer
March 8th, 2020, 05:28 AM
On the way to and from Japan I watched

Uri: Surgical Strike
Something else that I now can't remember.
Terminator: Dark Fate (finished at home)

speedpimp
March 8th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Spenser Confidential on Netflix is a quick fun watch. Robert Urich and Avery Brooks would be proud.

Freude am Fahren
March 8th, 2020, 04:22 PM
I saw it had some bad critical reviews, which means it's probably a great way to spend 90 minutes or so. Which is pretty much the standard for Marky-Mark.

sandydandy
March 8th, 2020, 04:35 PM
I saw Every Time I Die, which I thought was pretty decent.

Leon
March 8th, 2020, 08:28 PM
I watched "Knives Out", which was a crime drama (?) that exceeded my expectations. Solid cast too.

JoeW
March 9th, 2020, 03:27 AM
If you have kids then Breeders on Hulu is funny as hell.

Watching Devs also. Seems decent. Slow burn murder mystery with some tech mystery thrown in for good measure.

speedpimp
March 10th, 2020, 01:47 PM
I watched "Knives Out", which was a crime drama (?) that exceeded my expectations. Solid cast too.

Knives Out is fucking amazing. A sequel is in the works and it would be even more awesome if Daniel Craig adopted a different accent for it. The whole cast was great, but Toni Collette really stood out.

Yw-slayer
March 11th, 2020, 09:21 AM
Now I remember what I watched on the plane: SPECTRE. :lol:

Watched a few Picard-centric episodes of TNG and also about half of the Red Dawn remake. Man, that sucked.

sandydandy
March 14th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Thinking of watching Contagion tonight. It’s #9 on the top 10 Canadian list on Netflix. Big surprise.

speedpimp
March 14th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Started watching the first three seasons of Penny Dreadful. Great show.

sandydandy
April 12th, 2020, 08:36 PM
Watched Tiger King. Seriously twisted.

George
April 12th, 2020, 09:50 PM
I didn’t know they remade Red Dawn. Don’t know whether to laugh or...laugh harder.

JoeW
April 17th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Of course WWDITS is back and fantastic.

What you need is a little updog....

Tom Servo
April 17th, 2020, 10:50 AM
What's updog?

George
April 17th, 2020, 01:08 PM
It's like a henway.

JoeW
April 17th, 2020, 01:35 PM
When he brought his grandmother's ghost back just to get her with the updog joke and then sent her packing directly after was hilarious.

speedpimp
April 17th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Watched both episodes with the subtitles on(following a suggestion from another board) and the scenes with Wallace are fucking fantastic.

Leon
April 17th, 2020, 05:25 PM
Rewatching The Guild.

Still awesome, and a fun example of when things were starting to "escape" from YouTube, and become a bit mainstream.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1138475/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The359
April 17th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Finished up the full series of Devs on FX/Hulu. Very good show, much better mystery than Picard was. Anyone who enjoyed Ex Machina would love this.

JoeW
April 18th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Devs was good. Slow burner.

neanderthal
April 18th, 2020, 09:37 AM
Just finished the latest season of Bosch, on Prime.

Fantastic show.

Tom Servo
April 18th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Though Haley Joel Osment was surprisingly entertaining on WWDITS as well.

Leon
April 18th, 2020, 02:41 PM
"Topher!"

JoeW
April 19th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Benedict Wong as the Necromancer. I love all the cameos...just great stuff.

JoshInKC
April 19th, 2020, 04:32 PM
"Sounds like you could use some updog."

"Can we get some now?"

sandydandy
April 20th, 2020, 05:36 AM
Watched Surviving R Kelly. Pretty fucking bizarre. Maybe because I’m a man I can’t understand how women flocked to him and remained with him under his thumb, being treated as subhumans. It’s so mind boggling. I heard he’s in jail awaiting trial and is pleading to get out because of the Coronavirus. :lol:

Also got mixed feelings about his music, being a huge fan of his going back to the 90’s. In fact, our wedding slow dance song was “I’m Your Angel”. So I’m on the fence about the whole “mute” movement.

Yw-slayer
April 20th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Watched S1 of Altered Carbon last week. Checking out S2 now.

JoshInKC
April 20th, 2020, 09:26 AM
S1 of Altered Carbon was good, I would give the second season a miss if I were you.

speedpimp
April 20th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Just finished the new season of Bosch and it was probably one of the best ones.

JoeW
April 20th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Please skip S2 of Altered Carbon if you want to keep your good opinion of the show.

Leon
April 20th, 2020, 07:48 PM
Oh, is it that bad? I'm an episode or maybe two into Season #2, and it hasn't grabbed me at all yet.

Godson
April 20th, 2020, 08:01 PM
I watched Jupiter Ascending. At first I wanted to just turn it off, because there was no plot, and half the characters were speaking so quiet I couldn't hear what they were saying. CC fixed that.

Ultimately, I really enjoyed the science fiction work. Had a cool twist to it. I'm glad I stuck through the beginning, as I really enjoyed it. Might watch it again, actually.

I also just watched Minority Report. I have never watched it to this day. I always wanted to, just never found the time.

I had the majority of the plotline figured out, except for the final twist. Again I enjoyed it. Probably won't watch it again.

What can I say, I like Sci-fi, especially when it deals with space.

JoshInKC
April 21st, 2020, 04:42 AM
Oh, is it that bad? I'm an episode or maybe two into Season #2, and it hasn't grabbed me at all yet.

Yeah, they managed to make a bunch of choices at a storytelling level which weren't great, and then did a number of bafflingly-bad errors in the actual production (It looks a lot cheaper than the first season, and a bunch of the actors' performances are just straight nonsense).
If you ever wondered if Anthony Mackie could be uninteresting and uncharismatic onscreen - Altered Carbon S2 is your evidence.

Leon
April 21st, 2020, 04:07 PM
Righto! Delete it time then, rather than invest time in it time.

speedpimp
April 24th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Been enjoying Better Things, Dave & Devs. Watched the first episode of Dispatches From Elsewhere, still need to finish it.

JoshInKC
April 24th, 2020, 06:19 PM
Devs was really good.

neanderthal
April 24th, 2020, 09:50 PM
I liked "Extraction" on Netflix. A mindless shoot em up hero movie with a great plot twist. Except they telegraphed that plot twist from a bullion miles away.

Thor's a pretty good actor.

Freude am Fahren
April 25th, 2020, 08:02 AM
Finally started Manifest, as I heard it was good. Had to give up about a third of the way through S1. Acting terrible, writing pretty bad. Intriguing premise, but just not worth it. Maybe I'll return when I start traveling again and need something short and mindless to watch on the plane.

Westworld Season 3 is like a completely new show. Enjoyable, but still somehow exciting and a slow burn at the same time. Just got renewed for S4.

Dave is great. The fucking milking table making a return at the BBQ :lol:

Need to start Devs and Dispatches from Elsewhere. Unfortunately AMC doesn't do the whole free backlog if you have it via cable, so the latter will have to wait until wide release.

What We Do In The Shadows is amazing as ever.

Brooklyn 99 still going strong :up:

I wasn't paying attention and didn't have my DVR setup for Better Call Saul and missed the first 4 or 5 episodes of the season. Might have to wait until it's on Netflix given the above problem with AMC.

Godson
April 25th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Ex machina.

Interesting.

Leon
April 26th, 2020, 02:24 AM
Really late to the party I know, I'm now up to season 2 of Letterkenny.

Bizarrely hilarious, and entirely unexpected.

mk
April 26th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Le Bureau des Légendes

SportWagon
May 4th, 2020, 05:25 PM
Every now-and-then since I currently tend to be home by 5:30pm I watch Happy Days reruns. Well, today they actually showed the forgotten episode where Fonzie and Jenny Piccolo end up getting married. I only caught about the last ten minutes, but it seemed even worse than that simple synopsis suggests.

I must have watched the (almost) entire series of Happy Days at least three times, but never ever seen that episode.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0596162/

MR2 Fan
May 5th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Watching Sucker Punch (on Hulu right now)....it makes absolutely no sense, but I'm enjoying it so far

Yw-slayer
May 8th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Finished Too Hot To Handle

Decided needed to watch something less vapid, so moved on to Terrace House 2019 and Midnight Gospel, both of which are excellent.

Watched a bit of Crash Landing On You but I don't think we can currently handle another relatively vapid show.

drew
May 8th, 2020, 11:15 AM
Started The Expanse today.

We went through Amazon's "Upload", it was something to watch.

sandydandy
May 9th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Watched Gemini, it wasn’t bad.

neanderthal
May 13th, 2020, 11:44 PM
I think we have a "what are you reading" thread but I cant be arsed to find it. It's 02:42 hrs and I have to get up in 5 hours to go see the doctor.

I just read something that had me enthralled in the story. Enjoy. (https://www.wired.com/story/confessions-marcus-hutchins-hacker-who-saved-the-internet/?utm_source=pocket-newtab)

sandydandy
May 14th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Man I didn't get around reading that whole article. Just when it started getting good they swerved and decided to do a full on exposition about the guy's background. Will re-read later. Looks really interesting.

Anyway I watched Extraction recently, it was quite good. As with most Hollywood movies with Indian actors and dialogue the subtitles were quite off the mark, but it's all good.

Also finally got around to watching Circle. This is a movie that I'd been skipping over for years on Netflix. Probably 3-4 years. Finally watched it and found it to be pointless and a thorough waste of time.

neanderthal
May 15th, 2020, 04:49 PM
For Life on Hulu.

It's got me hooked and they ain't even run the credits yet.

On recommendation from a friend I decided to chance it. I try to avoid series, they take up a lot of your time and i've got things to do. (I'm literally mid changing my transmission oil right now. Drained, refilled, but my battery was super weak, so i'm watching this while it charges.) Movies let me get my escapism fix and go back to life.

Tom Servo
May 15th, 2020, 09:25 PM
Mark Hamill was great on What We Do In The Shadows

Freude am Fahren
May 16th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Fuckin' Jackie Daytona :lol:

Tom Servo
May 16th, 2020, 12:58 PM
I love how they had me trying to guess whether he could see through the Jackie Daytona disguise or was completely mesmerized by it until the very end. That was fantastic.

In other news, Fred Willard died and that fucking sucks.

Kchrpm
May 16th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Watching the Mandalorian behind-the-scenes series on Disney+, really enjoying all of the talks with the people behind the series and Favreau and especially Filoni giving some deep info on the series and Star Wars in general.

dodint
May 16th, 2020, 06:35 PM
God damn was Uncut Gems an intense movie.

Kchrpm
May 16th, 2020, 08:41 PM
God damn was Uncut Gems an intense movie.

I saw such hugely varied takes on the movie, from it was amazing to it was terrible, that I just read the plot on Wikipedia. I don't foresee myself ever seeing it.

Sandler's character just sounds like a complete piece of fucking shit that is only redeemable because he's the lead character

JoshInKC
May 16th, 2020, 08:49 PM
Yeah, it was an incredible performance, but at the end the movie just left me kind of empty feeling.

dodint
May 17th, 2020, 07:28 PM
A movie review from a guy who formed his impression of the film third hand. Cool.

The pacing and rhythm of it the depiction is what's so different about it. You're not going to glean that from a plot summary.

I don't care if Keith or anyone else watches it. I just hope nobody chooses against it based on that hot take. The bit in the spoiler doesn't make sense, to boot.

JoshInKC
May 18th, 2020, 04:29 AM
To your point about the intensity - Yeah, Uncut Gems was paced in a way that completely unrelenting. I kept feeling like "This has to be ending soon, right?" but not in a bad way. It felt like the whole thing was the final act of Goodfellas, where Liotta is coked out of his mind, being followed by helicopters, delivering guns, and needs to mind the red sauce.
It's definitely some incredible film-making.

JSGeneral
May 18th, 2020, 05:48 AM
Just watched the first episode of the new TV series Snowpiercer (on TNT). I liked the action movie years ago of the same title, with actors in it who also played Captain America and the Ancient One... so I'd take a peek... figuring I knew where this story was going. BOY WAS I WRONG! The class system is still there, but there is a ton more suspense. Turns out it might be a murder mystery! (Eat your heart out "Murder On The Orient Express"!)

There is already enough great world building, characters, and plot suspense to keep me hooked until the next episode. Jennifer Connelly is great... showing a lot of range in her nefarious nuance. There's even a website where apparently people can design their own train car... and it might make it into a scene of a future episode of one of the 1001 cars of the Great Ark Train.

Kchrpm
May 18th, 2020, 09:49 AM
A movie review from a guy who formed his impression of the film third hand. Cool.

The pacing and rhythm of it the depiction is what's so different about it. You're not going to glean that from a plot summary.

I don't care if Keith or anyone else watches it. I just hope nobody chooses against it based on that hot take. The bit in the spoiler doesn't make sense, to boot.

Yeah, sorry, my point wasn't that the movie was bad, but that I have no interest in spending time with that character. I also haven't watched Breaking Bad for more than an episode, or any more than the last 20 minutes or so of The Sopranos.

dodint
May 18th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Right, wasn't trying to persuade you to watch. There is so much content out there that there is no reason to settle into something you'll have to pressure yourself to try and enjoy.

Julia Fox was worth watching though. And the novelty of Kevin Garnett playing himself in a substantial role never wore off.

Freude am Fahren
May 18th, 2020, 02:51 PM
For those watching What We Do In The Shadows, make sure you don't turn it off as soon as the credits start. They've been doing mid-credits scenes.

speedpimp
May 18th, 2020, 05:11 PM
Steamrolled through Upload. Really good show on Prime.
Slowly working my way through Little Fires Everywhere and Normal People.

I enjoyed Uncut Gems, saw it twice in the theater and then bought it on disc. Part of what makes the movie so intense is the music. Sandler is so damned good here. The scene with Sandler and Garnett is a classic. The Safdie Brothers(the directors) first movie(Good Time with a non-sparkly, non-vampiry Robert Pattinson, is on Prime and worth a look.

Tom Servo
May 18th, 2020, 07:16 PM
For those watching What We Do In The Shadows, make sure you don't turn it off as soon as the credits start. They've been doing mid-credits scenes.

Whew, thankfully I have the past four episodes saved.

Tom Servo
May 18th, 2020, 07:24 PM
Surprising fun fact - the woman who plays Nadja and the guy with the teeth on Fleabag are siblings.

Tom Servo
May 19th, 2020, 06:02 PM
Watched the first two episodes of Never Have I Ever on Netflix. I like it so far, it's got a Wonder Years/Freaks and Geeks kinda vibe to it.

Blerpa
May 20th, 2020, 01:40 AM
Freaks and Geeks? Really? I've to give it a look, then! Thanks for the suggestion, Brian!

sandydandy
May 20th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Watched the first two episodes of Never Have I Ever on Netflix. I like it so far, it's got a Wonder Years/Freaks and Geeks kinda vibe to it. I only watched the first episode so far and thought it was hilarious. Will get around to watching the rest soon.

Tom Servo
May 20th, 2020, 08:34 AM
I've binged up to episode 9 right now. I think it's great and am bummed there's only one more episode to go for this season.

mk
May 21st, 2020, 07:55 AM
Bodyguard season 1.

IMDB has 8,1 for it.
Maybe first half.

dodint
May 21st, 2020, 10:23 AM
Watched the first episode of Trial by Media on Netflix. It was pretty compelling, followed the shooting and subsequent trials involving the Jenny Jones Show murder.

That said, the Netflix 'style' of documentaries is a thing and it's getting harder to tell them apart.

Tom Servo
May 22nd, 2020, 12:51 PM
Hollywood Reporter are saying that What We Do In The Shadows has been picked up for season 3.

Leon
May 22nd, 2020, 05:30 PM
I hope so ... also, I hope it leads to more people going back to see the movie.

Because that's set in Wellington, which is where I live. The movie is totally about weird flatmates, and living in Wellington. Virtually nothing to do with vampires.

Also, the places you see in the movie, are real.

Freude am Fahren
May 22nd, 2020, 06:45 PM
Also, you know, it's a great show :p

I loved how last night's episode moved the GVH plot forward a bit too.

JoshInKC
May 22nd, 2020, 07:33 PM
Related to the film- rather than the series, Wellington Paranormal is very funny too.

Leon
May 23rd, 2020, 02:13 AM
They had the duo from Wellington Paranormal doing Covid announcements during lockdown.

JoshInKC
May 23rd, 2020, 05:13 AM
Thinking about it, them making PSAs is about the most obvious thing in the world. Watching now on youtube.

Tom Servo
May 23rd, 2020, 07:30 AM
Wait, how'd you get ahold of Wellington Paranormal in the states? I've been trying to track it down, but stopped after Jemaine tweeted something about it officially being released here "soonish".

Cam
May 23rd, 2020, 02:03 PM
My gal subscribed to Netflix again, so I'm watchin' me some Punisher, season 2.

JoshInKC
May 23rd, 2020, 05:22 PM
Wait, how'd you get ahold of Wellington Paranormal in the states? I've been trying to track it down, but stopped after Jemaine tweeted something about it officially being released here "soonish".

I wouldn't worry about that...;)
After 2 seasons aired with no word, I figured it would never show up over here so I decided that less than legal avenues were acceptable.

MR2 Fan
May 23rd, 2020, 05:34 PM
Well I WAS watching the current season of Terrace House, that featured an adorable wrestler named Hana Kimura, but she just committed suicide :(

Kchrpm
May 23rd, 2020, 08:43 PM
Watched The Lovebirds on Netflix while in a video chat with some friends. It's very similar to Date Night, but also very fun. It was originally going to get a theatrical release, but I think it almost fits better with this release method.

sandydandy
May 24th, 2020, 06:13 PM
I've binged up to episode 9 right now. I think it's great and am bummed there's only one more episode to go for this season. I finished watching Never Have I Ever and loved it. So easy to watch too, as the episodes were all under 30 minutes.

I hope there’s a second season, but it’s kind of unnecessary at the same time.

One of the things I loved were all of the scenes involving the dad. His face, demeanor and mannerisms were absolutely hilarious. Literally almost every scene. Great acting!

Freude am Fahren
May 25th, 2020, 08:15 AM
Slammed through Waco in two days (only 6 episodes).

Really well done, and though I don't know enough to make blanket statements about accuracy, it's clear it was a giant shit show out there.

speedpimp
May 29th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Watched The Lovebirds on Netflix while in a video chat with some friends. It's very similar to Date Night, but also very fun. It was originally going to get a theatrical release, but I think it almost fits better with this release method.

Really good movie and I probably would've seen it in the theater.

sandydandy
June 2nd, 2020, 03:34 PM
The original TMNT movies are on Netflix. I watched the first two last night after many years. First one was great, second one not so much. Doubtful that I’ll watch the third one.

It was a nice trip back to my childhood. Or teen years.

MR2 Fan
June 2nd, 2020, 03:35 PM
go ninja go ninja go....go ninja go ninja go

sandydandy
June 2nd, 2020, 03:36 PM
Ugh that was the worst part!

MR2 Fan
June 3rd, 2020, 03:59 AM
:lol:

Kchrpm
June 3rd, 2020, 04:33 AM
Blasphemy.

Anywho, I watched A Black Lady Sketch Show, and it was hilarious.

I also watched The Wrong Missy, and it was very funny but had a lazy ending. Or maybe, for personal reasons, I just don't like the ending.

speedpimp
June 3rd, 2020, 04:45 PM
Star Trek: Picard and Why Women Kill. Picard is really fun and very well done. WWK is great because it spans three different eras in the same house. Lucy Liu is great and chewing her way through the scenery. So glorious.

MR2 Fan
June 7th, 2020, 06:29 PM
I'm so confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLOLGfFA5E

sandydandy
June 8th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Watched a few episodes of the Dark Side of the Ring. Benoit (of course), also Dino Bravo and Owen Hart. Owen’s episode was pretty sad. Watched part of New Jack as well, but stopped in the middle cause it was just too gruesome.

speedpimp
June 8th, 2020, 04:08 PM
You mean the "Mass Transit Incident"? Yeah that was fucked up, bruv.

George
June 9th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Well, it looks like they actually went and did it!

I don't have much interest in seeing this, but the original was kind of fun. It was like a bridge between Jeff Spicoli and Wayne & Garth.

Party on, dudes! :rawk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=82&v=0hAL7emClFM&feature=emb_logo

It does bring up some interesting possibilities for sequels long after the original, starring the same actors decades later. The recent Halloween sequel comes to mind, as does Leonard Nimoy playing Mr. Spock for forty-nine years.

They could do a Ferris Bueller remake were Ferris is now a middle-aged dullard who gets weary of his desk job and decides to take a day off from work. I could relate to that.

Any other ideas?

sandydandy
June 9th, 2020, 11:50 AM
You mean the "Mass Transit Incident"? Yeah that was fucked up, bruv. Yeah bruv, seriously.

Anyway, started on season 4 of 13 Reasons Why. Not very enthusiastic about it. Might just skip it altogether.

Tom Servo
June 9th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Any other ideas?

Xanadu but with Bird scooters.

speedpimp
June 23rd, 2020, 02:50 PM
An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn is one hell of a bizarre movie. It's got one hell of a cast and revels in its oddness. It's on Netflix.

sandydandy
June 27th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Just watched the Fanatic. Great acting by John Travolta, even though the movie itself was a pile of rubbish.

speedpimp
June 28th, 2020, 08:46 AM
So what you're saying is that it is what you'd expect from the lead singer of Limp Bizkit, me bruv?

sandydandy
June 28th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Saw Fred Durst’s name in the opening credits, bruv. Didn’t think it was the same guy.

Anyway, I watched the three part series Dracula, on Netflix. Quite good. Claes Bang knocked the role out of the park.

SportWagon
July 1st, 2020, 05:31 PM
Sometimes I leave my DVR on the wrong channel, and it records things I don't usually watch.

One time that way it recorded the first few minutes of Touched by an Angel, Season 7 Episode 17 (March 11, 2001).

A detailed plot summary is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touched_by_an_Angel_(season_7)

It concerns reforming the "alcoholic womanizing" star of a weekly television show about an angel who solves problems, partly by magical (supernatural) skills.

From just the beginning of the episode, and the plot summary, the show episode came across as a fairly harsh sendup of Michael Landon and his Highway to Heaven--which show is somewhat watchable, perhaps as Speedpimp said, because of the interaction between Michael Landon and his co-star, playing an ex-police officer.

No reference actually acknowledges any specific sendup, and the hypothetical show depicted within Touched by an Angel ("The Avenging Angel") does not have a lot of detailed parallels with the actual Highway to Heaven. Since Landon had died of pancreatic cancer in 1991 at only 54 years of age, an actual specific satire would have been somewhat bad taste.

As I never watched either series in first run, I had assumed they were concurrent competitors, but actually Touched by an Angel did not start until 1994, a few years after Highway to Heaven had finished in 1989, with the particular episode actually almost ten years after Landon's death.

Tom Servo
July 1st, 2020, 06:25 PM
It probably doesn't help that I always called that show "Touched by an Uncle"

sandydandy
July 1st, 2020, 07:23 PM
Eww.

sandydandy
July 2nd, 2020, 10:43 PM
Finally got around to watching X-Men: Dark Phoenix. I didn’t love it...not at all. It seriously sucked. The only silver lining was that it was better than X-Men: The Last Stand.

The thing that bugged me the most was the utter lack of chemistry between Scott and Jean. Something that has been prevalent throughout the X-movie franchise since 2000. Supporting characters were largely wasted in this film as well.

So that closes out the Fox X-universe. Overall grade for the franchise is 7/10, in my opinion.

Marvel Studios, it’s your turn.

Leon
July 4th, 2020, 02:23 AM
I'm rewatching Community. Because good is just good.

Kchrpm
July 4th, 2020, 10:00 PM
Hamilton

neanderthal
July 5th, 2020, 09:49 PM
Hamilton

Das ist gud!

Phil_SS
July 6th, 2020, 06:43 AM
I finally got to see "Baby Driver". Damn good movie! Loved it.

sandydandy
July 9th, 2020, 12:14 AM
Catching up on Suits, such a great show. Spent the last few weeks watching seasons 1-6, which I already saw a few years ago, but that was the furthest I’d ever went. Three seasons left. Today I enter uncharted territory as I start season 7.

sandydandy
July 15th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Finished watching Suits. It was a long journey getting through nine seasons. Maybe I’ll revisit it one day. One of the best legal dramas you could watch. Highly recommended to all.

I just learned today that there’s a Korean knockoff of this show as well, also named Suits.

JSGeneral
July 16th, 2020, 02:59 AM
The Cold Blue

Back in 1943, William Wyler went over to Europe to film a documentary of the Memphis Belle. He took footage at the base but also had 3 separate film crews go up in some of the B-17s during their bombing runs. The documentary released during the war was "The Memphis Belle: The Story of the Flying Fortress."

Back in the present, all versions of this documentary film are now scratched/cut to hell over time and barely viewable. Cue Erik Nelson who wanted to restore it. He heard that all of the original footage were in the archives... never opened. Instead of just redoing the original documentary frame by frame using this pristine film, he also found a ton of other footage that never made it into the documentary. He took all the raw (color!) footage straight to 4k and made his own film. I cannot express to you how real it looks. It's almost seems fake. Like it was shot yesterday on modern equipment.

The archival footage has no audio, so Nelson stepped up the authenticity effort even more. He tracked down the handful of B-17 bombers that remain in flying condition, and used modern sound equipment to capture their exact sound. The film's narration is taken from interviews with the few surviving veterans of the 8th Air Force.

It's really quite moving to experience what happened in the skies over Europe in WW2 as if you were there. It's on HBO and worth a watch.

George
July 16th, 2020, 09:25 AM
^ I would love to see that! I also hope to see They Shall Not Grow Old.

sandydandy
July 19th, 2020, 08:00 PM
Watching the final season (8) of Homeland. Just started. This should be interesting.

Leon
July 19th, 2020, 09:49 PM
The Cold Blue

Back in 1943, William Wyler went over to Europe to film a documentary of the Memphis Belle. He took footage at the base but also had 3 separate film crews go up in some of the B-17s during their bombing runs. The documentary released during the war was "The Memphis Belle: The Story of the Flying Fortress."

Back in the present, all versions of this documentary film are now scratched/cut to hell over time and barely viewable. Cue Erik Nelson who wanted to restore it. He heard that all of the original footage were in the archives... never opened. Instead of just redoing the original documentary frame by frame using this pristine film, he also found a ton of other footage that never made it into the documentary. He took all the raw (color!) footage straight to 4k and made his own film. I cannot express to you how real it looks. It's almost seems fake. Like it was shot yesterday on modern equipment.

The archival footage has no audio, so Nelson stepped up the authenticity effort even more. He tracked down the handful of B-17 bombers that remain in flying condition, and used modern sound equipment to capture their exact sound. The film's narration is taken from interviews with the few surviving veterans of the 8th Air Force.

It's really quite moving to experience what happened in the skies over Europe in WW2 as if you were there. It's on HBO and worth a watch.

Jeeze okay, from your suggestion I watched this.

Fascinating / depressing.

Phil_SS
July 20th, 2020, 09:23 AM
There is a really great documentary on Netflix called " Five Came Back". The summary from Netflix: "Five acclaimed contemporary directors tell the story of five legendary Hollywood filmmakers who enlisted in the armed forces to document World War II."

William Wyler and the making of The Cold Blue is part of the show, along with the other great filmmakers and the movies they made during the war as well. And then how that influenced their making of films after the war.

Highly recommend it. Plus Netflix has all the movies they made during the war available to watch.

This new version of The Cold Blue has me intrigued. Might have to pick up HBO to watch it.

sandydandy
July 24th, 2020, 06:32 AM
Finished watching Homeland season 8, the final season. Quite good, but quite complicated as well. I'm going to miss this series, it's one of my all time favorites. Maybe I'll rewatch it once a year.

Watched Joker a few days ago, simply outstanding.

Just finished watching Unsolved - The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious BIG. Really well executed storytelling, and great acting as well. Josh Duhamel was solid in the lead role.

Soft spoiler alert: (Biggie and 2Pac die).

Real spoiler: We learn the identities of the killers of both rappers, and their benefactors (Puffy and Suge), but also the frustration involved with the inability to prove it. These cases will likely remain "officially" unsolved forever. Nobody is interested in pursuing them anymore.

speedpimp
July 24th, 2020, 03:46 PM
There was supposed to be a movie coming out about Biggie's murder with Johnny Depp. Then it got shelved when he got accused of some shit. Now with all of the COVID wackiness it may never see the light of day.

Kchrpm
July 25th, 2020, 10:08 AM
I decided to test out the Zillenial lifestyle and am rewatching a series that I've already watched all of, Agents of SHIELD. So much has happened that I have completely forgotten or need to be reminded of, it's a very good experience, I can see why people do it.

SportWagon
July 25th, 2020, 11:22 AM
There was supposed to be a movie coming out about Biggie's murder with Johnny Depp. Then it got shelved when he got accused of some shit. Now with all of the COVID wackiness it may never see the light of day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Lies

speedpimp
July 26th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Sporty. That's the movie.

MR2 Fan
July 26th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Soft spoiler alert: (Biggie and 2Pac die).

That's just what they want you to believe :p

Leon
July 26th, 2020, 10:11 PM
^ I would love to see that! I also hope to see They Shall Not Grow Old.

I saw that, it's astonishing what human beings do to each other.

sandydandy
July 27th, 2020, 09:45 AM
That's just what they want you to believe :p Yeah I heard they're both living it up on a beach in Cuba. :lol:

Anyway, I watched a couple of great movies/shows recently.

Fear City: New York vs. The Mafia - Outstanding 3-part mini series showing the supposed fall of the Mafia in New York, and Giuliani's rise to power. I think the Mafia is still around and still relevant, but much less overt in their influence and antics.

Zodiac - Truly mind-bending thriller, and of course a true story.

Color Out Of Space - Nic Cage's acting was pretty damn good. I didn't really like the movie overall...it was kinda weird. I'm surprised it's received such high ratings.

Currently watching Indian Matchmaker with the wife. It's cringeworthy so far and makes Indians look stupid and superficial...which is somewhat true. :angry:

(I can say that, you can't!)

George
July 27th, 2020, 11:10 AM
I saw that, it's astonishing what human beings do to each other.

Like podcasts? If so, you might enjoy Hardcore History from www.dancarlin.com.

His six-part series on WWI called Blueprint For Armageddon is excellent. He has lots of others about what human beings do to each other.

Leon
July 27th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Weirdly while I like documentaries, and history books, I've never once listened to a podcast.

Cam
August 2nd, 2020, 03:52 PM
Lori and I watched a few episodes of Grand Designs. In one, a young couple bought an abandoned dairy in London that was basically a garbage dump. It cost over 900,000 quid! :eek:

Phil_SS
August 4th, 2020, 06:34 AM
I bought the 4K version of Rad, which was just released after years of rights issues. And it was as awesome as I remember. I grew up as a BMX kid and it was one the quintessential movies of my childhood.

Too bad Lori Loughlin is such a dishonest person nowadays. She was devastatingly cute back then. One of my first crushes.

Tom Servo
August 4th, 2020, 11:26 AM
Oh yeah, Full House was annoying as shit but worth watching 'cause of her.

I've never seen Rad, I might have to check that out.

Freude am Fahren
August 13th, 2020, 08:19 AM
That reminds me, anyone remember Airborne with the inline skating surfer and Seth Green?

I gotta watch that again to see how badly it holds up.

JSGeneral
August 13th, 2020, 09:50 AM
That reminds me, anyone remember Airborne with the inline skating surfer and Seth Green?

I gotta watch that again to see how badly it holds up.

And Jack Black is in there too... It's a terrible movie but the street race down the "Devil's Backbone" is still worth checking out.

JoeW
August 15th, 2020, 07:34 PM
Ted Lasso on Apple TV is fantastic.

MR2 Fan
August 15th, 2020, 07:43 PM
started watching Shameless....Emmy Rossum makes the show really worth watching

sandydandy
August 15th, 2020, 09:34 PM
Watched the movie Searching, it was very good. Quite the emotional roller coaster ride throughout. Well acted. I read it was made on a shoestring budget, less than a million dollars, yet pulled in over $75M. Unbelievable return.

speedpimp
August 16th, 2020, 01:35 PM
I've watched Ready or Not and Jojo Rabbit today. Both are excellent.

Dicknose
August 16th, 2020, 03:15 PM
atching Indian Matchmaker with the wife. It's cringeworthy so far and makes Indians look stupid and superficial...which is somewhat true. :angry:

(I can say that, you can't!)

Which is just saying that there is a percentage of them that are like that - which is pretty much the same as everyone else. See also Crazy Rich Asians.
Sometimes its good to see other cultures are not that different, they just channel their insecurities in different styles.

JSGeneral
August 16th, 2020, 06:20 PM
I just watched the first episode of the new HBO series Lovecraft Country... and holy shit am I hooked on it!

dodint
August 17th, 2020, 05:58 AM
I've been watching Corporate and really enjoy it. I'm not sure why. Something is off about the production. And every character is just a notch too far. But it somehow works really well.

sandydandy
August 23rd, 2020, 09:42 AM
In the middle of watching High Score. It’s so good.

Watched the Kindergarten Teacher, which was quite good.

Also watched Shimmer Lake, which was kind of a knockoff of Memento in terms of storytelling. It was alright at best.

dodint
August 23rd, 2020, 11:17 AM
High Score has been a let down. It's billed as a fun compact early history of video games. But it's mostly a collection of ultra-obscure personal stories about how video games impact marginalized individuals. Noble, and worthy, just not faithful to the marketing.

Blerpa
August 23rd, 2020, 01:16 PM
Also it is not so good: it gets away without mentioning plenty of history of PC Gaming which is criminal, it brushes off Roberta Williams in few seconds and also glorifies Final Fantasy without citing the fundation of RPG in videogame history (and the game that was copied to do FF): Ultima.
Basically a not well thought series with a very partial angle on pretty much anything videogame related.

dodint
August 23rd, 2020, 03:07 PM
Yeah, it's better viewed as a trivia series than anything.

I did appreciate their mention of the Fairchild Channel F when discussing the beginnings of cartridge based systems.

sandydandy
August 24th, 2020, 10:53 AM
High Score has been a let down. It's billed as a fun compact early history of video games. But it's mostly a collection of ultra-obscure personal stories about how video games impact marginalized individuals. Noble, and worthy, just not faithful to the marketing.

Also it is not so good: it gets away without mentioning plenty of history of PC Gaming which is criminal, it brushes off Roberta Williams in few seconds and also glorifies Final Fantasy without citing the fundation of RPG in videogame history (and the game that was copied to do FF): Ultima.
Basically a not well thought series with a very partial angle on pretty much anything videogame related. Is it really that bad? I only watched two episodes and thought it was pretty good. The first and I think 4th or 5th episode, (the fighting game one). I did notice how they focused a lot on e-sports. Anyway, maybe I'll skip the rest.

Saw the movie Us recently. It started out great but devolved into something bizarre before it became along the lines of just another horror flick. People compare this movie to Get Out, because it's the same director, but this one sucked in comparison. Get Out was a serious mind-fuck thriller with genuine terror.

dodint
August 24th, 2020, 04:47 PM
I will finish it. Just didn't align with expectations.

FaultyMario
August 24th, 2020, 04:57 PM
90's action flicks and spy movies.

sandydandy
August 26th, 2020, 06:15 AM
Watched After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News. A compelling documentary and sad look at how fucked up the world, especially America, is becoming.

Jacob Wohl has a very punchable face. Somebody needs to put him in the Camel Clutch, break his back and fuck his ass.

Tom Servo
August 26th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Jacob Wohl and his little henchman Jack Burkman are probably my two favorite idiots right now. Every one of their schemes falls apart almost immediately, and often hilariously involving things like Jack standing around with his fly open or their getting busted when the phone # to their "security company" just goes to his mom's voicemail. So good.

I want to watch "After Truth", but I know it'd make Michele rage and...well...it's not like we have much time these days where only one of us is at home.

sandydandy
August 26th, 2020, 07:02 PM
Jacob Wohl and his little henchman Jack Burkman I got the sense from watching that it was the other way around. I wouldn’t know...I only first heard of the two of them yesterday, and yeah their scheme (Mueller’s supposed rape victim) did fall apart quite hilariously.

JoeW
August 29th, 2020, 07:10 PM
If you’re a Gen Xer watch Class Action Park on HBO and enjoy.

Tom Servo
August 29th, 2020, 08:42 PM
I got the sense from watching that it was the other way around. I wouldn’t know...I only first heard of the two of them yesterday, and yeah their scheme (Mueller’s supposed rape victim) did fall apart quite hilariously.

Make sure not to miss them trying to paint Elizabeth Warren as a cougar preying on young military men.

dodint
August 31st, 2020, 05:17 AM
If you’re a Gen Xer watch Class Action Park on HBO and enjoy.

This looks good, thanks!

sandydandy
August 31st, 2020, 05:51 AM
Watched 1BR. Quite a decent thriller.

Alan P
August 31st, 2020, 09:09 AM
Ted Lasso. Up to Ep 5 and it's really nice in a infectious way. You can't help but root for Ted to succeed.

JoeW
August 31st, 2020, 10:24 AM
Agreed. Loving Lasso.

Latest Lovecraft was great...intense.

dodint
September 5th, 2020, 06:42 AM
Class Action Park was good. A bit light on any kind of story, but a good shot of nostalgia and intrigue.

sandydandy
September 5th, 2020, 12:23 PM
In the wake of Chadwick Boseman's recent death, I decided to re-watch Captain America: Civil War. He was so badass in that. They took Black Panther off of Netflix, so can't re-watch that yet.

I also decided to give Spider-Man: Homecoming a second shot. It was quite good. Didn't really appreciate it enough the first time. I think I was put off by all the Spidey reboots, but this was pretty good. Far From Home will be next, whenever it shows up.

JoeW
September 5th, 2020, 07:29 PM
Let me be the first to give everyone the green light to watch Raised by Wolves on HBO. Fucking amazing so far...in my opinion of course.

Cam
September 6th, 2020, 04:42 AM
Starting the second season of The Boys.

speedpimp
September 6th, 2020, 09:02 AM
Starting the second season of The Boys.

Steam rolled the first three episodes.

Restarted my Shudder sub.

Phil_SS
September 6th, 2020, 05:39 PM
My wife, daughter and I finally were able to see Hamilton. By far one of the greatest pieces of art ever created. Just plain brilliant. Instantly jumped into my top 3 movies/shows of all time.

My daughter and I went canoeing today and while we slowly paddled down the lazy river, we sang songs from it. I know it is a connection that we will have for the rest of our lives.

Freude am Fahren
September 7th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Did they release The Boys like that for season 1? Watched ep.1, but I might wait until they're all out to binge.

Finished Umbrella Academy season 2. Excellent.

Got my girlfriend to watch a couple of our generation's classics, Office Space and The Princess Bride, neither of which she had seen. She loved them both, and there were about a dozen, "Oh that's where that meme is from." :lol:

Also got her through Star Wars up to Ep. VIII before running out of time. She'll have to watch RoS on her own. We also skipped Rogue One to come back to, which is sad, since it's probably the best of the 5 modern ones. We did a weird order too. I couldn't decide if I should go in release order or chronology. She hadn't seen any, but already knew the big father twist, so we started with New Hope, and then went in chronological order (so IV, I, II, III, V, VI, VII, VIII). A bit weird, but I think it make the prequels better if you know a little about Darth Vader and Luke, but not too much. She didn't realize Anakin was Vader until towards the end of the Attack of the Clones :lol:.

On planes, I watched Richard Jewell (pretty good, though I felt a bit of the Clint Eastwood driven propaganda) and the new version of The Lion King, which was also pretty good.

sandydandy
September 7th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Watched Spider-Man: Far From Home. It was quite a mess of a movie.

sandydandy
October 1st, 2020, 05:33 AM
Watched American Murder: The Family Next Door. It was disturbingly shocking to say the least, and overwhelmingly sad.

Brought back memories of Susan Smith. I can’t believe I don’t remember hearing about this on the news in 2018.

speedpimp
October 1st, 2020, 01:18 PM
I really enjoyed Utopia on Prime. Probably the best thing John Cusack has done in years.

Archer is back for season eleven. Watched the first four episodes today and it's just as good as it ever was.

Fargo, season four, has just started. Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman star and Timothy Olyphant is along for the ride as well.

JoshInKC
October 1st, 2020, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to Utopia - I've probably talked about how much I liked the original british series on here. Haven't been able to start it because my wife has been spending every evening trying to make a writing deadline, but finished last night.

FaultyMario
October 1st, 2020, 02:32 PM
Congrats on that!